Post Mortems
Awkward Finale

Awkward EPs Preview Jenna/Matty's Post-Finale Future, Possible Season 6

Can we talk about the final seven words of Monday’s Awkward finale?

Just when it seemed like Jenna and Matty had finally reached their unreachable happily-ever-after — she drove him up to college and they decided to remain a couple — Jenna wrapped the hour-long episode with this fan-displeasing bombshell: “Of course, that’s not quite what happened.”

Naturally, we had to direct our thoughts and fears at showrunners Mike Chessler and Chris Alberghini, both of whom were willing to lend a sympathetic ear.

“What we’re exploring [in Season 5B] is what I think happens to any couple in high school,” Chessler tells TVLine. “They’ll have to start negotiating how to sustain a relationship once you’re going to different colleges.”

As for how Jenna plans to return home, considering she drove up with Matty and left her car in his driveway? That’s a no-brainer.

“She’s going to take Amtrak or get a really cheap Southwest flight,” Chessler explains. Adds Alberghini, “And then she’s going to take an Uber and go back to Matty’s house to get her car, which she left in Matty’s driveway, much to Matty’s mother’s chagrin. … Matty’s mother is pissed.”

Below, get more of Alberghini and Chessler’s thoughts on the Season 5A finale, what’s ahead in Season 5B and whether or not a sixth season could be in the cards.

TVLINE | Val’s big speech to Jenna felt final. Have we seen the last of her?
ALBERGHINI
| You never know when Val is going to pop up, so I wouldn’t want to say one way or the other. Jenna has been a very special person to Val. She was Val’s student, but Val also thought of herself as Jenna’s close friend. Now, her close friend is going out into the big wide world, and I think it’s hard for Val to let go. She wanted to give as much random advice to Jenna as she possibly good.

Tamara and JakeTVLINE | We also need to discuss Jake and Tamara’s almost-kiss. Will their lingering feelings be explored in 5B?
ALBERGHINI | They’ve had a very up-and-down relationship, but no matter what, they have a very deep connection. I think we saw in the finale that they obviously have feelings for another. Whether they’ll act on those feelings or not, we’ll have to wait and see.

TVLINE | I was glad Sadie reunited with Sergio, but was surprised things ended that badly with Darlene. Any hope for that mother-daughter relationship?
CHESSLER | I don’t think a mother-daughter relationship is ever fully closed, as long as both parties or living. And even then, there’s all kinds of psychological scarring. I think, for now, the story is closed, and what I like about that is that there’s some real truth to all of it: Sadie realized her mother is who she is and Sadie has to navigate that. She’s not going to change her mother. So the question is: Does Sadie choose to have a relationship with this person knowing what her limitations are?

TVLINE | As we head into the show’s final half-season, what are your thoughts on Matty and Jenna? How has that philosophy changed from when you came on board in Season 4?
CHESSLER | We’re hopeful that 5B is not going to be the end of the show. That’s not been determined yet, one way or the other. But 5B would be the end of this chapter of the story, because if we continue the show, I think it would be another era and another part of the journey. In terms of the Matty/Jenna story, it was very clear to us when we took over the show what it was about, and … we’ve ended up in a place that’s very organic, based on who these characters are. The reason people relate to Jenna and Matty’s romantic arc is because it’s so true to high school relationships.
ALBERGHINI | Also, [it was about] navigating being in a relationship with someone who is not always easy to be with. Both Jenna and Matty would say that about each other. They’ve been together and they’ve been apart, they’ve hurt each other and they’ve comforted each other. But no matter what, as the series progressed, their understanding of each other only became deeper. Whether they’re going to be together in life remains to be seen, but as long as the series continues, they will always have a deepening connection.

Awkward fans, your take on the big finale? Hopes for 5B? Thoughts on a potential Season 6? Grade the episode below, then drop all your thoughts in a comment.

1. Lauren says:

I think they should keep Jenna & Matty together! Twist it in a way where it shows that their love for each other can make it through anything. That’s a true “high school sweetheart” story. Absolutely love this show, hope they continue it many more seasons to come.

2. Steven says:

I used to love this show but it’s become such a chore to watch. Please just wrap it up.

• Stef says:

I agree, I liked it at first but the show has become so stale. I’m actually annoyed that this isn’t the end. I’m not sure if I’m still interested enough to watch the new episodes when they come out.

