X-Files Revival Spoilers Fox

The X-Files: 12 Revival Premiere Teases That Will Put Diehard 'Philes at Ease

To paraphrase The X-Files‘ Mulder from the Season 2 episode “Duane Barry,” I know you’re scared, X-Philes, and that you’d like to see this all come out right.

After all, Fox’s revival of the alien-obsessed series is a William-magnitude blessing that has the possibility of becoming a black oil-esque curse: What if it’s just not as good as we want it to be?

After a few screenings earlier in the year, the network has released the premiere episode to the media. I’ve seen it. And rather than print up a special edition of The Lone Gunman, I’ll just tell you here:

You won’t be disappointed.

Now, because Fox will send black helicopters piloted by mutated bees my way if I reveal too much, the following teases are intentionally vague. (Sorry, but I saw what happened to Marita Covarrubias. NO THANKS.)

The following nuggets of intel, though, should help ease the wait before the revival’s Sunday, Jan. 24 premiere. And remember: The truth is… well, you know the rest.

* Just in case you’re an X-Files newbie who happened to read this far in the post, good news: The series does an excellent job of briefing everyone on the big takeaways from the previous nine seasons.

* The credits and theme music, as promised, remain the same.

* As previously reported, Mulder and Scully are no longer together romantically at the start of the continuation but the former agents also aren’t at “Never Again”/”Why don’t I have a desk?” levels of animosity.

* No one has forgotten about Scully and Mulder’s son, William.

* Mulder spends a full scene looking like a kid in an intergalactic candy store.

X-Files Revival Spoilers William* It’s weird how not weird it is to watch Joel McHale play a non-comedic role.

* Gold cross necklace? Check!

* Scully spattered with blood? Check!

* Mulder makes a giant leap to a conclusion. Mulder gives a lecture. Long story short: He hasn’t changed AT ALL.

* After one verbal excoriation, you’re going to put the word “claptrap” into heavy conversational rotation.

* There’s a subtle callback to the series’ pilot.

* There are at least two explosions.

I can hear the Men in Black approaching, so I’ll stop there. But hit the comments with your predictions/thoughts/feelings about Mulder and Scully’s upcoming return!

1. Troy says:

Can’t f-ing wait!

2. DavidJ says:

Glad to hear it doesn’t suck… but I’m still curious to know if Carter actually tries to make the show seem cool and modern and relevant in any way, or if he just carries on from before as if nothing has changed. Because even as a long time fan I don’t have much interest in delving back into his convoluted alien conspiracy storyline again, or in watching was is basically just a delayed Season Ten…

3. I’m two episodes into the seventh season. Should be done in time for the premiere, even after including The Lone Gunmen into the episode count.

4. E. says:

Don’t really care. After Fox and CC kept on pushing the break up and treating fans like they’re children, I’m rather meh over the whole thing. I’ll still watch, but I could care less about it now.

• Blackwood says:

Crazy talk. The build up has been perfect, treating fans to regular trailers and posters. They’ve done a fine job, it’s going to be brilliant.

• I disagree. Sure some of the Fox promotion has been fine. But they and, especially Chris Carter, have to stop pushing the idiotic breakup because, so far, the “reasons” given for said breakup disrespect Mulder and Scully’s long history of sticking together no matter what.

• Blackwood says:

How are they “pushing” the fact they’re not together? Chris Carter just answers whatever questions he’s asked during promo sessions. Just because you don’t like a creative decision, doesn’t make it “idiotic”. And just because Mulder & Scully aren’t in a long-term relationship (which they NEVER were during the show) doesn’t mean they don’t still have each other’s back.

Why not actually watch it and see rather than ragging on the guy who put his life’s work into into giving us decades of quality entertainment for free?

• Amanda says:

Agreed. The brilliance of X-Files is that despite the romantic tension between Mulder and Scully, they never acted on it until the last two seasons. Chris Carter was genius because the minute these became an item, the series would lose its appeal and it would take away from the alien conspiracy plot.

Seriously, shipping and OTPs have ruined TV series fandom.

• Mulder and Scully WERE in a long-term relationship. From the time the show ended until sometime after 2008 (we don’t know yet when they broke up). We just didn’t get to see it. Now, Chris Carter takes the easy way out and just declares that they are broken up (because Mulder’s depressed?!). That’s not true to the characters (I’ve seen every episode with them; have you?) who never left each other despite tremendous challenges. Now, we’re supposed to believe that Mulder’s depression and obsession was too much for Scully? Come on. Get real. And that’s not creative or a relationship progression. That’s regression! . And why doesn’t that make a lick of sense? BECAUSE they are at not that stage of their lives anymore.

