The Blacklist Fall Finale Season 3

The Blacklist Fall Finale Recap: Did Liz Manage to Elude the FBI Yet Again?

You can’t help but see a little irony in The Blacklist’s fall finale.

After months of living on the run, hopscotching from underground bunker to empty apartment and back again, it wasn’t The Cabal that finally got the best of Liz and Red. It wasn’t some demented blacklister that Red had his eye on for years, and it wasn’t even the FBI task force. (Well, it sort of was, but more on that later.)

Rather, the people who got the upper hand over Red and Liz were a ragtag bunch called Kings of the Highway, a bunch of trailer-park dwellers who make a living kidnapping and robbing people during their travels. In any other Blacklist episode, this unintelligent group would be a cakewalk for Red and Liz. But in the fall finale, they were the very folks who, at long last, got Liz arrested.

Briefly, here’s how it went down: At the start of the hour, Liz and Red are making their way through rural West Virginia, where Red tells Liz their fugitive life “will be over soon” — a sure sign that things are about to go very, very wrong. As predicted, their plan to exonerate Liz goes south at an unassuming rest stop, where Liz comes out of the bathroom to find that Red and his car are both gone.

We soon find that Mr. Reddington has been abducted and taken to a trailer in the middle of the woods, where the creepy (and unwashed) Kings of the Highway quickly carry out their plan to rob Red blind. (I know there’s always a method to Red’s madness, but why does he keep $25,000 in his pocket? For extra-extra guac at Chipotle?)

While Red tries to get out of this pickle, Liz tracks down Jasper, the tow truck driver who brought Red’s car to a nearby salvage yard after he was kidnapped. She finds him at a local bar and quickly turns the charm on — as well as a new name, “Kenya,” which is the least fitting moniker she could have possibly chosen — all of which leads back to Jasper’s apartment, where they plan to get freaky. But their tryst is interrupted by a phone call from one of the Kings: They’ve discovered that Reddington actually is Reddington (until now, he’d been calling himself “Kenneth,” a much better fake name), and they could make a fortune if they bring Red and “that Russian girl” to the authorities. Naturally, this information totally kills the mood between Jasper and Liz, and they duke it out in the truck driver’s kitchen. (Any Sons of Anarchy fans have a major Tara-death flashback when Liz was dunked in the sink? Still not over that.)

The Blacklist Fall Finale Season 3Liz ultimately gets the upper hand over Jasper, and she calls up the Kings to strike a deal: She’ll return Jasper to them if they return Red unharmed. But the leader of the Kings, Cash, says he couldn’t care less if Jasper lives or dies — no deal. And what a mistake that was. After realizing that Reddington is worth way too much money to kill, another member of the Kings, Pablo, turns on his co-conspirator and puts a bullet in Cash’s chest. Pablo ultimately agrees to the terms of Liz’s deal — but in addition to bringing Jasper, she and Dembe must hand over a mysterious care package that Red had been hoping to procure. We never learn what the contents of the package are, but they apparently hold the key to exonerating Liz — which makes it all the more disheartening to watch the parcel get handed over to Pablo and his skeezy partners in crime.

The good news? Red gets returned to Liz relatively unscathed. (And Liz manages to avoid sleeping with Super Creepy Jasper.) The very, very bad news? Ressler and his team had been tracking Liz all day, and shortly after Red is set free, the cops arrive. Red gets away, Dembe gets captured and Liz is left to hoof it through the woods… but she isn’t fast enough. Ressler catches up to her, gets her on the ground and — because he’s been waiting months to do so — puts Liz in handcuffs. (You had a good run, Liz/Masha/Kenya.)

Elsewhere in the hour:

* After realizing that Samar had done a search on Ressler’s laptop way early that morning, Aram is heartbroken to realize his crush slept with another agent. Samar offers Aram an apology, but his puppy-dog eyes remain in place for the rest of the episode. Sob!

* Oh, speaking of Samar? She gets fired. Indeed, after Samar confesses that it was she who undermined Ressler’s hunt for Liz and Red – not Cooper, who was initially blamed — Ressler sends Samar (who he slept with 12 hours ago) packing.

