Arrow Stars Preview Ray Palmer's Big (Happy?) Return, 'Neurotic' Felicity

Damien Darhk is aiming big – or in this case teeny-tiny – by taking a miniaturized Ray Palmer captive in tonight’s Arrow (The CW, 8/7c).

“I think Damien has it out for everyone, to be honest,” Emily Bett Rickards says of the kidnapping. “He’s like, ‘Well, this is going to be my town, and I’m just going to kill anyone in my way.'”

As for Ray’s ex, Felicity finds herself thrown for a loop after getting the huge news that her former boyfriend and colleague is not so dead after all.

Especially in the wake of recent events (see: Lance, Sara), “There’s this idea that life isn’t exactly going to be everything that you thought you were given, and death isn’t exactly permanent anymore,” Rickards observes. “That is really hard to struggle with, but also just being forced to accept it is really hard. Felicity comes into that knowledge, the possibility of Ray being alive, and just runs with that because she doesn’t have any other choice.”

Arrow Season 4 SpoilersViewers in turn will see a “neurotic” side of the tech wiz as the need to figure out Ray’s specific situation overtakes her. “She’s still Felicity in a sense that she’s still kind of bubbly,” her portrayer shares, “but there’s this energy that I don’t think we’ve seen in her before that’s just super-focused and very wired.”

When Team Arrow does come to Ray’s rescue, they will be “shocked [and] intrigued” to “see him tiny,” Brandon Routh previews. But by then, “There’s not a lot of time to even discuss or give hugs. It’s just kind of like, ‘Oh hey, you’re alive. Let’s go! Now we need help.’ So I think everyone’s happy to have Ray back. I think.

Returning himself to full-size is hardly the end of Ray’s worries, however. He still has to deal with “what he comes back to, the state of his company, the state of his life, the city,” Routh says. “‘Did he have impact or did he not?’ is his journey. Processing all of that is all part of the shift of his being gone and coming back” — and perhaps moving on, since Tomorrow is another day.

1. Liz says:

I hope this story gives us the chance to learn more about Felicity this time, rather than season 3 which made the story all about Ray. I’m sick of Felicity being used as a prop. I want to know more about her. Couldn’t care less about Ray.

2. Smoak Arrow says:

Looking forward to some good Felicity Smoak time finally. Heard that the show creator, Greg Berlanti really enjoyed the Oliver/Felicity content in this ep too, so I’m looking forward to that. And Donna Smoak returning! This sounds like a fun episode. Can’t wait!

• Liz says:

GB liked the Olicity content? AWESOME. That’s great news. I’m loving how they’ve written Oliver and Felicity’s relationship this season and it seems like it’s building up into something even better. Can’t wait!

3. Kevin G says:

Happy to see any new sides of Felicity Smoak. I just hope she isn’t used to keep propping other characters. I even see Oliver propping ppl in the field as his own experiece isn’t being used. I think there are way to many masks now.
    Unfortunately someone like BLACK Canary just doesn’t fit and I don’t care about her story I am interested in Oliver and his 2 core ppl. Even Cap Lance helping Oliver and company without a mask is much better fit.

• Liz says:

I noticed that with Oliver too. Some scenes he barely fights while the others get their moments. I don’t like that trend, particularly as this is his show. They’re trying to make Thea and Laurel his equal and that doesn’t make any sense considering he has 8 years of experience on them. I hope they balance this out better in future episodes.

4. ClcMjd says:

I’m looking forward to seeing another side of Oliver & Felicity relationship as they deal with this new situation. Oliver’s relationship with Donna & Felicity’s reaction are bonus!

5. Can’t wait for more Felicity Smoak tonight. And to learn more about her and her past. Hope Donna Smoak’s return helps with that. Also looking forward to seeing some development in Felicity and Oliver’s relationship. Very excited for tonight!

6. Liz says:

Neurotic Felicity actually makes sense because she hates mysteries and needs them to be solved and Ray missing is a mystery. Yes for character consistency!

7. curtlyon19 says:

Good! Really like ‘Ray’ and wondered why he was voted off the show (so to speak)
    Perhaps they could even make Felicity and him a couple but not necessary, he is/was a great addition to the characters line up #brandonrouth

8. Brigid says:

Looking forward to Ray coming back. I love his character and really liked him with Felicity. Should be a good episode tonight.

9. tvjunkie says:

I’m confused, I thought neurotic was Felicity’s normal state. She certainly seems neurotic a lot. Not that it’s a bad thing, just that it’s normal for her.

10. MyFairLady says:

Can’t wait for Ray’s return

11. Anna says:

It is good we are going to a new side of Felicity. I think she feels guilty for ray being capture and is doing everything in her power to correct the mistake she thinks she made. So she is going to be determine. I also love mama smoak coming to town and the secret text messages between her and Oliver. I love olocity too. Tonight’s episode looks really good. Can’t wait to see it.

12. Joey Padron says:

Good preview of new episode. Excited to watch new episode tonight! Happy to have Ray back on the show!

13. Tobias says:

Also, Damien Darkh now has Felicity’s name. She is now a prime target. I think she’s in that grave which is a terrible idea. Actually, the grave thing is a terrible idea. But whatever, these guys obviously suck at writing a good storyline.