• Em. says:

Wrong. Chris Carter is idiotic, not just in this one but in many other things. If you call it “creative” then hahaha I feel bad for your poor concept of creativity. Nothing Carter came up has been creative the last 15 years.

• David4 says:

As long as you watch they could NOT (the correct phrase you were looking for) care less what you think.

• The point is that some of their spoilers about M&S are discouraging fans from wanting to watch. Yeah, they care about the ratings — but to get the ratings, they need to be sure they have what people will want to watch.

• Melora says:

There mores to the show than the relationship. Its a shame thats all you care about

• Hope says:

I agree, I never watched the show because I was all thy concerned about their romantic relationship. I was from episode one because it was and is unique. Crime solving, conspiracies and aliens. That’s what the show is about. If someone just cares about their sexual relationship then maybe a soap would be a better option. Yes, I like seeing them together but it’s not what kept me watching. It’s not what I’m excited about for Jan! I cannot wait. I’m a true fan from the beginning!

• kmw says:

That’s not all we care about. The real point is why they cannot be a couple and argue and fight and everything else. They don’t have to be apart to do that. And I for one don’t care about them having sex on screen every minute( and in fact with Mulder and Scully now I don’t need to see that at all). The X -FILES has never been a romance show so I do not expect them to dwell on it.. How about Carter trusting his actors to convey a real relationship making progress instead of going backwards( and I am sorry its clear Mulder is regressing, not what I want to see). We wouldn’t even be talking about this aspect of Mulder and Scully if he hadn’t gotten them( sort of ) together in the first place. Did FOX make him do it? I don’t know but it seems clear he never wanted them together. This story is just standard fare for television, breaking up ,well established couples( ahem Castle and Beckett) because these writers are incapable of writing interesting stories for them. As if somehow Mulder and Scully being apart that way makes them more interesting. Sorry that doesn’t make their chemistry better than if they were together. I am getting less and less interested by the day in this re boot and not because of break up. it seems most of the critics who have seen it say its great and I am sure it is but this plot of them being broken up is not necessary

• Melora says:

KMW you sound like an overly entitled fan who just wants things their way. How about reserving judgment until you see the show?

• Who the heck said that all I care about. Don’t make silly assumptions.

• Hope: you never watched the show? Or do you mean you didn’t watch it in later years? Anyway, it isn’t Mulder and Scully’s fault (or the fans’ fault) that the writers didn’t know how to write them decently when their relationship blossomed into love and physical intimacy in the later seasons. I thought there was entirely too much emphasis by Carter on silly things like coyly trying to keep a secret the identity of the baby’s (William) paternity. Carter, unfortunately could not write a mature love story for them. And, by the way, I do not want Mulder and Scully’s personal life to be the center of the show! No way! I want their being together to be in the background while in the prominent foreground they investigate cases. That’s what the show is about! The cases! But while they are doing that investigating, I don’t want an everlasting agony that keeps them from being a couple. I don’t have to see love scenes. But I don’t want them split up at this time in their lives. We have not been given ANY good reason why they should be apart (Mulder’s “depression” is just a weak excuse).

• Oy says:

Yes, because The X-Files was all about Mulder and Scully knocking boots, right? Give me a break. Newsflash: couples break up. All the time.

• BM says:

And they especially break up all the time on TV…

• Invisigoth says:

It was largely about their complete dedication to each other, and ending up together under circumstances that make the breakup extremely unrealistic within that universe. Did you even watch the series?

• Melora says:

It was about the paranormal and government conspiracies. Mulder/Scully dynamic was an added element. Man you shippers really blow things out of proportion. Theres more to this show than them getting together. Stop being so shallow and vapid.

• Maybe you non-shippers should respect that there are quite a lot of shippers out there, and our views count too. The mini-series needs us ALL to watch.

• Adrienne says:

Oh, for– really?! There’s a reason every interviewer asks about their relationship. There’s a reason the Mulder-Scully dynamic is still discussed today in the annals of TV history. Their relationship, platonic or not, made the show what it was as much as the mythology or case files did. Maybe if you don’t like personal relationships in your tv shows, you should go watch Law and Order. As the show stands, “shippers” know the other aspects of the show are gonna be solid because that’s what this show does best. They’re worried about the relationship because it’s out of character and makes no sense based on what has been established in the original series.

