New Star Trek Series 2016

New Star Trek Series to Premiere in January 2017 — Find Out Where

A new Star Trek series is on its way — and boldly going where no such high-profile project has gone before.

It was announced on Monday that Alex Kurtzman, one of the producers of the current Star Trek film franchise (as well as a TV uberproducer), is shepherding the next small-screen iteration, to debut in January 2017 on CBS… before premiering all subsequent new episodes on CBS All Access, the network’s live streaming service.

CBS All Access — which already hosts every episode of every previous Trek series — offers thousands of episodes from CBS’ current and past seasons on demand, for $5.99 per month.

Per CBS Television Studios, “The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.”

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” CBS Television Studios president David Stapf said in a statement. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

The original, William Shatner-fronted Star Trek premiered Sept. 8, 1966.

Share in Comments what you want and don’t want from a new Trek.

1. Dani says:

Wow. They shouldn’t be swept up with the reboot phase TV is going through right now. And shouldn’t they at least finish the third movie first considering its being worked on at the moment. And which timeline is it going to use? So many questions. I hope it doesn’t fail.

• j Sturm says:

The new movie will bne out before this debuts, and $1000 says this is set in the new JJ Timeline

• RichCD says:

Oh good, since in the JJ timeline, they’ve cured death with magic blood and people can beam themselves across the galaxy. No need for starships. Maybe it’ll be a foot race.

• herman1959 says:

That would be a mistake because a lot of the success of the new movies is because the characters are take from the original TV canon. They might as well set the new show in a different time frame and free the writers to go as far as possible.

• RichCD says:

Actually, most of the characters in the movies resemble their TV counterparts in name only. That’s why you have a rebel without a cause version of Kirk, and Spock is a weepy romantic prone to bouts of extreme violence

But I agree, this new series needs to ‘boldly go’ in a new direction. And if they are going to call it Star Trek, then please make it so. The JJ movies are most definitely not.

2. rarefied says:

A few years ago I would have been squeeling in joy, but I’m so, so skeptical nowadays. Please don’t destroy my childhood, Paramount!

3. Hellfreezer says:

Almost let my self get exited there. Had to give myself a mental slap… wait and see man, wait and see.

4. Gail says:

My guess would be that it will be the new timeline since that is the current timeline. How about a new timeline version of the Next Generation series.

5. aph1976 says:

I’m excited by this news

6. megalion says:

OH PLEASE LET IT BE MICHAEL DORN’S KLINGON focused project! !

I heard a rumbling not long ago about DORN drumming up interest in a Klingon centric series. THAT would be very interesting to see. .. The ST universe from their point of view.

7. Carla Hollar says:

Please don’t choose special effects over story. We want an ensemble cast of multiple races/types with intelligence. Think more action Big Bang Theory with Law and Order SVU. Universal morality plays like original but for today and the future. Can’t wait!

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Very excited about the news. Did enjoy the last two rebooted Star Trek movies and I can’t wait for the next one when it comes out in July 2016.

9. David Stumme says:

Nope. I’m not paying for CBS All Access, even for new Star Trek. Hopefully that gets scuttled before release.

• drhenning says:

I am afraid the days of unlimited free TV are coming to an end. Anything decent will have to be paid for eventually… People have no problem with HULU, Amazon, and NetFlix… Just quit going to 1 movie a month and you got it all paid for..

• Simon Jester says:

People have no trouble choosing *between* Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix… but how many people subscribe to all three? And how many will be willing to spring for a fourth just on the basis of a single original property? I’m with David; it’s not enough to get me to open my wallet.

• Stacy says:

The great thing is that it’s no longer all or nothing. You can subscribe to Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, and CBS All Access separately or in any combination. You’re no longer required to pay big bucks for cable with no wiggle room.

• Sg. Grant says:

You should look into popcorn time. :)

• Temperance says:

That’s why many people I know just download what they are interested in seeing from anywhere in the world. If they’d just give us the option of paying for what channels (and only which channels) that we want on cable. I really don’t feel the need to pay $200 a month to support 95% of the channels that I’ll never spend one minute watching.

10. Carima says:

WTH? No one is going to watch it on CBS All Access.

• Darlene says:

I will. I love watching all my Star Trek shows any time I want on CBS All Access. And I’m spending far less money than owning all those DVDs for each ST show.

• just sayin says:

Corporate shill..
        CBS is a horrible choice. They have no love for SciFi in primetime. They got lucky with Supergirl

11. Rob says:

Enough with the reboots of dead shows! Don’t any producers, writers, etc. have original ideas? This is why viewers are flocking to Cable.

