Jane the Virgin Season 2 Spoilers

Jane the Virgin's Justin Baldoni Talks 'Crazy' Jane/Raf Date, Twins Shocker

Is Jane the Virgin‘s heart once again beating for Rafael?

After picking — and letting go of — ex-fiancé Michael, the titular heroine finally agreed to go out on a date with her baby daddy. But will they actually go through with it?

Star Justin Baldoni tells TVLine that viewers will indeed see “at least pieces of” that crucial date. However, “it wouldn’t be Jane the Virgin if there weren’t complications,” the actor warns.

“A crazy cliffhanger will probably come up,” Baldoni continues. “If you’re expecting happily ever after, you’re not going to get it. But there might be something close.”

Below, Baldoni previews Monday’s Black Friday-themed installment (The CW, 9/8c) and explains why Rafael is OK being Jane’s second pick. Plus: Are three kids better than one?

TVLINE | How is the Black Friday experience for a rich guy like Rafael?
Neither I nor Rafael have ever been to a Black Friday [sale], so it was fun. I’ve heard horror stories about it, and I’ve also heard amazing stories. But Rafael comes from a very different world than me. The guy’s worth $40 million, so he probably could buy a Target versus needing to go and buy things at 80 percent off. It’s always fun for me when he’s experiencing something new. I remember last season [when he got] on the bus for the first time, which I had so much fun playing. It’s like you get to play this childlike wonder about a thing that everybody understands. That’s what we were going for with Black Friday — the girls are taking this so serious, and Rafael has no clue what he’s doing. He wants to show Jane how good of a dad he is. He’s in love with Jane, so he’ll do anything.

Jane the Virgin Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Does Rafael feel like he is Jane’s second choice?
Yes. He knows he’s her second choice, but he’s 100 percent in love with her. He doesn’t want anybody else. It was really cool to see him, as time passed, exploring a relationship with that other girl. But he called it off because she didn’t hold a candle to Jane. Even when she’s treating him badly, he still realized he was in love with her at her worst. That was a really cool moment to explore as an actor, but also to see the growth of Rafael, that he’s cognizant enough of his feelings to let somebody go that he wasn’t passionate about to explore and to try and fight for the mother of his child. I loved how they wrote that scene, and I love how they’re writing Rafael. He’s willing to fight and wait and, hopefully, get her to jump on Team Rafael, but Team Michael’s looking pretty good right now.

TVLINE | Does Michael become an issue for them again even though Jane’s starting to move on?
I don’t see Michael ever not being an issue with Jane and Rafael. He’s always going to be around. That’s about all I can say there. Michael’s not going anywhere. He’ll always be a complication.

TVLINE | When I talked to [executive producer] Jennie Urman, she said that she hoped it could be stolen sperm under the bridge between Jane and Petra, which is a great turn of phrase.
That’s amazing.

Jane the Virgin Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Could it ever be water under the bridge for Michael and Rafael? Could they be friends?
I don’t know if they can ever be friends. As long as they’re both in love with Jane, it would be very difficult. I think it’s little easier for the women. Men are very stubborn. All Rafael wants is to be with Jane and to be with his son, so if that can happen with Michael in the picture, then I’m sure Rafael could be open to it. But I just don’t think Rafael trusts him. Michael’s had it out for him this whole time. Look, if everybody became friends, the show would end. So we don’t want that to happen. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Is Michael still the godfather?
He is, which is interesting.

TVLINE | What was your reaction when you found out that Petra was having twins?
I was very excited to explore that because any actor looks for conflict, and Rafael has no shortage of conflict… So here’s this guy who never thought that he was going to be able to have kids and he has one sperm sample left, and it turns out he has two and now he’s got three kids and didn’t have sex with either girl. It’s pretty amazing, and I’m really looking forward to figuring out how we can navigate both of those worlds. Obviously, he’s still in love with Jane. It’s going to be hard.

TVLINE | How does he feel about Jane and Petra’s blossoming friendship?
Rafael’s on the side of whatever helps there be no conflict. He’s got so much conflict in his life already that if he can have at least those two be civil, that would make him happy, especially because, at some point, there’s going to be three children. The more they’re not trying to kill each other and hate each other, the better it’s going to be for Rafael.

1. Courtney says:

Great interview! I am Team Michael, but I love see Rafael in “Dad-mode” and him and Jane do have some adorable moments. I am all for a well-handled love triangle. Things have been a bit messy and dramatic, which I didn’t really enjoy, but if both couples can be handled with respect – I am all for it. Jane is my favorite show on TV right now, so I just want more and more. Also, Justin is so adorable in real-life.

2. Ian says:

Team Michael all the way, although Justin’s a sweetheart. Jane and Michael just are a better fit. From similar worlds, they have fun together, and Michael makes her feel warm inside. So I needed to take a nap after the big fight cut Mateo’s arm, lol. This show can be exhausting.

3. Mika says:

Team Michael!

4. Guest says:

I am Team Rafael for sure. Michael is great but he’s her past, I think. And regarding Petra’s twins, could they be Aaron’s (Roman Zazo’s brother)? I’m not sure how much time has passed since Petra was kidnapped and they wet to that cabin, but that line to Rafael when Petra got the sonogram “do twins run in your family?” has to be a clue.