• Did you watch the entire show back then? If you did, you know that your comment is just facetious. :) The show should be about the cases. But it is Carter and his breakup news that pulls everyone away from the cases and into M&S’s personal life. It didn’t have to be that way at all. He could have kept them together and let them be the committed couple they had been for years (after the series) in the background while concentrating on having them investigate cases. No matter what they are in their personal lives, they will always have different ideas about cases. They don’t have to be broken up personally to continue that great, energetic dichotomy. I want them to have a settled personal life so we can all concentrate on the cases. It’s not hard.

• Barry says:

That’s because whining about two fictional characters breaking up when the show was never about their relationship is acting like a child. I’m glad they broke up, they were never a good couple, and I don’t know how everyone ended up taking away “Mulder and Scully needed to bang!” from the show when it was about an alien conspiracy.

5. Donna says:

I saw it at New York Comic Con.
    DEFINITELY DOESN’T SUCK. In fact, it’s downright awesome. It’s The X-Files in every way.

6. BillyBobJohnson says:

clap·trap ˈklapˌtrap noun: Absurd or nonsensical talk or ideas. On the X-Files? Never.

7. ScottJ says:

I got to

“a William-magnitude blessing that has the possibility of becoming a black oil-esque curse”

and thought I’d clicked on a Haven article by mistake.

8. M.King says:

I still find it ridiculous that Chris Carter has to resort to splitting Mulder and Scully up to regenerate “tension.” He has a enormous plot, and tension can be generated anywhere else within that. Moreover, arguments suggesting that Mulder and Scully’s romance has ruined the show or decreased the tension in any way is RIDICULOUS and false. People’s relationships do not automatically get boring once they enter into a relationship – people still argue and have differences.

I love Kumail Nanjiani, but I absolutely RESENT his patronizing and false conclusion that romance equals boredom. Their relationship has always co-existed and even strengthened the plot; it grounded and humanized the sometimes ridiculous storylines. People don’t really relate to aliens, but to how much these two characters fought against and fought for one another, found love and truth within each other despite their different approaches and beliefs. Mulder and Scully didn’t lose their individual personalities the minute they became romantic; rather, it was Chris Carter’s convoluted plot and overwrought dialogue/drama that caused the show’s decline.

Even at its end, Mulder and Scully’s relationship was the strongest part of the show – the heart of a show that became a mess because the creator failed to keep a show bible and keep track of all the different storylines.

9. JustSaying says:

I’d just like to say: why is that every single time shows are reduced to shipping a relationship between the lead characters? It’s insane, there’s so much different things to enjoy. I really don’t care whether or not they’re together, I’m just excited we’re gonna see them after such a long time.

• Melora says:

Because people are shallow and jaded. And women are their own worst enemy. They say they want strong empowered characters but it always ends up being about the relationship.

• Spence says:

Ignoring Melora’s sexism, I completely agree with the original post. I love some TV romance occasionally, but it makes me sick when people completely twist the plot or characters of a show just because of a POTENTIAL relationship. Sherlock? Is that even about a clever detective anymore or is it all about “”Johnlock”? Same to OUAT and sadly even the Walking Dead (you can’t look at a TWD article without someone commenting about the ridiculousness of DarylxCarol or MichonnexRick).

• That’s nonsense, Melora. Mulder and Scully ARE empowered. They are great characters, and they are a team! They were always an unbreakable team until CC decided oh I should break them up as a neato plot device. Doing that put the spotlight on their personal life when it didn’t need to be there. So, blame CC, not female fans, for the emphasis on the relationship. If Carter hadn’t unnecessarily broken them up, we wouldn’t have to have this conversation.

• Blackwood says:

Guess what? YOU don’t get to decide what happens. You’re not entitled to see what YOU want on screen. How about you go create your own TV series, guide it to cultural phenomenon status and then watch shippers whinge about whatever you do next.
          Best of luck.

• Melora says:

I blame the fans for the characters being dumbed down because of CC giving into their demands. I will always love the first 5 seasons of the show….but when it became overly romanticized it LOST its identity.

• Adrienne says:

Just a reminder– the term “shipping” was invented by X-Files fans. It’s kind of a big deal. Mulder and Scully had sexual tension literally from the first episode, as the showrunners have stated time and again. Shippers don’t blow the relationship out of proportion, they give it the same attention and focus that the show itself has given it– a lot.

• Adrienne says:

Here’s how this comment reads to me. “This show has plots/elements A and B. I don’t care about B, therefore people who do are stupid and shallow. The people who care about A are right. Why do they even have that other stuff in it that I don’t care about it anyway?”

10. Zynski says:

Gallery: #1 Skinner…does the writer not know who Mitch Pileggi is? He hasn’t been missing or hiding in last 13 years. He was in 4 seasons of SOA….