• sarah t says:

I agree. I actually thought last night’s episode was the series finale. It just seemed like a logical place to wrap up. Especially since they graduated/had prom, etc. And this season has seemed to ddrraaggg on. The writing doesn’t seem quite as sharp or it could be they’ve just exhausted every possible story line. Plus, I’ve noticed that several in the group don’t really look like they’re in high school anymore (which I realize that’s in large part because they get older people to play these parts but still). I was really hoping last night was the end. Not sure if i’ll stick around for the next part. Yes, I want Jenna and Matty together but it seems like they’ve jumped the shark a bit.

• domo says:

PLEASE MAKE A SEASON SIX, JENNAXMATTY FOREVER!!!! I love this show it’s true to life

• goth says:

shame because the show had so much potential. it was funny and relatable until 3rd season. it jumped the shark very quick. i really don’t care if jenna and matty are together or not just watching so i can finally finish this pathetic show. please end it.

3. Cameran says:

Absolutely love the show, I’ve been watching it since I was a sophomore in high school it is probably the best show ever, it relates to me (and mostly anyone higher schooler) so much I honestly I don’t know what I’m gonna do if it ends, please PLEASE keep it going

4. Justina says:

I LOVE MATTY MCKIBBEN!!!!!!

5. Anto Antony says:

make a season 6 wit jus matty and jenna , this show is too hot im sure there will be a season 6

6. Ram510 says:

Thank the Lord there’s a possibility for a season 6!!!!!!! I would like to see some of the time in college, I think there’s a lot of material there. 1 more season would be great

7. This show has surprisingly been one of the shows I watch consistently, but I think those last seven words in tonight’s episode really sets up a nice end game for the series.

8. Sam says:

I’m not sure how I feel about the show going on past 5B. I’m super excited for that part of the season, don’t get me wrong. I love the show. But I kind of like that Awkward was a high school show. Ironically I started watching the summer after I graduated, but I’ve stuck with it. And 5B as the summer in between is definitely still in that realm of high school life. It’s different of course, but still within the same stage of life.
    I think continuing the show into college would be awesome, but they would need to drastically spice up the show. Unfortunately they decided to send Jenna to the other side of the country and put Matty in Berkeley which is a lot closer. It would have been better to switch it I think.
    They will need to figure out how to still have some of the same characters (of course they would need to cut some and add some new ones)
    I’m imagining a sort of Saved by the Bell – The College Years, type of situation. They should make the continuation of the show a spin off. That way Awkward is left as its own thing and whatever happens next is its thing. But I still want more stories and more from these characters.

9. Maggy says:

Love, love, love Jenna and Matty! One of the best couples in TV Land since Rachel and Ross! The show MUST go on… but with Matty & Jenna TOGETHER FOREVER!!!

10. lisa says:

I think Jenna and matty should stay together, even though they have been through so much they are a perfect couple. I definitely think they should make a season 6 obviously using the same characters and actors these guys are brilliant and unreplaceable! Season 6 is a must!

11. Azerty says:

I love(d) this show but it needs to end. To be honest it lost itself because of Jenna always going back to Matty. This season’s episode with Jenna’s ex was on point it was always the same story: Jenna decides to stop thinking about boys, she met a new guy, fell for him and then realises she prefers Matty, they get back together, break up and Jenna decide to stop thinking about boys, and so on. They need to wrap up with something original but not necesseraly an happy ending.

12. dennis says:

totally love the show been watching it since high school till now when am in college and i have to give it to you i was like atthe back of my brain its over but well you prived that there is more hope it continues like the series HOW I MET YOU MOTHER TILL SN8

13. Bri says:

It would be interesting to finally find a show that can transition from high school to college and show a functioning relationship for Matty and jenna. I know Jenna’s mom is still expecting and I feel as if Matty and Jenna’s love is strong enough to last. I hope they don’t turn the ending into some huge disappointment because what would have been the point to the show?

14. Winifred says:

I think they should continue the show by having Jenna get pregnant like her mom did and then she and Mattie have a successful marriage with lots of ups and downs. Why not?

• Jana says:

Why would you wish teenage pregnancy on someone – even if they’re fictional? How about we have them focus on graduating from college first?

• Traci Marie Mosher says:

I have actually been waiting for her to get Oregon with Matty baby because I just been having this gut feeling but awww it be cute if they did I loved when they babysat together too cute!!!!

15. lindsey says:

People can relate to the relationship between jenna and matty. Wait all that time for them to get together for it to me in one episode and at the end kinda sucks. I’m upset on how it ended. Ends like that then it’s going to skip so far ahead. I hope it’s not the end of the show or their relationship, they’ve come way to far. They need to leave Maddy and jenna together and happy and concentrate on another couple.

16. Renee says:

We so need season 6! I want Awkward to be like how it was in season one & two, with Jenna and Matty. 😍 This show is what makes my Monday’s pretty great. Keep this show!!

