The Leftovers Kevin Dies

The Leftovers Shocker: Did They Just Kill Off [Spoiler]?!

Warning: The following story contains major spoilers from this week’s episode of The Leftovers. If you have yet to watch it, hit the nearest exit.

“It’s going to be a hard day, buddy,” Patti warns Kevin at the beginning of Sunday’s episode of The Leftovers.

She wasn’t fooling.

By the end of the hour, Justin Theroux‘s tortured, terrorized alter ego was dead, the victim of an unintentional suicide/murder at the hands of the posinonous Virgil. Speaking of Erika’s pops, he’s also dead — the victim of an intentional suicide. Let’s quickly recap the whole sordid affair.

Desperate to evict Patti from his brain, where she’s been squatting since the season premiere, Kevin reluctantly turned to Miracle’s resident exorcist Virgil, who described the ex-cop’s predicament thusly: “She ain’t in you, she’s on you. And if you want to get her off you, you can’t do it on your turf. You got to go to hers. The other place.”

Translation: Kevin’s gotta die — temporarily. Just long enough for him to “vanquish” Patti on the other side. Virgil is then supposed to step in after a few minutes and resuscitate him. Only Virgil went horrifyingly off script. With Kevin’s lifeless, mouth-foamy body at his feet, Virgil emptied the syringe containing the heart-restarting epinephrine, put a gun to his own head and proceeded to pull the trigger.

In the episode’s closing seconds, as if to erase any doubt that Kevin did indeed die, Virgil’s grandson Michael is seen dragging his corpse out of the house.

Of course, this being The Leftovers, Kevin’s apparent death doesn’t necessarily mean that Theroux is off the show. There are still three episodes left in Season 2. Kevin could pull a Patti and return as Nora’s guardian angel. It’s also possible he could be resurrected, although that seems unlikely.

Curiously, the official longline for next Sunday’s installment reads more like a recap of this week’s fateful final scene: “In the shadow of Laurie questioning his mental health, Kevin attempts to vanquish Patti on an unexpected battlefield. A terrible, heartbreaking choice is all that stands between Kevin and his chance to rid himself of her and his past.”

An HBO rep declined to comment on Theroux’s Leftovers future. Series co-creator Damon Lindelof, meanwhile, remains in radio-silence mode until after Season 2 wraps in early December.

What do you think? Even in the twisty-turny world of TheLeftovers, was Kevin’s apparent death a shocker? Got a theory as to how he might return? Hit the comments!

1. Lisa says:

Wow im stunned

2. Kate says:

I don’t watch this show, but is perhaps the answer to the blind from several weeks ago? A co-lead dies or at least seems to?

• 1nurseamber says:

Um… why did you read this article if you don’t even watch the show?

Anyway- I’m stunned. Surely Theroux isn’t dead. His character is too important to kill off. A dead Garvey just wouldn’t be the same!

• Kate says:

Um… because I wanted to know if it was the answer to the blind item? Obviously?

• Anna Flea says:

I agree! Therapist IS THE SHOW! Also, spoiler the same kid that dragged is dead body out is shown in next week’s episode completely surprised at? I’m guessing Theroux is either alive where he was left or got up and left. This ties into the “child” that seems to hold some power over the world that is being take care of by Justin and Nora! Also, the show would loose its appeal if they kill off Justin. I’m thinking the gift given to Justin’s in addition to that baby holds major power of the world. Also seen is Justin’s son reappearing for next week. Perhaps he has something to do with Justin’s revival! And if he’s dead- you lost 75% and will manage with your 25% leftovers😂 in ratings….

• Murl says:

There is NO RULE or LAW that states someone cannot read and comment on an article if they don’t watch the show it pertains to. And not for nothing, but Kate wasnt even being negative in her comment. Stop being a troll!! Go away Troll!!!!

• Dystubed says:

inurseamber…Attention grabbing headlines exist for a reason and it isn’t only to get people who normally care about things to read them. They also get people who don’t watch certain shows or don’t normally care about a certain actor, topic etc. to read them due to some sort of curiosity. That is what happened with Kate and she explained why in her initial post.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

It’s not the blind item, the blind item is supposed to occur in the fall finale of the series and The Leftovers doesn’t have a fall finale.

• Jen says:

Your response makes zero sense. If the Leftovers doesn’t have a fall finale than this would obviously be the blind item that a star/co-star dies or at least seems to.. That’s exactly what happened tonight!

• militantgod says:

You need to learn how to read. The blind item (I’m only going by what the poster said) states the lead dies in a show’s fall finale. This was the 7th episode of a 10 episode season (and not a fall finale), so that means Kevin couldn’t be the blind item character that dies.

• In addition to what other people (some ruder than others), the Leftovers is more of an ensemble show so Justin Theroux isn’t technically a lead.