• kirads09 says:

The Trek universe and fandom is anything but dead. It will always LLAP.
      This is exciting. Reserving judgement because soooooo much is going to depend on the writing and casting to make it work. So very much. I would join CBS access to check it out for sure.

• tvjunkie says:

You think cable is better at originality? LOL. Even the biggest cable show, TWD, is not original. A high number of cable shows are not original, based on something, whether book, movie or reboot of something.

• Temperance says:

Star Trek isn’t dead – it’s actually more vital than most shows that ever existed. Get a grip.

12. Imitation Crab says:

CBS has some really big potatoes for making this a “pay” TV show. I’m a huge, HUGE Star Trek fan, but I won’t pay CBS a dime for anything.

13. Sharon says:

HELL YEAH!!!!

14. Jennifer says:

So, in order to watch this, I have to pay CBS to have their “all access”? No. Between satellite and Netflix and Hulu and all the other “pay” outlets, it’s just too much. I am a die hard Star Trek fan – have been since I was a kid (my mom watched the original in the 60s and we watched the reruns). I would LOVE to see this, but not everyone is made of money. It’s not fair to the networks to make us pay for ANOTHER network. It will fail because of this.

15. DanZee says:

So only the first episode will be on TV and the rest online? Or will the show be on TV, but they will be played first online? The writing isn’t specific. I also hope CBS doesn’t ruin it. The last Star Trek movie violated several basic tenants of the series, having communicators that could call the Romulan Empire and transporter that could do the same. Obviously they had no scientific advisers on the movie!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Premiere on CBS, everything else online only.

• megalion says:

The first JJ Abrams star trek movie. … REBOOTED CANON.

Thus paving the way for a whole new canon.

There are no “basic tenants ” any more in these new films.

Yet the new TV series could work off the original canon. It’s my expectation anyways.

16. Atherworld says:

CBS AllAccess? They just set enjoyment to kill. Oh well, probably set in the Abrams new universe. I only like the former universe.

17. GhostWolf says:

No thanks (the network is already available on cable and satellite – why pay extra for one show – not worth it). The show will for certain wind up on DVD/Blu-ray so will see it then (that is, if it is any good). Only really liked STTNG, the other later versions not so much.

18. Don’t want it set in the same canon as the current movies. Want it set in the canon of the original series, post Voyager.

19. photonex68 says:

They had me until “you have to pay extra to watch the episodes.” No thanks.

20. Tw123 says:

Was SO excited for this until I saw the CBS All Access piece. I already pay for 3rd party services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, etc. I’m not giving over anymore of my money for a monthly service. Not even for my much beloved series. Terrible choice, CBS. Way to let all the air out of the balloon.

21. Star Trek Voyager was used to launch UPN – but that was free. Launching a new fee-based channel on Star Trek at this day and age is a bit risky. And I’m a huge Star Trek fan. But honestly, I’ve loved the new movies so much — I don’t want that watered down either. Yes, there are tons of universes to explore but I worry they will end up having to sacrifice creativity to please too many masters/objectives.

Here’s the list of “conditions” that are required to make this successful:
    – The characters have to be exceptional – usually a Star Trek strength – but they can’t go cliche or retread here.
    – The plot has to be clearly in or out of the movie universe. If out, it has to be waaaaaaay out. Like earlier in time or so much later (post-Voyager) that the anomaly has been noted and moved on. If in, it has to be driven BY the movies, not drive the movies..
    – Premise needs to be attention grabbing and fresh – please, no “Academy” or Mary Sue youths. Lead actor has to have the acting chops to compel us to watch. Star Trek is routed in compelling stories that reflects current world issues in a fictional setting. If done superficially, it’s not going to work. Get some big-picture writers.
    – I can’t imagine preventing bootleg versions. It’s not right but if production is dependent on prevention of this? It’ll fail.

So “Yay!” Star Trek. But don’t screw it up. If it’s not an out-of-the-park series, then put in on the backburner for a few more years.

22. Douglas K. says:

I’m a huge Star Trek fan, but they’re gonna need to knock this one out of the park to get me to pay $5.99 per month to watch it. Sure, I’ll give the first episode a chance. But I don’t want brainless second-rate faux Trek, I want the real thing. If the new show exhibits the same lack of comprehension of Star Trek as those crappy Abrams movies, or the same disrespect for the intelligence of the viewer, I’m out.

