Jon Stewart HBO

Jon Stewart Inks Huge HBO Deal

The next act of Jon Stewart‘s career will take place at HBO.

The former Daily Show frontman has signed a four-year production pact with the premium cabler. First up, Stewart will produce and star in “short-form digital content” that focuses on current events for HBO NOW, HBO GO and other platforms. The pact also includes “a first-look option for other film and TV” ventures.

“Jon Stewart led a revolution that changed the face of TV comedy on The Daily Show,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “He graced our network nearly 20 years ago, so we’re thrilled to welcome back his immense talents in this next chapter of his career.”

Stewart’s previous HBO credits include the standup special Jon Stewart: Unleavened, hosting George Carlin: 40 Years of Comedy and a recurring role on The Larry Sanders Show.

“I’m so excited to be working with Richard [Plepler], Michael and the entire HBO family,” added Stewart. “Appearing on television 22 minutes a night clearly broke me. I’m pretty sure I can produce a few minutes of content every now and again.”

The deal brings Stewart back under the same roof as former Daily Show colleague (and current Last Week Tonight host) John Oliver. Although, unlike Oliver, Stewart’s deal does not call for him to headline his own series — at least not yet anyway.

1. They should really add a HBO News type of channel to their lineup that is home to his content, docs (with many premieres still on the HBO mothership), Last Week Tonight and similar shows that cover the political and social landscapes.

• Alison says:

Ooh I like this! An easy way for us to find the content!

• maggie says:

Great idea!

I’m very happy to have Jon Stewart on HBO. Everytime I think I want to cancel my HBO, they do something that makes me keep it. From hiring John Oliver, to The Jinx, to hiring Jon Stewart, I’ll never be getting rid of HBO. I don’t really need it for the movies, as most can be seen elsewhere, so it’s the specials and series that keep me paying for HBO.

• Lucifer says:

I really am baffled at how people can think satire of the news is real news.

2. First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick
    question in which I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself
    and clear your thoughts before writing. I’ve had trouble clearing my
    mind in getting my thoughts out there. I truly do enjoy
    writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost
    just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?

Cheers!

3. AtlLady says:

Back in the 70s, when HBO was just kicking off, they used to show short movies instead of previews between pictures and to fill the time. One short movie I remember was filmed on the bike path between Mount Vernon and Washington, DC. If you paid attention, you would see the occasional drunk passed out on a park bench. Allowing Stewart to do something like that might be fun. There is no need to compete against John Oliver and Stewart can stretch his wings with writing and directing these type of vignettes.

4. jakis says:

More Jon Stewart on my television can only be a good thing.

5. sarah says:

I’m annoyed that it says in the slideshow about Jon’s last episode that Wyatt Cenac didn’t come in. He did come in! There were pictures of him at the after party with everyone! I thought his moment with Jon was sweet, and necessary. Happy Jon will be at HBO. All hail the great one!

• maggie says:

I agree, the comment in the slideshow is incorrect and annoying. Wyatt wasn’t really in the park across the street (he was in front of a green screen like they usually do for “remotes”), but they said he was because it had a significance to their “feud.” When Wyatt and Jon argued about Jon’s Herman Cain impression, Wyatt went out to the park across the street and refused to come in for that show. Jon asking Wyatt to come in from the park, and then seeing Wyatt in the studio, was a signal that they had made up. Anyone who listened to the entire Marc Maron’s WTF podcast with Wyatt knows that Wyatt and Jon made up long before this last episode.

6. Julia says:

I’ll take Jon Stewart however I can get him. This seems like a great fit!

7. Lou Olton says:

Huge Jon fan too, but the switch to HBO will shut me out – I can only afford TV thru the increasingly limiting Internet thanks to certain “Greed Mongers” like Xfinity, Hulu etc. ! Unless HBO allows Jon onto the YouTube (also getting greedier lately) I will Still be Missing this Very Talented Insightful Comedian !

• maggie says:

HBO allows John Oliver’s show to post the major stories from the show on youtube. Oliver does a few short stories and then one long story that’s usually 18 – 20 minutes long. The long story is usually the one posted, and he also posts some content that’s just for online & youtube. I don’t see any reason why they won’t also let Stewart post some things on youtube.

8. Mr. Mike says:

Stewart just can’t stand being out of the spotlight, getting his ego stroked by airhead lib sycophants. Just couldn’t stay behind the scenes, hope it all fails miserably.

9. Preacher Book says:

Heard the interview with his wife on “Fresh Air” today and Jon’s gotta a lotta animals to support, so it’s a working retirement.

10. Jeff says: