The Big Bang Theory Sheldon Amy

Big Bang's Mayim Bialik 'Heartbroken' Over Sheldon's Big Amy Decision

Any Big Bang Theory fans still moping about the final moments of Thursday’s episode? Take heart: Mayim Bialik is right there with you.

In a new blog post, the actress behind Amy Farrah Fowler has revealed how difficult it was to film a pivotal scene in which — ‘Shamy’ spoiler alert! — Sheldon confessed he did not want to get back together with his ex, for fear of getting hurt again.

“I don’t know that it is ever easy to sum up what it is like to perform a scene like this as an actor,” Bialik writes. “What I can tell you is that the reason that Amy looks so sad when Sheldon breaks her heart is that I felt sad.”

She continues: “I have written here before about not being a trained actor, and I don’t know if the way that I perform falls under the official category of method acting. What I can tell you is that I think I am actually a very bad actor because a truly good actor would be able to act heartbroken when they weren’t. I acted heartbroken because I felt it very deeply.”

But all hope isn’t lost for the quirky couple, as they will be taking a long-awaited trip to the bedroom (!) in the CBS comedy’s Dec. 17 episode. And according to Bialik, the Sheldon/Amy saga will only get more interesting in the coming weeks.

“… When I filmed the episode that you just watched, I had no idea what was going to happen in the next episode,” she concluded, “and that not-knowing-about-the-future was part of my process as well… It goes without saying that you should all stay tuned for next week’s episode. You will not be disappointed; I wasn’t!”

Your thoughts on the latest Sheldon/Amy developments? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. Robinn says:

Awesome insight. Love Shamy! Loe that she was just as heartbroken.

2. Luis says:

A perfect, heartbreaking moment. Completely logical that Sheldon, after experiencing heartbreak for the first time, wouldn’t want to risk feeling that kind of pain again. The heartbreak was etched across Amy’s face this time. It’s clear these two are meant for each other, but watching the slow, winding road they are taking in the relationship is absolutely amazing

• ninamags says:

Somebody should have told Parsons (and Sheldon) that they should have looked heartbroken when they broke up, He looked just the same as always.

• DaveO says:

Nah, that wouldn’t be Sheldon. What he said to her, when you take Sheldon’s mindset into account, was very sweet. While we clearly were allowed to see Amy’s heartbreak- we all know Sheldon isn’t normal. His emotions sometimes take minutes to catch up to his mouth. Leonard and Penny heard his side. We weren’t allowed to see Penny question him. Once she does, I think you’ll get what you want. That’s next week thou.

3. BillyBobJohnson says:

Yeah, yeah, year, we all know what happens a month from now. Shamy Lives!

4. Kim R says:

It was so touching but I think it would have been even more so if the fact that they will be getting together hadn’t been divulged already.

• suzl says:

I agree. It’s very disappointing to me that the show released this information–imagine the surprise if we didn’t already know.

• Kim R says:

When they had their first kiss on the train, I hadn’t heard ahead of time that this was going to happen and I was so glad. It was done so well and it was so unexpected. I wish they hadn’t taken that experience away from me this time. I really appreciate how they are writing this relationship with Amy and Sheldon. It is sweet and frustrating at the same time. :)

5. robandco says:

TBBT does serious really well. IMO it’s because they have really great actors. I know a lot of people do not like Amy but Mayim Bialik is truly amazing.

• Lyn says:

Mayim is very good. But, trying to express how much I despise Amy bankrupts my vocabulary. When Sheldon and Amy reconcile is when I stop watching the show with the exception of reruns. Amy is repellant in every aspect.

• suzl says:

Please explain why she is repellent “in every aspect”.

• ninamags says:

She was very inappropriate and gross in the early years. Especially in regard to Penny. It was creepy and disturbing.

She’s also pathetic and needy. She’s an effing doctor, isn’t she? She should have some self-respect.

• robandco says:

She wasn’t nearly as off-putting as Howard was in the early seasons, until Bernadette changed him. He was very creepy, but I guess he’s a man so he’s allowed to be creepy but when a woman does it it is unacceptable.
            I liked the old Amy. She had fun with her monkeys, she was obsessed with Penny (remember the giant painting of the both of them? I wonder where it is now) but it was fun, like a girl crush. She was her first female friend. I liked her better than the old Wolowitz.

• fiberlicious says:

Funny, I was thinking while watching this episode how human she’s become. She’s definitely not the same person she was years ago.

• jill says:

I’m baffled by comments like this. This show is about socially awkward characters who get themselves in uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing situations. If that puts you off then why are you watching to begin with?