23. Annie says:

NOOOOO. I mean, I knew this day was coming….but the new movies have completely lost the spirit of Trek I’m not looking forward to a tv version of that. Trek has a long legacy of having dynamic and complex female characters and the new movie ruined that and turned them into weepy sex symbols. Plus the new Klingon design is racist. Westmore and the writers on TNG worked really hard to undo the racism of the original Klingon design….and now we’re just back to that. Uggggg

24. Luis says:

Be still my beating heart!!

25. Tom says:

This so better be in the original timeline. And Yvonne Strahovski for Captain for certain.

• Temperance says:

That’s a thought. Actually, Yvonne is awesome in everything. And maybe they could get Zachary Levi for her second (yes, in completely different roles, and non-romantic). They have a magic synergy together. Of course, they’ll cast new people, as always, to keep the costs down.

26. Temperance says:

Finally. We’ve been waiting for ages for these morons to get it together. It’s going to be massively downloaded, though, because no one is going to cough up for some lame CBS retread site. Seriously, that idea is a total nonstarter.

27. Carla Krae says:

Nope, not paying $6 a month just to get new Trek. And I LOVE Star Trek. Same reason I don’t own any ST disc sets – too damn expensive!

28. Colleen says:

I am definitely interested. However, I won’t be paying for another digital streaming service. I already pay for Amazon and Netflix. If the show is good, I’ll find some other way to watch. You hear that CBS? I already pay for DirecTV, Netflix and Amazon. Surely, CBS could release the show on tv or one of those other services?

It is getting ridiculous how EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL wants us to pay to stream their content. Isn’t this exactly what HULU was designed to prevent?? Ugh.

Anyway, I hope the show is good. Hope it is actually about solid characters with interesting stories. I didn’t like the brainless action film that was the second JJ film. I also didn’t like the silly action blockbusters that were most of the TNG films. I really don’t like Trek much on film. Much prefer it on television. But, they really need strong writers who can blend stories about interesting sci-fi concepts and developed characters.

I actually don’t care which timeline it is in as long as it has interesting characters and is about exploring the galaxy or the interaction between different aliens.

29. Colleen says:

What’s the budget of the new show? Being that it is online, is it going to be working under a smaller, restricted budget?

What’s the premise? What’s the timeframe? Do we know any of this stuff? Don’t we usually know these kinds of details when a new Trek series is announced?

30. The Watcher says:

If they make this akin to the “As-made-by-HBO” Star Trek Vanguard novels Set during The Original Series, I’ll be astonished and delighted. If it’s a Nu-Trek Rehash of the modern film universe… why would they be competing with themselves on TV, and if it’s a Post 24th-Century Story… I’ll be intrigued.

31. Beverly Quiroga says:

I have loved Star Trek since its beginning. Few of this crop of potential captains seem to fit the bill. None of the candidates seem to have the strength and character of Captains Kirk, Picard or Janeway. If fans are disappointed with a weak Captain and weak stories only relying on special effects to keep it going, then the show will rapidly crash. Please be sure the new one lives up to expectations. If not fans will be turning their TVs off.

32. The Star Trek revival should be set a century or more away from the TNG/DS9/VOY setting, but not entirely divorced from it. There’s always room to see characters whose nature permits them to still be alive in such a setting.

Seven of Nine, Data (in B4’s body as depicted in the comics), and Odo come to mind as obvious candidates from those three series. They could also do a tie-in to Enterprise that features Archer in a time travel adventure set before the conclusion of the Temporal Cold War which finds him transported to the timeframe of the new series.

The potential to do a great Trek series is there, but they won’t find it if they remain chained to the cinematic version.

Tossing out decades of Trek to pander to nostalgia for the original would be a mistake.

33. Anjin San says:

I sure hope that they work hard with the writing. Star Trek is all about story and character development. The new movies lack believability. I know it’s supposed to be a sci fi show but Roddenberry made it very clear that he wanted things to be based on science and required characters behave in a way that made them real. I mean would the Enterprise really be able to go under water then soar up in the sky the next minute? Pretty lame. The interaction between Spock and Kirk in the newer films lacks any substance. There’s little history between them. The ridiculous love affair between Spock and Uhura is annoying let alone their displays of physical affection in front of everyone. Even if this were to be the case, you wouldn’t see a US Navy ship’s executive officer kissing another senior bridge officer in plain sight. Then there are the stories and perhaps those suffer most because Trek is a TV show at its best, not an action movie franchise. So hopefully these writers will return to what makes Star Trek great….characters and stories about the human condition along with the action. Is it a lot to expect and ask for? Absolutely but that’s what it would take.

34. TVFan says:

Will my comment post this time?

