People's Choice Awards 2016

People's Choice Awards 2016: Empire, Pretty Little Liars Among TV Nominees

The People have spoken, and they really like Cookie.

Nominations for the 2016 People’s Choice Awards — being hosted by Jane Lynch on Wednesday, Jan. 6 (CBS, 9/8c) — were announced Tuesday, and several TVLine staples are among this year’s honorees.

Regardless of the outcome, it’s safe to declare Shondaland an early winner, with all three of Shonda Rhimes’ current shows — Grey’s AnatomyScandal and How to Get Away With Murder — nabbing nominations in top categories.

Scroll down for the full list of TV nominees (in 30+ categories!) before dropping a comment with your own picks.

Favorite TV Show

Minority Report
The Player
Quantico
Rosewood
Supergirl
Wicked City

For a full list of nominations in non-television categories, click over to the official People’s Choice Awards site.

Did your favorite shows and stars make the cut? Drop a comment with your picks (and your snubs!) below.

1. Robin says:

GREY’S FTW!!!

• trainwreck says:

Yasss! I wish all the Grey’s Nominees the best! Pretty sure Ellen Pompeo will win this time again.. she has been consistently a powerhouse of a performer! I love Sara Ramirez but I feel Callie had not much to do in season 11. On the other hand, Sarah Drew’s arc was truly heartbreaking and made me feel bad for April (even though the character is still not one of my favourites) so it would have been fitting to see her get nominated… anyway, two nominations from my favourite cast is still AWESOME!

2. Gloria Seales says:

Nashville should have been included in the drama series. ALL of my friends love that show, and even my daughter and granddaughter, so it’s multi -generational. Not only is it wonderful storyline, you have the great music also.

• Carolina says:

Did you vote? The Outlander group I am in voted nonstop for the show, Sam and Caitriona. That is the only way you can ensure your favorite has a chance.

3. makparis says:

How is Daredevil not nominated for favorite streaming series?!?!?

4. autumnd23 says:

Wow. I must have really different taste. Hardly into anything until the fantasy section…

5. Kelly Deeny says:

Overall, the “people” chose well with one glaring exception : UNREAL.

That is my favorite new drama, favorite overall drama, and features some of my favorite dramatic performances.

6. Gerald says:

How did Brooklyn 99 not make the comedy list. I like the other comedies, but I love Brooklyn 99.
    How did Flash not make the SciFi list. Again I like the other shows, but Flash has better ratings and better quality by far than Beauty and the Beast at least.
    Lastly. Love Teen Wolf. Glad it got a nomination. But wow it has some stiff competition.

7. Sef24 says:

Girl Meets World should of been nominated. Outstanding family and comedy show.

8. Joey Padron says:

Happy The Walking Dead, Arrow, Gotham, The Mindy Project, and Limitless got nominated. Sucks The Flash didn’t get any nominations.

9. Sarah says:

While I’m happy the most of my shows and favorite actors/actresses got nominated, I still don’t like their rules on voting. I don’t think it’s fair. Or did they change it this year? When I vote it will only be once.
    All that said, I’m really happy they cut some of the categories out this year (at least in TV). So maybe, just maybe more winners will be announced on the show itself.

• heather says:

You can vote as many times as you want, that’s why these awards are an absolute joke….peoples choice? more like what fandom has the most time to waste mass voting

• Sarah says:

@heather

That’s exactly why I don’t like the voting system and don’t think it’s fair. People should only be allowed to vote for a category once or at the very least once a day, IMO.

• Barb says:

@Heather Absolutely correct… the PCA’s are a joke.. or as one person put to me.. “The PCA’s are the BUTT end of a bad joke.”

• Add to this that according to their own official disclaimer, the winners aren’t the ones who got the most votes, but who are “picked” by an unknown comittee deciding on unknpwn rules. It would be more onest to name the prize the “Who Pays The Most For Publicity” And before somebody blames me: I don’t think those are the actors – more like the channels, who got a free, months long social media PR through the crazy fandoms.

10. I’d be really interested in TVLine’s take on how the People’s Choice awards “function”. Is it seen as ‘legit’ fan input or more rigged like Teen Choice?

11. Mr. Tran K says:

Blacklist got snubbed again. What gives?

• Simon Jester says:

The omissions of both The Blacklist and Orphan Black are pretty baffling; they are certainly among the more successful shows (both critically and in terms of ratings) in their respective categories.

12. matty says:

Why is The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones included in “Favorite Network TV Drama” instead of in the cable categories?

• Gerald says:

They are included in the generic favorite TV show – not distinguishing between cable and specialty. Then they are in the cable sci fi category to spread out the choices

13. Alexandra says:

Happy to see The MIndy Project finally get recognized, but I guess not enough people watch Orphan Black for it or the brilliant Tatiana Maslany to be recognized. Pity.

14. Brigid says:

Oh God these are terrible! Supergirl just started, how can it be nominated when no one had seen it yet? I’m not just picking on that show but there are way better shows out there that could be nominated. People’s Choice have always been the worst.

15. Shay says:

Oh my god! It’s Always Sunny got nominated! The best choice.