17. rogueplanetboss says:

I’d never tell anyone who knows my real name that I actually like this show, but I can’t look away. I actually think the characters have a significant amount of depth and complexity compared to most other shows and films about high school. I’ve really grown to like Sadie’s character and I really want to see her win at life. “The Julies” are an amusing concept as are Cole and Theo. Tamara’s slanguage cracks me the hell up, and I’m in my 30s. I guess I just sorta bought every marketing hook possible, but oh well. The Matty and Jenna thing is exhausting, and it would make me really sad if the story played out that one of them breaks the other one’s heart by finding someone new in college. But that’s probably how it will go. I need to get a life. Hahaha.

18. Ashley says:

I think they should make a season 6 about how they are handling college. Matty and Jenna belong together. There could always be a spinoff about the two.

19. San26 says:

Ow for the love of God, put a nice end for Matty & Jenna !
    Although I was a fan of Jakenna, the storyline proved Jenna and Matty are almost soul mates.
    My uncle met his wife when he was 14, so what ? They’re still 2gether nowadays, 30 YL, and have 2 beautiful children.
    C’mon show writers, you can make this work. We really, really don’t want an end for matty and jenna.
    I won’t watch the 6th season without matty in it.

Maybe you could make them split for the time of college but finally reunit and make their life 2gether !

I don’t care about Jakara, you can make THEM split, they are good material for showing what happends in the end for the majority of high school loves. But let Matty and jenny be the minority that sticks 2gether like my uncle and aunt, or like jenna’s parents. Let them be the new Nick and Lace !

20. awkwardonceandforall says:

I wish the original creator didn’t give us that season 3 finale where Jenna chooses herself, because that’s what she needs to do in the real end of the show. Matty is great, and maybe alluding to them ending up together is better than actually having them together when she needs to just do her. Also bring MING back!

21. Chody says:

I love love love akward a girl taking you through high schools crazy socially akward moments and love the couples in the show if I can’t see Jenna and Matty together through college and Tamara and Jake hook back up I’m gonna cry in my pillow forever till it happens

22. edith says:

LOVE this show !!
    And hoping for a season 6!!
    Would love to see Jenna and Matty get married eventually!! Can relate a lot to this show…

23. Jackie says:

I absolutely love Awkward! I also love Jenna and Matty together, I really hope they stay that way. Please make sure there is another season! I look forward to it every week!!

24. Kait says:

Keep it going, love this show!

25. Paige Mitchell says:

I have watched every episode of awkward every season. HUGE fan. I think the finale was amazing but I was not happy with the “to be continued” because at the end of the day Matty and Jenna love eachother and they have this crazy unreal chemistry and I’m sick of them both (especially Jenna) trying to cheat themselves out of the happiness of being with eachother because they wanna be “mature” I literally cry almost every episode all the seasons have been fantastic but its time for them to choose each other for good, all I want to see is the same matty,Jenna,Jake,Tamara,Sadie,and Lisa but on a whole new rollercoaster.Same people, new chapter.

26. Paige Mitchell says:

If the show ends I’m gonna be in a #showhole I love it!! Keep it going let’s see where life takes them

27. Katelyn smith says:

They need to have a season 6 without it I’m stuck thinking about what will happen and I hate that and it’s my favorite show so they have to bring it back!!!!

28. Nelson says:

I enjoy the show as much as anyone but keeping the couple together post High School is not in line with the “realness” the show depicts. I don’t know one High School couple that “made it”. Seeing them stay friends and begin their adult lives would be cause for a Season 6. Can anyone say, “10 years later”?

• Brittany says:

I don’t agree… Me and my fiancé have been together for seven years now and started dating when I was a freshman in high school…. So I think it would be great to see a season 6. With them still together

29. Letty says:

I absolutely enjoy watching this show. It is the only show I actually keep watching.

30. Brittany says:

Keep this show on LOVE IT!!!!! I have been watching it since the very beginning… I do agree some parts have to drag. But that’s every show I think at the storyline is very good and it would be very interesting to see if the Writers can be creative enough to keep it going through college

31. Ali Beers says:

I NEED a season 6!

32. Hadaya says:

Please bring back awkward I really want to see what happens to everyone. I can’t wait till another month or two I really want to see what happens. Please please please please bring back awkward!!

