Riverdale Casting News CW

Riverdale: Meet The CW's Buff Archie, Scandal-ized Veronica and the Rest

This is not quite your grandma’s Archie comics come-to-life.

The casting breakdowns for The CW’s Riverdale, which currently is a script in development and promises a live-action, modern-day take on the iconic comic book characters (in a town where “secrets, intrigue and scandal abound”), reveal greater muscle mass for our carrot-topped group leader, a stressed-out Betty, scandal-stricken Veronica and new adversity for Jughead to overcome.

Prolific TV producer Greg Berlanti is among the project’s executive producers, while Archie Comics’ chief creative officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is penning the pilot.

Here now, the specific breakdowns for the Core Four:

ARCHIE ANDREWS | A high school sophomore, the redhead is still boyishly handsome but “pumped and looking good after working construction for his dad during the summer.” Archie is grappling with heavy issues and juggling the interest of several girls while discovering his passion for writing and performing music against his father and his football coach’s better wishes. Oh, and he’s harboring more than one dark, terrible secret.

BETTY COOPER | The blonde and pretty sophomore is described as having “some self-esteem issues and affinity for Adderall.” Eager-to-please, wholesome and studious, Betty has a super-crush on her longtime best bud, Archie. But tired of being the “perfect” everything, she turns to her new friend, Veronica, for life advice. Betty has an emotionally brittle mom, a goth-like sister and a coveted spot on the cheerleading squad — though with certain conditions….

VERONICA LODGE | Producers are aiming to ideally cast a Latina as this “silver-tongued” stunner, who has just returned to Riverdale from New York following a scandal which resulted in her father going to prison. Extremely intelligent, self-confident and immediately popular, Veronica is eager to reinvent herself — from Mean Girl to caring friend.

JUGHEAD JONES | A hearing-impaired actor is being sought to play Jughead as an “emo-heartthrob.” The lanky lad is Archie’s former best friend, seeing as the two still are smarting from a rift that took place between them. Angry, but with a philosophical bent, Jughead “refuses to take the olive branch being proffered by Archie, the hurt goes that deep.”

What do you think about The CW’s take on the red-headed classic? Sound off below!

1. iHeart says:

uh okay so how are they going to describe Reggie, Moose, or to an even lesser extent big ethel? seriously it sounds like the CW is trying to go back to their old ways, but on the other hand I am somewhat curious about that…..hey isn’t that the bassist from Josie and the Pussycats in there?

• Murl says:

That would be really cool!! I’d love to see Josie join in…..and maybe even Sabrina the teenage witch since she was an archie property too.

• Stacy says:

It’s doubtful I’ll watch. They’re trying too hard to make it a teen soap, and removing all the charm that created Archie fans in the first place. They should have aimed to make Riverdale a lighthearted Sunnydale. It can be a quirky, slightly magical town where nothing is taken too seriously. I don’t need a version of the Archie comics where Riverdale has a seedy underbelly.
        Focus on teen friendships, with random visits Josie & the Pussycats and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Cheryl Blossom as the occasional visiting mean girl vs established mean girl Veronica.

• Tom says:

Amen. Who didn’t read Archie and watch the original Saturday morning cartoon show wanting nothing more than a good laugh? I don’t need “deep-seated anger”, “terrible dark secrets” and PC nonsense. Maybe you should produce the show.

• Stacy says:

Sorry! It’s late. I was trying to post a new reply, not ramble on yours. :|

• Kayla says:

That’s Valerie, Valerie dates Archie when she’s in town in the comics. Yes Josie & The Pussycats will be in the show, Josie and Melody will just recur tho.

2. But will Jughead rap?

3. Betty having a drug addiction gives “Sugar, Sugar” a whole different meaning…

4. nick says:

Sounds a lot like 90210, Betty and Veronica = Kelly and Brenda.

5. Steven says:

A hearing-impaired emo-heartthrob. What?

6. Tom says:

Archie comics signed off on this?

7. matty says:

Does anybody know if Kevin Keller will be featured in this show? It would seem odd if the CW didn’t include the gay character on this show.

• jc says:

I remember reading a while ago that he was going to be one of the main character but its odd he wasn’t included here.