• LC says:

Actually, identical twins, which result from a single fertilized egg spontaneously splitting into two embryos, do not run in families. Tendency to have fraternal twins can be passed from mother to daughters only, because they result from the release of two eggs at once.

So it wouldn’t make sense for this to be a clue that Roman is the real father. But I don’t know if the writers got that deep into the science of it, so maybe that is what they were getting at.

• Cj says:

OMG!! I was actually thinking the same thing. What if the twins are not actually Rafael’s but Roman’s? However, if that is unlikely, maybe the hospital lost another patient’s sample (we might see him at the end of the season). It wouldn’t be a telenovela without some type of twist.

• sarahkay17 says:

thank u for ur review it just gave me hope that they wont be a petra n rafael ending pheewwww

5. Elle says:

I really love seeing Jane, Rafael and Mateo being a family. Not even thinking about the romantic side between Jane and Rafael but I feel like up until now, we never really got to savor Jane and Rafael’s relationship/their friendship. There’s always something that steps in between that and halts it and I hope that no matter what happens next (Jane’s new friend is writing a tell all on the Solanos??) the two of them continue to grow together.

6. A says:

I am Team Rafael I feel they are growing more and more as Parents and as friends and as lovers so they can be stronger as a family as time goes on and I feel Michael is her past. Also I feel there is a big twin story coming up when Petra asked him if he had twins that run in his family maybe his father has a team which him and Luisa don’t know about?

7. Susannah says:

This show is so interesting because it’s the only show I watch where I can see, and be happy with, both ships. I love the family dynamic of Rafael, Jane and Mateo but also love the friendship and commonality of interests that are part of Michael and Jane’s bond. I can’t choose!

8. Carrie says:

100% Team Rafael. Can’t help it.

9. Stella says:

100% Team Jane. Which translates into Team Rafael since he’s the man who respects and loves her unconditionally. Great interview!

10. breygi says:

Team no one right now. They are making Jane look fickle by having her constantly changing her mind and bouncing from man to man. Just because she can doesn’t mean she should. I want better for her than to be that girl.

11. Kim Jones says:

100% Team Rafael and Mateo! Glad Rafael won’t have to share his son with a man that hates him and believes his son is the worst thing that has happened to him. Glad Mateo won’t have to deal with a man that actively hates his father, and even though he is willing to “accept” him, really wishes he did not exist.

12. Soribel says:

Team Rafael 100%… but I would like to see some time fo by with them just being friends. Although Rafael loves her he should not feel like second best, so enough time should go by so that them 2 can grow as friends/parents. Jane can come to the understanding that he is clearly the best choice, Michael is the past, the boring past, Rafael is the exciting and passionate future. Jane should then pursuit him, not the other way around. Rafael deserves a lot more than second best!

13. Grace says:

I am Team Rafael, but I’m glad the whole triangle is being put to rest for a bit. Love Rafael though and this Target excursion looks like it’s going to be really funny.

14. Jeri says:

Team Rafael here. Great show, great cast! Good job.

15. ABC says:

On last week’s episode, when I saw the written narration go: “Let’s recap: Three babies, zero sex. #rafaelthevirgin.” I couldn’t stop laughing for five minutes.

It’s moments like this when I say this is easily the best show on television.

16. kd86953 says:

While I’m totally #TeamMichael, I do adore Justin (and the rest of the cast, for that matter). I’m all about Jane and Rafael finding a good balance between their relationship and parenting Mateo. It’s not going to happen overnight so I appreciate the awkwardness and dancing around-ness they’re doing. Throwing in Petra and the twins into the mix is amazeballs. Can’t wait to see all four of them (Jane, Michael, Petra, Rafael) co-parent!

17. Kp says:

100% team Rafael. They are the real love match here. I totally agree Jane should pursue Rafael. She is hiding from her real feelings and needs to realize the one who can destroy you is the one who can make you great if you commit to it. I love this show but would really like to see things heat up!

18. gwen says:

Team Rafael all the way…..

• Gatorgirl says:

Team Raf for sure!! I can’t take this…just get em back together already!! My real life is stressful enough…I don’t need this anxiety…no way I quit watching though. HaHa!

19. mayapotz says:

Team Rafael! From the moment I started watching this show, they just hooked me in. I know they’ll probably have to go through a lot, but they simply belong together, IMO.

20. rena says:

First I love Jane and Michael. Then Raphael is incredible. Then Michaels appeal grows and so on. Clearly the writers are good. I love this show.

21. Carmen says:

Team Rafael !!!! I would like to see more love scenes between them I hope they get married the show is great but Gina u shouldn’t pick between these two actor’s that not right the cast should b a team. The chemistry is amazing and that’s what makes a good show when the two main actors look good together love Rogelio!! Love Petra with Michael they should pair them together

22. Chris says:

I have discovered this wonderful show last weekend and binge-watched my way thru episodes 1-30. #teammichael all the way! Brett and Gina have such sweet chemistry together, they hit it out of the ballpark every time.

23. christina S says:

I’am team Rafael allll the way… i hope they can learn to be a family one day and stop bounceing back to their exes…