How to Get Away With Murder Recap: Does That Make Him Crazy? Possibly.

Amid Emily Sinclair’s blood splatter, Oliver’s spilled milk (not a euphemism), Bonnie’s declaration of hatred and Asher’s rap video, no doubt your head is spinning like Linda Blair in The Exorcist (albeit with immeasurably more style, sophistication and glamour) thanks to this week’s installment of How to Get Away With Murder.

That said, with so much OMG-WTF-GRRRRL,NAW plot to digest — and not spew around the room — you’d be forgiven for momentarily forgetting the two most essential words uttered over the course of the 60-minute roller coaster ride: “It’s him.”

OK, sure, we know Annalise is talking about Wes to her lover-confidante-partner-in-snacking Eve… but what does she mean by him? Long-lost son she gave up for adoption? (Wayyy too easy.) Long-lost nephew her sister gave up for adoption? (Hmmm… maybe.) Son of some long-lost suicidal client she’d made a death-bed promise to protect? (I’m probably overthinking this.) That young piece of Grade A law-student beef she’s been eyeing for two whole semesters? (Sorry… I can’t let go of the sexual tension percolating in every Annalise-Wes interaction, no matter how sick that makes me.)

Before I fall down a rabbit hole of theories sure to be disproven by creator/showrunner Pete Nowalk (look for our post mortem Q&A on TVLine around lunchtime on Friday), let’s break down the 10 most shocking developments from “I Want You to Die” (most of which happens just FOUR DAYS prior to “Shooting Night”):

Laurel gets props
“Go back to the office and stop being needy”

10. Annalise orders potato skins and mozzarella sticks at a dive bar with Eve. “What the hell?” she asks, smiling — smiling, people. Maybe she should take her “Sam money” and run off to Paris with her lesbian lover, no?

9. “You’re messin with the wrong bitch,” says Annalise, threatening Sinclair. To which her dumb-dumb rival puffs up her chest and asks, “Is that a threat?” (She tried it!) “I guess you’ll see,” smiles Annalise. Probably not significant, but damn fun!

8. Annalise gets her students to assail the character of Mother Teresa and bring her up on murder charges. It’s possible that sweet nun did kind of have an “inflated sense of self-worth,” right?

7. Eve clears Nate of “murdering” Nia. (There’s a lot we could go into here, but dude really didn’t deserve to wind up in jail for carrying out his wife’s wishes. Also, his adult-level talk with his romantic rival was truly, madly, adorably mature.)

6. There are divisions in the Keating Four on “Shooting Night.” In fact, the flash-forward shows Connor and Michaela fleeing the Hapstall mansion (Connor grousing, “We know better this time!”) while Laurel and Wes ponder how to use the latter’s gun to influence their actions. (Whoa!)

5. Bonnie doesn’t buy Asher’s excuses for the gang rape at Trotter Lake. “She works so hard to be OK and you get to go on being you… oblivious and the fun guy!” she rages, not buying her erstwhile lover’s defense of drunken youth. He counters in typically boneheaded fashion that “I understand why this is your thing” — and then she knows that Annalise has shared her history of childhood sexual abuse with the man she loves.

4. Bonnie confronts Annalise, hissing “I was the card you traded” (to guarantee Asher’s silence). But Annalise fights back that she truly loves her left-hand woman — and if not, she can go back to the fancy apartment where she’d been “rolling around in bed with a 25-year-old boy” (ouch… way to dis her romance with Mr. Millstone!) “I want you to die,” Bonnie concludes, unswayed. “That’s what I want. That it was you killed in this house, not Sam. Because he’d have never done this to me.”

3. When Eve confronts Annalise that with her theory that she’s framed Nate and is protecting Wes in Sam’s murder case, La Keating doesn’t deny it. He’s more than just some student, Annalise counters, “It’s him.” Suddenly, it’s clear these two women hold a secret that maybe no one else on the show knows — and Eve softens noticeably. “You’re a very good person.” Ummmm… let’s not get carried away, but still, here’s hoping this is a Burning Question that gets answered by the end of Season 2, yes? (My bet is that Wes is not Annalise’s blood relation — but rather the son of a friend or client who was killed doing Annalise’s legal bidding.)

