New Girl Season 5

Fox's Midseason Schedule: New Girl Returns, Brooklyn Nine-Nine on the Move, Bones, Last Man MIA and More

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is being reassigned.

Fox unveiled its midseason schedule on Tuesday, and the big news is that Nine-Nine — which currently airs on Sunday night — is moving back to its old Tuesday stomping ground. Beginning Jan. 5, Andy Samberg’s cop satire will air (appropriately enough) at 9/8c, where it will lead into Rob Lowe’s The Grinder, which shifts from 8:30 to 9:30.

With its old 9 pm perch now spoken for, New Girl will kick off its fifth season on Jan. 5 in its new Tuesdays-at-8 pm timeslot, leading into John Stamos’ Grandfathered (moving from 8 to 8:30). Scream Queens, BTW, wraps its first season on Dec. 8.

American Idol, meanwhile, kicks off its farewell season with a two-night, four-hour event that begins Wednesday, Jan. 6 and continues on Thursday, Jan. 7. Idol will then settle into its regular Thursday 8-10 pm timeslot the following week, bumping Sleepy Hollow to Fridays and Bones off the schedule entirely. (A return date for Bones is TBA.)

Beginning Sunday, Jan. 3, new live-action sitcom Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life takes over Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s 8:30 slot, while the animated comedy Bordertown replaces Last Man on Earth at 9:30.

Lastly, the Rob Kazinsky-led Second Chance (formerly known as Lookinglass, The Frankenstein Code and just Frankenstein) will premiere Wednesday, Jan. 13 at 9 pm.

All told, Fox’s midseason schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS.

SUNDAY, JAN. 3
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm COOPER BARRETT’S GUIDE TO SURVIVING LIFE (Series premiere)
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm BORDERTOWN (Series premiere)

MONDAY, JAN. 4
8 pm SUPERHUMAN (Two-hour special)

TUESDAY, JAN. 5
8 pm New Girl (Season premiere)
8:30 pm Grandfathered
9 pm Brooklyn Nine-Nine
9:30 pm The Grinder

WEDNESDAY, JAN. 6
8 pm American Idol (Two-hour season premiere, part 1)

THURSDAY, JAN. 7
8 pm American Idol (Two-hour season premiere, part 2)

FRIDAY, JAN. 8
8 pm Masterchef Junior (Two-hour winter premiere)

SUNDAY, JAN. 10
7:30 pm Bob’s Burgers (Winter premiere)

WEDNESDAY, JAN. 13
8 pm American Idol
9 pm SECOND CHANCE (Series premiere)

FRIDAY, JAN. 15
8 pm MasterChef Junior
9 pm Hell’s Kitchen (Season premiere)

SUNDAY, JAN. 24
10 pm THE X-FILES (Season premiere, part 1)

MONDAY, JAN. 25
8 pm THE X-FILES (Season premiere, part 2)
9 pm LUCIFER (Series premiere)

SUNDAY, JAN. 31
7 pm GREASE: LIVE

FRIDAY, FEB. 5
8 pm Sleepy Hollow (Spring premiere)
9 pm Hell’s Kitchen

MONDAY, FEB. 29
8 pm Gotham (Spring premiere)
9 pm Lucifer

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2
8 pm Rosewood (Spring premiere)
9 pm Second Chance

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 30
8 pm Rosewood
9 pm Empire (Spring premiere)

1. Jennifer says:

No Bones? Doesn’t bode well, does it?

2. Brenda says:

When will Bones be back? Is this Fox’s way of saying “good-bye” to a wonderful show?

• JenJ says:

I don’t think they’re cancelling Bones, it’s just that some clown at FOX has decided to split the season and make us wait for it to come back. Whichever idiot scheduled these changes for the likes of American Idol needs to go and do something with himself that I won’t say here because I’m such a nice person, and don’t talk like that.

3. KC says:

Not surprised about Bones – that show should have ended a long time ago.
    Too bad about Sleepy Hollow – it’s very good this season.
    New Girl is still a thing? Wow

• LILY says:

They’re not ending! They will just have a hiatus, probably just like last year. They were also off the air for 4 months, but then came back to air the rest of S10 AND got renewed for S11.

• Sandra Holl says:

I totally disagree with you BONES IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV!! and Sleepy hollow stinks !!!!!

• Bob Backus says:

Bones has to be the absolute worst show EVER! My daughter used to like it so we had to watch it, since she went to college both of us have stopped watching it. WHY? Because the female lead is so pathetic- incredibly pathetic. She’s a robot, not a human, and no that is not how you represent a person who’s socially repressed. And I know, I’m one of those, but so is Dr Isles on Rizzolli and Isles, and that show does a much better job of it. At least Dr Isles LEARNS. The idiot, moron Doctor on Bones never learns and is a complete moronic idiot. It is a really stupid show. I thank God I don’t have to watch the absolute crap that Bones is, any more. It’s a shame tho, david boreanz does a really good job, but she is absolute crap.

