Vampire Diaries Jo Spoilers

Vampire Diaries' Jodi Lyn O'Keefe on Jo's Twisted Revival: 'My Jaw Dropped'

Thursday’s Vampire Diaries formally reunited Alaric with (the body of) the love of his life, and it turns out her portrayer was just as surprised by Jo’s revival as most of the CW drama’s fans.

“I got the call telling me I was on hold for such-and-such a date to go back, and my jaw dropped,” Jodi Lyn O’Keefe tells TVLine. “I was like, ‘I’m not the only one to stay dead on this show? Yes!'”

Below, O’Keefe discusses playing dead during her first day back on set, her new approach to portraying Jo (but also not Jo) and what we can expect from her character’s journey of self-discovery.

Vampire Diaries JoTVLINE | Let’s start with that first episode in the morgue. What are your fond memories of filming those scenes?
It was really hard not to laugh, especially when Ian [Somerhalder] was around, because he and I had a couple of really funny moments when I was dead. I was on that slab for a couple of days, so it felt like I was dead forever. There was a lot going on while I was lying there with my eyes closed, and the first thing I did was come in and ask everybody, “You guys got your words memorized? I got mine.”

TVLINE | Jo’s only been dead for a few episodes, yet so much has changed in that time. What are your thoughts on all these new developments?
Everything’s a lot darker, which I love. It seems a lot more intense, and I’m loving the trips through time — the flash-forwards and flashbacks. It’s really interesting to see what’s happening to these people as they’re all sort of unraveling. I love the direction they’ve taken the show.

TVLINE | And how has your approach to playing Jo changed, now that she’s… not really Jo?
Really, I just went with the amnesia. Regardless of who or what this is inside Jo, she doesn’t know anything. So it’s a clean slate at the moment, which is really kind of nice, because you get to discover who she is as you go along.

TVLINE | Do you even refer to her as Jo? Caroline Dries called her ‘Faux Jo’ the other day, and I like that.
[Laughs] I really like that, too. I’ve been calling her many things, but Faux Jo’s been one of them.

TVLINE | At any point, did they tell you who’s inside Jo?
Yes, finally. They like to hold information from us. Everything’s on a need-to-know basis, but I do now know who’s in her body. … That sounds bananas, by the way. What a statement.

Vampire Diaries JoTVLINE | And how did you feel when you found out Alaric has twins in the future?
I was so excited, I can’t even tell you. I met [the twins] with Matt Davis last year and they really do look like us, so I was like, “Oh, God, this is the greatest thing ever.”

TVLINE | Generally speaking, what can we expect from Jo in the coming weeks?
Self-discovery, and a lot of it. She’ll be figuring out who she is and where she came from and what’s happening. It’s like a baby being born.

TVD fans, what are your thoughts on Jo’s return? Any theories about who/what might be inside her? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Shaun says:

Was a cool reveal.Alaric handled it nicely.

2. spindae2 says:

She played an extraordinary Faux Jo last night. U really could see the slight difderences in posture and the way she talked, the way she looked at Alaric etc etc.

3. Uttara says:

I think it’s either Katherine or lexy😉

• Bob Wood says:

Its neither, the two characters are gone for good they were sucked into the dark abyss.

• TJ says:

She remembers being stabbed in the heart so it is someone who was staked or had her heart yaked out of her chest. Wracking my brain to think of who it may be. Jenna maybe?

• Noel Snow says:

I am rewatching the series on Netflix. Jenna was stabbed in the heart. She was a vampire when she died. Maybe the souls who end up in the stones are vampires killed by originals or in rituals. It would also make sense how Alaric would end up married to Jo 2.0.

• rarefied says:

I don’t think it’s Katherine. They seem to be retconning the importance of her and the other doppelgangers away.

4. jrex says:

Maybe its his first wife?

5. Pedro says:

I miss season 1 – most of 4 when people died, stayed dead and there were stakes.

Now death means nothing.

6. dlt74 says:

Did anyone catch it when Enzo said something about “a bunch of malarkey?” Haha

7. Lilly Vanilly says:

Maybe it’s Jenna? :)

• Bob Wood says:

Come on please people, maybe its Jenna, or Katherine, or Mrs. Lockwood or whatever that is all foolish, NONE of those characters are returning.

• Sammy says:

Mrs lockwood was drowned.
        Cant be jenna because she moved on. She never went to the other side amd his first wife well they never talked about her after she died.

Its def someone completely new… like a differnt person. I like that they r going this route in that they arent introducing a new actor. Tv recycling. Death does mean something.

Oscar is dead.
        Jo is dead and gone. Ric got another person.

Death has meaning sort offf….

8. Bob Wood says:

Hey Andy Swift who wrote the article, when you did the interview how come you did not ask when or if the real Jo will come back?

9. A says:

I thought it was going to be Julian. That could’ve been kind of interesting.

10. Brad says:

Blindspot meets TVD. LOL.

11. Nora says:

Okay, am I the only one who saw that she said the twins really looked like her and Matt? That not only confirms that they are her and Alarics but also confirms that she will have them. I’m not complaining or anything because I really love Jodi but many interviews done by the casts have many slip-ups. I think everybody on TVD should realize that what they say will be posted and read.

12. Joe Velicky says:

We know it’s not Jo in there and we know whoever IS in her was stabbed. Katherine! We also know from internet spoilers that a female vampire hunter(who is a vampire herself) makes her debut in episode 12. I put to you that THIS is the hunter three yrs. from now. Too bad about no Bonnie/Damon hook up. I wanted That. Love when two people who hated each other come to love each other. Sick of hearing about Elena. Would rather have Stefan become the bad boy and Damon/Bonnie be the “good” couple regardless of what they do! Caroline is a dead plot line and should be killed off–by mean Stefan?!

13. Kay says:

I’m glad she’s back. I like the actress that plays Jo so I’m happy she gets to come back and play someone else.

14. Lorna says:

Love Jodi. Glad she is back. Not huge on the heretics but I really like this season. Finally I am excited to watch again.