Supergirl Ratings

Ratings: Supergirl Flies 30% Lower Without Big Bang Lead-In

CBS’ Supergirl in Week 2 drew 8.9 million total viewers and a 2.2 demo rating (per finals), slipping 32 and 29 percent from its well-watched, high-rated launch, which led out of a fresh Big Bang Theory episode.

Big Bang this fall had averaged 15.8 mil and a 4.1 opening CBS’ Monday line-up, while Life in Pieces averaged 9 mil/2.1 at 8:30.

TVLine readers gave Supergirl Episode 2 an average grade of “B+,” matching its premiere results.

Continuing CBS’ night, another ridiculous yet entertaining (yet ridiculous) episode of Scorpion (9.5 mil/1.9) was steady, while NCIS: LA (8.4 mil/1.3) matched last episode’s season high.

Elsewhere…

FOX | Going head-to-head with Kara Zor-El, Gotham (4.3 mil/1.6) wast steady in audience and up a tenth in the demo. Minority Report (1.8 mil/0.6) was flat.

NBC | The Voice (12.1 mil/3.3) and Blindspot (8 mil/2.2) each ticked up, with the latter tying Supergirl as the night’s No. 1 drama.

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (12.1 mil/1.9) rose a tenth. That Castle-bumping CMA special did 5 mil/0.8.

THE CW | Crazy Ex (950K/0.3) and Jane (1.1 mil/0.4) both drew their largest audiences of the (young) season while inching up in the demo.

1. Dean says:

Expected for supergirl CBS dramas for always tend to rate lower than their comedies. Still its a win for CBS the only other show that ranks in the 2 range is mothership NCIS.

2. Bill says:

Ouch for SuperGirl that sucks

• Jose Kuervo says:

Bill says: Ouch for SuperGirl that sucks

How does it suck? 8 million is still double the viewers Arrow, Flash or AOS get

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You certainly cannot compare the audience for a CBS show to CW shows.

• That’s what I was gonna say. Ha ha!! I do love Arrow and The Flash and AOS is getting better this season. You can’t compare a CW show to a major network show though.

• Jose Kuervo says:

But I can compare it to Fox and ABC, Supergirl is still making double the numbers Gotham and AOS make. And as much as I love AOS, that show was terrible for 15 long episodes, until it paid off.

• Honestly, you can’t. You can compare CW, WB and FOX shows against each other. The only reason you can compare FOX with the major networks is because of EMPIRE. if you want to compare GOTHAM to shows on the 3 major networks, you might not like what comes back at you.

• Jeri says:

Love the CW. iZombie and Jane the Virgin for a couple of them. Also like Supergirl & Wednesday ABC comedies.

• SHIELD actually started out with even better ratings at a 4.6. 101 had 12 million total and 102 had 8 million. The worst season 1 got was 1.8 and that was the first episode after the winter break, with the other remaining episodes ranging between 1.9 and 2.1. Most of the ratings falloff was in season 2, which started at 2.1 and ended at its worst 1.3. I have a feeling Supergirl would be lucky to produce similar numbers.

• rinaex says:

Yes, when Supergirl came in at lower numbers than AoS did, I was expecting a steep drop this week. The only way to avoid that is to have better writing than it has displayed so far.

3. aunni says:

for supergirl its “Drip drop, drip drippity drop” till episode 23/24

4. Matt….
    With the exception of Empire. what is considered “normal” decline from a premiere in the first few episodes?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Dunno, not a “numbers” guy. But this isn’t normal, this is extranormal, in that Supergirl flew solo without an undeniably helpful lead-in (Big Bang last week drew 16+ million). Week —-> Week 3 might be more relevant to your Q.

5. Boiler says:

Nice for Scorpion. And some of the appeal of Scorpion is being ridiculous, or maybe far out. Interesting, although it doesn’t count for much, there are a few CBS shows with more viewers than Supergirl including the much maligned MME. Secretary and Scorpion. But good for Supergirl as if it can hang in there helps Scorpion

6. justin says:

I like the show

7. Ellinas1978 says:

And the drop will probably continue until it normalizes.

