How to Get Away With Murder Recap: Jesus, Take the Deal

We know somebody’s going bang-bang into Annalise Keating’s chest on next week’s How to Get Away With Murder. But there are bangs of the non-bullet variety — four of ’em, if you catch my drift — in the calm before the violence.

So now we know what Michaela’s O-face looks like, how Connor and Oliver (he lives!) respond to the possibility of getting caught studying each other’s bodies of law and which part of Laurel tastes like Frank’s sauce* (*I was going to say “not as dirty as it sounds,” but on second thought, it might be dirtier). Bonus: We’ve also learn the one thing that throws Annalise off balance — and it’s apparently a torso made of adamantium, testosterone and low-grade depression.

One of the few people not turning Christina Aguilera’s obscenely underrated “Get Mine, Get Yours” into his personal theme song is sullen Wes. He might as well be wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the message, “My coworkers are getting their freaks on — and all I got was a stupid painting.” Not since the titular protagonist got a rock in It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown has a TV character received such an unwelcome gift!

That is, until said portraiture provides He Who Hasn’t Had the Theoretical Trophy All Season with the biggest clue of all. Let’s discuss further as we recap the action from “I’m Philip”:

NO USE CRYING OVER SPILLED MILK | When Connor discovers Oliver has left their apartment unlocked, forgotten his personal effects and left a carton of 1% on the kitchen floor, he understandingly freaks out — assuming Philip has gotten wise to the firm’s entrapment plan and abducted his main squeeze. Just when Annalise finally agrees it’s time to call the cops, though, Ollie strolls in — with the biological child that Dead Auntie Hapstall gave up for adoption way back when. He claims he’s weird but not dangerous and that his birth parents live in Iowa — but he’s not so happy about the cyberstalking and invasion of privacy brought on by the Keating firm. He threatens to go to the police or sue — neither of which seem all that terrible considering Oliver is alive and well and can grace our screens with his sweet smile and sexy-nerd ways for another 10 seasons. And when Philip finally does make it down to the station to give a statement, Nate tampers with his file to make the kid look like a schizophrenic who falsely reports stalkings on the regular. Damn, that’s cold! Falsely accuse not, lest ye be falsely accused, sir!

DEAL OR NO DEAL | With no “client of the week,” Annalise and her minions focus on Caleb and Catherine’s murder trial — and let’s just say the Hapstall siblings’ trust in Annalise is shaken when they learn she’s been withholding from them news of Philip’s existence. This turns out to be an inconvenient time for infighting and suspicion, as ADA Sinclair offers a plea deal — 15 years apiece for Caleb and Catherine, if they admit they’re guilty of murdering their parents. First, Caleb agrees to do the full 30 if his sister walks. But when even Michaela’s womanly charms fail to convince him, it’s Asher who discovers the Keating office is being bugged — and so Annalise & Co. throw Sinclair off the scent and make her look like a fool when she storms the Hapstall mansion looking for guns in all the wrong places. (Line of the night: “Sinclair’s been tappin’ our asses — and not in a good way.” Oh, Doucheface, never change!)

Sinclair’s not done yet, though. Catherine goes to her office and negotiates 10 years for herself, zero for Caleb. The judge is about to bang her gavel and end the whole enchilada when in walks Frank — with DNA evidence (collected by Oliver and sped through the city’s forensic lab with a $50,000 bribe from his Suitcase of Cash) showing Philip’s was the foreign DNA found at the crime scene. Damn those Hapstall kids had better not question Annalise’s judgment ever again — or shoot her, for that matter.

“YOU KNOW, THERE ARE MEDS FOR THAT” | Sinclair is melting down in her office, and Annalise is loving it — especially when her rival’s retorts are so tragically tepid. “I’m gonna go to your boss and tell him that you’ve been having ex parte dealings not once but twice with my clients — and he’s gonna send your hick ass back to whatever haystack you crawled out of,” roars Keating. And all Sinclair can do is brightly respond, “I’m from Connecticut!” Grrrrrllll — THERE IS HAY IN CONNECTICUT! Ultimately, though, Annalise reveals to Sinclair that not only was Philip’s DNA found at the scene, but he’s the product of incest between Catherine and Caleb’s dead aunt and their murdered adopted father. “Good luck in getting the jury to believe that the inbred weirdo didn’t do it,” taunts Annalise… but methinks poor Sinclair won’t live to see that case go to trial.

