The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: One Is the Loneliest Number

Enjoy your glass half full, The Voice fans — because come Dec. 8, Mark Burnett & Co. plan to knock it to the ground and leave you with broken shards all over your living-room floor.

OK, I’m being melodramatic, but the same could be said for the new elimination schedule NBC is planning for Season 9 of its Emmy-winning reality singing competition.

This week — as well as Nov. 24 and Dec. 1 — there’ll only be one hopeful sent to the guillotine, leaving nine vocalists to face off during the Dec. 7 semifinals. But the following night, blood will spill like it’s coming out of the elevator at the end of the hall in The Shining.

Indeed, on Dec. 8, a whopping five artists will get the boot — leaving four singers to duke it out in the following week’s Season 9 finale.

[INSERT SCREAM QUEENS-ESQUE SHRIEK OF TERROR HERE.]

Let’s not delay any further, though, and instead cut right to the Top 12 results:

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
Team Adam: Jordan Smith
Team Gwen: Jeffery Austin
Team Blake: Emily Ann Roberts
Team Pharrell: Madi Davis
Team Gwen: Braiden Sunshine
Team Blake: Barrett Baber
Team Adam: Amy Vachal
Team Pharrell: Evan McKeel
Team Adam: Shelby Brown
Team Blake: Zach Seabaugh

Bottom 3/”Save Me” Performances
Team Pharrell: Mark Hood, Steview Wonder’s “Signed Sealed Delivered, I’m Yours” | An occasionally shaky vocal, but dude left everything but his spleen on the stage, dropping to his knees, slapping the floor and howling “Got my future in your hands!” like a man possessed (by his desire to stick around). — Grade: B
Team Gwen: Korin Bukowski, Norah Jones’ “Don’t Know Why” | Korin missed her fair share of notes, too, and on a sparse, delicate ballad, that can be a lot tougher on the ears. The coaches droned on and on about this being her best performance, but obviously they’d forgotten (or been instructed by producers to forget) about her Knockout Rounds take on “Samson.” Even worse, though, she looked so uncomfortable from start to finish, the bad mojo practically pulsed through the screen to my couch. — Grade: C

Despite some ambivalence about the outcome, I nevertheless zoomed over to Twitter and got my #VoiceSave on:

Alas, my lobbying was in vain… the curse of “Against All Odds” (Mark’s Monday-night song choice) continues!

Twitter Saved
Korin

Eliminated
Mark

OK, your turn. What did you think of Top 12 results? Did America get it right with the Bottom 2? (If “yes,” what is your explanation for Braiden’s safety?) Was the right artist saved? Sound off in the comments!

1. Leon says:

Dec 8-The Hunger Games live on The Voice

2. analythinker says:

Well… I knew Korin was going to be saved. It’s The Voice viewers…

• analythinker says:

I’ll clarify: the viewers don’t particularly prefer older songs than newer ones. Mark’s been singing “old” songs.

• Leah says:

actually, America prefers songs about gunning people down just days after mass terrorist shootings. America continues to prove it’s stupidity.

• You do realize that Titanium is about a person metaphorically being bulletproof don’t you? I mean, you can’t be that stupid to think its actually about gunning people down. Who even knows if the song choices were decided on before the shooting happened.

• Andy says:

Given that the lyrics of “Titanium” indicate that the singer stands tall in spite of bullying or being “shot down,” the song is actually empowering and consequently appropriate for the situation because it corresponds with the resilience of and the support given to those affected.
          No need to keep repeating this argument. If everything gun-related were to be banned from TV this week, there would be very little to watch.

• Lucybuzi says:

Ok, who is the stupid one here? Know what the lyrics mean in the song before you be calling anyone stupid. That just shows your stupidity!!!!! Ok,

• Timmah says:

I don’t think it was Mark’s songs so much as that he didn’t really add much to them. As Simon would say, it’s nothing you couldn’t see in any hotel lobby across the country.