8. Erika says:

2.1. ratings for Supergirl is bad.It will get canceled when Supergirl drops low than 2.0.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Without a doubt. If they wait that long.

• Ann says:

Big Bang Theory is the number 1 comedy, so a better indicator for Monday nights is to compare it to 2 Broke Girls and whatever show follows it. How does Supergirl’s ratings compare to the regular Monday night CBS lineup during that same timeslot?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

See my second sentence above re: what CBS had been averaging in the 8 o’clock hour this autumn. (I spent a lot of time mathing that one.)

• Ann says:

Yes, but how is Supergirl doing compared to CBS’s regular Monday night line-up…the one with 2 Broke Girls and whatever comes after. Big Bang is the number one show on tv, it will always do well whether it be on Mondays or it’s regular Thursday timeslot. I looked up the ratings for 2 Broke Girls and MIke and Molly, which aired after it in May. Two Broke Girls had a 1.7 in key demographics and 6.43 million viewers (Live +SD). Mike and Molly had a 1.6 with 6.79 million (Live +SD). Supergirl is doing better than what CBS usually has on a regularly scheduled Monday night. Supergirl is also beating Fox and ABC in the key demos in the same timeslot.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sounds good.

• JC1 says:

Lol. Love the sarcasm. :)

• Jose Kuervo says:

question… why would it be dropped when it has double the viewers Arrow, Flash, AOS or Gotham get? Is it because is on CBS so it gets more scrutiny?

• herman1959 says:

Isn’t it a little soon for such dire predictions?

9. Boiler says:

Since CBS partly owns the CW why don’t they move lower rated but more popular CBS shows to the CW. It is pretty obvious CW people don’t have a clue

10. DavidJ says:

Well I’m sure CBS fully expected the numbers to drop without Big Bang there. The question is just how much lower will they allow the show to go.

The good news though is the second episode was even stronger than the first, so hopefully that will make people want to stick around.

• dan says:

Every recap and review I’ve read of the second episode said it was as good if not better than the pilot. I suspect CBS is going to give this show some time before making any rash decisions. Good buzz, younger viewers, and competitive numbers for a Monday night. CBS is probably cautiously happy (for now).

11. What comes first on the schedule, Supergirl or Scorpion?

12. I hope more people find Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane The Virgin. Everything else on the night isn’t nearly as distinctive or entertaining.

• Jake says:

I find Jane The Virgin grinding on my nerves BORING! It is funny, but something that I could miss a couple of episodes, catch one and still know what is going on. I watched both Supergirl and Scorpion last night. Enjoyed both..However, I am not super hypercritical of a television shows, I use them more as an escape. Also, I am not so quick to drop a show right after the pilot. The cast and crew have to get used to working with each other, etc. I think Supergirl will be great if people give it the time of day it deserves and don’t complain about every little detail like they seem do with everything else.

• Ummm, everyone watches TV as an escape unless they’re watching the news. Also, you cannot be hypercritical of anything without a laundry list of valid complaints as opposed to nitpicks. Usually reserved for the Star Wars prequels and M. Night Shlamamallong. I’m still watching Supergirl and while I like Melissa Benoist, a hot girl with a supportive family AND super powers should not have confidence issues. I’m really getting tired of her constantly seeking validation from the worst people in her life. Where does that even come from? Is this okay? Can I go fight crime? Am I good enough? I’m so bad at stopping oil spills. I should just give up and be sad. Also, why is James so immediately supportive of her? They literally just met.