CONDOLENCES IF YOU ATE CARBS DURING TONIGHT’S EPISODE (OR ANY TIME THIS WEEK) | While Annalise is initially not having any part of Nate’s indecision between wanting to screw her or kill her — “I’m not gonna spread my legs for you as some sort of payment,” she says, practically rolling her eyes — later in the episode they give in, after Nate says he truly wants to know her. (What I wanna know is how many hours a week is dude in the gym to achieve THAT TORSO.) Annalise and Nate’s luxurious intercourse is interspliced with Frank and Laurel enjoying “meatballs and sauce,” Connor and Oliver turning Annalise’s classroom into their own private boudoir, and Michaela and Caleb showing just how much their like each other. (Let’s take a moment and raise our glasses to Michaela’s first orgasm! May she live long enough to have a second one — no guarantee on this show, alas.) Oh, and like I mentioned before, Wes gets a painting from Catherine — and he realizes he’s seen it before, in footage from Philip’s apartment. He rushes to Annalise with the intel, just as Caleb takes Michaela to the living room and shows her the murder weapon he found in an old heating vent. “What if she did killed them?” he asks Michaela about his sister, who is taking the evening to meet in a car with Philip. “Don’t worry — I’m gonna take care of this,” he says — and knowing that in three days, the Hapstall mansion will include at least one dead body and one near-dead body, one has to wonder just how dangerous HTGAWM’s newest newebie might be.

WHERE’S BONNIE? | Bonnie is MIA for most of the hour — washing away her bad vibes, sadness and anger in her shower. But in flash-forwards, we see her take complete control of the Keating Four on Shooting Night — apparently Lurky McChurchmouse learned a thing or two from her mentor. “Was this your idea? Don’t lie to me!” she snaps at Connor. “There is no decision here! It was already made and you agreed. So either get on board, or you’re the next dead body out there.” Hot damn! With Rebecca’s death notched on her bedbpost, Bonbon’s not afraid to throw around the death threats — and the full-fledged crazy looks good on her.

IN OTHER NEWS | Annalise sends a selfie to her mother (which I hope signals the Season 2 return of Cicely Tyson); Annalise appoints Laurel as the new Bonnie (for now); and (ugh) Wes still feels guilty about not going to the police over Sam’s death. I think it’s time Annalise stopped coddling him and gave him a crisp slap of reality. Wes basically saved Rebecca from being choked to death — and his guilt level should reflect that from here on out. In other words, no more brooding! Go take a lover, kiddo, or at least expand your wardrobe beyond drab workshirts!

What did you think of this week’s HTGAWM? Who do you think shot Annalise? Did Catherine have a hand in her parents’ deaths — or are we being misled? Sound off below!

1. laurelnev says:

So let me get this straight: Phillip did it in the Library with the revolver. Katherine was in on it the whole time, unbeknownst to her brother, and she plotted with her father’s biological-incestuous son from the start? Is that about it? And they set up Ana & Co to hack him so that he could file charges to blackmail them in order to cover his tracks? At least Oliver is physically safe, if not safe from possible charges. Guess the hacking charges could remain an issue regardless of whether PhilCat are murderers or not. For Cat, double jeopardy wouldn’t apply, as charges were dropped after she rejected the plea, so I guess they’re going to blackmail the scooby gang into getting them off. Guess EVERYONE has been wrong about which son Catherine was sleeping with!

2. Jana says:

Can we talk about the fact that Connor and Oliver were 69ING on prime time TV??? Hahaha the producers of this show really don’t give af, and it’s awesome! Does anyone know if that’s been done before?

• Huh says:

It’s on at 10pm. Standards are different then.

• Max says:

Its broadcast TV and 2 men… Shonda has made huge strides inin racial & sexual diversity. Whether oGrey’s, Scandal or HTGAWM, gay characters and their Sexual exploits & relationships are treated the same. Those who are old enough would remember the “scandal” of 2 men in bed on 10pm shows like Thirty something or a same sex kiss. I ♥ Connor & Oliver…

For Disney owned AbcABC, its a big deal, considering dwts doesnt want 22 men dancing together. This isn’t cable where viewers of American Horror Story have been treated to a lot of gay sex and Cheyenne Jackson’s butt

• Angela says:

That took me by surprise a little, too, yeah :p! But agreed on how awesome it is that this show doesn’t give a damn about possible reactions to that sort of thing. I just kept wondering what would happen if Annalise ever found out about them having sex in her classroom :D. That reaction could be…amusing.

• zac says:

My thoughts were like
      “are they done having sex? why are they lying in different directions? OH.”

• mrmcgee says:

Right?! I was like, whoa. (Though not in the most comfortable place.)

• Win says:

I was so glad Oliver was alive, and then for them to throw that in, I was like, forget murder – tell me how to get away with that! :)

• Leo says:

Hmmm… I didn’t notice it. Guess I have to watch it again……..what? I’m not a perv. I just need to confirm it. Hee.

3. Huh says:

Ollie is alive! Yay!

4. ChicagoDan says:

Excellent review and another dense episode including #TheAsherDance. One note in review – it’s not 3 days from Catherine/Philip scene. Shouldn’t it be THAT or the next night? We went back 3 days – night with Philip and the next 2 days with the plea deals: 1) Caleb’s expired at 5 pm and then 2) Catherine’s Noon hearing (current day show ended).