2. Oliver becomes more deeply embroiled in the goings-on of the Keating firm, continuing with Frank’s request to trace the online life of Helena Hapstall’s biological son Philip — without Connor’s knowledge. “She’s so much nicer than you said!” Oliver coos, after meeting Annalise, and we know he’s the sweetest, most guileless guy you could imagine — and that he should take Connor’s advice, pack his belongings and head back to the America’s Next Top Supporting Characters house immediately. Instead, as Connor goes on a fake online “date” to collect Philip’s DNA, Philip (who’s been monitoring Oliver via secret video on his laptop) sneaks into the tech whiz’s apartment. and asks the most benign/terrifying question ever: “Hi, Oliver. How’s your night going?”

1. In the final seconds of the episode, as Michaela and Connor flee the Hapstall mansion on Shooting Night, they’re startled by Sinclair hitting the pavement with a splat as dramatic as Lexi Featherston’s in Sex and the City! They look up — past Laurel and Wes — and who do they see but… Bonnie??? I’ll never believe Bonnie killed both Rebecca and Emily… so forgive me for waiting til the fall finale in two weeks to declare her guilty. Until then, it’s your turn!

What did you think of this week’s HTGAWM? What is Annalise’s connection to Wes? And will Oliver be kidnapped — or actually die? Sound off below!

1. Cornelius says:

This show gets crazier and crazier each episode and I am loving it. I hope they play the mother & son card with Annalise and Wes cause it’s a great storyline but it is just so obvious and with this show you never know.

• Amber says:

I had the exact same thought! My boyfriend suggested maybe Wes was her foster kid or some sort of relationship like that, but not directly blood related.

2. xx says:

“Annalise gets her students to assail the character of Mother Teresa and bring her up on murder charges. It’s possible that sweet nun did kind of have an “inflated sense of self-worth,” right?”

Her facilities- even after the Nobel and gobs of donations- routinely undersupplied painkillers because she thought suffering brought people closer to god. Not sweet.

Also, I think “will Connor be kidnapped” should be “Oliver.”

3. Anna says:

I know tons of characters are going to keep dying throughout the run of this show, but not my Ollie! I couldn’t take it! Please let that be the way too obvious route and let there be a twist that allows Oliver to live. PLEASE.

Also, Bonnie is really wracking up the body count there…

4. Angela says:

Pleeeeeeeeeeease don’t let anything bad happen to Oliver! Damn. First I gotta worry about Jenny on “Sleepy Hollow” and now Oliver? Why must TV writers be so mean?
    Wes with a gun, following after Michaela and Connor, scares me. A lot. Like, what the hell is going on there? And even as I knew the dropping body was that of Sinclair’s, I still gasped anyway at seeing her actually falling to the ground. Michaela’s reaction to that was pretty much the same one I would’ve had.
    Bonnie telling Annalise off was all sorts of, “Ooooooooooh.” And honestly, I think she has every right to be angry. I know why Annalise did what she did with that, and I’ve no doubt she does care about Bonnie in her own incredibly twisted way, but still…that’s such a personal, dark, horrific thing. If I were in Bonnie’s shoes I wouldn’t exactly want that sort of video being paraded around, either. As for seeing her on the balcony that night, I could see her pushing Sinclair off accidentally. Like, Sinclair comes at her, and Bonnie defends herself and fights back, and whoops, Sinclair slips and falls to her death. But of course, considering Bonnie has a murder under her belt already, she’ll be suspected of murdering her, too, and so begins THAT little cover-up. That’s my working theory right now, anyway.
    And while we’re on the subject of the flash forward events, since Wes has a gun, I don’t know if HE would be the one who shoots Annalise, but I’d be willing to bet that particular gun will wind up being what takes her down. Still working out who might pull the trigger there. And speaking of Wes, while I would not put it past the writers to actually make him her son, easy as that answer would be, I do like the idea of her taking him in after some horrible event or something.
    Finally, I am rather relieved that Asher didn’t actually participate in the horrors at Trotter Lake, but I am glad that Bonnie did call him out for his inaction all the same. And on that note, kudos to the show for having the actor do that message at the end, with the phone number. Good move. Also, on a lighter note, let’s never have Asher rap again, mmkay? Thanks.
    I cannot WAIT to see how that night with the shooting goes down. Oh, my god, it’s going to be nuts, isn’t it?

