X-Files Spinoff

Is Fox Eyeing an X-Files Spinoff Starring Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose?

How’s this for a wild conspiracy theory: Fox’s upcoming X-Files revival doubles as a backdoor pilot for a possible new series starring The Flash‘s Robbie Amell and Six Feet Under‘s Lauren Ambrose.

Crazy, right?! Well, rumor has it the idea to potentially spin off Mills and Einstein, the new alien-hunting FBI agents played by Amell and Ambrose in the forthcoming continuation, was bandied about. But it appears the project has gone the way of the Smoking Man (AKA it’s dead… but could come back to life?).

When I spoke to series creator Chris Carter last month at New York Comic-Con, he didn’t deny that the potential for a new, Amell-and-Ambrose-fronted series was out there. But he didn’t confirm it either. Instead, he noted that the pair’s X-Files contracts do not contain “a series deal beyond” the six-episode revival, adding, “People can speculate, but [their pacts] weren’t negotiated that way.”

Asked if the thought of an Amell/Ambrose X-Files offshoot ever crossed his mind, Carter replied, “Right now I’m focused on doing the show with David [Duchovny] and Gillian [Anderson].”

Speaking of which, the X-Files returns with a special two-night event beginning Sunday, Jan. 24 following the NFC Championship Game, and continuing with its time period premiere on Monday, Jan. 25 (8/7c). In addition to Carter, Anderson and Duchovny, cast members Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis will be on hand for the event series, as will writer-producers Glen Morgan, James Wong and Darin Morgan.

1. Shaun says:

Robbie is terrible as a lead,NOOOOOO!!

2. Sidd says:

Without Mulder and Scully X.files has 0 interest (for me….and for many people)

3. SUSO says:

I feel like they are in the Darin Morgan episode as a gag because Ambrose has red hair and Amell sorta looks ruggedly handsome in that young Duchovney way. To spin them off is a horrible idea.

4. Blackwood says:

So… that would be a ‘no’ then.

Thank God for that.

5. tahina says:

Let’s see how I say this… NO!

6. LE says:

I think Robbie is was better in comedy like in THE DUFF because in Tomorrow People and Flash he was ok/really bad at some moments… so I don’t know if I would buy him as a FBI agent…

• LE says:

is way better*

• wolves08 says:

Your right he was really funny in The Duff! Like he played up the man child, super attractive jock really well. But also Mae Whitman is just rad and can be personable with a rock is she wanted too.

• Mick says:

Agreed. Robbie was brilliant on 1600 Penn. He has decent to good comedic timing. I don’t understand why he isn’t pursuing more sitcoms where he would probably thrive.

• Jbj says:

I think you’re right that he is better in comedies. He was HILARIOUS on 1600 Penn as the First Daughter’s idiotic baby daddy. But even in The Duff, he had moments that made me grit my teeth. I don’t think he’s a terrible actor, but he is just not ready to be in all these lead roles they keep casting him in.

7. j says:

I love how people are sure this would be the absolute worst without having seen even one second of footage of these characters.

8. Annie says:

I’m sorry, but no. Many people involved with the original series have admitted themselves that the reason it worked was because of the once in a lifetime chemistry between David and Gillian.

9. Certainly the first thing I noticed when they announced these castings is that they look, not necessarily a lot LIKE Duchovny and Anderson, but a lot like who you might cast as Mulder and Scully if you were to cast those characters now but were still looking for Duchovny and Anderson TYPES.

10. Cory says:

As someone who enjoyed Reyes and Doggett I say yes please to this. The X-Files could be a limited midseason run each year and this could be a longer show and they could even give it it’s own unique mythology.

11. E says:

Without Mulder and Scully I’m not interested at all! Also I really can’t stand Lauren Ambrose. I’m down for watching 6-12 episodes a year of X-files starring Mulder and Scully though

12. Drew says:

If you think about it, Mulder and Scully were just continuing the work of Arthur Dales, so it wouldn’t be out of line to imagine someone else picking up their work. But I can’t say whether or not these characters work until I’ve seen the show.

13. Kevin says:

But this time… the woman is the believer and the man is the skeptic!

14. Thandie says:

Cuz that sh!tty network isn’t hated enough, yeah – go right ahead. And as if Philes don’t already want Carter’s head in a spike. Disgusting greed. They better not even think about this sh!t again. Excellent way of destroying your own legacy, Chris.

This being said, I think that Robbie and Gillian look good together. Ducov ain’t looking too hot these days.

15. Leah says:

this is worse than season 9 of x-files trying the same thing with doggett and reyes.

Then again we have no idea how these characters are.

16. Jerri says:

Not even if there was nothing else to watch on TV.

17. mike says:

It would explain why he dropped or was dropped from Legends. Other than the fact that he can’t act worth a damn. Terrible idea though. Probably one of the worst ever honestly. First, enough with the stupid reboots already. Get some originality for fricks sake

18. LA Hope says:

Guys let’s get real, nobody would watch that!
    X-Files itself wouldn’t have worked without Gillian and David, and if anything, Fox should consider a season eleven with them!

19. Cartman says:

It’d be the worst idea ever but it’s actually BS for several reasons. First of all, the two characters have been created by Chris Carter, Darin and Glen Morgan as two “comedic” parallels for Mulder and Scully…does anybody seriously think that they would create a spinoff with two characters called Mills and EINSTEIN(name created by Darin Morgan because he considered Scully to be the smartest one)?!! Second of all, Chris made it clear that The X-Files is only David and Gillian/Mulder and Scully. Lastly, Chris Carter vaguely hinted at wanting to bring Millennium back after 6 episodes of The X-Files have aired, he’s goal would be to make 8 more episodes of The X-Files for 2017 and bring Millennium back on TV(Lance Henriksen said he’d do something like that) probably with 10 new episodes at first.

20. Samantha says:

Keep you comments to yourselves people and for you information I think robbie amell is an amazing actor so get the hell over it.

21. Erik sprowls says:

How can u do a reboot in a show that has yet to have a satisfying ending? I mean DO a reboot once u end the series. Don’t do one when the original isn’t over! Even lost had an ending. fringe had an ending. Please don’t disappoint chris carter. We’ve waited patiently. Do it right.