• analythinker says:

Just my observation from season to season, though. Signed, Sealed, Delivered has been sung a couple times or more on the show. Don’t Know Why, never, as far as I recall.

3. Andres says:

Sad to see mark go but song choice is everything. I still have hope that Korin can give us a Samson moment. And sendso braiden out

4. Angie_Overrated says:

Garbage results. Not sure why they even bother with the Save performances if the outcome is already pre-ordained. Not that Mark was flawless, but he easily beat Korin. Whatever.

• JM says:

Absolutely he beat Korin, and yet, Adam (who said he didn’t but really did choose a side) pushed Korin. Even Pharrell seemed oddly resigned.

• Angie'sBiggestFan says:

Are you feeling OK? I completely agree with you about this and about how disappointing Madi’s performance was last night. Something is not right…

• will says:

I seriously don’t hear why Mark beat Korin tonight. I mean, I thought for sure the voters would go with the one that was more upbeat and Mark always has his energy, but he was not on pitch most of the time and Korin was just better. The song fit her even though I personally find it super dull, but she still clearly sang better than Mark, and I just can’t understand why other people really think he deserved to go through over her. This is “The Voice” after all and hers is better.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oooph. Can’t agree with you there. Her pitch was no bueno on a really easy, range-free song and she was under on nearly every top note. Mark took a really hard song and gave an ok performance of it. There really shouldn’t have been any contest here. Largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things as neither has/had a chance of winning, but in the interests of fairness, Mark should have had at least one more week.

• So frustrating. Ideally, be male and white for this show. But if you can only be white, that might be good enough. And Braiden is still here.

• Lyle Sparks says:

Your observation is a stretch. It might have some validity as far as the recent trend goes (last 3 winners WM) but the overall balance over 8 seasons is 5W /3 non-W, and 5M /3F. Total WM is 3 of 8 — though as noted those are the most recent 3

• scott says:

Yes, more ‘fixery’. Mark is and was better than Korin in that save song. Braiden actually should’ve been the one singing for his life…. Wow, so many good vocalists kicked to the curb all season long.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Don’t agree, Mark just covers up his vocal deficiency with better stage presence and the ability to dance, while Korin basically stands there and looks uncomfortable as she performs. I think Korin has more of a chance to offer something interesting over the next couple of weeks, based on her Samson performance, than Mark did. In any event they both were going to sent home in the December 8th massacre anyhow.

• Tyler says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. After a while, all of Mark’s performances seemed the same–no matter what song he sang. He was all stage presence and nothing else. I think Korin has a better chance to surprise us with her future performances than Mark.

• I can’t vote in Hawaii but he was doomed by going first and all the pimping Korin got. And, get her hair back to its natural color. Platinum blonde does not suit her

5. Polarvortex says:

I can’t believe Braiden is still there! And while I’m not a huge fan of Mark I think he deserves a spot much more than Braiden!!!!

• LADY_in_MD says:

I am so with you on that I couldn’t even finish watching Braiden’s performance but the “oh look it’s a cute teen boy” voters are out there and voting like crazy!

• Ronnie says:

The tween voters strike again!! And he will stay in until bloodbath occurs in December and other talented artists will fall off as they do every season. I call it “The Sanjaya Factor”!!!

• tvtjw says:

I realize everyone likes to pick on “tween/teen” voters as being the reason why Braiden is still around… but I’d like to assure you that not one girl aged 12-17 thinks Braiden is cute. If they’re voting, they’re voting for Zach or (like me, 15 year old girl) for Jeffery.

• God I just think Jeffrey is amazing! I also love Evans voice, but he needs better songs!

• Ok I just went to Braiden Sunshines facebook, because I am also curious as to why he is still around. So I found out his band had a cd release party? Also Tommy Shaw from Styx (renegade) left a huge message on his facebook to The Voice, Adam and Braiden with thanks. Braiden is from Conneticut! Do any of these factor into votes? LOL IM not sure. I guess the young girls are voting for him. I stand by my favorites, Jeffery and Evan!

