Post Mortems
Chicago Fire Season 4 Spoilers

Chicago Fire EP, Stars on 'Dawsey's' Post-Baby Future, New Coupling, Severide's Dilemma and More

“Dawsey” ‘shippers, there’s a rainbow behind that dark cloud that’s been hanging over the Chicago Fire lovebirds as of late.

While Dawson and Casey lost their baby, Tuesday’s episode made it clear that the couple is committed — even if it’s not in the family way. So rest assured, there will be no breaking up any time soon!

“It’s a bit of a reset for their relationship,” executive producer Matt Olmstead says. “They’re still a couple, and we have storylines coming up that are going to further galvanize them as a couple. But this isn’t the beginning of the end for them because of what happened. It brings them together more closely.”

Below, Olmstead and the cast preview the emotional road ahead for “Dawsey” and discuss the other big highlights – surprise smooches! firehouse conflicts! – from Tuesday’s episode.

LIVING WITH LOSS | Dawson and Casey will be dealing with the loss of their baby in different ways, Olmstead says. “One of her coping mechanisms is, ‘Thankfully, I have a job that I can put myself into,’ like a lot of people do,” he shares. “So [Casey is] hovering a little bit, letting her do her thing. He lets her go through her process and is there for her at the end.” Star Monica Raymund hopes that “Dawson might become a little more internal the way that Casey is,” the actress says. “I’m very curious to explore that side of her. Right now, she’s a very strong woman, very outspoken, very expressive. It might be interesting post-baby, [if she was] a little bit more subdued and a little bit of a darkness comes over her.” Adds leading man Jesse Spencer: With all that the couple have gone through recently, “we’re still leaning on each other. We haven’t got to the lighter stuff yet. Me, personally, I’m looking forward to it.”

A HOUSE ON FIRE | With Riddle having it out for Chief Boden and his crew, troubles will continue to plague 51’s finest in the weeks to come. “We still have a couple of episodes ahead of that conflict because Severide still hasn’t gotten his lieutenantship back,” Olmstead reveals. Meanwhile, the new captain Patterson “looks like he’s playing both sides of it a little bit. So we take it to its crescendo in a couple episodes. Hopefully, everything works out for those involved.” Until then, Severide is faced with a choice: “‘Do I play dirty to keep my job and potentially ascend? Or do I stay true to myself and potentially get knocked back?'” the EP describes. And Gabby won’t be taking Riddle’s attacks sitting down. “She’s going to go ahead and start investigating,” Raymund previews. “You know Gabby – she puts her nose where it’s not her business. She’s going to start trying to do what she thinks is best for the chief and the house because we are one, we are one Chicago, we are one family. So when one of us is down, that means all of us are down. She’s going to fight to the end to protect her family.”

Chicago Fire Season 4 SpoilersA NEW ROMANCE | After much flirtation, Chili and newbie candidate Jimmy locked lips – and will continue to do so. “I’m going to kiss him a lot,” Dora Madison says with a smile. “We’re like a couple of puppies. We’re always like [cuddling].” But given their different views on marriage – he’s for it, she’s not – are these two even the right fit for one another? “The fans won’t be disappointed,” Steven R. McQueen maintains. “What do they say – opposites attract.” However, “we’ll see how the job takes a toll” on the young lovers, co-star Kara Killmer shares. Adds Madison: “[We explore] what their differences are. I think Jimmy is a little more [square] than Chili is. Maybe she’ll make him more fun.”

Chicago Fire fans, stay tuned to TVLine for lots more Firehouse 51 scoop!

1. And Rachel Nichols is coming back for 2 more episodes down the line. Jamie is BACK!

• Coquette says:

First of all, I’m a HUGE Dick Wolf fan.
      So thrilled he chose Chicago as his next legacy city. This man is Brilliant!

The actress who plays Dawson is a natural beauty and projects a tremendous range of emotions. She is so gorgeous!!

Tonight Gabby & Casey lose their baby. So tremendously tragic and heartbroken.
      Yet her mascara doesn’t even run the slightest bit?? Seriously?

2. Jeff hunter says:

O.K. I just saw the Ep. and was a bit more impressed with it,McQueen still needs to be in more scenes(I counted ten),but its getting better as for the kiss,I’ll say this:if the TITANS Pilot gets off the ground,I think Steven has found his Starfire!jeff

3. Rae says:

i can’t help but think they’re mirroring jimmy/chili into a younger, more fun version of dawson/casey.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Why does everything have to be all about Gabby? I get it, she’s super woman, ugh. Sorry it’s just frustrating to see the rest of the cast ignored most of the time.