• Lisa says:

I’m almost wondering if Bonnie didn’t kill Sinclair. Rather, I’m wondering if she pushed Sinclair’s already dead body over the balcony to cover up what really happened to her.

• Angela says:

Ooh. There’s an idea. I like that theory, too. I could see that.

• Lucie says:

What could have happened to her that pushing her off a balcony would cover up? A head trauma, maybe, but only if her head hits the pavement in exactly the same place.

• Jasmine says:

^THIS!!! I totally agree and I found it weird that SInclair wouldn’t scream as she fell to her death. I definitely think she was already dead as well.

5. MLM says:

IF OLIVER DIES I SWEAR TO GOD

6. laurelnev says:

I’ve been saying for WEEKS that there’s something MORE to Ana and Wes. But after tonight, I think being his Mom is too obvious. I’m kind of leaning towards Bonnie, especially after Ana’s speech tonight. We know Bonnie was sexually abused…and probably a lot more than that. Who’s to say there wasn’t a baby along the way, and that baby was a part of Ana “rescuing” Bonnie years ago. That certainly was a teen-aged daughter type performance Bonnie gave tonight! And watching over someone ELSE’S secret baby makes you a “good person;” that comment is more appropriate for a situation in which you selflessly helped another. Either way, I’m glad they’re finally addressing this bizarre Ana-Wes relationship, and I can’t WAIT to find out the gory details!

7. AlBSure says:

I have to say…this show just gets better and better. This season is much more intense and twisted than the first. Wow! And please don’t hurt Oli.

8. Cameron says:

Here’s my theory: Asher killed Sinclair. With Bonnie standing where the body fell, I need not explain myself. I think either Connor or Catherine killed Annalise. Catherine would be a great curveball, sincer we still have no explanation as to why Frank knocked her out and carried her into the woods. Connor because he said a few episodes ago “You did this to yourself.” Running away makes him look mighty suspicious.

9. The show is shot too much in the dark. This is annoying and it’s starting to make me think I’m not a fan as much as I used to be.

10. Kendra says:

Very nice post. I certainly love this website.
    Keep it up!

11. jm says:

I have a “not nice” feeling of Buffy´s “seeing Red”, when Tara dies… with Ollie in this chapter. Once he become part of the group, he is killing off… that will make Connor very very upset… On the other hand, i got that feeling that Philip likes Oliver… so who knows… he maybe fall in love with him… and we have a sequel of Almodovar´s “Tip me up, tip me down”.
    Ms Shonda love to kill off sweet characters, so Oliver may be next

12. dan says:

That may have been my favorite episode of the season. The plot moved forward, they didn’t ignore the past, and even the “case of the week” was interesting (without interrupting the main storyline). Wes isn’t Anna’s son, but he is somebody from Anna’s past. I like the theory upthread that he is Bonnie’s son. I’m worried about Oliver and I love Connor’s concern every time Ollie tries to get more involved in the investigation. I watched the end sequence twice because it was well done and I thought Mikayla’s reaction was spot on! I also think Liza Weil has done great work these past few episodes; she stands toe-to-toe with Viola Davis without missing a beat. Even Matt McGorry has raised his level a few notches with this storyline.

13. Win says:

Though last week plus an Ask Ausiello/Q&A with the showrunner gave us a heads-up that Oliver wouldn’t be on the safe list after finding the long-lost child online, I hope the Oliver situation is “only” a kidnapping (with no additional abuse), because I kind of need there to be a better person around.

Connor’s already in a tailspin from last season’s events, so while the drama of this happening will likely bring incredible moments, I’d be okay just seeing him/the actor surprise and pleasure us (and/or other characters) in great ways. I love all of these flawed characters, but I really love Oliver and his skills. I was glad to see Annalise thank him in a sweet, straightforward way.

14. Clandestine Green says:

Seems like they might be making Bonnie out to be a serial killer and Wes’ mother. I hope they don’t use this as an opportunity to write Liza Weil off the show…I have to know more about Annalise and Bonnie’s history!

15. Michelle says:

Mother and son…Sam is father. Born while they were still in affair mode. Maybe Sam never knew. She has kept tabs on him. Very soapy…to learn that this woman you now despise is your mother AND you killed your birth father.