• LIzzie says:

Oh, yeah, they’re voting for Zach. Their moms and grandmas are voting for Zach, too.

6. Andre says:

Well, I had such a good connection to Korin and Mark, and if I had to choose from all past performances, I would pick Korin for originality and dynamics….but Mark for electricity. I honestly thought Mark would be the obvious eliminated artist, but it seemed he really stepped up like A LOT for this instant save performance, while Korin didn’t give a strong performance like she did for her Blind Audition, Battles, and her exquisite knockout performance. I prefer Mark over Korin, but oh well, he had a good run but failed to “deliver” (hehe) more of the performances like “Use Me”.

A very disappointing public’s choice artist was Braiden Sunshine. He absolutely did not stand out (well he did, just not in a good way). He should have been eliminated during the live playoffs, to be honest, but his “cute, tween rock” vibes is mostly the reason why he is still in the competition.

7. davmon says:

Well, let’s talk—politely—about race. Or more accurately, racism. To be clear, I am white, southern, and male. I was concerned already last week when 24 contestants went to 12, during which 5 black contestants went to one—and he had to be saved. This was not purely a matter of talent. Last season, Christina got 2 talented black ladies to the top six; along with Pharrel’s one (Koryn)—that made three. But then, they went out 6th, 5th, and 4th! Yes, after 3 in top 6, none reached the top 3. Sure, Sawyer was special and deserving enough; but Megan and Joshua were not nearly as good as Koryn or Kimberly or even India….This time, of the 24, Adam had not one black artist in his 6; Gwen had only Regina, who had an off night and lost out when Ellie deservedly got the save. Blake had none until he brought back Nadjah; she was the best of his 6—but could not expected to be saved further, given his desire to win on the wings of his country fans. That left Pharrell, who had three black artists among his six. But America voted through Madi (ok!) and then Evan (no, no, no!). That left him with all three of his black artists (Darius, Mark, and Celeste—all very good) along with Riley, but only one save. With that save, he gave us the one black artist left in the field of 12, Mark. And now, the Top Ten is pared to Eleven and the one person to go home is the only black artist left—Mark!….Not a pretty picture! Especially when I consider that Darius should have been a finalist; and he, Mark, and Celeste were all better than anyone on Team Blake and everyone except Jeffery on Team Gwen. Of the Top Twelve, I considered Mark #6—meaning 6 were worse. No way should he have been going anywhere for a couple of weeks….Oh well!

• Relly says:

I completely agree! Very well stated!!!

• Susan says:

I agree also. Once this show reaches the “lives,” and voting begins,America seems to only want to save white contestants. I am so disappointed and ashamed,I really don’t want much to watch the rest of the season. Excellent singers, some of them much better than some of those who remain, have been eliminated.

• Ann Pitman says:

Agree, will no longer be watching, same as last season. Blacks and especially Black Males are always eliminated, Also, Vicktor should have remained. The Voice is a show case for Country and Folk Singers no balance.
          Good Riddance.

• Cassie says:

Agree — this has been the disappointing pattern in the 4 seasons I have seen. I wonder if Voice voting is a tea party priority too , based on the number of mediocre country artists who get through. BTW , not this subject , but all the hard rock left last week. Kimberly Nicole kept that alive last season.

8. Fran Apadenska Haynes says:

Mark Hood is an incredible performer and singer–many others unfortunately are “high school choir quality”–is it possible he was eliminated because he, like so many others on past seasons, is a man of color? Do we really appreciate the best voice or only the “socially safe” voice? Just wondering in Phoenix.

• kevstar says:

Shh! Youre not supposed to bring that up. You’ll be reminded that the first two winners were black men.

• Timmah says:

Amy is Filipino and she seems to be doing ok. Perhaps most people just didn’t care for Mark’s singing as much as you did.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup. Flashbacks of last season. 4th, 5th and 6th place should have been flipped with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Oh well. At least he’s out of his misery now. And to be perfectly fair, unlike last season’s black contestants, Mark didn’t really have the goods to win in my opinion. He did however have the goods to be top 11 in a weak season.