35. herman1959 says:

I’ll watch the pilot episode on CBS out of curiosity, but I won’t pay for CBS All Access to see the rest. I have hulu and netflix with an antenna for local stations. This has been working well for us since we traded in cable for Roku a few years ago. Since CBS shows are still available on their website I’m covered for now, and I’ve enjoyed the new Stark Trek movies, but I doubt the quality would be there on a weekly basis.

36. David says:

I hope it’ll be set in the 25th century. Because I would like to see the U.S.S. Enterprise-G.

37. Marilyn Lombardi says:

If this new Star Trek series is anything like TOS with their social issues, characters, and plots, then it would be worth every penny to watch it. I would be willing to pay for good television again like it was in 1966.

38. Grace M says:

Wait only the pilot episode will be on CBS? That sucks for anyone who doesn’t have their streaming website, especially outside of the US.

39. JM says:

NO thanks. Love Star Trek, but I’m not paying $6.00/mo. for it.

40. Vi says:

I pay over $200 a month on cable. I pay for HULU and Netflix. I seriously do not plan on paying for CBS. I love Star Trek and have watched them all, from the first series to the last, and all the movies. Maybe if I didn’t have cable, I would think more seriously about paying for CBS, but with my husband watching sports, ROKU wouldn’t work. Will check out the first episode, but with them playing on CBS all access, this is a great disappointment.

41. Dr. M says:

“Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise”
    Wow, that’s a lie.

42. Joe says:

I am a Trekky and will die a trekky and looking foward to the new series. I only hope that they avoid these exceptionaly strange looking aliens.
    If Aliens exist, and I think they do, we don’t need to exagerate what they might look like.
    Apart fro that, I cannot wait, wish it would start tomorrow.
    I just wonder why we had to wait so long for a series which has been extremely popular in the past.

43. Candyce says:

I wish it was going to be on regular CBS instead of all access. I won’t pay for all access. I hope CBS rethinks this, I would love to watch a new Star Trek!

44. Dean says:

Ken Watanabe

45. Don’t do Jj time line it’s horrible. Do something new not a reboot or a copy something new. Set it after tng era. Maybe enterprise f or g.

46. will says:

I THINK SEE MORE UNSEEN ADVENTURES OF THE ENTERPRISE 1701B WOULD BE MORE BETTER SINCE WE DO NOT KNOW THE FATE OF THAT SHIP! SET IT IN THE EARLY 24TH CENTURY! BUT WITH A MORE EXPERIENCED CAPTAIN AND CREW THAN THE ONE SHOWN AT THE BEGINNING IN THE MOVIE STAR TREK GENERATIONS IN THE PRIME TIMELINE! BRING ON STAR TREK:THE LOST ERA OR STAR TREK:1701B!

47. cap says:

I AGREE, I THINK USING THE ENTERPRISE B WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE TO USE FOR A TV SERIES AND A WORTHY NEXT GENERATION PREQUEL! THERE IS SO MUCH WE STILL DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT TIME PERIOD SET IN EARLY 24TH CENTURY! BETWEEN KIRK AND PICARDS TIME PERIODS! LIKE THE TOMED INCIDENT WHICH FORCED THE ROMULANS INTO EXILE THEM SELVES FROM THE REST OF THE GALAXY UNTIL 65 YEARS LATER IN NEXT GENERATIONS TIME PERIOD! MISSING YEARS WE STILL DONT KNOW ABOUT! AND A MYSERIOUS LOST ERA OF STAR TREK WHICH MUST FINALLY BE REVEALED TO ALL OF US! I SAY BRING ON STAR TREK :1701B! WITH A BETTER CAPTAIN AND CREW OF COURSE! GOOD TITLE! STAR TREK:1701B! SET IN EARLY 24TH CENTURY AND IN PRIME TIMELINE OF AS WELL!

48. cap says:

YES! YES! DEFINATELY THE EXCELSIOR CLASS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701B! IN THE NEW TV SERIES! TRULY A WORTHY PREQUEL OF NEXT GENERATION AND SINCE THE FATE OF THIS SHIP IS STILL UNKNOWN TO US! LETS SEE THIS SHIP AND CREWS ADVENTURES THAT TOOK PLACE BEFORE ITS DESTRUCTION OR DECOMITION! YES WHY NOT SEE THIS SHIP AND THOSE LOST YEARS OF TREK IN THIS NEW TV SERIES IN 2017! I THINK STAR TREK:1701B IS A GOOD TITLE! AND SO IS STAR TREK: THE LOST YEARS OR HOW ABOUT STAR TREK:LOST GENERATIONS WHICH I THINK SOUNDS BETTER AS A MOVIE TITLE THAN FOR A SERIES BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!