• Jake says:

Blame the writer’s, but Emily D. does share some responsibility. The writers find it an easy crutch to fall back on writing scenes making Bones appear clueless about cultural issues, even though that’s part of her field of study.

• kmw says:

All of you who have come here to bash a show you don’t watch or hate, fine we get it. For those of us who have watched Bones for a long time we do not believe Emily Deschanel is crap. Instead of whining about how Brennan’ characterization is most of her fault remember there is a network involved that has a big say on what the show does. Brennan’s cluelessness about cultural issues is not only, to some of us anyway, a funny trait, but that if you paid attention you would know why Brennan is the way she is. And Brennan is a forensic anthropologist she deals with bones not the human aspect of them. Also if you have seen Bones for a long time you would see the network or show runners at the beginning of season 4 started making her more uptight than she was. Just because Emily Deschanel is a producer doesn’t mean she made the changes to her character Also if you watched Bones you would see that Brennan learns things. If you don’t like Bones then you don’t have to watch nobody is making you. In my opinion FOX’S interference with Bones over the years has contributed it to being not as good as it could be

• Temperance says:

*winces* I have a hard time believing anyone actually said that.

• mewp12 says:

I love Sleepy Hollow.

• Kees says:

There is nothing wrong with Sleepy Hollow!! Likewise there is nothing wrong with Bones or Emily! To the one who said she & her daughter stopped watching ever think that it MAY be because you’re just a but to slow to get Bones no need to bash because of that! 🙄🙄 & to the ones who have an issue with Sleepy Hollow why don’t you just mind your business & go say how much it sucks somewhere else because it’s rude and uncalled for to bash a show you ‘refuse’ to watch I have shows like that too difference is I don’t waste my time ranting about a show I don’t even take the time to watch

• Billie says:

I agree. I love Bones and do not watch Sleepy Hollow, except when there was a cross over.

• NatesMama says:

Neither show was canceled. If you knew the scheduling as well as you appear, you would know that Bones goes on hiatus when AI premieres, and comes back when AI goes to one night.

Same for Sleepy Hollow.

4. Kris says:

I’m worried about Bones!! I don’t like it being left off the schedule!

5. M80 says:

Do we know how many episodes of Last Man on Earth FOX actually ordered for this season?

6. Maggie Harris says:

So what about Bones? I would much rather see Bones than American Idol any day. I don’t like this at all. Move something else off the schedule!! They always mess with Bones. I wish a different network would pick up Bones. One that would appreciate what a great show it is.

7. garryfish says:

When does Bones come back?

8. JenJ says:

Aww or petes sakes, why do they even bother with that piece of crap American Idol? Kicking Bones off the air, and moving Sleepy Hollow to Fridays? What, are they crazy? SH has just gotten back into the right mode again, and now FOX is screwing with the schedule. If ever a network wants to p off their fans, FOX is sure doing it!

9. Mindy says:

Are they just going to wait to see what tanks first and put Bones there?

10. Erika says:

Is this means that Fox is gonna canceled Bones and Last Man On Earth?

11. Katie T says:

How many episodes of Sleepy Hollow would be left to air when it comes back in Spring? Because if it’s something like 8 or 9 I could see them slotting Bones into it’s slot when it finishes. That or something tanks and they swap in Bones eg Second Chance. I mean they’ve already fiddled about with the name so much and decreased the number of episodes that there must be something iffy about it

12. LILY says:

Why no return date for Bones, FOX? What the hell are they doing now?!

13. A M B says:

So after the premiere the new X-Files episodes will air on Mondays at 8? That’s surprising.

Also surprising is seeing the new Tuesday line up. I wasn’t expecting Brooklyn 99 to be moved again, though It probably fits better with the live action shows.

14. heather says:

Fox haven’t decided their Thursday schedule yet outside of American Idol yet

That is all Bones fans, it will be back Thursday or another night depending on how the new shows tank

15. Elle Woods says:

Wtf?! Are they cancelling Bones? I know it’s not the most popular show but there still are alot of very loyal fans. If this is the last season can they at least give us an ending… Wow Fox is still dragging that dead horse American Idol and i can’t get a Bones Series finale.

• anon says:

Bones is just going on hiatus, like it did last season, it will be back prolly Feb or March, Fox haven’t figured it out yet, typical Fox.

Michael if you could contact Fox about this? instead of Fox having fans freakout & think the worst, please and thanks

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Last season BONES was on hiatus Dec. 11 to March 26.