• djr8705 says:

Koryn, Nichole, and Meghan should have been top 3 last season, I enjoyed India-but I could never get into her songs as much as those 3.
        I love Korin this season, I preferred her over Mark, I think Mark was the wrong choice for Pharrell- he should’ve picked Darius.

• TV says:

That may be true in some respect, but how in the world is he an incredible singer and performer?

• Timmah says:

Personally, I thought he was terrible and was shocked when Pharrell saved him over what I thought were 3 much more deserving singers.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I thought Pharrell screwed up and really should have saved either Celeste or Darius. Both of them were far superior to Mark in my estimation.
          I don’t think the argument tonight is “Mark is amazing” so much as it is “Mark was hands down the superior singer / entertainer / musician / performer compared to Korin.”

• JJM says:

I agree that Mark Hood is entertaining to watch, but I think he just doesn’t have the vocal ability to compliment his stage moves. And I would also like to point out that Pharrell chose Mark over Darius Scott, who was a much better singer. My theory as to why Pharrell picked Mark is because Darius didn’t seem to want Pharrell’s help. I thought it was telling that Darius turned to the band last week and began giving them directions as Pharrell watched. Why would Pharrell keep someone on his team that is already experienced and knows exactly what he wants and apparently had little interest in Pharrell’s input? This isn’t a question of color. If Mark had Jeffrey’s voice he’d still be there. After all it’s called “The Voice” not “The Entertainer”.

• JoJoM says:

What does that mean “socially safe?” Mark Hood’s performances were not a standout and although he was entertaining to watch, I found his vocals to be very thin. It wasn’t just a matter of song choice, which I found lacking as well, and felt Pharrell could have selected better or more current songs for him to perform. Pharrell picked Mark over Darius Scott, who had a much better voice, but because of his experience as a producer seem to have little interest in seeking Pharrell’s input. After all if Mark had Jeffrey Austin’s voice I believe he’d still be there.

• Allie says:

I doubt it – I think Darius was better and Mark suffered from a very dull song choice this week and did nothing to rearrange it. Korin had a moment with Samson and I think people that vote for her hope she will repeat it.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Mark is a very good performer, in no universe is he an incredible singer in any color.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t think the argument is that he’s the greatest singer ever. I think the argument is that he was a far superior singer to many of the folks who passed on into the next round. And he was certainly a better singer than Korin.
        Winner material? No way
        Top 11 material in a crappy season? You betcha [Sarah Palin wink]

• bobsaccamanna says:

My argument would be that Mark was one of the singers who should have been eliminated earlier instead of some of the more talented vocalists. I have never been a fan of the “performers” on these shows but that it just not my cuppa anyhow. JMO but Mark is not a good vocalist, there was a point in the season when I thought Korin might be, in fact I seem to recall you thinking so as well. Admittedly that Korin has been missing for a few weeks in a row but Gwen has succeeded in creating a mini me so not all is lost.
          UGH!!!!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Mark wasn’t my favorite either. I think Darius or Celeste — take your pick — were far superior vocalists. No arguments there.
            It’s pretty frustrating though to see Blake’s entire team plus Korin and Braiden beat out Mark. Like I said, Mark wasn’t the greatest by a long shot, but he’s a lot better than several of the people who got the green light. It’s frustrating because it feels like a certain demographic has taken hold of the voting on this show, and we can only get more of the same each season as it turns into a toxic death spiral from a viewership standpoint. People who like R&B type music get turned off by the results, who then stop watching the show and voting altogether, which leaves us with a fairly homogenous voting bloc. It’s disappointing, but it is what it is.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Definitely agree that the whole have Blake’s team, plus Braiden could have been sent packing and I would have been ok with that. In terms of just the Korin/ Mark scenario, like you with R&B I prefer singers in the Regina Spektor/Ingrid Michaelson mode who also never seem to fare very well in this format despite being what many people perceive as the preferred skin pigment.I thought a couple of Korin’s early performances displayed some talent in that area way beyond some of the phony “affected” indie type of voices from past seasons, there was some actual power behind her vocals. Sadly once Gwen got her top model claws into her that seems to have vanished. Show me a Sasha Allen or a Deborah Hill and I’ll fight to the death to keep the R& B singers alive on the show, but I haven’t seen that level of talent this year.

