Agents Of SHIELD Andrew Lash

S.H.I.E.L.D.: Lash's Identity Is Revealed

This Tuesday on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the “human” identity of the Inhuman monster known as Lash was revealed — to the surprise of mayyyybe 10 percent of TVLine commenters?

Spooked by what she saw two episodes ago during the transpo van ambush, Daisy was determined to get to the bottom of the beastly Inhuman’s alter ego. Figuring that it’s someone on the inside who could find out the van’s route, Daisy and Coulson first targeted ATCU boss Rosalind Price’s No. 1, Luther Banks.

Daisy, Hunter and Mack tailed Banks, but Hunter got impatient and approached the guy in broad daylight — though while wearing a bandana! — and iced him. Then when Daisy needed a blood sample, Hunter slugged the guy good, before depositing Banks’ body back in his car.

Later, though, Simmons reported back to Daisy that Banks’ blood test came back negative, that he us as human as they come. So, a dead end on that front.

Lash’s identity would come out, though — via a separate storyline, as May and Bobbi tracked the Von Strucker kid with the hope of getting a bead on Ward’s latest location. After fleeing the convenience store assault on Andrew, Werner had found himself hiding out with a power player named Gideon, who is not afraid of Ward. When May and Bobbi stormed that location, and after many goons were felled, May found Werner bleeding out.

With his last breaths, SHIELD-Andrew-Lashthe kid didn’t reveal Ward’s whereabouts but instead related the surprising story of the attack on Andrew — which did not unfold as May’s ex claimed. Rather, Andrew transformed into Lash during the skirmish, before scaring Werner off and setting the place ablaze.

Needless to say, the news left May all :-O

At episode’s end, on the Bus, Andrew checked in with Daisy, who had just wrapped an untraceable call with Lincoln. The Secret Warriors’ resident shrink was quite curious about that Inhuman’s location, but Daisy couldn’t help him out.

Elsewhere in the episode: As indicated above, May is back and Bobbi is back in action. Also, Rosalind gave Coulson the 10-cent tour of the ATCU’s holding facility for Inhumans, who are placed in a “stasis” gel. (The two covert bigwigs also flirted up a storm.) And Fitz went about helping Simmons hopefully retrieve Will from the planet, though his first simulations on using the portal came up empty.

What did you think of the Lash reveal?

1. laurelnev says:

WOW WOW WOW! Another fantastic episode! First off, props to all of you who called tonight’s big reveal. Like Daisy, I was convinced it was Banks, or another of Rosalind’s henchmen. I was sure he wasn’t really killed last week, but I really poo+poohed the Andrew is Lash theories. Apologies to those I doubted. But the flip side of that was the WOW factor the reveal actually had for us doubters. :)

LOVED seeing BOTH May and Bobbi back in action, and especially loved May helping Bobbi get her juju back. That pool take-down was EPIC!

I can’t wait to see Andrew’s story…and Ros’ too. Tonight, Ros was humanized while Andrew was inhumanized. :) Andrew is trying to eliminate inhumans while Ros is trying to “save” them. Interesting mirrors to how most of us perceived these players.

I am wondering WHY Andrew is after Lincoln though. He appears to care about Daisy enough to spare her crush from being crushed. I’m also chomping at the bit to see how May will handle all of this.

Again, this show just keeps getting better and better, after a VERY weak 1st season. I understand S2 couldn’t happen until after the movie releases, but am hoping that SHIELD can continue to respect the movies but move at its own pace. If this show can continue to live up to the epicness achieved in S3, it will definitively take the #1 spot on my must see TV list.

• So Happy says:

@laurelnev-
      I was sure it was Banks or someone else they knew but not Andrew! Whaat?
      I shouldn’t be as surprised as I was bc so many people were so sure.
      Great, no spectacular episode!

• DG says:

A co-worker had speculated that it was Ros herself, so I was half-expecting it would be her. Can’t wait to hear when/how Andrew became Lash though. Will he work with the team as a good Inhuman or turn completely bad. Lash and May going after Grant? Would love to see that.

• Jason says:

Didn’t he and May go on a vacation, and then he suddenly upped and left her? May thought it was because things weren’t going to work out with them–but now I think it’s because Andrew turned into an Inhuman.