16. I predict…

Castle wins for the gazillionth time, Nathan Fillion and Stana will win again…

Just put me out of my misery now. As many times as I want Criminal Minds and Shemar to win. (But Matthew should be nominated too… we all love him in the CM fandom)

17. trainwreck says:

Wow absence of Sense8 in the Favourite Streaming Show category goes to show how many people are missing out on this amazing show!! Hands down one of the best series that came out this year yet has to make a bigger splash.

18. Sia says:

Favorite Streaming Series: The Mindy Project!!!

19. Brian says:

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor
    David Tennant

So what exactly was he nominated for? His voice role in Ninja Turtles? Jessica Jones that hasn’t even premiered yet? Doctor Who that he left years ago?

20. Barb says:

Any poll/voting event that allows for MANY MULTIPLE VOTES per person to me is pretty much rigged. There are people who set ‘bots’ to continuously vote for their favorite. That tells me that at least ‘one’ person likes them and is savvy enough to find a way to stack the deck! Looks at Crime Drama categories… EVERYONE, except Shemar Moore are the ‘stars’ of their respective shows. He got the nomination simply because he has a large fanbase who voted multiple times.

21. EPfan says:

Greys and ELLEN POMPEO!!

22. Lesley Goyns says:

Congrats to the nominees but sad no TheMentalist, Robin Tunney & Simon Baker for PCA2016

23. KC says:

They are still do this lame awards show?

24. Susan Masterson says:

I love The Middle and Last man Standing for comedies and Hawaii Five 0 for drama and those stars in Actor Actress categories. What Hallmark series none of them were there

25. Adam says:

The PCA’s always make so little sense to me. How did Christian Slater get nominated and not Rami Malek? I like Slater in his role, but it’s a pretty small role, and Malek is the one who obviously holds the show together. And a lot of this award is based on attractiveness, so again I ask: How did Christian Slater get nominated over Rami Malek?

26. Huh says:

What? No Tatiana Maslany or Orphan Black nominations?
    Do better, society.

27. Sara says:

Ellen Pompeo alll the way! May she win her third PCA! :)

28. Margarey says:

Hi, I’m from the UK so not familiar with the different platforms but shouldn’t Penny Dreadful be in there somewhere and Eva Green?

29. mgs2277 says:

Supergirl has two episodes and gets nominated? Network nepotism. And no love for Daredevil???

30. …… Go STANA for the WIN !!! Am staying with you till the END ………………..

31. Nikki says:

Do people not like Spencer on PLL? How did all the Liars get nominated except for Troian Bellisario in Favorite Cable TV Actress?

• Luli says:

I think she is the best actress of the four liars.
      I may be wrong but I think this is the first year she hasnt been nominated??

• Abbie says:

Troian Bellisario is such a great actress. I hate that she doesn’t get the reconition that she deserves. I wonder if people see her name and are like “who’s that?” Which makes me said since she is so outstanding and has been in this show for like 5 years! :(

• norhan says:

IKR! I felt so bad for Trioian :(

32. Maryann says:

Ok, I have a couple of MAJOR complaints with the People’s Choice voting app, which I strongly feel make the end result less than valid. I am listing them here because I didn’t see any way to comment to the people running the People’s Choice awards.

1) If you want to vote for any category, you have to vote for every category. You can’t skip any. This means you have to pick one even if you have never seen (like a tv show or movie) or heard (song category/artist) any of the nominees in that category.

2) They should let you change your vote or confirm it is correct. Technical glitches caused my ipad to choose for me in several categories, and I couldn’t change it. That does not seem fair to either the nominees or the voters.
    And finally, how are the nominees chosen and who has input on that? In several categories, I have absolutely no interest in any of the nominees. Who picked them and did the public participate? If they did, someone please tell me how that works so I will know for next year.

33. Maryann says:

Ok, since my earlier comment, I read what everyone else had to say and realized 1) you are allowed to sit there and vote all day and 2) this doesn’t matter because the vote doesn’t decide the winners anyway. FAIL! There should only be one vote per category per device (or at least only one per day) and if they call it People’s Choice, the winners of the poll in each category should actually win. I will not be watching the show when it airs, and will not be doing any further voting.

34. Teri says:

Stana Katic and Castle are who I will be voting for. Think they are both brilliant.

35. Lisa says:

Where is Scorpion?

36. Joelle says:

Please nominate grant gustin and the flash

37. joanne says:

Outlander, Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe my favourites to win.
    Disappointed Poldark and Daredevil didn’t make it.

38. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I WOULD LOVE to see HTGAWM, Once Upon A Time and THE WALKING DEAD to WIN their categories!!!!!!!

39. wendy Kalthoff says:

2 broke girls and ncis. love svu as well. chicago pd and fire are great as well/

40. Anita says:

First year in hollywood and PC (priyankachopra) already got a nomination! Yassssss! Go girl! We can stop loving u! Gotta hurry, i need to vote u an award:) xoxo

41. Knif says:

James Corden is by far my Favorite Latenight TV Host! — funny, warm, so quick, clever, & somehow lovable

42. scripe62 says:

How did Mr. Robot not get anything??? Some of the best TV I’ve ever seen!

43. Diane Cobb says:

Want to know why bloodandoill was taken from letting the people vote for it

44. Fran says:

So happy Castle made the list!

45. Fran says:

You are so right Teri! Go Castle!