* Karakurt, Tom, Cooper and Charlene go on the run after three assassins break into Cooper’s house, hoping to kill the Russian. Thanks to a tracking chip in Karakurt’s chest, the group is quickly followed by Solomon and two of his associates — but Tom removes the chip quickly (and painfully) enough to get The Cabal members off their tail. From there, the foursome heads to a cabin on Lake Yvonne where they’ll hide out for a while — and in case you’re wondering how Charlene has access to this cabin, which is owned by her next-door neighbor, it’s because she was cheating on Cooper before he got sick with fake-cancer. Cheating! For shame, Charlene.

* Last, but certainly not least, Reven Wright pays a visit to Chairman Hitchen (returning guest star Christine Lahti), looking for information on a CIA operation that Solomon led back in the day. But before Wright can ask too many questions, Hitchen pulls out a gun and shoots the woman right in her chest. “I’m so sorry, honey,” she says as Wright bleeds out on her living room floor. “I’m going to miss you. I really am.” (Moral of the story: Everybody on this show has got some problems.)

With that, I turn it over to you. What did you make of Thursday’s Blacklist fall finale? Grade the episode in our poll below, then hit the comments with all of your thoughts!

1. Johnny says:

It was a good episode. I was expecting a legitimate Blacklister for the mid season finale, not KOTH. The next Blacklister of the Week is The Director and it’s apparently a two-part episode, so that’s something to look forward to. The dynamic between Aram and Ressler should be interesting and I’m interested in seeing how Samar fits into the show now. Maybe she works with Reddington to free Liz? Speaking of which, I loved Reddington’s last words to Jilly. She is definite in need of help. :)

Did anyone catch the name Reven Wright said as her last words? It wasn’t a name I recognized.

• Moose Hauser says:

It was the name of the Detroit PD cop that set up the murder of Ressler’s cop father. Ressler told Reven that story to demonstrate why he couldn’t turn a blind eye to both Cooper and Samar’s skirting of the law to help Red/Liz. Reminded me of “Rolo Tomassi” in LA Confidential, and I’m curious about whether it will be used in the same way to implicate Chairman Hitchen in a future episode (foreshadowing!).

• Sheila says:

I was wondering about that utterance. Ressler is so “by the book” but he pops pills. Hiding a pill addiction is not “by the book.” He annoys me. Did he ever kick that habit?Also, I cannot believe those hicks got the better of Red & Liz. Ugh! Aram, Aram, Aram! You weak jerk! He got Liz caught, betrayed Red, and got Navabi fired because his feelings were hurt?! It’s not like he ever asked Samar out on a date or declared himself. Jeez! Samar was scratching an itch, playing Ressler, and trying to spare sensitive Aram’s feelings. I loved when Samar confessed and showed Aram how much of an idiot he was. She had actually trusted him with info that she lied to Ressler about. But Aram was thinking with his small head and he ruined everything. Love this show!

• Sheila says:

To clarify, Aram was not in a relationship with Samar. It is not his business who Samar sleeps with. Aram was being petty. Just because you have a crush on someone does not mean that person has to feel the same about you.

• Maryam says:

There was a picture of the two of them together in Arms house when Red broke into it, suggesting they are more than just coworkers.

• Mark says:

It “reminded” you of L.A. Confidential??? That’s a kind way of putting it. The entire sequence was ripped off from that movie down to the last detail, almost verbatim. I suppose the writer hoped that most Blacklist viewers would be too young and/or ignorant to notice, but that’s a shoddy example of direct plagiarism, if I’ve ever seen one.

• Mike says:

My exact thoughts down to la confidential

• Johnny says:

Thank you!

• kelly says:

it was Tommy walken…the name of his dad’s partner that turned on him. .obviously her way of saying it was someone she trusted

2. Kat Johnson says:

Did not realize this was the fall finale, boo. Thought the upcoming 2 parter was. Gonna miss this show for the next few months.

3. D says:

Yes, she said the name Ressler told her in private. Think of the movie LA Confidential where he asked if he had any last words and he gave the name that only he and one other person knew.

4. Kevin Fowler says:

Good now that liz is caught, maybe end this government conspiracy bull and get liz and Cooper back. And get back to what the show is supposed to be about. Also I bet Samar will end up working for Red.

• Jules says:

She still shot and killed the AG. I’m really not sure how you come back from that, particularly as an FBI Agent. I’m interested to see where they’re going to go with that and the storyline in general once she’s exonerated from everything else.

5. ndixit says:

I hope the L.A. Confidential parallel plays out and Ressler gets to take down a Cabal big wig. That would be pretty cool.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

I give it an A. Great to see Liz finally get arrested and that makes Ressler one happy man even though he’s like channeling his inner Sam Gerard (the character Tommy Lee Jones played in The Fugitive). Can’t wait when the show returns January 7th.

