Nathaniel Marston Dead

One Life to Live's Nathaniel Marston Dead at 40, Following Car Accident

Nathaniel Marston, best known for his six-year run as Michael McBain on One Life to Live, died Wednesday of injuries sustained in a late-October car accident. He was 40.

His mother, Elizabeth, confirmed her son’s passing in a Facebook post Wednesday evening. “It is with a heavy heart that I share this devastating news,” she wrote. “My beloved and cherished son… who was putting up the good fight until last night was not able to continue due to the traumatic and devastating nature of his injuries. Nathaniel passed away peacefully as I held him in my arms.”

Marston had been in critical condition following the accident, which took place near Reno, Nevada and left him with a broken neck and back. “Had Nathaniel lived he would have required a ventilator and would never have been able to utter one more word and would have been sentenced to life as a quadriplegic — a condition that Nate would have never have been able to tolerate,” Elizabeth added. “By Gods love and mercy Nathaniel was spared this living hell.”

In addition to OLTL, Marston appeared in episodes of Blue Bloods, Law & Order: SVU, Castle and White Collar.

A number of Marston’s former co-stars took to social media to remember the late actor, including his OLTL brother Michael Easton, who in a Facebook post evoked Jimi Hendrix’s “The Story of Life,” saying, “The story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye. The story of love is hello and goodbye. Until we meet again.”

Scroll down to read more tributes…

MISS YOU MY BROTHERThe story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye. The story of love is hello and goodbye. Until we meet again. — Jimi Hendrix

Posted by Michael Easton on Wednesday, November 11, 2015

1. Leigh Townley says:

Very sad. Positive thoughts to his mother. May he Rest in Peace.

2. Murl says:

This is so sad

3. Lena120 says:

This is so sad. I watched Nathan during his entire run on One Life. He was a great actor. Praying for his family, especially his mother. She seems to be such a strong woman. RIP.

4. Robinn says:

Such a sad ending for a beautiful soul. I had the pleasure to meet him several times. May he rest in peace.

5. JBC says:

Nathaniel was in one of my most favorite episodes of White Collar:Front Man. My condolences and prayers to his mom and family. RIP Nathaniel, gone too soon.

6. Mare says:

That is so sad. Deepest sympathies to his family. RIP, Nathanial

7. Ann Downs says:

So sorry to hear this prayers for the family.

8. Melanie Smith says:

He was on, “As the World Turns,” a long time ago. Really good actor. RIP

• Andrea says:

Yeah, As the World Turns is where I remember watching Nathaniel. What a sad loss.

• Richard says:

I remember, Melanie. He played Eddie Silva (the boy Tom & Margo brought into their home after Margo shot & killed Eddie’s drug-addicted mother).
      By the way, are you THE Melanie Smith, who once played “Emily” on ATWT?
      Just wondering…
      R.I.P., Nathaniel…..
      Richard

9. laurelnev says:

Deepest sympathies to the family.

But to the Mom, well I’m sure what you said was colored by grief, but one is not “sentenced to life” as a quadriplegic, and even implying such is a grave insult to those who do incredible things after transitioning to being a person with a disability.

And many of us suffer “critical” injuries, are told we’ll never walk again, and do so with mechanical assistance. Others of us relearn how to live life without the functional use of one or more of our extremities.

To equate life as a quad to a prison term given the most heinous of criminals is just totally wrong. I’m sure Steven Hawking would agree.

And I’d just like to add that OLTL, the show on which your son built his career, also recognized this. When Michael Zaslow was diagnosed with ALS and fired from his current soap, OLTL brought him back. His character remained on the show for years, communicating with an aug comm device similar to that used by Steven Hawking. They rewrote the role to accommodate Michael’s declining health. He acted the role while in the late stages, from his motorized wheelchair.

Again, I am sorry for your loss, but surviving as a quad is not a “life sentence;” it is a gift and a second chance to live your life. Sometimes you DON’T only have One Life to Live.

• Deb says:

There are times when one should think before they speak! This was the time!!