• jenny says:

ninamags you are the same kind of book holder (not an avid reader, but the wooden kind that can be bought at a midwest spring garage sale) who references a lawyer she used ten years ago in a divorce (as her lawyer) and would expect all smart people to at least wear glasses. Feigning reactions or atrtibutes based on pedestrian reasoning, well its even worse than stereotyping. The character is just that a character, and an evolving, funny, contributing one. Beyond that lets see oh yes she just happens to be as you say it so eloquently an “effing” doctor.” so lets say all doctors have self respect, so they are never allowed to be needy or disturbing. I am guessing you are not a doctor.

• Tiffany says:

You have to think, Sheldon and Amy were both very socially and emotionally stunted since childhood. They, simply dealt with it in different ways. While Amy was starved for a human connection, Sheldon was always pushing it away. They really are two sides of the same coin.

• CountryQueen says:

Remember how the painting episode ended? Penny hung the painting up on the “4th wall” the one we look in on them through. I thought that was pretty clever. I agree with your points, but I had a love/hate relationship with Amy and her monkeys, I don’t like them being used for research, so that always made me mad at her.

• Jake says:

LOL I seem to see you pop up in every single article about TBBT to comment on how much you despise Amy. You surely have a lot of time on your hands to make sure everyone knows your opinion about her.

I agree with robandco completely. When a man is creepy and gross (and god knows Howard, but also Sheldon and Raj have made tons of creepy comments through the years), it’s funny and hysterical. When Amy does it, she’s gross and disgusting. When Sheldon says something inappropriate it’s because he’s socially awkward, when Amy does it, it’s because she’s messed up and insufferable. The gender biased double standards never stop amazing me.

6. James D says:

I think it is the exact opposite Mayim, I think the gifted actors are those who embody their parts fully and introduce a bit of themselves into the role. Very interesting insights from her, makes the scene more powerful for me for sure.

7. Mary says:

I kind of kept expecting Amy to get into an accident while she was driving and talking to Sheldon.

8. Kelly says:

Mayim deserves an emmy. She is so good in this role. I love Shamy and feel for them both in this breakup.

9. ryan says:

My mom and aunt are avid watchers. They are both very upset that the couple broke up. Therefore, Amy and Sheldon should get back together for the remainder of the show’s life.

10. Wes says:

I think Sheldon is a ego infested , unnatural poor excuse of a human being. He is rude and abnoxious and is not the Center of attention , I hate him and I do not wish to watch this show again. The rest of the crew are really funny, but he ruins the show

• Jeff says:

Sheldon the character clearly has Aspergers Syndrome. People with Aspergers tend to be very bright and analytical. This also causes problems socially because they also are incapable of picking up on social cues we take for granted. People with Aspergers can come off as inflexible, inappropriate and sometimes rude but they only see the world as black and white. To them you are either right or wrong. They are not keen to seeing or expressing the grey in the world they live in. While TBBT is a comedy the writing around Sheldon and his quirks are spot on. My son has Aspergers and I really appreciate how well it is portrayed. I see my boy struggle in social situations from time to time and occasionally I will see Sheldon go through similar things. Sheldon certainly does not ruin the show but is more of a PSA for people living with this syndrome. For that I applaud him.

• jill says:

That’s the whole point of Sheldon’s character. If you can’t find the humor in it, then, as you say, stop watching because this show is not for you.

11. ted says:

if I was amy I wouldn’t go back to him I love the show but Sheldon is crazy even if his mother had him tested

12. Sandra Bailey says:

Sheldon needs to be brave & know Amy truly wants to be with him.

13. Mayim, I’m sorry I have to disagree with you. I’ve loved you since Punky Bruster and Blossom. You are adorable AND smart! Every Mothers dream in a Daughter. Your character Amy deserves better then Sheldon but the heart wants what the heart wants. Keep up the good work!

14. It is sad for those two characters BUT as a viewer I’m tired of female characters that have everything going for them intellectually and otherwise putting up with men who treat them so badly. Enough! Amy is understandably sad but she will get over Sheldon. It is Sheldon’s turn to change now and while his character has grown some he is still obnoxious insufferable egotistical and cruel and a successful woman like Amy would not put up with him for long despite her loneliness.

15. Charlene says:

Oh I can’t wait I just hope Sheldon and any r back together and Sheldon proposes to amy and she says yes cause they r a very beautiful on screen couple they r perfect together and for each other a match made in heaven

16. niamhryan says:

Why Sheldon cooper can u not get back together with any well I hope you’re happy you broke amys heart😢