• Angie_Overrated says:

This was not a great year on the R&B front. There were a few really good ones IMO like Celeste, Nadjah and Darius, but for whatever reason they never really took off. And to be perfectly fair, they weren’t as good as last season’s R&B / soul singers, who IMO were off the freakin’ charts amazing.
            And to be even more fair, it’s not just R&B… every genre is weaker this season. As much as I like Jeffery, I don’t think he’d make it past top 5 in most any other season.
            I was totally behind Korin up until the Knockout round. She’s been really bad since then and seems to be getting worse. Not sure what’s happened to her, but her last three performances have been nicht so gut.

• LIzzie says:

Mark is really fun to watch, but both Darius and Celeste are better singers.

• LIzzie says:

A better showman, a better performer, more open with his heart on his sleeve, shows how much he wants it, but this week he was not a better singer. His voice sounded strained and forced, not that gloriously melodic sound that he is capable of producing when he dials it back a notch or two. It was almost like he was sick, or maybe pushing his voice past where the best quality is.

• LIzzie says:

Mark Hood is a really good performer, and a good singer, sorry to see him go. His last two performances were more desperate than confident, and that strain even showed in his voice. I like the guy, and his singing, but the best was when he performed with Celeste – those two are awesome.

9. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! #MariahSlays says:

Im gonna miss mark, he had so much confidence and charisma. But hey, I appreciate Korin being saved. Here are my top 11 power rankings:
    1 Jeffery
    2 Shelby
    3 Jordan
    4 Madi
    5 Barrett
    6 Amy
    7 Evan
    8 Emily
    9 Korin
    10 Zach
    11 Braiden

10. gg says:

The new elimination schedule sucks…1st, eliminating 12, second eliminating 1 for 3 weeks, then eliminating 5 with a finale of 4. Why not 2 each week for 4 weeks, with a finale of 4?

• AS says:

I think the new elimination schedule is in the singers favor….they get extra weeks…extra chances…but let’s face it, the performances of more than half have been mediocre….they could have eliminated 4-6 last night and then we’d be spared listening to Braiden Sunshine again.
      OUT: Braiden, Korin, Mark, Zach, Barrett-they’re not going to win and we already know it

• TTorvo says:

The new schedule may have something to do with iTune sales and complaints of West Coast viewers about the dumb Twitter saves. More singers for extra weeks and more potential iTune sales, fewer Twitter saves and fewer WC viewer complaints. Just a goofy theory. They are probably just trying a new gimmick to keep more people tuning in to the unreal reality show that it is!

• Greg Cantin says:

The reason only one goes home for a few weeks and then 5 get chopped is simple: This way they can keep a TWO HOUR high rated slot going for more weeks.

11. WHERES KEITHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

12. safado says:

I don’t understand why they put the kid in a wig when he sings.

13. Dion says:

very disappointing he has a much stronger voice than most of the top 12. Mark shouldn’t have even been at the bottom. Each performance he rendered was solid unlike the artist who was picked over him. If the voice doesn’t reward good voices what’s the point of it all. This show has me scratching my head right now.

• AS says:

Mark was definitely better than Korin last night….she totally butchered that Norah Jones’ song, but Mark just wasn’t popular…..he had no fan base…..his i-tunes sales were at the bottom each week. Could he have been given a more contemporary song??? Bruno Mars????