• LILY says:

yeah, I don’t think it means anything bad for Bones, they’re doing okay. And last year they were also on a (damn) long hiatus, so they’re probably, sadly, sticking to that. Or they’re still figuring it out. :/

16. Et al. says:

X Files premieres at 10pm? Is that a first for fox?

17. Sarah says:

Where the freak is Bones?!

18. Gotham and Lucifer together. Excellent.

19. Alana says:

Why is Fox so awful to Bones EVERY YEAR?

20. Phillip says:

What about The Last Man on Earth?

21. RichCD says:

That is one dull and lifeless schedule. If they didn’t have The X-Files…yikes.

22. Annie says:

But how beautiful is it to see new X Files episodes on a tv schedule though?!

23. kmw says:

What on gods green earth is wrong with FOX. pushing Bones off ENTIRELY!!!. Unbelievable. Bones is getting a two hour ” fall finale” That better not be their series finale. What are they thinking. Sleepy is doing terribly and Bones gets shoved off!!!. Ridiculous. it better come back David and Emily and everyone their deserves better Wouldn’t put it past FOX to split this season and not have it come back till June. Just completely unbeilvable. Maybe one of their idiotic new pilots wont work out and they will put them on then. To even think they would ever try to treat Bones right. FOX deserves to be in last place

• Ella says:

The two hour fall finale is definitely NOT going to be the series finale, can people stop freaking out for no reason. They’re still shooting 22 episodes…FOX just hasn’t decided for sure where they’re going to air the remaining 12.

And actually it’s a good sign that they didn’t send it to fridays, they don’t want to burn off the episodes like they’re doing with SH.

• Jennifer says:

Everybody’s knocking Fridays lately. it’s not the death knoll it used to be. Look at Last Man Standing, Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods – they’ve been doing really well.

• heather says:

December is Bones Fall finale which is ep 10, they are already working on ep 13, its called “The Monster in the Closet”

I think its pretty obvious that Bones will be on hiatus until March again like last season, Fox just don’t want to give a firm date yet, cos its Fox and they change their mind like the wind, lol

• kmw says:

ok I didn’t know they were already working on more episodes. Bones did well on Friday after it was left there for awhile so they should move it back there. With or without Bones schedule change except for Tuesday night their moves are atrocious. Empire not coming back until March 30th!!!. For Idol!!! Horrible moves just horrible. I predict both dramas premiering will be gone and Bones will be back in Feburary.

• patti says:

I agree KMW !! You would think that after 10 and a half years and a show still has a loyal following the network would show some respect and stand behind that show!! FOX has not made it easy- always changing the day it was on ……viewers don’t know in advance when it is returning……they need to communicate better with their loyal viewers!

24. James D says:

glad B99 is back to its old spot, but Tuesdays can’t get anymore crowded jeez. looking forward to Lucifer as well.

25. Drew says:

That is actually a really strong Tuesday lineup. I never got why they moved Brooklyn Nine Nine to Sunday in the first place.

• ndixit says:

It did better on Sunday then on Tuesday. The move could potentially kill it given its surrounded by Grandfathered and The Grinder.

• Drew says:

Surrounding it by cartoons was just silly. When it was on Sunday, I would forget that it was even on, and I actually like the show. Sitcoms aren’t doing well in general these days. It’s best to put them in blocks together, so it’s not a half hour here and there, but a solid hour or two of programming that won’t leave people scrambling to find something else to watch at the half-hour point.

• herman1959 says:

Yup, I saw every episode (live) of Brooklyn Nine-Nine in season 1, I struggled to keep up via hulu in season 2, and I haven’t even seen it yet this season. I’m usually watching PBS on Sundays at 8 PM, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine is just not high on my catch-up list (and the same with The Grinder). Now I’ll be able to watch both shows after The Flash…I’m good. Now, about Sleepy Hollow being on Fridays, I hope it works.

26. Kate says:

Ugh, Brooklyn Nine Nine, I’m sorry you might be on demanded because I’m still trying to figure out what I do about Agents of Shield (or Agent Carter, I don’t know when they switch off), iZombie, and Teen Wolf which is moving to Tuesdays at nine for some reason. Based on my DVR priority knowledge, Teen Wolf and Agents of Shield win (though if Teen Wolf could act like any regular cable show and replay its episode in the middle of the night like you used to and I could miss the stupid hashtags, that would be super helpful). As Lucifer looks fun, I’m not aware of big conflicts there for me, I watch Scorpion but that is really it (DWTS sort of holds my attention). And, well, Sleepy Hollow, first I should be caught up by then, but maybe you will benefit from some people who hang out to watch Grimm on NBC an hour later.