3. Do we know for sure he is Erika’s dad and not John’s?

4. Michael says:

He’s not dead for good. Will be reborn, just like Virgil. Virgil killed himself to be Kevin’s guide, as he promised – so he had to go to “the other place” with him and he’ll be reborn, too. He emptied the syringe because it was only there to reassure Kevin about taking the poison in the first place. Probably just water anyway.

• Epic says:

I think Michael’s assessment is spot on. I think the grandson is going to bury both the grandfather and Kevin (like his mom was doing with the birds) and they are going to be reborn…although the last time she did it, it didn’t work…maybe an explanation there.

• Anna flea says:

I thought he murdered him due to the grandson being there perhaps reporting the palm print was Kevin’s so Virgil decided to not keep his end of the bargain that’s why he committed suicide. Virgil never promised to be Kevin’s guide. On the contrary, he said he would guide him through the process to get rid of Kevin’s guide (Patti). Virgil wasn’t doing it to come back as Kevin’s guide. Actually- yeah maybe your right. Patti commuted suicide. Virgil committed suicide. The only thing that’s stupid within this situation is that if your theory is true than Kevin got rid of Patti to take on Virgil being at his side instead? I think your theory is great but that’s a stupid story line and just dragging out how crazy Kevin is. Also, the mom said the birds were alive the night of her daughters disappearance where she prayed her daughter would be ok if something was to happen to her. Regina said it was first time the birds were alive. Can someone explain why she got so pissed at Nora in last week’s episode and then Nora got all crazy when the questions were reversed? I think we all agree that some evil/good power is unleashed into the Kevin’s son and is the baby symbolizing death or life?? Great show!

• John says:

What I don’t get is why would Kevin die to get rid of Patti and his insanity to take on anothe dead person in his ear (Virgil). Virgil said he would guide him through it meaning assist with the poisoning and bringing back to life. I’m the only one thinking Virgil didn’t bring him back due to the palm print being significant in tonight’s episode? Why would Kevin endure all this just to have more insanity from someone else? Virgil said he done it himself to rid himself of his old evil ways..Grandson didn’t seem to think Kevin would be back. I thought perhaps they found out the palm print was Kevin’s. Ugh can’t wait till next week and poor Jill.. Girl needs a break..

• Aron says:

Just watched it again. Virgil says Kevin has a powerful adversary. It’s not him. It’s Kevin’s son or baby. Virgil has already been reborn.

• Jules says:

Sorry, but no way Virgil is coming back from blowing his brains out…. I think either the entire thing was a nightmare of Kevin’s ( which would be a lazy writer’s trick and I doubt this show would sink to that), or Kevin will return as Nora’s “Patty”. Those last words from Kevin to Nora asking if she would believe him if and when he returned to her and said Patty was gone seem ominous. Regardless, I am sad, because I was really enjoying Justin Theroux and Kevin Garvey, and it is clear to me that things will be different in the show from this point.

• TIA says:

That’s exactly what I thought…I hope this will play out just as we think.

5. jmag says:

OMG this show! I love it! I don’t think Kevin’s really dead–or dead for long. I think he’ll definitely be in next episode. And knowing that John’s father is a disgusting pedophile explains John’s unabiding anger. And no michael, just because you ask for forgiveness doesn’t mean you deserve it. Who knows what kind of manipulation the elder Murphy has done on Michael to convince him to aide his suicide. And why would he want Kevin dead? So many questions. . .can’t wait til next week.

6. Et al. says:

This show is so fascinating. I can’t wait to see how they move forward after tonight.

7. carolgrover says:

Fantastic show. Never disappoints.

8. We have no confirmation Kevin IS dead. However, I believe he is, and Virgil shot himself because he promised to guide Kevin, which he can’t do sitting in his trailer on THIS side. I believe Kevin CAN come back because this show is about many things, including miracles and redemption.

• Guest says:

Virgil represents Good and rebirth. Without Virgil guiding Kevin then Kevin is actually committing suicide to become reborn as did Patti, Virgil and now Kevin.

• Jules says:

I found it strange that while Kevin asked Virgil the details about taking the poison and being revived, he asked him nothing regarding how to defeat Patty or whomever this adversary is once he gets to this other place.

9. Debalaaa says:

Virgil says Kevin needs to die to resolve a conflict like Virgil did to be reborn. Virgil believes Kevin killed his granddaughter and is planning on murdering him and persuades Kevin by “guiding” him through this process to rid the evil Patti. Neither Patti nor Kevin are evil child molesters than need to be reborn. Kevin’s powerful adversary is either power his son or new baby holds. Virgil isn’t intending to take Patti’s place that makes no sense

10. Question: Is Liv Tyler getting paid to be a series regular? She’s always on the opening credits but we’ve only seen her once for 5 mins. She’s in the ad for next week, but she has been severely underused. I hope she plays a bigger role in the final 3 eps

11. Matt serra says:

What if Michael buries Kevin in a box…. We know what happened one of the birds that got buried

12. liame says:

Holy Cannoli! Man this show is like a fine glass of wine. Excellent!