• Mack_attack says:

I really thought Mark had it in the bag when Korin was all over the place with her song. My only assumption is that the majority of The Voice watchers have turned into coffee house smooth jazz aficionados or they were mesmerized by the amount of shiny platinum hair on display by Team Gwen. Either way, Mark should have sailed over Korin, even with an old song.

• LIzzie says:

West Coast might have voted for Mark, but since we don’t get the opp to hear the save songs and then vote, the blame is on the East Coast voters.

• LIzzie says:

I would have rather heard Madi sing that Norah Jones song. I would have listened to Mark give a go to a Bruno Mars song, for sure.

• To be honest Mark’s personality turned me off. He was too hyper for my tastes. But his song choice and performance last week was great and he should have been saved. You are right. fan base is almost everything unless you sing like an angel

14. lisa barney says:

this is crazy mark hood perform excellent tonight i am not happy but on this note this season is no different then last season jordan smith i love you i dont need to watch the voice sawyer won last year you got this adam this is yours this is fix nbc shame on you

15. tvtjw says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m not completely sold on Jordan Smith… His blind audition was incredible, and I loved everything else through Halo, but then he picked a religious hymn. Anytime I see an artist do that, I automatically assume they’re just trying to sway the religious crowd. Just my opinion, but I am a much greater fan of Jeffery.

• Relly says:

Ok, even though I am a fan of Jordan Smith, I have to say I felt the same about his singing the hymn. I guess that may be the direction he wants to go in as far as an album, but…

16. tvtjw says:

17. Kris says:

Mark Hood should still be there…with a few other artists…Celeste comes to mind…..hate to say it but America’s Top 12 look pretty Caucasian. …which would be fine if their performances were the best. Jordan Smith….you sir are amazing!!

• Fran Apadenska Haynes says:

I am with you Kris….just saying….

• Lyle Sparks says:

All you folks who think the lineup is too white can take it up with Pharrell: the remaining group would be at least one person better on diversity if Pharrell had chosen Darius over Mark, because a black man would still be there instead of eliminated. And that one change would have made the group more talented.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The show would have been more diverse had Pharrell swapped one black man out for another black man? Got it!

• Relly says:

Pharrell is not the only one who should be able to see/hear talented singers, of all races, including black. Not all black singers are R&B singers. And talented artists like Gwen, Adam, Blake and Pharrell should be able to help in teaching/molding all kinds of singers, of all ages, and races!

18. scott says:

This show is so fixed it isn’t even funny. No way on this planet, with the lowest ranked I tune and the most piss poor performance in recent memory of this show, does Braiden not make the bottom two. The PTB made sure he wasn’t in the bottom two, otherwise it definitely would have been in America’s hands, and they couldn’t have that. I sorta thought it was fixed a few seasons ago when that dork butchered More Than a Feeling. But now I’m sure of it.

• Polarvortex says:

Agreed! And not only was he not in the bottom three but he made it with room to spare!
      And he also appeared to be ranked higher than some of the more deserving singers as well!

• Glen says:

I had the exact same thought. Braiden’s song wasn’t just the lowest ranked song, it was lowest by a country mile. No way I believe he received so many online and phone votes that he was able to overcome the huge gulf between his I-Tunes sales and the next worst ranked songs.The “OMG 15!!” factor clearly is irresistible to the show’s producers.

19. Bonnie greenberg says:

Mark Hood is a superstar.
    He should not have been sent home.
    I’m over watching “the voice”

20. NotVirgin Mary says:

What I would give to have Nadjah and Celeste back on the stage… Scratch that. They would probably be eliminated the following week. A boring batch of contestants this year. White mediocrity outdoing black excellency. Again.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yup

• bobsaccamanna says:

phew what a world, admittedly there is a whole heap of white mediocrity on the show this year, no argument, so maybe a point can be made that there is some bias because the white mediocrity did happen to advance while the black mediocrity got sent packing. But black excellence this year? sorry I didn’t see it. Celeste, Nadjah and Darius were all pretty good but there were no Deborah Hills, Amanda Browns or Sasha Allen’s in the bunch. IMO.

