Supergirl Paris Attacks

CBS Replaces Monday's Terrorism-Themed Supergirl, NCIS: Los Angeles Episodes in Wake of Paris Attacks

CBS has pulled Monday’s originally-scheduled episodes of Supergirl and NCIS: Los Angeles in the wake of Friday’s terrorist attacks in Paris that left more than 130 people dead.

NCIS: LADifferent episodes of each series will air instead. According to a CBS insider, the move was made “out of sensitivity and respect to the events that occurred.”

The scrapped Supergirl episode. titled “How Does She Do It?” had Kara dealing with bombings throughout National City. It will be replaced by the Thanksgiving-themed “Livewire,” which was originally scheduled to air the following week. Meanwhile, the ditched NCIS: Los Angeles outing, “Defectors,” involved ISIS recruiting young women. The Dec. 7 installment “The Long Goodbye,” will air in its place.

1. aph1976 says:

This move is understandable by CBS IMO but i’m sure the network will air both those episodes eventually.

2. Dalert says:

Hi, Quantico.

xoxo Supergirl.

3. Ellinaras78 says:

I think it’s a mistake to play Supergirl episodes out of order. Just do a rerun or do a news special or something.

• lesigh says:

When Columbine happened, Buffy the Vampire Slayer chose not to air two episodes (the one scheduled for that week, and then later the season finale). Continuity may be an issue, but we suspend our disbelief for these shows lots of times when things happen “off screen” and shows have been known to air episodes out of order too. So the continuity thing isn’t an issue for me.

• John NYC says:

“Thanksgiving themed” episodes may easily be rather standalone with little to no storyline progression and so not disrupt the overall arc.

• jg says:

They probably figured a feel good episode would make sense. I’d reair the pilot episode or a couple episodes of a sitcom. I wonder if Supergirl will make it through the whole season.

4. Rolfe says:

How will this affect continuity. Will their be some last minute editing?

5. I think CBS is making the right move for now, but I’m sure the episodes will eventually air. I’m shocked that Quantico is going to air its episode tonight. I was expecting ABC to pull it and air something else considering tonight’s episode is about another possible bomb in New York and an ISIS like terrorists cell.

6. Annette says:

I applaud CBS for making this decision in light of what happened in Paris. I have no doubt that CBS will know when the right time is to air those episodes. Pray for Paris.

7. lesigh says:

I am always shocked when tragedies happen like this, how shows had planned to air a similar type of episode that week. Props to CBS for choosing to not air Supergirl or NCIS tomorrow night, hopefully ABC will make the same choice about Quantico tonight.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Super bummer for Supergirl. ;-(

9. I imagine we’ll see CBS air two back to back episodes of both shows in the coming month so as to bring their narratives back on track.

10. Sg. Grant says:

I just think changing tv means the terrorists win. Maybe I’m just too desensitized to it, as a top-end millennial whose nation as been at war for half of my life.

• Kilowog says:

Totally agree

• Mark says:

I don’t see it that way. Usually, the episodes air later. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they aired the following week. It’s just tacky to air it right now for those who are grieving/hurt. We can fight fictional terrorists later. And I’m sure we will.

11. Sally McLinn says:

CBS couldn’t stop the prolific Madam Secretary last week. On that ep they actually blew up Jihadi John and two days later that’s exactly what happened.

12. lame says:

I think CBS is being too politically correct , but because of the tragedy in Paris , silence is in order.

13. Michael says:

Let the game spin out ,don’t cop out on the Truth!

14. arial2 says:

If it’s meant as respect for France, I’m all for it. But if it’s because they’re worried about offending the psyches of those who’ve grown up playing online games with the object of killing as many people as possible, I find it a little hypocritical. Supergirl and NCIS: LA are not even on my “violent tv shows” list. I rather appreciated the unplanned timing of last Sunday’s Madame Secretary. Perhaps an episode where a terrorist plot is foiled would be more welcome than the numerous shootings, knifings, draining-blood or eating-of-people, etc. on way more violent shows.

15. A. D. says:

Stupid…let’s pull them so the ongoing storyline on Supergirl is out of sequence. We change our lives, the terrorists win!

16. Grace331 says:

I actually of the mindset that shows have nothing to do with real life. Whether Supergirl or NCIS goes on air or not has nothing to do with the horrific things happening around the world. I don’t applaud CBS for taking them off the air. I’d applaud them if they actually did something! But not airing a show whatever it’s nothing a meaningless gesture that makes us talk about CBS and not the actual real issue of what happened in Paris and around the world.