27. Boiler says:

Get Bones back and dump Idol like a hot potato. Looking forward to New Girl coming back but sort of hoped it would ne paired up with 99 on Sunday. FOX is clueless

28. A. D. says:

That’ll do in Sleepy Hollow!

29. Diana says:

I am sure that Bones will return to the schedule soon. Hopefully the wait will not be a long one!

• Drew says:

Lucifer and Second Chance probably won’t last long (there are a whole lot of people who will not watch a show about friggin’ Lucifer. It’s just a bad idea). The X-Files isn’t even supposed to last long. I’m guessing that there will be plenty of room on the schedule before long.

• Joe says:

I saw the premiere episode. It was very good. Lucifer doesn’t play as a devil searching for souls. It is a drama yet a little fun and quirky. Give it a chance. You’ll probably like it. He drives a cool 60’s Corvette convertible.

30. tomus225 says:

Grrrrrrr no Bones!

31. David4 says:

Bones isn’t going anywhere unless the actors leave. Fox has treated the show like garbage moving it everywhere and the fans follow… I’m not sure why anymore.

32. bob price says:

Bones will end with Season 10!

33. Christina says:

Masterchief Jr. is all ready on Fridays. The first episode only an hr. long was last week.

34. Lindsey says:

Should Brooklyn Nine-Nine fans be worried?

35. jj says:

Just when Bones is getting back to normal, it is taken off the schedule. WTH.

36. Ames says:

Where is Bob’s Burgers??

37. Mary says:

So fox just killed Brooklyn 99 sad face. Someone call Hulu!

38. Mr. Tran K says:

Fox has no official word on whether or not this season’s Bones is going to be its last or go beyond a Season 12.

• kmw says:

If FOX wants Bones back they have to negotiate with the actors and last year it went down to the wire. I see no reason that will change this year. Fox is just idiotic. Why would they bring Rosewood back before Empire( I know they aren’t in same time slots but come on). Their moves on Tuesday seem alright and even Sleepy Hollow going to Friday wont hurt it as much as people think( can it get any worse where they are at right now? No) Really hoping Bones comes back sooner

39. DavidSask says:

Be honest world, who watches FOX? Children and adults on drugs with their cartoons, X File fans for 6 weeks bless them, and the going downhill fast Empire! The network like CW should just quit, you been around this long and can’t even sell 3 hours of prime-time yet?

• Temperance says:

Judging the ratings, plenty of people like FOX and CW. I have far more problems with NBC and CBS. I feel decrepit even tuning into CBS anymore.

• AnnieM says:

Okay, this got me thinking. For demographic purposes, hubby & I are 57 & 51, respectively. I looked at what broadcast programming we DVR and see that the CW wins our house with 6 shows. FOX & NBC get 2 each, ABC & CBS 1 each. The rest are all sat/cable programs. :;shrug:;

40. Bill says:

Is Jeff Zucker working at Fox now? This clusterf**k looks like something he’d dream up.

41. D Peters says:

One of the reasons to watch any other Fox shows – BONES! What the heck!!

42. Rafael says:

The final season of American Idol should have all past second chance non-winners like Clay Aiken, Kimberley Locke, Chris Daughtry, Jessica Sanchez and etc… But this time, Clay should win and Kimberley should be the runner-up in this upcoming series finale, without doubts.

43. Donna says:

I’m glad for the move to Friday night for Sleepy Hollow since I find nothing worthwhile to watch on Friday’s currently. Not a fan of the ABC or NBC comedy lineup.

44. Joey Padron says:

Hope Brooklyn does well going back to Tuesdays they did well on Sundays. Hope New Girl does well going against The Flash and NCIS. Sucks Last Man On Earth is a long hiatus until spring. Excited to see new shows Cooper Beckett and Lucifer!

45. SherryB says:

Bumping Bones completely and moving Sleepy Hollow?? For that stupid American Idol that should have been gone YEARS ago!!! And can’t even give a return date for Bones…Thats not sounding good at all..Bye-bye Bones??

46. Jennifer says:

For everyone who has been concerned in the comments below about Bones being pulled for mid-season replacement by AI, I think there’s no worries. I look at it this way. Maybe because Bones has done well on so many different nights, Fox can put it anywhere in the line-up because they know the fans and David will promote the show like nothing they have done in years! 😁

47. mewp12 says:

Big mistake.

48. Adrienne says:

This bulls hit is way I no longer watch tv. I’m invested in Bones, and that’s enough. I prefer to watch Hulu and catch up with programs much later.

49. Billie says:

So happy this the last year of American Idol. I hate that Bones goes on hiatus because AI comes on.

50. NJMark says:

“Second Chance” on Fox? I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers the Fox series called “Second Chance” – with Matthew Perry in the late 80s.