7. Nichole says:

Pretty sure it wasn’t his pocket that Red was hiding the money in, good writing to throw that funny moment in what was a pretty intense episode :)

8. Bryan says:

Ugh, this is the second hit on google when you search “The Blacklist” and you put the finale’s spoiler in the title. You’re better than that.

9. ed castrege says:

shame on the show for lifting a plotline from the film “LA CONFIDENTIAL” the “rolo tomasi” sequence from the film is stolen blatantly used by the Lahti character when she shoots Reven. I hate when writers take cheap shortcuts!

10. Marcia Dolan says:

I’m sad they ( Red and Lizzie) are apart I do so like their chemistry with one another. I look forward to hearing who Red is and why the interest in Lizzie. I love the show, find some episodes great and some good. I think everyone will leave the FBI and join Red in cleaning up some scum. After the Cabal gets theirs, maybe they can go after ISIS.

11. tomalak says:

wtf are you doing putting the massive plot twist from the end of the fall finale IN THE PAGE TITLE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

12. S says:

This season has been so strong. The supporting players are so strong that I’m just as captivated watching them as I am watching Red and Elizabeth. Can’t wait for the 2nd half of the season!

• Jules says:

I agree! Even though it seems like they’ve deviated from the show’s original premise, it works here. Most shows would’ve had her exonerated and returned to her position on the task force by the end of the 2nd episode. I give the writers and NBC credit for dragging it out this long. Interested to see where the rest of the season goes.

13. Joey Padron says:

It was a good episode. Not good in preview for next episode Liz will be in danger. Can’t wait for the show to come back in January!

14. Kansas Blutbad says:

Chipotle Guac? trades on the open market like gold!

15. Marilyn says:

Loved the episode but I am so in the dark as to what Tom is really doing. Can someone explain that to me?

• Sheila says:

Cooper sent Tom to secure Carakurt (sp?) because he can prove he framed Liz and how. Red told them to keep Carakurt on ice as part of plan to help clear Liz. Cooper should have found a location for Tom to take that guy instead of Cooper’s home. Oh well, hijinks ensue!

16. Kevin Fowler says:

Really, this show is getting pathetic. Is everyone outside the task force in the government a member of the cabal? There is no way you could have a conspiracy this big and keep it a secret. They need to end this storyline soon. You don’t see conspiracies this big in spy shows, stupid. This show needs to get back to show the show is about, catching the worst of the worst criminals.

17. McSatan says:

Am I the only one who wants to see Ressler die a grisly death? No one that stupid should be allowed to live.

• tp says:

He gets on my last nerve. He’s only by the book when it concerns everyone but him. I’m yelling at my tv “ARE YOU REALLY SO STUPID AS TO THINK THEY WON’T KILL LIZ?!”
      He’s such an idiot. He and Aram deserve each other.

18. Fay Trevino says:

If only Liz wasn’t so rebellious. Did not see the Chairmen coming. sometimes it is the small stuff that is our undoing. As with the K.O.T.H and Reasselers laptop.

19. Jessica says:

Any episode is awesome when it features the great James Spader. Looking forward to the rest of the season and many more seasons to come.

20. mooshki says:

Christine Lahti’s character on SVU was so annoying that I can’t stand to watch her in anything else now. Wish she hadn’t been cast.

21. Murica! says:

I’m so sick of Ressler!! I hope he dies a horrible death! It’s not just the character, it’s also the actor. I hated him on homeland and he’s even worse on the blacklist! I hope Aram punches him in his face for sleeping with Samar.

• Sheila says:

Aram was not in a relationship with Samar. He had a crush on her. She did not cheat on him. It was not his business who she slept with. We agree that Ressler is an idiot.

• Ali says:

Don’t be hating on Ressler! You may not like him, but a lot of us do! The character is not dumb, his hands are tied behind his back and he’s doing his best to help Liz while in WAY deep with horrible people he’s been forced to work with. Do you even watch the show? and, shut the eff up about Diego! Diego plays Ressler wonderfully. Go watch Keeping up with the Kardashians, it’s more your speed.