• fiberlicious says:

Yet, if they aired these episodes on schedule, mobs of people would scream “INSENSITIVE!” Since the networks can’t win, I’d rather they err on the side of respect.

17. CBS should make the skipped episodes available on demand with a warning in the description. That way overly sensitive people can’t just stumble upon the episode live, but non-casual viewers will have the freedom of choice to avoid continuity errors and skipped character development. Also, ISIS has done enough already to attack free western society we don’t to give them more wins by feeding into Censorship and letting them take away episodes of our favorite escapisms we use to escape them.

• John NYC says:

Show rescheduling isn’t remotely “censorship” and no doubt the episodes will be broadcast in a week or so with no effect on the continuity. Their holiday ep just gets out a little early. Those are usually arc pauses anyway.

• Making the decision for a viewers that they can’t watch an episode is censorship regardless of the reason. The point is, viewers have free will and should be allowed to watch whatever they want as long as the content is legal. There is a term for this in television called Viewer Discretion and all CBS really needs to do is issue a Viewer Discretion is Advised graphic and respect peoples capacity to exercise Viewer Discretion instead of implementing Network Discretion, which is another Term for Censorship.

• duelistjp says:

i think it was buffy that after columbine took two eps out of that season and we didn’t see them till dvd

• esteban says:

You keep using the word “censorship” incorrectly, when it’s their own product being regulated. Go spend 10 minutes with a dictionary and get back to us.

• fiberlicious says:

I expect that the episodes will air the following week – they’re not going to just dump them.

• grazelled says:

I think this is action is pre-emption as opposed to censorship considering the rescheduled episode will be shown in a week or two. Had this attack occurred in the USA instead of France maybe showing support for the pain of others and will be seen by ISIS as something they can’t figure out and we will have won somehow. I wouldn’t mind seeing a rerun if it offers comfort to someone anywhere. But we’re still getting a new episode and should see the episodes scheduled to air tomorrow very soon. That’s called rescheduling, not censorship according to my dictionary.

18. Eli says:

Im sure it will air eventually, though not for awhie. The Buffy Episode “Earshot” which was supposed to air a couple days after columbine, aired almost six months later.

19. Jose Kuervo says:

This really sucks…. I hate when they do this. One thing has no relation with the other.

20. They should release the original Supergirl episode online tomorrow so interested parties can watch the episode ahead of the new one!

21. John NYC says:

Like most other angstfests I’m just going to wait until I see the actual episodes to form an opinion on whether this is an over reaction on CBS part ir a cautious or move with no significant disruption to their storylines. The same with those that run scheduled stuff.

22. Drew says:

I think it’d rather see Supergirl kicking some terrorist a$$ right now, but that’s just me.

23. The episode of NCIS: LA that they’re pulling isn’t just a stand-alone episode It includes a finale scene that rolls into the next episode, which deals with an ongoing plotline we’ve been waiting to see resolved since last season. By pulling the episode, they’re screwing up this entire line. If they’re afraid to air the ISIS plotline, they should re-edit the shows so the following episode can air on schedule. Are we really so childish that we can’t differentiate TV shows that were filmed weeks or months ago from something that happened in real life and has no connection?

• John NYC says:

It still depends on the content of the replacement. And if they simply delay that arc one by a week and still show them otherwise in order.

• It’s simple Networks should respect Viewer Discretion and realize censorship just feeds into the terrorist ideologies against the western freedoms of thought and expression.

• Marianne says:

Do you know what goes into editing? You can’t just pull the questionable content without having something to go in its place. And it may not be that people can’t tell the difference between real or make believe. Some stuff triggers bad memories for some people. There is nothing wrong with that. Like I still get triggers about 9/11 when I hear the song I Won’t Back Down by Tom Petty. Don’t think that makes me childish at all.

24. robandco says:

Smart move, or rather sensible move. But they shouldn’t air the episodes out of order. I understand there are advertising deals and a lot of money at stake but they could have aired reruns of both shows.
    I just hope they’ll air those episodes very soon (like next week…).

25. Mark says:

Tonight’s Quantico episode is about ANOTHER bomb going off in NYC. This is really ill-timed and I hope ABC pull it and make it a rerun or put another show in its place. (The Muppets! I like them).

