Chicago Med Preview

Chicago Med Preview: Meet the New Doctors, Nurses and More — Plus: How Many Spinoffs Is Too Many?

NBC’s Chicago Med opens its doors this Tuesday at 9/8c, but the latest entry in Dick Wolf’s Windy City-set trilogy is hardly the only place to get medical treatment on TV. So what will set the newest Chicago Fire spinoff apart?

“We want to [be] much more in the ER and St. Elsewhere model than Grey’s Anatomy,” executive producer Danielle Gelber says. “It’s not going to be a pure soap by any stretch of the imagination, but there will be a lot of character storylines and emotional entanglements. We want to be telling cutting-edge stories about ethical conundrums and the state of medicine and health care in America today.”

And in addition to not following in Grey’s’ footsteps, the NBC freshman won’t be exactly like CBS’ own new medical drama, either.

Code Black is much more about a day in the life of pure crisis. That’s not going to be what we do,” Gelber adds. “There’s going to be more time lapse in our episodes, as well.”

Additionally, Med‘s Chief of Psychiatry, Dr. Charles (played by Oliver Platt), presents a unique viewpoint. “The thing that’s really surprising is I can’t recall a major medical show – ER, Chicago Hope, Grey’s – that had a shrink in a central role,” Wolf points out.

As for whether there’s a limit to how many offshoots the Chicago franchise can handle, “There probably is, but I don’t know where it is,” Wolf responds. “The audience will let us know when no mas. I just want Med to work.”

Flip through the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to get the scoop on who’s who on Med, who’s butting heads and who’s got a romance.

1. Well, all these shows take place in the Munch/Westphal Shared Universe, so everything on TV is a spin of St. Elsewhere and Homicide :P

2. I’m so excited for this show. Love the cast, love that it won’t be a soap, etc. Can’t wait!

3. Al says:

Between Greys and ER
    We have seen it all

4. Ames says:

Isn’t this just ER? It’s even based in the same city as ER.

5. Tony Lang says:

How Many Spinoffs Is Too Many? I don<t know, but I'd LOVE to see Chicago Aqueducts! "On a very special episode, the crew find themselves literally in deep sh*t"!

6. lechatnoir says:

That was quick..ugh! I like the mothership shows but i am like 4 seasons too late . I wish i had time to watch it . But this spin of could crash a la NCIS Red. its probably one too many. And frankly those 22 year old doctors just aren’t believable as experienced doctors .

7. Big Mike says:

No mas

8. Nicole says:

When we get to Chicago Elementary School Hall Monitor then you’ve gone too far ;)

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Chicago Med is destined to become another hit in the Chicago franchise. #ChicagoStrong

10. Kristen says:

I’m so excited for this show! I’m telling you, it’s going to be Chicago Law next… although that would be a constant crossover with Chicago PD or Chicago Fire or Chicago Med… or all three. Oh my head hurts.

11. Mere says:

No more. And cancel the other two Chicago shows. They are horrid. Bad writing, worse acting, and generic cheesy stories that lack excitement, substance, or merit. Just bubblegum television wasting good hours of NBC programming that could be used for quality programs. Let it all go.

• Bwhit says:

You aren’t going to get your wish because Chicago Fire just got renewed for season 5 and PD was renewed for season 4 and this fan couldn’t be happier about it!!!!

• Chloe says:

Completely agree with Bwhit!!!

Any chance we’ll get Chicago Vet? An hour of dogs & cats, with cameos by Kelly Severide, would definitely make my night!

• liame says:

Hmmm, quality programs? I’m curious, what exactly are you looking for? There has to be a Network out there somewhere that has what you’re gagging for.

• No one says you have to approve whatever decision Derek Haas and NBC make. Guess what, you even get to decide what you want to watch. So, don’t like don’t watch. Even if it is your own opinion you have a whole lot more people that tell you otherwise!

12. Jordan says:

The character of Sarah Reese can’t be an MD and a fourth-year medical student, so is the “Dr.” in her title a typo or does she have a doctorate in another field?

13. sarah j says:

Love the Chicago’s and I am looking forward this show, but I think this should be the last one. As we have Fire, Police and doctors….what else would they have? Chicago Lawyers? LOL

14. Bella says:

It’s the number of the spinoffs, it’s the quality of the shows that count.

15. Pia says:

The Night Shift had a shrink but they booted her after the first season.

16. Bwhit says:

I already like Dr. Halstead and Dr. Charles because of how they have been introduced on the other shows (Will being Jay’s brother and Dr. Charles counseling Erin and Sylvie). I would say this should be it and it fits nicely in the first responder universe. Can’t wait to see the pilot!

17. John036 says:

It would be cool if they did a series about the news program in Chicago, they could call it Chicago Daily or something.

18. Saabgirlatx says:

I have gotten zero chemistry from the Chicago med blips we have seen so far on Fire, etc. I hope I am pleasantly surprised by the show going forward.

19. klapaaucius says:

Private Practice had two shrinks as major characters, so no, you are not the first one. However, I hate when they trash Greys. Cmon, mind your own business. I will give it a try, but not exciting.
    (ER and Greys are very different, why these stupid comparisons?)

20. prish says:

Never too much of a good thing. I’m not into medical dramas nor soap opera types like Fire, but PD is so fantastic, I say, “Keep cranking them out!”

21. Dad snow says:

The Chicago shows are different from the other spinoffs franchises. Because all of the Chicago shows take place in one city. So it feels smoother when shows crossover with one another. But the writers needs to work on the timeline synchronization. I’m happy.

22. Olivia Chase says:

I love Chicago med it is Amazing I’m only ten and I love it but episode 3 haunted me !other than that my bff Addie Lineberry and I love it and Chicago fire Thanks Dick Wolf