11. peter says:

Mulder and Scully Are so great together that they don’t need to be a couple to be great is just watch the first 7 seasons of the show they were not a couple and yet they were their best friends , family co-workers ”soulmates ” with only one real kiss in seven seasons
    can’t wait for january

12. Joel Felan says:

Can’t wait!!!!! I’m just disappointed that the revival will only be 6 eps!.

13. rmmccartney says:

This whole feed is ridiculous. As a massive shipper (and, YES, I have seen every episode, own every boxset (on VHS and DVD), as well as many books on the show… For those insisting each person prove their Phile credentials before commenting), I am excited to see how CC plays this out. GA and DD have both indicated that they like where their characters are at in this revival; in IWTB, Scully’s character demonstrated that she was tiring at Mulder’s obsession with the truth – they almost called it quits, remember? So, it seems plausible, in the lapse of time that has occurred, that things have had to be called off (in a romantic sense).

Does the fact they’re not in a romantic relationship at the start of the revival mean that we won’t witness that same chemistry or tension present in the original series? No, it doesn’t. If anything, it gives the writers the opportunity of exploring this complex relationship and how it affects the characters. Does this break up mean that they won’t reunite? No, it doesn’t… I don’t believe we know how CC has chosen to conclude this mini series. Does this break up mean that M&S no longer love each over? No, it doesn’t.

I don’t know about you guys, but my relationships have never been perfect and I don’t have the added drama of government conspiracies, aliens, paranormal events, a number of murdered relatives and a son out there, living a life with another family. If anything, it makes perfect sense that one of them would have a breakdown and it would get too much for the other to handle.

The show is about these characters, but it’s the storylines that make it great too. I have faith that Carter will not let me down with this revival. If you don’t, and you can’t handle the idea of them not being romantically together, don’t watch! Yeah, we might not get another mini series, but at least you will have protested your anger at CC for making a change to the lives of the characters he created.

Jeeze, guys; lighten up and try to enjoy it, or just stay away and put your X-Phile badge into retirement.

• Blackwood says:

Very well said. 👏

• E. says:

Well said.

I’m unable to, due to how Fox and CC have treated fans before the ads and other promotion came out. They kind of rained on any enjoyment I could have had with this revival. Don’t get me wrong, I tried to find a way to enjoy it. But I guess I’m just worn out.

One thing I disagree with… is telling people to ‘stay away and put your fan badge away’. No. I still care for the show. I just don’t like it when people tell me what I should or shouldn’t do. Fans and other wise. It doesn’t mean that I don’t care about the characters anymore. I do. I just don’t like games.

I’ll watch the revival, sure. But it won’t be with much excitement. I’m really skeptical of what CC puts out. He hasn’t had the best track record as of late. So it would take some really good writing by him to have faith in him again.

14. Pat says:

Well, it’s a testament to the show’s power and popularity that complete strangers are arguing about the fate of fictional characters. Anyway, without a doubt the franchise would not be in this enviable position if it was not for the relationship of Mulder and Scully. The show dissolved without them.

Whether formally a couple or not they must be together to “fight the future”, find their son or whatever else they have to do for the episodes to work. We have always been led to understand that there was no one more important to them than each other. This was shown over and over again during the original series. This can’t be ignored.

It is annoying that C.C. has decided that splitting them up is good for “tension” but he knows of course that they are undeniably connected to each other. I’m going to hope that actually he is just messing with us and that he will not pull them apart for long. Ultimately it would be risky indeed to change the intoxicating and winning formula that so many people have become invested in. I guess we will all just have to wait and see…..

15. Ana S says:

* After one verbal excoriation, you’re going to put the word “claptrap” into heavy conversational rotation.
    What does it mean??

16. Gilda says:

I, for one, am excited for the new episodes. CC has always said that the the show is ultimately about two people searching for the truth. Sometimes they are just doing it separately. It’s understandable that their relationship would have its ups and downs. It’s also not surprising that Mulder would have some issues. He was always stuck partly in the past anyway which is why he had a difficult time accepting Samantha’s death. Nonetheless, CC should take note from another TV couple, Bones, that it can be done. They started out in the same fashion but they now have children although their relationship has had its problems. My real concern is William. I found it hard to believe that Scully would have given up William subjecting him to being found by the wrong people. I didn’t like that he was just used as a plot device. I can understand he might have complicated their ability to go monster chasing but surely there was other solutions.

17. Chris says:

When is the first air date….I saw Dec 28th but I can’t find it to record

18. Allison says:

Im so excited! My boys have been watching X Files on Netflix so the whole family is stoked! Excited to pass on a great obsession to my kids!