33. brittany says:

I heard about this show because some chick I followed on Twitter had been watching it and tweeted about it…. she only watched the first few seasons as well as a lot of people I know, I had only watched it because I was interested in the drama with Jenna and the hype about everything. I don’t even really like the first season of this show and wouldn’t even re-watch it. BUT, I have actually managed to like it more and more as the years went on because of how much older Jenna is and how much more “mature” she’s getting. I also think the not-so distant age difference between her and I now is partly why I like the later seasons. ANYWAY I thought season 5 was the finale season of this show and was kind of upset, I had heard rumors the show wasn’t going to follow them to college… I would really like to see this show have a 6th season… I think that I’m looking forward to it more than PLL (that says a lot). on a more positive note, I really love how the show progressed and hope it doesn’t end on this season.

34. brittney pace says:

Honestly i love this show there should be a season six

35. Laith says:

I love this show i’ve been watching it sense i was a highschooler and it helped me through my years so it mean alot to me i also love the charechters my fav are tamara and sadie+lessa so plz make more seasons my life depends on it :'(

36. Arianna says:

Really hope they come out with a season 6 soon. Ive been dying to watch the show. I get so into it. The part of the show that interests me the most is Jenna and Mattys relationship. I want to see where life takes them together. Because we all know they are meant to be😚

37. Annie T says:

I love this show so much and I am glad Jenna and Matty ended up together in this season finale! I hope the show continues and despite Jenna’s last words, I really hope her and Matty make it through all the mystery of what is yet to come. Nobody knows what will happen in a relationship and that is the beauty of this truly realistic show. Jenna and Matty have always been up and down when it comes to their relationship, but now they seem all in. This is what I and we as fans have been waiting for. Love should no matter what, conquer all.

38. Sean says:

There is a simple (albeit annoying) way to end it, have Matty go off to college without Jenna, let her have maybe 6 episodes focused on the Summer (a lot has to happen there, saying goodbye to Tamara/Jake/Sadie is a big one along with her moms pregnancy, maybe do something with her dad who I personally feel is underused) before she goes to college, have 4 episodes in college (standard awkward episodes, maybe bring back someone from earlier to act as a friend to her- I don’t recall them saying where Clark was going.) Before Jenna heads home after a call from her dad in the second last episode. (Here comes the annoying part) After her sister is born and home let her talk about how much changes to her mom and how nothing stays the same, she opens the door to leave the house to get away from godmother Val (admit it, you smiled at that :p) who announces her own pregnancy, have a black screen come up with four years later written on it and have the same scene slightly edited to show the time (toddlers instead of baby’s, Jenna dressed more mature etc.) With Jenna leaving the house to go meet Tamara, she opens the door and starts walking while texting, then she bumps into Matty (full on bumps into him and nearly falls) they both look at each other and say hello, the familiar black screen and pink font comes up but it says the end. (Or they all lived happily ever after depending on your preference :p )

39. Try Fanactic says:

I love this show keep the seasons going please I’m looking forward to it don’t let me down

40. lis says:

I have watched this show from day one and I hate how it leaves u hanging, but yet it makes u think what’s gonna happen on each episodes. I love this show a season. 6 would be awesome and even more seasons. Love Jenna and matty. They make this show the best. I think Jenna and mattypod should always stay together in this show no matter what. I wish the episodes were a hour long tho.

41. Leah A says:

Really hoping for another season

42. Please make this show a Season:6!

43. Cassie says:

Please make a season 6 I love this show so much and at times this shows helps me in real life with some of the lessons!!! I don’t know what I would do if this show were to exactly end…

44. Isabella says:

Make more awaward

45. Kelly says:

Please make a season 6.

46. Anna says:

Really hoping for a season six! I’ve been watching this show for years, absolutely L O V E it! I really want to know the outcome of Jenna and Matty’s relationship and Tamara’s situation. This show is way to good to stop now!

47. Jen says:

Please continue to make this show for many more seasons. It such a disappointment when you have a good storyline, relatable characters and it ends too soon. Please keep it going as long as you can. This is one show that traps people across all demographics.

48. Cathy says:

Please keep the show going its one of the best shows on MTV right next to Catfish ! Ive watched it since day one and fell in love with most of the characters especially Matty !! This show makes me have so many feels!!!

49. Emorie says:

I love awkward i wish it didnt have 2 end

50. anonymous says:

Awkward is one of the most funniest best and most drama filled show i love it,im obsessed with it so much i think they should make a season 6 about jennas mom having the baby and how are jenna and matty.I dont know what i wouldve did with out awkward it made me realize things when i get in high school and how to stand out and dont care what nobody thinks and always be yourself and make high school the most memorable moments and just have fun.And thats absolutely love awkward.i wanna thank the director and the cast and crew and to the rest of the people who helped with this production