The question now though is this: why is he killing the other Inhumans?

• BrianR says:

Lincoln would recognize Andrew as an Inhuman who was at Afterlife too.

• Jill says:

Andrew most likely transformed because of the terrigan spill in the ocean, he never went to Afterlife.

• BrianR says:

Inhumans have been going to Afterlife for decades before Daisy showed up so Andrew could have been there and working for Jiaying as a spy in SHIELD. He also could be working for the Kree to eliminate rogue Inhumans and keep them secret.

• laurelnev says:

But I don’t think Lash was ever at afterlife, was he?

2. Katy says:

Kinda bummed they already dropped Simmons PTSD storyline tbh also I wonder if its even Andrew anymore or if Lash took over his body.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Right, did they ever explain why she had, like, “super-hearing” that episode?

• M says:

Was it “super-hearing” or just hypersensitivity to no longer familiar sounds? Or just the fact that any sound that wasn’t familiar to her over her 6 months “away” could’ve been the thing that was killing everyone on that planet so she was a bit jumpy?

• aplwrites says:

Hyper-sensitivity is a staple of PTSD. Beyond that though, her senses were attuned to a different planet with a different atmosphere. Her hearing likely adapted.

• Kim R says:

Yes, this. The planet she was living on didn’t have the noise of the living on it. Imagine the readjustment.

• Cynical says:

The show hasn’t bothered to explain a lot of things about Simmons’ return. Like why she acted as if she had severe PTSD when her time on that planet wasn’t the nightmare we were led to expect. Why didn’t she immediately tell Fitz and the others about Space Cowboy? Most importantly, why in the hell would the writers send Simmons to an alien planet just to have an excuse to create a lame, CW-lite love triangle? It would have been more “organic” and less manipulatively melodramatic to have Simmons go it alone in space. Then she and Fitz could have done what people really do — date, break up, decide they’d be better friends than lovers. Or not. However it went that would have made more sense than stranding Simmons on Planet Hunk.

• LS says:

Honestly? I think it will end up being more complicated than just a weird love triangle. I think Will probably serves a darker purpose. If there’s one thing I trust the Whedons on, it’s that it’s usually not as simple as they first imply.

• James says:

So being transported to an unknown planet, eating aliens for food, being hunted by some alien monster, thinking the only other person on the planet with you died to save you, don’t warrant a nightmare?

She didn’t tell them immediately probably because she didn’t want to hurt Fitz after it was pretty clear they were suppose to go on a date before she was consumed by the thing.

As far as the love triangle goes, you don’t know what the writers have planned for the future so you don’t know that they sent Simmons to the planet just to create a love triangle. Just sit back and watch the show and stop speculating yourself into not liking the show.

3. Johnny says:

I wonder what happened to the inhuman from this season’s premiere (I think his name was Joey). Lash couldn’t have killed him but it would be weird if they never mentioned him again.

4. Ellinaras78 says:

It was a bit obvious and expected.

5. ndixit says:

I hope they have a good explanation for why Andrew, an otherwise seemingly balanced guy, went nutso. I get the transformation may have been traumatic but I hope there is a good reason beyond that to explain why he is going after all inhumans. Secondly, they really need to make a move on the Ward storyline. Dalton’s performance still has me hooked on the character but his storyline seems to be constantly in the background with no movement. If you are going to make him a villain, have him do something.

6. James D says:

Well it was predictable but still effective in my mind. It certainly drives the story forward and sets up quite the quagmire for May. Loved the episode. Glad Mockingbird is back to her bamf self and I loved Hunter’s stuff tonight got a good chuckle out of them in the van. one thing I hope doesn’t happen is Daisy turning on Coulson because of the whole you now people stuck in jello thing.

7. Hipper says:

My goodness, can they finally kill Ward already? His story was once interesting but now has ran its course.

• Lariet50 says:

AMEN! So much Amen.

• sanchopanza says:

I’ll vote for this. He’s been just is-he-isn’t-he too long, and his whole purpose seems to be revenge, not anything Hydra was supposed to be accomplishing. Apparently the henchmen are just following him because he’s a badass.