5. Cassie says:

I might be the only one but I’ll admit I find Chili extremely annoying.

6. Bwhit says:

Thanks for the interview! I knew something had to be coming after Chicago day which seemed like a great time. I’m hopeful for Dawson and Casey at this point, would a baby have been nice? Yeah, but I get why it didn’t happen, that kind of storyline happens when the show is coming to an end. I just hope they go forward as a strong couple who are a bright spot in the drama. I love the addition of Jimmy and could really care less who he pairs with, just keep him on as a strong candidate who most likely mirrors what Casey was like in his early days. At this point I don’t care how Severide regains squad as long as he’s in charge at the end…. Patterson and Riddle need to go! Love the Chicago franchise and that the theme always comes back to family.

7. Nancy says:

I love Casey and Dawson, so I hope for happier times for them. They’ve been through a lot, so it would be nice to see them happy. I am not liking Chili this year. Her acting bugs me. I do like Jimmy, so I hope they keep him around.

8. Jeri says:

I became a Chili fan when she was on Friday Night Lights. I found her annoying at first but she grew on me and I think she’ll do the same here. At first I didn’t get all the Gabby hating, I still like her but she does tend to always be down & angry, since Shay left anyway. I think the producers, et al wanted to get rid of Shay because of behind the scenes stuff but she was a favorite and I still miss her. Big Steven McQueen fan here, I hope he sticks around.

9. smartysenior says:

I’ve written before about how they shove too much Dawson down our throats. She isn’t that strong of an actress plus we really want more of the others on the cast, and far less of her. Is she related to the director or something? I just get so sick and tired of all her major story lines and now it looks like it’s going to get worse.

• Tesssa says:

Sorry but Dawson & Casey are just NOT believable as a couple, there is no chemistry at all between them. I see him with someone more believable, a sexy, beautiful woman. Dawson is just not that woman AT ALL!

10. Im surprised. CF has gotten more cliched as time goes on . I just cant stay with it. Its getting into shonda rimes territory.

11. mike says:

McQueen has been a great addition to the show.

12. liame says:

I love Gabby, she’s wonderful, smart, beautiful and one strong woman.

• Hamida says:

Thank you! It’s nice to read a positive thing abt Gabby for a change. I’m so tired of people hating on Gabby and I agree 100%

13. Hamida says:

I don’t see anyone complaining about actors being too exposed? Why is it always so easy to criticize women? “They’re annoying so we should kill them off” It’s great to see women playing interesting roles, I say more of that, they’re already under represented. I love the show & I love that Gabby is an important part of the show & that Monica gets to represent female firefighters, she’s brilliant. It’s just sad that people don’t see that aspect.

14. Annie says:

Dawson and Casey have never been a convincing couple and why they didn’t kill off Dawson, instead of Shea, is beyond belief! Let’s get beyond the Casey and Dawson “romance” and move onto some decent stories (with better acting)!

15. Tesssa says:

It is also time for Patterson to go. I think I speak for most people when I say that everyone is sick of him and the STORYLINE of him and Riddle. Severide should just kick his ass already, the “I love myself” fool that he is and get on with a new storyline, I actually hate watching the show knowing he is on it every week and CF is one of my fav shows, so please end this soon….

16. EWood says:

Given from most comments below, I think we might agree that the writers are so off base when it comes to certain characters. Last night’s episode with the new renter next door to Boden’s place was so out in left field that it even went out in space, and not in a good way. Boden does things always on the up and up and is somewhat of stiff, I like him that way. But really he is going to break open a door for a potential renter that he doesn’t even know if she is legit or not. Sorry but that was so wrong from so many stand points. It would have been more believable if he had let her into his place to call for assistance, and trustingly leave her at his place because he thought his wife would be there soon. These writers need to take a creativity class because they are every now and then copying other storylines from other shows.

17. Deborah says:

This storyline with chief Boden is wearing me out. It is taking too long to solve. I want the Detective to get his butt whipping; Riddle to get his butt whipping and move on to Patterson getting his. Boden’s deal needs to be over…. It is taking too long. If it doesn’t end soon, I’m done with the show