• FromTheAshes says:

I’m kind of wondering if this whole casting call isn’t even legitimate. Are they really casting “pumped and looking good after working construction for his dad during the summer” for Archie?? What the what?? Part of Archie’s charm is that he’s NOT a muscled jock like some of his peers. And his participation in construction work would probably not result in exercise, it would result in injury…

• Stacy says:

Agreed, not to mention that he’s supposed to be about 15 years old. 15 year old boy muscle differs from grown man muscle, and I wouldn’t define it as “pumped”.

• Kayla says:

He’s literally featured in the picture, he’s the blonde, yes he’s main character. That picture was specifically created as a promo art for the Riverdale TV show.

8. Cory says:

I seem to remember when FOX announced this there was a small supernatural twist, is that still the case?

• FromTheAshes says:

The original premise was to have a show based on Afterlife With Archie, which was exploding in popularity as soon as it debuted, and closely-timed with that initial TV Series news. From what I’ve seen in letter columns, that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. But I did see something somewhere about them wanting to do “Halloween Specials” each October, to have one feature Afterlife With Archie, Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina, etc, for a glimpse into the Horror Worlds of Archie once each year. I just hope they can do the show proper justice in the first place, but having the horror books included somehow would be cool; and we all know the Treehouse of Horror on the Simpsons is one of the best examples of a Halloween Takeover of the premise of a TV show year after year.

• Kayla says:

Yes that is still the case, just Google this, cause people are giving out wrong information.

9. Chris says:

Kinda lost me with live action. I know they take forever to make, but I would like to see more serious cartoons in prime time.

10. Julia says:

I’m oddly excited about this. I loved Archie comics as a kid, so I’ll be curious to see how this works out.

11. Wendy says:

Josh Castille as Jughead!!!!!

Maybe Cameron Monaghan as Archie? Or Andy Mientus (he’s been vocal about a desire to go red headed)

12. kirads09 says:

Wonder if they will have a Sabrina (The Teenage Witch)- wasn’t she originally Archie’s cousin?

13. chuckiechk says:

I don’t know a lot about the archie comics, but is the descriptions close to their comic book counterparts?

14. Wanda says:

It’s reads as though they are remaking Gossip Girl.

15. Jlkajdflkadj says:

A hearing impaired actor? Why is no one talking about this…

16. kirads09 says:

I know he isn’t hearing impaired but DJ Qualls would be astounding as Jughead

17. paco says:

6 weeks and out. Sounds bad.

18. KJohnson says:

So essentially using the character names from the comics and not much else? Why not just make an original show??

19. AngelWasHere says:

Hmm I like Archie, but I’m going have to skip this. It’s not my cup of tea.

20. BB says:

I think they should develop this as a half hour animated drama along with a half hour version of the CW Seed show Vixen and launch them both after The Flash.

21. A says:

Charlie or Max Carver for Archie?

22. Ram510 says:

I don’t know about this. It could be decent but I thought CW was trying to get away from the teen dramas and trying to grow up. This would be a step back from that goal

• Vince says:

I think it’s because Mon/Thu slot needs to stay female skewing. Pedowitz was firm on balance between male and female skewing shows.

• florianques says:

While I see what you probably mean Ram510, if they were to produce something along the lines of the WB era or early CW programs, this could be good. A teen drama isn’t necessarily “not growing up”. And it would really be a breath of fresh air with all these superhero dramas and crossovers. Nor Arrow or The Flash screams maturity to me by the way, but I get why it works.

• notanothersuperheroshow says:

“And it would really be a breath of fresh air with all these superhero dramas and crossovers”

THANK YOU. Even at 22, as I’m growing up and my tastes are changing, I’m still down for a good teenage drama. However, the only teen dramas left on tv these days are either too immature, or just plain awful (Degrassi falls into both those categories). And other than Degrassi, are there even any plain old teen dramas LEFT on the air? Finding Carter on MTV was pretty good, but that got cancelled. Maybe teen dramas just appeal more to me because I like the character focus, not cases and guest stars and random plot twists every week.

23. Josh says:

24. Asia says:

Man, this sounds awful.

25. just nutha' ig'rant cracker says:

Wow! Berlanti just keeps jumpin’ that shark, eh?