5. Angela says:

Catherine and Philip. Wow. I KNEW the resolution with Philip and Oliver seemed way too easy (but yay for Oliver being alive and well!), and that at least one of the Hapstall siblings had to be hiding a secret of some sort. This would certainly explain part of whatever the hell’s going on with Catherine’s “pretending to be dead” thing we see happening in the flash forward-though how she winds up with Frank, I can’t yet figure out.
    (I will say, though, happy as I was to see Michaela and Caleb finally get together, it struck me funny that Caleb decided to bring up his concerns about Catherine AFTER they had sex. I would think he would’ve alerted her to that earlier that evening, but…libidos speak louder, I guess!)
    Sinclair is really doing everything in her power to have us cheering her death next week, isn’t she? Good lord, “smug” seems too polite a word to describe her. As for Nate, yeah, I was a little shocked at his messing with that file to make it seem like Philip had a mental illness-I know he was trying to help, and yeah, Philip’s shady as hell, but still…that’s a pretty risky move. And speaking of Nate…
    Oh, hey, you noticed that, too, eh :D? Yeah. Damn. That’s all I gotta say about that. Just…damn. Also, yes to your hope of another appearance from Cicely Tyson, and as for Wes and his brooding, perhaps he should hook up with someone again, too-that seems to be the answer to EVERYONE’S tension and problems on this show :p.
    And finally (she says after this tl;dr post), Asher’s wordless thing about the bug in the pen was hilarious, and Connor telling Frank and Laurel that they were an example of why straight people shouldn’t breed cracked me up. Next week is going to be NUTS, and I cannot wait to see how everything on the night of those flash forward scenes goes down.

6. Belinda says:

Hey- on another note, did anyone catch that remark by Annalise on LAST week’s episode (11/5) when she said “He’s the boy” about Wes? Is that her child? JW

• Moo says:

I did catch that and have been wondering the same thing. In every episode I’m saying to myself “Wow. I didn’t see that coming” because I thought Annalise was saying Wes is her child. But then when the subject didn’t come up again, I figured she just meant he’s the boy she’s protecting because Wes killed Sam.

• Karen says:

Even tho she admitted she’s protecting Wes for killing Sam she did also suggest he is her son n that’s why she’s protecting him

7. K says:

Hey why did Catherine send Wes a painting? Who was the family on it?

• Lucie says:

I wondered the same thing. I’ll have to watch it again to see if it is in the scene with Wes and Catherine and if he refers to that particular painting.

8. MyFairLady says:

I actually drooled a bit when Nate was undressing..MY goodness, that torso is just perfection. I’m glad Nate & AnnaL are “back on”, they make more sense than her and Eve.
    I don’t think AnnaL wants anyone in Frank’s life. she wants him all to herself. All of sudden she’s favoring Laurel and treating Frank with such a cold shoulder. I don’t buy it..this has reverse psychology written all over.
    Seriously Wes needs to get it to together…Sam and Rebecca are not worth him being miserable for 8 episodes! These writers need to take him off the back burner and utilize him more. He needs some loving.

9. Ck says:

Am I crazy for thinking Sinclair was on the phone with Famke? I don’t think she is bright enough to be doing this on her own.

10. Ryan H says:

I thought Sinclair said she was from Kentucky or am I hearing things and in the context of Annalise’s insult prior to Sinclair saying where she was from I associate Kentucky with that insult? If so, my apologies – slow Texas mind here ;)

11. DT says:

Didn’t Levi give Michaela her first orgasm? Anyway….

12. Nikki says:

Glad to know i wasnt the only one having a moment with Wes. Like sweetie get laid, that being said anyone else thinking that she’s his son?? I mean she’s really coddling him. Maybe thats what pushed him over the edge and he killed Annalise…

13. Coby says:

I like how everyone gave Wes such a hard time for hooking up with Rebecca (Michaela In particular) and then she hooks up with the next big client. Maybe that’s why everyone gets a love scene and Wes is left out. He doesn’t want to be ridiculed again, and now basically everyone else is doing the same thing (sleeping with fellow employees, sleeping with a cop you framed, sleeping with the only “good” person on the show and putting him in danger, and finally doing th EXACT same thing Wes did and sleeping with a client even though she gave Wes such a hard time for doing the same thing (talking to you Michaela!).

14. robandco says:

Poor Wes being left out of the final orgy. I hope he finds someone during 2B. Someone like Oliver is for Connor. I like the idea of him with Laurel but she’s too busy with Frank’s sauce…
    He needs to forget about Rebecca and move on.

15. kate says:

I’m just happy Oliver is alive!!!!

16. obriensg1 says:

As a heterosexual male, I still went slack jawed at Nate’s torso. That was impressive and enviable. Lol

17. tardisrepairman says:

Thank you for submitting your entry to be Humanitarian of the Year.