13. Don Basilio says:

Surprised that no one has speculated that Kevin actually died, because Virgil ( as in the Roman poet) is Dante’s guide from Hell thru Purgatory in La Commedia ( The Divine Comedy).

If they are poaching the great Dante for this, I wonder how they will wind through the story.

• Jules says:

And Michael (the grandson’s name) is the Arc Angel in the Bible. The good and evil, faith and no faith thing is woven through everything this season. Even though “there are no miracles in Miracle”, I think that will change soon. And I think the baby is the “key” as well. I also think that has something to do with Meg raping Tommy to purposely get pregnant by him because she thinks he has some “super power” as well. Who knows??! Just when I think I have something Lindleoff written figured out, it goes totally left and I’m more confused than I was before.

• Dina says:

Exactly where my head went when I found out his name was Virgil. Some sort of play off the Divine Comedy with Dante being brought through purgatory by Virgil as his guide.

If Kevin is truly dead, I will probably still watch the show but think killing off the main character would be just playing into the trend of killing off major characters just for shock value.
      Nora is garbage and annoys me (sorry) but it’s true. I would like for Kevin to still be a part of this story in a major way.

14. jenn says:

kevin CANT be dead :(…….

15. BrianR says:

He was dead either way. Once he gave his palm print to ID himself I’m sure it would have resulted in him getting killed.

16. I have never been rendered so utterly speechless after an episode, mostly due to the final moments but the overall episode also had an impact!

• Doc Savage says:

I agree – It was quite shocking. With this and the way Walking Dead is handling things – it is sure making Sunday nights frustrating!

17. Annie says:

My husband & I have been loving the show & Justin T’s role. His character is an integral part of the series! I really hope they didn’t kill him off permanently! Then again, I couldn’t believe Homeland killed off Brody either!

18. shelly says:

Several thoughts. We are in Miracle, TX, so . . . Don’t believe Kevin died. I also believe in Michael’s goodness, therefore, he has a plan. Also, the possibility that he dreamed it (he said he had been there before having the same conversation).

19. Jim says:

Remember the bird being buried for three days and when uncovered it was alive? The preview for next week shows what appeas to be Michael looking oVer the drained lake. Crazy show, could Kevin and Virgil be buried there and the scene they are showing for next week is three days later? Crazy twists in this awesome show, anything is possible.

20. Laurenday says:

I think Kevin isn’t permanently dead. I believe that the man lied to him about the actual way he had to loose Patty. I think he does want to help but the manner of how Kevin truly needs to rid himself is something he may never of gone through woth. Here is my opinion; I thinking k the grandson dragged him off to burry him like the bird his mother was talking about. I believe the man expects Kevin to need to be resurrected. So he will need to be burried. I think that the man thought Kevin would never go through with it if he told him he would be dead for a couple days. Anyways, I’m hoping that Kevin is still alive. Although, I don’t know why the man shot himself. Maybe the adversary needed to go somewhere when it left and it would go to him and he didn’t want another one. I know I have an overactive imagination and am probably over reaching on that. But, I may be on to something with my first thought.

21. Scotty says:

I think that Virgil is actually John’s father and he molested him as a child. Also, I thought that Virgil said that he would be his guide and getting rid of Patty. Has anyone considered the book Dante’s Inferno because in that story Virgil was the characters name who was the guide through hell. What I figure is that the son (grandson) has done this with his grandfather before and it will tie into being buried like the bird for 3 days (also Christ was resurrected on the 3rd day and Lindelof loves religious symbolism). In the preview for next week we also see Liv Tyler character again. I was thinking that earlier in the mailbox season when she had sex with (raped) Tommy it was for her to get pregnant. Just my thoughts.. Any comments?

• Joe says:

That’s a very cool thought and I like how it ties into a different story that you’ve seen before. Interesting. Very good thought !

• Alan says:

What seemed a bit odd to me is Michael’s reaction to seeing his Grandfather dead… Michael’s reaction was almost non-descript. That caught me as Michael seemed to be not that close to his Grandfather yet very attached.
      Tonight’s episode trailer shows Michael reacting surprised to “something”… wonder if Kevin “comes back” earlier than the three-day standard term?

22. Joe says:

I’m going to say that whatever power was watching over him when he tried drowning himself will also bring him back here as well. Like patty said the night he tried offing himself “someone’s watching over you….” Very cool twist. Left me stunned and ticked. And longing for the next episode! Great show I hope it keeps up !