21. Brian says:

Oh dear.
    I feel bad for Korin, Gwen is seemingly doing everything she can to strip away her individuality, it’s painful to watch.
    We don’t need mini-Gwen, or fashion spots from Khols, or the only compliment from Gwen to be how someone looks.
    It’s called THE VOICE.
    They need to seriously rethink things for next season.

Still shocked that Sunshine kid is there.
    Definitely feels like it could have some backstage interference.

• Mack_attack says:

Did you hear Gwen’s speech about how they both were on a journey? She made it all about her. Yes, she has turned poor Korin into her little lookalike sister in a way that feels very Stepford Wives to me.

• LIzzie says:

I was completely creeped out by Gwen’s sisterhood-is-powerful thing, apparently Korin has recently been dumped as well as Gwen. Don’t need to hear it, don’t need to see Gwen turn her people into mini-me messes. She seems to have destroyed the Korin that got the chair turn.

22. Pandora says:

Jordan all the way

23. nicolas0914 says:

Korin and Mark were both in my Top 4, seems like Mark’s the new Sugar Joans and Korin’s the new Jessie Pitts (dyes her hair blonde, is immediately sent to bottom two)

24. Alisa says:

already anticipated that Mark would be eliminated. I made a comment last week that Pharrell should have saved Darius, who in my point of view, is so talented. Instead, he chose to save Mark, whose vocal is mediocre and is forgettable. Darius could have gone through until the end. His vocal is just unbelievable and his arrangement of the songs reflected his talents. Even the other three coaches praised him. Sometimes I don’t understand Pharrell. Last week it seemed that he was overwhelmed by Darius’ extraordinary performance. Then when the time came for the third contestant to be chosen by the coach, Pharrell decided to save Mark. I knew right away that it was going to be a big mistake . Well… What can I say…

25. marie says:

Pharrell Williams
    you hide behind your dark glasses to cover up the truth you know. Just because you cove up something does not mean it is gone away. The choices were set ups . Not fair.

26. Harvey hara says:

I believe mark should have stayed I didn’t think Kirin did that well

27. Povalles says:

I’m sorry, but I really think Mark wasn’t good at all in any of the two performances. Neither was Korin, but at least she isn’t doing the same songs we hear every year like Mark was. Probably he has more raw talent than Korin, but that was it. Both Pharrell and Gwen did poor choices picking their third artist, and it shows.

28. katedfw says:

Braiden was saved? Seriously? In the in the bottom on every article/poll I read yesterday. I don’t hate the kid, just don’t see what all the fuss is about.

29. Lois says:

So welcome to the white lean heavily towards country final 11. After several weeks of watching talented people of colour be eliminated I am,yet again, amazed at the narrow voting demographics.

• Mack_attack says:

This season has become milquetoast very quickly, I don’t even get how we got from an amazing batch of people to a very bland top 11.

• Allie says:

agreed. Celeste & Darius are far more talented than several of the contestants in the top 11. Regina too, although she did have one bad night with Hello. I wasn’t a huge Mark fan so his elimination doesn’t bother me but he was certainly better than Braiden. At this point, I’m hoping for Jordan, Madi, & Jeffery (can’t think of a 4th I care about) to be in the finale but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Zach, Shelby, Barrett and Emily Ann. I just won’t watch it, that’s for sure!

30. Michael says:

This isn’t a talent show. It’s a show about building an audience that can start a career for you.
    Song choice is very important, but it is also important to connect to a certain demographic that has enough people (and to win, they must buy songs on iTunes) that will support you.
    Start looking at the performances in terms of what demographic they will attract.
    Next question (much like political elections) will that demographic get off the couch, vote and buy their tunes.
    That is what determines the winner.

31. Eli says:

Braiden’s save can be due to the preteen and early teen girls vote.

• katedfw says:

Which is exactly why Sawyer won last year. This is my last year with the voice,,,especially if Xtina and Cee-Blo come back!