22. CM says:

“Betrayal” was the theme of this episode for me. Almost everyone has been betrayed by someone else up to this point. Ressler was betrayed by Samar, and Cooper to a certain extent. Cooper was betrayed by his wife (which explains the frosty reception from the neighbor with the epi-pen in the last episode), Aram was betrayed by Samar and Ressler, Samar was betrayed by her brother, and Reven Wright was betrayed by The Chairwoman (C Lahti), I liked that character; I will miss her. The KOTH members betrayed each other. Although I think this was another A+ episode, I felt very sad for all the characters at the end. Can hardly wait for January to see what happens next.

• Sheila says:

Aram and Samar were NOT in a relationship. So Samar never betrayed Aram. It is NOT his business who she sleeps with. MAYBE Ressler broke the bro code……but, then again, were Ressler and Aram even bros? I don’t think so. They lied to cover that they had sex. The tryst was none of Aram’s business. They did not betray him by screwing.

• Jules says:

Okay…we get it. They’re not in a relationship. However, it’s clear to anyone with half a brain that Aram is in love with her. Did they directly betray him for hooking up? No…but it was still a dick move on Ressler’s part. Hers too.

• tp says:

So just because Aram had feelings for Navabi she’s supposed to tip toe around his feelings? You’re kidding right? The only dick move here is Aram for telling Ressler just because he figured out that they slept together. She trusted him AS A FRIEND with information on Liz. He’s kept info about Liz secret before so why not now? Only because he wanted to betray her trust the way he FELT like she betrayed him when she didn’t. Aram was petty and acting like a little b*tch.

23. Kirkimer says:

Wow, I didn’t like this episode at all. All that wasted time on some red necks who caught the most clever guy in the world with his pants down not once but twice. Totally out of character with who Ray Reddington is, he eludes the most skillful assassins on the planet but these yokels get the drop on him. Ruined the whole show for me.

24. Mia Hoz says:

Raven Wrights last words of Tommy Markin reminiscient of LA Confidential Kevin Spacey and Rollo Thomasi.. Her message from the grave will get to Ressler to look for a fink in the midst

25. Google “The blacklist” to watch this weeks episode online.

Get this as first result.

Thanks TV Line!

26. Carrie says:

I haven’t seen anything on this, so it might just be my imagination, but in the end when the FBI was arresting Dembe etc, there was someone with FBI jacket taking away the mysterious case. I thought he kept looking over his shoulder. We still don’t know what’s in it. But could it have gotten into the wrong hands again?

27. Mike says:

I like her last words ‘Tommy Markin’ which I’m sure will e her downfall when she asks after him and Ressler realises the connection

28. Deanne B says:

Red NEVER would have been overcome or outsmarted by that pack of Highway Rats…The episode felt like a bad filler till Jan 7th. We were disappointed that Red intelligence was insulted by these obvious idiots.

29. Paul derbyshire says:

You have got to put Liz back to being dark haired. Great show love it.

30. Paul derbyshire says:

Resller you have dropped Liz right into the lions den. Up to you now red, do your stuff. It’s not on again till after Christmas (gutted).

• Jean Alica says:

I think Red was stronger than people realize with the KOTH mainly because of the thinking on his feet system which has been very much part of the eight episodes of season 3A. Ressler has always been by the book but he was fair with Liz as she developed. I think we will discover that Ressler will do what it takes to save LIz. He may have to learn to bend a little as to show progresses in season three. Tom may become an occasional CI for Ressler but he will have nothing to do with Cooper or the main team as I suspect there are going to be enough problems getting back together with the odd argument and an atmosphere you could cut with a knife Towards the end of Season 3 into Season four. This is an action show with a Blacklist theme. What we do not need in it is a baby so if Liz is vulnerable for what ever reason I suggest Red sends her away and she comes back with out the baby and we forget about it rather like the dog the Major, Gina and Reds first family. I have also heard that Jennifer may magically going to appear about then but this girl will hate Red more than Liz ever did. She will be about ten months older than Liz because she was at school. Maybe a nice little Christmas party at her private school. Piano lesson and ballet lesson and her nice little friends. Come Boxing Day she is in drafty flat in a major city and her class sizes will be in the thirty’s. She may even have dropped out of high school? We will learn about Reds early life however or if there was another child in that house for one night. Or another woman seen from a sleep over bedroom. The questions everyone wants answers to. PS I have seventeen year old in my house to whom the name Liz is equivalent to Sainthood. Just in case your wondering Mr S it was not me. I am really happy there will be no more marriages. Happy Christmas to every one here. We are going to New York in March I will bring my creds.

31. Michael J. Jank says:

Did not care for the Jasper storyline.