• B McKee says:

Let’s see where that confidence issue comes from. She was essentially abandoned by her only living blood relative, She was dropped off with a family who was “supportive” but were determined that she should be “normal,” in other words not use her powers. For most of her teenage years her “adoptive” sister was encouraging her to be normal, to the point where she is angry when Kara actually does use her super powers. Her boss belittles her. The head of the DEO disparages her abilities because she is not “HIM” (“HIM” being that sole surviving blood relative that Kara knows about). Oh and nobody, not her adoptive family and especially not her only surviving blood relative, has ever actually told her how to use her super powers. As to why James is supportive of her, remember that he is “Superman’s Pal” (as they used to say on the cover of his comic book) and believes in her now that she’s chosen to be a hero, probably more so than her cousin. And at that she’s still in a better situation than the original comic book version of Supergirl was.

• She was entrusted to watch over her cousin (+10 confidence), her parents chose to save her (+10), Superman thought her handle of her powers was enough that he doesn’t even need to see her very often (+5), she has to work to make her hair look non-red carpety and wears glasses to fit in even though she never superheroed before and never had a logical reason to do that (+15), both of her male friends are clearly attracted to her (+20), close family that doesn’t necessarily need to encourage jeopardizing her identity just like the Kents (+10), college education (+10), she has freaking super powers (+30), she didn’t even know about kryptonite (+10). I could go on, but my arbitrary points add up to 110. Having a mean boss that isn’t all that mean and a mean alien task force guy she just met and doesn’t really care about doesn’t really cancel everything else out. Finally, CHARACTER MOMENTS MUST BE EARNED. It doesn’t matter that he believes in her ability, you don’t get to say, “I know you, I believe in you,” after saying maybe six total sentences to her, half of which was based on lies. Bart Simpson can get away with doing that with Lisa because that episode was deep into that show’s run, plus she’s his sister.

• rinaex says:

Understanding where it comes from doesn’t make it any less annoying to watch.

• Ann says:

I love both those shows. My Monday nights are…watch Supergirl live, then watch my recordings of Crazy Ex Girlfriend and then Jane the Virgin.

• Simon Jester says:

I have really fallen hard for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I don’t know if it’s the title or the musical numbers that is putting people off, but it’s the wittiest, most original show that people aren’t watching. I urge everyone to at least give it a try.

13. I haven’t watched Supergirl yet, its still waiting on my DVR. Watching all the commercials for it, I don’t have high hopes. It looks kinda dumb to me. I don’t think it will hold a candle to Gotham, Arrow or The Flash.

• Lonmon says:

It is saccharine with a touch of bland imo.

• Ha ha ha, good one. Really can’t wait to watch it now. LOL

• Jake says:

It’s only the second episode, what did you expect..Geez!

• rinaex says:

Shows don’t have as much time to prove themselves. AoS had the bland problem for a lot of their first season, and they’ve never recovered from that ratings-wise. Usually when viewers give up, they don’t come back. Luckily, the math works for ABC/Disney to keep it on the air despite its current demo.

I can easily see Supergirl down in the 1.3-1.5 range by spring. This is fantastic if it was on the CW, but on CBS, I don’t know.

14. KC says:

…and Supergirl begins the fall….

15. JimC says:

While I’m a big fan of a lot of what Greg Berlanti writes and produces such as Arrow, The Flash and Blindspot…..there is something lacking in Supergirl. Certainly not the production values and the cast is quite likeable but the writing really needs a nip and a tuck. Just too many cliches and not enough meat and potatoes….I didn’t see who is writing the show but I would be very surprised if any of the writers were from Arrow, Flash or Blindspot. It will be a tough sell if they keep things status quo.

16. Babygate says:

Supergirl is not great. Some of the effects are subpar and the writing is not very strong. The villain of the week seems to be dispatched too easily and quickly to be in any way convincing (even in this genre) or entertaining to watch. The good vs evil theme that characterizes action-hero entertainment is largely underplayed. The theme that is obviously getting the most attention and time is the relationship building. And that’s ok with me except that in this type of show you do expect to see action. The most appealing thing for me is the cast. Melissa makes a surprisingly convincing Supergirl. She doesn’t over-deliver and doesn’t take herself too seriously. She’s charming and funny and eager and that makes her incredibly likeable. Love the sister bond with Alex, aka Chyler Leigh. Calista of course, steals every scene and I LOVE Mechad Brooks (sp) since Necessary Roughness so I love to see him as James Olsen. Because I really enjoy this cast, I hope the writing improves.

17. Jason says:

I’m enjoying Supergirl. And Gotham this season is doing well. I love Blindspot! Last night’s episode was great.

18. Craig says:

They should do a Supergirl, Scorpion, NCIS LA mega crossover event. Scorpion’s and NCIS LA’s teams would need Supergirl’s help.

19. lame says:

CBS has to be happy with that 2.2 demo for Supergirl. That sound you hear in the background is the cash register as the bucks start to roll in.

20. Oh No. The end is near. Isn’t that what all the EMPIRE haters said a couple of weeks ago(when the show did a 4.6)! As long as Supergirl stays above a 2, CBS should be ecstatic. If it starts doing 1.3’s week after week, then there is a problem.

21. Matt’s right, by the way, the CW doesn’t really have a strict LIVE ratings code like some networks do. If a show happens to catch on and gets people talking, like Vampire Diaries, Arrow, Jane the Virgin & Crazy Ex have been, that’s good for them (or so it would seem). I don’t work the networks, I’m only a fan who’s making an educated theory.
    I expected the numbers for Supergirl to drop, and I expect that the numbers for Supergirl will hover in the 8M range, it might spike or drop on occasion, but 8M, will be it’s average.
    Plus u had to expect that when going up against the Voice & DWTS!
    Lastly, as the season goes on, CBS could decide to move Supergirl, or Fox could move Gotham. Something tells me one of the networks will flinch and move of the shows, my money’s on Gotham, but again, I’m only making a guess, based off what I’m seeing. Time will tell how these shows do and if they’ll survive or not.

22. Jeri says:

Moving BBT messed up my viewing schedule. Even with my DVR I have to skip one of my 8:00 favorites. So many nights of nothing worth watching and then they pile them up on one or two nights. Old complaint, I know.

23. kmw says:

I am not surprised by lower numbers for Supergirl but still not bad. Good for Gotham to rise. I thought it might have been hurt more by Supergirl. Also good for the rest of CBS’S line up

24. Matt says:

I realize that you are not a numbers guy but I was wondering if shows being bought as season passes through, for example, iTunes are taken into consideration at all.

25. Mary S says:

I may be one of maybe 10 people in the nation who do not watch Big Bang, so it being Supergirl’s lead-in had nothing to do with my watching it. I just like comic book shows! I also do not like her feelings of inadequacy, I really do not like the editor’s attitude, and I certainly do not like that she is trying to take orders from that stupid government agency.. I will, however, give her another couple of weeks before deleting the show from my “Any Day, Any Time” record status on my DVR. Maybe if I let them accumulate and watch several episodes in a row they will make more sense to me. (Yes, I like my comic book shows to make sense!)

26. Ginger Snap says:

This is ridiculous. Never see my posts on the ratings. But they go through on The Voice. What are you afraid of?

27. Jim J. says:

“Supergirl” on CBS falls 30% in both the demo and viewers. A decline like this is usually considered alarming. But that’s what it gets for trying to destroy CBS’s sitcom division.

28. WayneAdneyC says:

Yada yada yada! All these networks you are mentioning are free networks so, why can’t you compare Supergirl to Gotham to Arrow to Flash to The S.H.I.E.L.D. And if you want my no-hoopla opinion comicbook live-action dramas have not been great since Smallville lead for ten seasons. Clearly they paved the way for Superhero series comeback.

P.s. they maybe another similar post. Disregard it for it is a very messy read and I don’t think it posted anyhow. Enjoy these second-rates-still enjoyable to watch shows as I stick to DVD reruns of my fave Smallville.