Starbucks Cups Controversy

Starbucks Cup Controversy: Daily Show Tackles 'Stupid' Online Outrage

If your Internet is working — which I assume it is, since you’re reading this — you’re probably aware of the growing (and totally ridiculous) controversy surrounding Starbucks’ new, not-Christmasy-enough holiday cups.

Trevor Noah is certainly aware of it, and like most of us, he thinks the whole thing is utter nonsense.

“The cups are red and green,” Noah said on Tuesday’s Daily Show. “That’s the color of Christmas. They didn’t make the cups red and green in honor of stoplights or to remember the time that Kermit got a rash — which, by the way, Kermit, is what happens when you sleep with two pigs at once. Should have worn a lily pad.”

But Noah didn’t merely illuminate Kermit’s proclivity for pig sex. No, sir. He also did what all those rage-first-ask-questions-never news organizations have failed to do in their coverage of Starbucks’ War on Christmas: He pointed out that the whole debacle — which has now become a talking point for Presidential hopeful Donald Trump — was started by an online troll, one who gets fake-angry about a whole number of things, hoping the gullible public will latch onto at least one of his many causes.

Stupid mission accomplished.

Hit PLAY on the video below for Noah’s full take-down, then drop a comment with your own thoughts — though I wouldn’t begrudge you for not having any — on this crazy-pants controversy.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Get More: The Daily Show Full Episodes,The Daily Show on Facebook,The Daily Show Video Archive

1. Jess says:

i totally agree with him. it’s the stupidest thing to be mad about. It’s a cup that you are going to throw out once you’re done our coffee. who cares what’s on it.

2. wrstlgirl says:

I don’t get it.

3. Trump is confusing the presidency with tyranny. That would be the tyrant president the second amendment was put in place for…

4. LADY_in_MD says:

Look I don’t care what type of cup it comes in as long as they make my drink right I’m happy!
    Also don’t these people know you can bring your own cup?? Or is logic too much for them to handle??

5. Et al. says:

The imaginary war on Christmas has gone from annoying to funny to annoying again.

6. Marco says:

Why is that even an issue?

7. Tony Lang says:

Is this really something worth its own stand-alone article on TV Line, a comment about a pointless social media debate that a comedian made on a comedy show? Come on Andy, TV Line is better than this.

8. mary says:

I don’t believe it is an issue. It is a marketing ploy by Starbucks to sell more coffee. I haven’t heard anyone complaining about the plain red cups, but plenty of comments from the other side!

• Jana says:

There were actually quite a few articles from conservative sites, which sparked people tweeting at Starbucks saying that they wouldn’t shop there anymore. It was quite dumb.

9. Dave says:

This controversy is an embarrassment to the rest of us normal Christians who have our priorities straight. To get so worked up over something so trivial and insignificant is moronic and does nothing to spread holiday cheer and love. These people complaining are literally ruining the Christmas season.

• David4 says:

These are the 2 million Christians who watch Fox News and expect to get facts about how blacks and jews are destroying the country. And if we give the billionaires just a tiny bit more money everything will be saved!

• Lucifer says:

I’ved watched Fox News before and I don’t remember them saying anything along those lines. Either it’s because I’m not a regular viewer, you’re getting them mixed up with Stormfront or you made it up.

• Angela says:

Well said. I sure wish the Christians who make a big fuss over dumb stuff like this could channel that same outrage into things like helping the poor, and feeding the hungry, and donating time to various charities. Imagine all they could accomplish then!
      This story is hilarious and yet also really sad all at the same time. Some people, seriously…

• Lucifer says:

I get what you’re saying, but there’s no way of knowing if the people complaining about this ridiculous cup (which seems like a vocal minority at this point compared to the media coverage on it) are not donating to people in need. If they were raising money against Starbucks, then okay. But saying something on facebook or twitter doesn’t take long to do and isn’t wasting much time.

If you want a first world problem that actually did waste money, look no further than #Manspreading. The women who started a fundraiser to get enough money to make posters telling men how to sit on public transport raised over $75k.

10. thanks999 says:

Stupid show, stupid cup, life goes on

11. Bazinga says:

I know a ton of Christians and not a single one is outraged over these cups. Is this the media trolling us? Starbucks trying to get publicity? This is such a dumb story that I keep hearing about. I hope it dies soon.

• jakis says:

It showed up all over my Facebook feed yesterday, including from some people I thought were smarter than that. This morning, I heard a lady berate a guy who happened to be carrying the red cup past her (it sounded like she didn’t know him) and telling him he ought to be boycotting. She said, “It’s a shame because I love their coffee, but you have to boycott.” The guy carrying the cup looked at her like she had lost her mind and just kept on walking with his cup. So, yes, I would say it’s real and the troll who started it has gotten some mileage out of it.

• Stacy says:

This is what happens when rather than reading the story, people read the headline and then retweet, repost or favorite. I would say that fake issues like this distract from real issues that need addressing, but considering that people are only reading headlines… maybe they should just stay out of it. :(

12. Mehvash says:

HAHAHA. this is the best thing i’ve seen all day home sick. i love that this was started by an internet troll. it truly shows what lemmings people have become. if the pictures on a cup ruin your christmas then you’ve got issues. #firstworldproblems

13. Jason. P says:

I actually wonder how many people are upset by this? this seems like a time where more people are joking about people upset than actual people upset. Making a story out of something

14. VJ says:

Well, people have too much time if they can afford to be mad about Starbucks cups, I assume….

15. KC says:

This is so silly and stupid. Red is associated with Christmas, so deal with it! MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!!!

16. Virginia says:

As we all know Christmas is not a Christian holiday anyway, it’s a pagan one. What do snowmen, holly & snowflakes have to do with Jesus? The over zealous sector of Christianity needs a new cause, this one is hypocritical. You should be thanking Starbucks for removing pagan imagery from their cups. Seriously, find something else to complain about.