• laurelnev says:

Looks like you need to take your own advice.

• joe says:

Wow you are an idiot!

• grazelled says:

This mother just lost her son, she is in deep pain, probably the worst she’s ever felt in her whole life. This is NOT the time for a PSA about disability but empathy for the loss another human is feeling. In 4 days it will be 20 years that I lost my young dad to Lou Gehrig’s disease or ALS so I understand about disability for this and other reasons as well. But I also know think that when someone’s mourning, we should let them know we care or not say anything, silence is truly golden.

I’ve been reading Ms. Jackson’s updates on FB and am very sorry for her loss as well as those who were close to Nathaniel. I loved his work on OLTL and miss seeing him on my screen.

• Your reply at this time was not called for. Had this been another situation and not a grief stricken mother stating how being paralyzed would not have worked for her son(not you). She was not on a platform making a speech. Just a grieving mother. You should be Ashamed of yourself for being bitter and get therapy!

• brenda stremmel says:

i agree. for gods sake she just lost her son. what right do u have to say anything that this mother is feeling? r u serious? put urself in her shoes.

• kimberly says:

so very true…i think the mom was just stating HER SON would not have wanted to live this way….and SHE HAS THAT RIGHT TO FEEL THAT WAY!

• autumndreamer76 says:

I had the opportunity to meet Nathaniel a few times… I think overall he would have been unhappy being a quadriplegic. He was a very active person…it’s hard to describe even how he threw himself into a simple laugh.

• tj says:

Wrong timing and place. Poor judgement on your part….

• sean says:

Yes very bad timing you sound like a very bitter person. Learn to put your other foot in your mouth geez…

• sean says:

I’m sorry kind of got caught in the moment…i feel the same way. I wouldn’t want to live that life it I like living in a prison. My brother suffered the same kind of injuries and was paralyzed. He was very unhappy and when he passed he got peace…RIP Nathaniel

• KC says:

Wow, just go away laurelnev

• Mary says:

Your insensitivity is beyond words. RIP Nate.

• Eran says:

Her son *JUST* died, you ghoul! He just died. I suggest you ring up the Westboro Baptist Church. Maybe you could get them to picket the funeral on your behalf… unbelievable…

• neet says:

First off laurelnev, his mother knew him best. From what I read about this actor, he was physically active and independent. To go from that to relying on machines to breathe, not being able to walk or talk or made his needs known probably would seem like a prison to this young man. As for Mr. Zaslow, he wasn’t on he wasn’t on OLTL for years as you stated (after his ALS diagnosis) but for 7 months. He was on off and on within those 7 months and finally he became too ill to work. He passed away on December 1,1998 at the age of 54,

• aph1976 says:

Considering she just her son i think we should give Nathaniel’s mother a pass for now.Plus if it was your son in that condition, what would you want for him?

• Tess says:

Ugh, your trite condolences are completely insincere since you used it as an oportunity to get on your soapbox. Im sure you were so proud of it too.

• Ginger Snap says:

I think you’re missing a sensitivity chip. Stop being sell centered, put your filters on and leave your opinions to yourself .This isn’t the time or place to wage this campaign . You don’t know the nature of his injuries. As someone who has worked with families dealing with rhese issues, you don’t understand the what the family is dealing with .
      in order words , STFU.

• Shannon says:

I completely understand why you were offended by her statement. But this woman just lost her son. She’s trying to count not just her blessings, but also her son’s blessings, and stay positive. This has helped me cope with loss in my life, so I’m very happy she’s already dealing with this in a healthy way.

My thoughts and prayers with the family ❤

10. Tammy says:

I Loved Nathaniel on One life to live..been a fan since day one. A great and handsom actor. You will be greatly missed but im also glad you are Not suffering anymore. Rest in peace. My thoughts prayers & Love to your mom & family.

11. Cindy Wallen says:

So sad to hear of his passing. He was a very talented actor and will be missed by many. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and those who jnew

12. a.j says:

Sorry to hear about your loss.I liked Nathaniel,watched him on OLTL.May he rest in peace.