• wendie says:

it can’t happen soon enough in my book. He is an awful character with nowhere to go storywise except try to kill people for whatever twisted reason. He needs to die SOON

8. H says:

As predictable as the ‘Andrew is Lash’ twist was (all the signs!) , I still enjoyed the reveal. I can’t wait to find out the back story tho.

9. I thought it was deliciously ingenious writing to cast Garner as a baddie. Agents of Shield has done this with Ward’s betrayal in season one, so it shouldn’t be that shocking. May’s romantic feelings still percolate for her ex, so the cliff hanger showing just his feet and legs in the grocery store just as Van Strucker escaped peril, before it exploded, left me aching for more. I’m anxious for more mouthwatering surprises next week.

10. Am I the only one who thought Lash was Raina?

11. Dj says:

After Fitz talked to Simmons was that picture of Will he had the same Will that Simmons met. It happened so quick and I had looked away and couldn’t get a clear look at it

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Looks the same. Just add 14 years of carefully maintained facial hair growth: Spaceman Will

• Jess says:

I’m having such a hard time with the 14 year timeline! How young was he when NASA blasted him through wormhole? How old is he supposed to be? And what has he been shaving with? And how was he so tan after 14 years of 0 sunlight? I’m all about suspension of disbelief…but this story line is driving me nuts among an otherwise very solid season.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

According to a very cursory review of NASA website, you must have a college degree, 3 years of experience beyond that, and then go through 2 years of training. So, maybe he was 25 to start, thus 39 when we meet him? And yet a heavier gravity would seem to cause more wear and tear on the body.

• Cassandra says:

There are many valid theories that Will is not what he seems. Jemma’s supposed trauma and the events of 4,722 Hours don’t add up at all if you go back and watch the episode whilst paying careful attention.

She also didn’t have these fears and recollections till she talked to Andrew, so…

• Morisot says:

That is how you spell D.E.D.I.C.A.T.I.O.N ! (and I’m not talking about S.H.I.E.L.D.)

• TinLV says:

Maybe its not a tan; could be he’s just naturally dark complected. Maybe no sun is why he hasn’t aged much ( if we all stayed out of the sun, our skin would age a lot slower). I like this storyline and want to see more of it. Jemma is one of my favorite characters on the show and I like that she has something to do besides work.

• lariet50 says:

Either way – HAWT!

12. Joey Padron says:

Really good episode. Good to see Lincolin again. Surprised who Lash is. Poor May, what is she gonna do now that her ex husband is a dangerous inhuman.

13. mike says:

I’m not buying that its Andrew. Lash is obviously a shape shifter so who knows how many forms he has. This whole thing just goes completely against Andrews makeup. Unless fish oil caused this and he’s the first one on record to just come through it by himself.

not buying it. at all.

• wendie says:

Very good theory!! Lash took Andrew’s form because he knows that he connections to the inhuman data base. So either he killed Andrew or has him stowed somewhere. Interesting……

14. MJ says:

I completely missed all the signs that it was Andrew. I was shocked when the reveal was made. I hadn’t read any posts where people stated that Andrew was Lash, so it caught me completely off guard.

15. buttercupscarlett95 says:

I hadn’t seen the theory on Andrew being Lash before the episode aired. Early on in the episode, I started to suspect, but I wasn’t sure they would go there, so the reveal was still a bit of a surprise to me. I thought it was an awesome twist, and I’m really looking forward to next week!

16. BrianR says:

I didn’t see that coming at all.

17. Jenna says:

I thought it was Andrew all along but I still was gaping in surprise when it was revealed. Did anyone else think Kebo would turn into Lash during his fight with Bobbi? Also I’m assuming he’s dead now, since he got electrocuted, so Ward just lost two assets in him and Werner.

18. Mark C says:

Congrats. Back on track makes up for last week silly episode. Fighting Hydra, return of Mai, even Lash being doctor all good.

19. Caiti says:

It may not be the most professional line ever written, but

“Needless to say, the news left May all :-O”

is gold.

20. I was totally surprised that Lash is Andrew. I’m usually pretty good at guessing these sorts of things. I have to say I’m digging this season even more than last season. This show is really getting into their own groove and really happy about it. Can’t wait to see next week’s episode