• CMC says:

I couldn’t disagree with you more about Sawyer. He had a TON of older people voting for him because they loved this “throw back” vibe and maturity. Don’t even compare the two

• Mack_attack says:

I can’t believe that someone can compare Sawyer to Braiden, the only similarity is their age. Sawyer has something unique, Braiden is a cute kid who is out of his depth.

• Allie says:

I couldn’t stand Sawyer. Sounded like a bleating goat, imo, and had a very vacant start that Evan also seems to have mastered.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m pretty sure the Sawyer vote was not young people. Don’t you remember all the comments about him being the second coming of John Denver (that one STILL makes me laugh when I think about it)? I’d argue it was the grandma and grandpa voters, not hormonal girls. Not to mention the demo for this show skews older, so there’s that too.

32. Anonymous V says:

Amy Vachal should been eliminated!

• Relly says:

I agree. I almost fall asleep when she sings. Not that she doesn’t have a nice voice, just a lullaby sound. I can only listen to her right before bedtime. LOL

33. marion says:

Mark should have stayed, representing the Voice. He is the total package, voice, stage presence, style, looks. I wonder if because he said he is already a actor. That the public felt he already had a career. And was mainly looking at the those who didn’t. And although I love the show, and listening to the young singers.Who mind you are talented. It seems like they are a little favored. I am sorry Mark got aliminated, but he has a career ahead. Perhaps Pharrel could work with and help get his career off the ground

34. LIzzie says:

If Mark hadn’t done such a non-connecting job of singing Against All Odds, I would be more inclined to agree with you, That song is meant to be sung with deep meaning and a building intensity to go with the lyric, not a bunch of deep runs and from somewhere, and near nasal sounds to the notes. Korin is not going to recover from Gwen’s makeovers/interference, but early on she did have a lovely voice.

35. Simon says:

I actually thought Korin did great. I was so happy she got saved, Mark’s voice was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Has anyone else noticed that 2 of Gwen’s 3 finalists are one-chair turns? The weirdest part is that the only one who wasn’t was Braiden.

36. deb wead says:

Mark Hoods energy that he brought to the voice was so real …so infectious!!!…Loved him…. really dissapointed to see him go…As dissapointed as when Darius was bumped…..These were my favorite performers😊…I’m surprised America voted some of the other contestants through as opposed to Mark…I thought he had the ability to make it to the end

37. Robin Thibodaux says:

Jordan, Emily, madi, Jeffrey,Zach,and Barrett. There is your top six in my opinion.but it will be very very hard to beat Jordan smith.however I really believe that Emily and Barrett will go on to country music stars. can’t forget about Zach though because the young girls are crazy about him.

38. gregk says:

Anyone saying “tween vote” is technically incorrect because the “rules” require voters to be 13 or older. I’ll bet that makes a big difference in who votes!

39. Amanda says:

I cannot believe mark got sent home he is the best singer in the competition. His runs and also his voice in general , we’ll let me tell you as a singer is not easy to do ! He will go far ! When I heard him I could not believe that someone could be that good ! America got it wrong Kurin through . She’s good but cmon anyone could see he is amazing !

40. Kristen says:

Hate the change in eliminations… 5 are going to be sent home!? It should be opposite. 5 go home now, and then they go one by one. Ugh. Anywho, Mark going home was not a surprise. Korin being saved, obviously had to happen. Braiden Sunshine should’ve been a shoe-in to go home… I would’ve rather seen Mark stay, but whatevs.

41. Relly says:

No, the best artists were not saved! What the world! So, there are a few good singers in the top 11, but WHY is there no brown among the remaining artists???? Does no one notice this??? There were some incredible African-American singers on this season that could BLOW! Where are they??? I thought that The Voice was different from American Idol in that they actually eliminated based on talent! I am on the verge of taking The Voice off of my watch list for sure. What is happening? If the show only wants to display young non-black, shaky singers I don’t have time for this. I got better things to do with my life. OMG!