26. Sean says:

I don’t know. Real life. Maybe an updated strip, you know like Simpsons. If you are doing it with live people, it won’t be the same.

27. Jaime says:

This sounds really really weird but can Nyle from ANTM play Jughead?

28. Win says:

How did I miss the fact that this was getting made? :(

29. Miffy says:

Heheh – who cares about the Archie comics anymore. What’s next, a TV series based on Bazooka Joe?

30. Mika02 says:

I am sorry Jughead would never stop talking to Archie ever. Is Josie in it because I see no description.

31. Bob says:

NO just NO, lost all in this comic when they made him choose the air-head, this is a new level of bad.

32. i will see f its interesting

33. Scott21 says:

So basically it will be Riverdale High School 90210?

34. pamela says:

what?! archie is a gossip girl reboot, say what?!

35. Kayla says:

Google is your friend b/c people are giving you wrong info.

That promo art was specifically created to promote the Riverdale TV show, any character in the art is a main character.

The promo art shows Valerie, Jughead, Betty, Archie, Veronica, Kevin, Cheryl, and Reggie.

This was originally at Fox, and since Fox wanted something different than Glee, a supernatural element was added, enventually this moved to the CW, supernatural element stayed.

This show is being pitched as a Dawson’s Creek meets Twin’s Peak, and is inspired by a lot of John Hughes work, as well as The Perks Being a Wallflower.

Will Sabrina be a character? Right now they only have plans for Sabrina to appear in Halloween episodes.

Is Josie & The Pussycats there? Yes they will be in the show, but unlike Valerie who is main character, Josie and Melody will recur.

Why is Valerie a main and not Josie? Because in the comics Valerie dates Archie occasionally, her family moved to Riverdale, her brother likes Betty, and she’s part of The Archies rival band aka J&TP so she has a more personal connection with Archie (and Betty) than her bandmates do.

WIll Moose, Midge and the rest be there? Yes, they will recur.

• Skyler says:

Thanks for this. I’m happy you mentioned Moose and Midge, was wondering why they weren’t included with Jughead, Archie and co. I prefer the old comics though and wish they’d just stick to that. I don’t know why people feel the need to always reboot comics/shows/movies. Don’t get me started on the reboot of Fantastic Four. I couldn’t even bring myself to watch it. SMH!

36. Wahidr96 says:

Daniel Durant (Switched at Birth, Spring Awakening) as Jughead. He already has emo rock n roll vibe from Spring Awakening

37. Tim says:

Riverdale…. Let’s see how much we can screw this up…

38. nhogan47 says:

Instead of this, they should be doing a live action version of “Archie’s Weird Mysteries”

39. Rusty says:

Talk about a political correct show! They have a Latina playing an air head WASP? An Emo heart throb with a disability playing the lovable but ditsy Jughead? I haven’t read an Archie comic in 45 years. If this representative of the new comic book WOW! I am glad I still have memories of the original comics. This sounds like a very bad idea. But of course they will make it to play to the Tweeners.

40. rinaex says:

Is this supposed to be a black comedy? Because otherwise…what?

41. CJ says:

In a word, “No”.

42. Larry A Chase says:

It should work out the way they want it

43. Katie says:

I love Archie comics and still regularly buy (and read) them. I’m still curious enough to check out this show, but these aren’t the characters I know and love…

44. Larry A Chase says:

I hope it’s worth watching and I hope its good.

45. david Jackson says:

is there going to a gay Character. Archie comics was kind of ground breaking with that but there doesn’t seem to be any gay characters in Greg Berlanti’s Flash, Legends or Arrow worlds

46. Ballantine says:

I don’t like the sound of this at all, why do they feel the need to stray from the source material so much? The Archie comic reboot was very well done – they were able to modernise it but still stay true to the characters. It sounds like the characters will be almost unrecognizable in the TV series :'(

47. Abby says:

Hey ! What about Reggie Mantle ?!!
    I am not gonna watch any Archie series which has no Reggie in it.

48. tsevca says:

Why most of the high school shows start during sophmore year?

49. Jeremy Olson says:

HAHA oh my….this sounds so incredibly horrible.