16. FYI: The correct forensic term is blood “spatter” not blood splatter. You’re welcome. :)

17. Why didn’t we find out anything more about Catherine Hapstall from the end of the previous episode?

18. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Ok, I’m still trying to wrap my head around this damn ep. This is F-in crazy…….so did Bonnie kill that bitch Sinclair? My theory is Bonnie shot Annalise and maybe Asher kills Sinclair Bonnie sees the body and toss’ out. I think Wes is Annalise’ son I mean they’re making it seem so obvious now!

19. robandco says:

It’s like they never heard of the sophomore slump. The show is on fire. The season had a rocky start but wow, those past couple of episodes have been gold. It’s like the best thing on network TV right now. I love those last scenes that have everyone gasping at the end. I hope they wait before they start killing regulars because the cast is really great. That scene between Bonnie and Annalise was so good.

Also my opinion: I agree, Wes is not Annalise son, it’s waaaaaay to obvious for the show.

20. ChicagoDan says:

“Bye Felicia!!” I mean “Bye Oliver!” Good riddance – the character, not the actor, who I think has been an unexpected find. His character and his superpower to hack into anything, basically rendered Connor benign and that’s a shame.

That Liza Weil and his portrayal of Bonnie has been nothing but amazing. How did they waste so during S1??? (I get it the story was very different.) It’s been mesmerizing watching her reveal Bonnie in some many different ways. And many lesser actors would have made that role an OTT mess. Strangely, Bonnie and Frank are the characters I’m rooting for, with Laurel close behind.

21. Rudolph says:

Wouldn’t the “It’s Him”-moment be refering to that conversation between Jean Lezb and Annalise when she says she is defending the person who killed Sam? If it’s about it, there’s no new secret (yet). But I’m still hoping (and I suppose everyone does) for a deeper relationship between Wes and Annalise, ever since her own mother teased her about it when she saw the way La Keating looked at him.

• herman1959 says:

Annalise confirmed to Eve that Wes is the person she has been protecting because he killed Sam – Eve guessed and Annalise didn’t deny it – so it is now an established fact. As an answer to Eve’s questioning why Annalise is protecting Sam’s kille,r Annalise explained that it’s because it’s HIM. Therefore, there is a new secret.

22. Zac says:

“look for our post mortem Q&A on TVLine around lunchtime on Friday” still looking for that…

23. Yasin says:

Where is the post mortem?!

24. Juanita says:

Sinclair was definitely dead before she was tossed from the balcony. There was no scream as she fell. The body just dropped from the sky. Although I do wonder how Bonnie would have enough strength to drag Sinclair to the balcony and heave her over the edge. My prime suspect for Sinclair’s murder is Asher. Sinclair destroyed everything he had with Bonnie as well as the somewhat relationship he had with his father. Plus, if Asher is the culprit, it would explain his guilt when he left the car while Bonnie was washing off the blood in the bathroom. He went to the police station to make a statement that he killed Sinclair.

25. Lucie says:

I can’t believe that Wes is Ana’s son and he isn’t Bonnie’s either. Even Ana isn’t so cruel as to put a child she may have had as a result of abuse right under her nose.

26. Lucie says:

Something I haven’t seen mentioned. Did Ana give the pills to Nate or not?

27. bfazio says:

I’m thinking that Sinclair shot Annalise, then attempted to flee the scene of the crime. Bonnie & Asher were in the room & chased her upstairs and she ended up going over the balcony. Explains the blood splatter on Bonnie (from the gunshot) that she’s trying to hide.

Also, Eve’s comment about Annalise being a “good person” has to mean she’s looking out for Wes, who is the kid of someone who’s done wrong by her… my guess is Sam’s from an early affair, possibly leading to his mothers suicide because the father of her child was a married man.

28. Jessica says:

Could Wes be Sam’s son?

29. Adam says:

My first thought was that Annalise had something to do with Wes’ parents (his father was out of the picture early on, and his mother killed herself), so maybe she was the reason for one or both of these things happening, or Annalise is related to one of the two parents.

30. chester says:

Best show ever… If I was Annelize I would’ve taken the ‘sam money’ and left. My heart would never carry all that drama. The autopsy of Sinclair will show she was run over by a car, so I wanna see how they get out of that in season 3… As for ”its him”, I think they drove Wes’ mother to suicide. And out of guilt Annelize always looked out for him,