26. NDFan says:

Understandable. At the end of the day, its just a TV show.

27. Not long ago Mr. Robot postponed an episode out of respect for the reporter and cameraman shot to death on live tv. Now this horrific tragedy. Maybe this episode will air after the probable standalone Thanksgiving episode for the sake of continuity.

28. Rocco says:

Well at least they will be a new episode.

Its sad what happened in Paris, but that got nothing to do with fictional shows. Fiction mimics real life all the time, making light of issues that affect real people every day. Its all just fun and games to everyone who works in the entertainment industry until something like this reminds them how serious these issues are.

If they care about sensitivity, they shouldn’t even be doing terrorist and murder plots etc to begin with but we all know playing fun and games with these issues is how they make their money.

29. Jose Vazquez says:

This is exactly what i dislike of our country, we are way to sensitive! In light of the recent events we need to continue to live our lives, continue with original programming! USA! We are America for God’s sake! Let’s stop trying to accommodate the radicals!

30. Jim J. says:

About that “NCIS: LA” episode that was supposed to air in December, has post-production work even been completed on that episode yet? If not, then CBS expects them to just rush any post-production on that episode before tomorrow night?

31. Shannon says:

I’m currently watching NCIS reruns right now, in an arc revolving around terrorists. I would prefer watching these things to not, because even though they’re just tv shows, it’s nice to see the tv show characters kick terrorist butt. However, if CBS is that deeply affected by the Paris attacks and doesn’t want to air episodes that are just a little too close to home right now, that’s their right.

32. John NYC says:

CBS isn’t alone, ABC is airing back to back episodes of Once Upon a Time instead of Quantico.

33. peterwdawson says:

Continuity is going to be a headache, but yeah, probably for the best.

34. The Watcher says:

Anytime we change how we’d normally act in response to terrorism, we’re giving up freedom in exchange for fear.

Recent events of reality have been horrible and tragic… That said, Television being strategically censored for content that Networks otherwise would not normally think twice about airing is just letting themselves be manipulated by circumstances.

NCIS: LA has been dealing with plot situations related to Terrorism since it’s inception.
    Supergirl is about as far from reality as you can get….

I just don’t get the “overreaction” to censor content that would normally air without comment or care, especially when doing so ties the tragic current events to the shows more fully than just airing the shows in spite of events and not making it a focal issue in the first place…

Feels more like damage control than expressing sensetivity. IMHO.

35. Jason says:

How is Ncis LA going to explain Deeks storyline he suppose to be arrested tomorrow night

• Eric says:

It’ll be interesting to see how much of this moved up episode actually references Deeks’ arrest since Defectors and Internal Affairs are somewhat paired episodes that may or may not have ramifications on The Long Goodbye. If anything, some references in dialogue are going to be a bit off that will only get fixed once the other two are aired.

36. Denise J. Canada says:

Great job…..these shows are great. they make a point every time they are on.

37. chaosrainz says:

Any word yet on this week’s episode of “Legends” on TNT? There was an attack being planned in Paris in last week’s episode.

38. Bonnie says:

Ridiculous of CBS to cancel new episodes… we adults should be able to determine what we want to watch.

• John NYC says:

I wanted to watch a lot more Firefly so I feel your pain.

Though I expect they’ll air the delayed episodes at a later date, perhaps even next week.

39. that promo for next week did not look like a promo for episode 4.

40. Mynd says:

My condolences to France and the families directly affected by the recent tragedy in Paris, but seriously, it is absurd that we live in a world where networks have to cancel/change episode airings in the wake of unrelated tragedies to avoid offending people; those offended need a serious reality check.

Sigh, people need to have thicker skins in this world and be intelligent enough to disassociate things that have nothing reasonable to do with each other.

41. PARIS TERRORIST ATTACKS CHANGE EVERYTHING!

FACT: MUSLIMS are no longer WELCOME in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA

Follow U.S. on FACEBOOK: NAAWP

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION for the ADVANCEMENT of WHITE PEOPLE – 2015

42. Amber says:

is this why you are waiting so long to air the new ncis season 13 episode 11?? i feel like ive been waiting forever for it and now i see i have to wait another week!!!

43. Red Wolf says:

That explains NCIS LA, but what about the original NCIS? Are you airing repeats on Tuesday’s for the same reason?