13. shirley says:

Heartbreaking news about Nathaniel Marston. Taken way too soon. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very sad time.

14. tahina says:

Another young soul gone. RIP. Strength to his family and friends.

15. Catherine Di Vinci says:

I am so sorry to learn of Nathaniels passing. I remember him on OLTL . I too lost my son at 40. No one can ever explain the pain his Mom and family are feeling. My heartfelt condolences to the family. I know how how you feel and I am sorry.

16. kimberly says:

what a talented young man….we were all rooting for him and my prayers certainly go out to his family.Nathaniel Marston thank you for being such a wonderful actor.We just adored you on One Life To Live!

17. Sara says:

This is so sad. I really enjoyed him immensely on OLTL. Healing thoughts to his friends and family at this time.

18. Marguerite Petrizzi says:

So sad. I loved him on OLTL. RIP and my thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

19. april-ann says:

I saw today that he had been in a very bad car accident but didn’t know he had died until I just saw here. I am so very sorry to hear this. He was a beautiful and talented actor who I was very happy to have entertain me as I invited him into my living room on a daily basis for years. I rooted for the character he portrayed and that is a testament to him. Rest in peace.

20. TAB says:

If you search for the news about the car accident, you discover that he wasn’t wearing his seatbelt when his truck flipped. I know it always sucks to say this but WEAR YOUR SEATBELT PEOPLE. It will prevent you from being thrown from
    your vehicle. It’s not that difficult of a concept!

• autumndreamer76 says:

Actually, if you saw pictures of the pickup, you’d know that wearing a seat belt in this case might not have helped at all, but instead made this worse right off the bat. Basically, the cab was crushed.

21. diane says:

So sad. I fondly remember his time as Al/Michael.

22. Oh my. So sorry to hear this. One life to live was and will always be my favorite soap opera ever. I have stopped watching since it went off the air. Hello Kassie DePaiva and Melissa Archer above and all the other fine actors and actresses who appeared on this wonderful show. I wish it was still on the air. Nathaniel Marlston will be greatly missed. Condolences go out to his family. Sorry to hear this.

23. liame says:

RIP Nathaniel Marston.

24. Chris Hughes says:

so sorry for your loss my kind thoughts are with you all at this very sad time x

25. JM says:

Michael Easton’s quote said it best. RIP, Nathaniel.

26. Whatevah says:

This makes me sad. RIP..

27. aph1976 says:

My condolences to his family and loved ones.However as sad as Nathaniel’s passing is maybe him dying gave him peace instead of been hooked up to machines and his family might have forced to pull the plug on him one day.

• grazelled says:

I’ve been reading his mother’s posts on FB and he was hooked up to a ventilator since the accident but his organs shut down plus he had other complications with infection. Within 12 hours of his accident his heart stopped twice. His heart is on the right side of his body otherwise he would have died from from injuries on impact. It’s a miracle he lived as long as he did from what his mother, Elizabeth Jackson, has posted on Facebook.

28. Cyndy meehan says:

I am so sorry for ur loss, he was way to young to pass, only two years older then my own son, no parent u have to lose there child I know the pain, I watch my mom go through it as we loss her daughter my sister at age 54 ,I wish I could take away yr pain ,God Bless U ,may ur son RIP, he’s at peace now, he’s with God

29. laura carr says:

rip nate

30. Cyndy meehan says:

I am so sorry for ur loss,he way to young ,I can’t imagine what u r going through, my prayers r sent to u And ur family,God Bless,May ur Beautiful son RIP Amen

31. rosemary says:

I remember him on OLTL and how talented he was. My heart goes out to his family and love ones, who were many.

Gone way too soon, but will not be forgotten.

32. I loved you on OLTL may you rest in peace! Thoughts and prayers to your family at this tragic time!

33. brenda stremmel says:

rip young man. u r better off in heaven if u could not live normal here on earth. god has given u wings to fly. prayers to his family and friends.