Star Trek New TV Series

New Star Trek Series: 14 Captain Candidates CBS Must Consider

Now that the tribble’s outta the bag regarding CBS/CBS All Access’ new Star Trek series, the captain’s chair is the most coveted piece of real estate in Hollywood the galaxy. But who is really up to the task of following in the bootsteps of predecessors as diverse as William Shatner and Kate Mulgrew?

We have some ideas — in fact, we’re boldly going out on a limb with a few of them — and we suspect you do, too. So, as what is surely destined to be the most closely watched casting search of 2016 gets underway, scroll through our gallery of suggestions below — or click here for direct access — then hit the comments with your picks.

1. Marco says:

Well, Winchester’s most likely (unless NBC makes The Player a summer show, but I doubt it) out of a show, and a new Star Trek would sell like hotcakes, so that would be my pick.

2. Television says:

This needs to pick up where DS9 left off. It should have Captain Worf. And have some of the original people from the other series in TNG, VOY, DS9. I want to see Worf in charge and the captain. It would be great to see him take the lead.

3. mookie311 says:

since michelle forbes is already in the trek universe, and ro laren was AWESOME, i couldn’t possibly be more excited about having her back as captain ro.

• Colleen says:

Since Ro defected from Starfleet and became a terrorist, I doubt she would ever be let back in to Starfleet to become a Captain.

Though, I do love Michelle Forbes and loved Ro. So, if they could get Michelle Forbes into the show somehow, I would LOVE that.

• The Watcher says:

Funny enough you should say that, because in the novels (which aren’t the TV show obviously), after the events of TNG & DS9 when Ro joined the Maquis and the Dominion basically eradicated them, Ro rejoined the Bajoran militia to fight the Dominion for killing her friends eventually ending up on Deep Space Nine doing Odo’s old Job as head of Security. Later when Bajor was admitted into the Federation, the majority of the Bajoran Miliita was rolled over into Starfleet. And Ro was once again a part of Starfleet albeit a transition that had been smoothed out be intervention directly from Picard. Years later, Ro became Captain of Deep Space Nine and the subsequent to Terok Nor’s destruction…now runs it’s current incarnation as a newly-rebuilt Federation Starbase (designed by Chief O’Brien & Lt. Nog).

I know the Books aren’t canon, but damn I wish they were, they’ve got seasons of material just sitting there waiting to be mined for a new series.

• neums says:

Nice! Another fan of the expanded universe! I just finished the most recent, and am awaiting the conclusion to that story with the new book in December. Finally gonna see what happened in the 2-year gap that happened pre-Destiny trilogy.

• muthanite says:

Forbes would be an awesome choice… Captain Ro Laren would bring the focus back to “Where none have gone before.” She would provide a link to STNG, the story of the Bajoran entry into the Federation would be formalized, and that whole back-story could be revealed over the course of several episodes. Her route from Terrorist to the Captain’s chair would be scenic and breathtaking. :-)

4. Simon Jester says:

Meh, not loving any of those names for Trek (though I like many of those actors in other things). It needs to be someone inspired, not just… familiar.

5. Tom says:

Yeah I’d be down for Captain Ro, but my vote is Yvonne Strahovski hands down.

6. Forbes would be ironic given that she declined playing Ro Laren in Deep Space Nine.

7. Barb says:

Ohh please lord NO to any of them…. If CBS wants to reboot Star Trek, pick it from the New Movies…. Let the ‘voyage continue’ with them… It’s bad enough CBS wants to put it exclusive to CBS All Access rather then Network. I’m not going to pay ‘twice’ for CBS show… But these choices just don’t fit into the whole Star Trek world…

• Diane Raetz says:

Depends on the era. If it’s post TNG then the rebooters don’t work. Personally I love the idea of SMG on the show but not as the captain. Maybe the cranky Doctor?

• Jake says:

Exactly, CBS can pound sand with their trying to make you pay for everything – the other networks (FOX, ABC, NBC) aren’t such cheap-ass bastards.

• tvjunkie says:

If CBS really follows through with that, then I would expect the show to be highly pirated and as a result ultimately fail because it won’t generate enough revenue to sustain it.

8. Clandestine Green says:

I’d vote for Philip Winchester or Patrick Wilson (his backside would look great in a Star Fleet uniform)

9. Jimmy says:

I like the idea of another woman, especially a woman of color, but I doubt Michelle Forbes would be interested since she ran far from Star Trek as soon as she could. Besides, why cast an actor who already played a very well-known and liked character in TNG?

10. Jake says:

If anyone could pull it off Maggie Q could. I could totally see her rocking a Trek uniform!

11. msstargate says:

How about thinking outside the network box and going with Amanda Tapping.

12. Mr. Tran K says:

Josh Charles gets my vote.

13. Paul K says:

Archie Punjabi gets my vote! I would love to see her suit up.

14. kirads09 says:

Um – def NOT Elizabeth Mitchell. No.

15. kirads09 says:

I would like to nominate William Fichtner my perennial fav.

16. spindae2 says:

Joe Lando!!!! I mean I suggest him for every role, but well he deserves it. ^^
    On the female side Maggie Q is always a good choice but Stana Katic could use a new challenge.

17. Bill says:

It would be great if they would link the new to the older by bringing back Wesley Crusher as the new Captain With his background new more profound being a traveler awesome story line

18. Rebecca says:

Well unless I’m mistaken….. Gina’s on the still on air…. Suits so she couldn’t do it anyway.

19. Colleen says:

Elizabeth Mitchell is a GREAT suggestion. Joel Kinnaman is also intriguing. I support anything that keeps Matt Bomer on screen, but I’m not sure he’d be right for a Star Trek captain. Who knows, though. Maybe he could pull it off. Archie Panjabi is an interesting idea.

I wish we had more details about what the premise of the show is.

20. Sheldon W. says:

Gina Torres for the win!

21. DL says:

Elizabeth Mitchell’s the only one out of these that I really liked. I definitely could see her as captain.

22. KayCeeCee says:

Gina Torres or Archie Panjabi as the Captain with Philip Winchester as the First Officer.

23. Mark says:

Anna Torv as Captain of the ship say no more

24. Charmed says:

For me is Maggie Q ,she has a very strong personality and exelent fighting skills.She is the best captain.

25. dave says:

Kyle Chandler as Captain. Thread closed.

26. gina and archie are awesome..wish they could get alexander siddig :) that dude is awesome

27. Stacy says:

I’m just excited about the idea of a well made, well written sci-fi show. It’s been a long time since I watched the occasional Star Trek episodes in my youth. I don’t know who should be Captain, but I have some favorite faces I’d love to see on the show in general.
    Maggie Q would be an awesome casting choice. I love Josh Charles, but I’m not sure he wants to go back to a big TV commitment again. I would enjoy seeing Amanda Tapping again. Tina Majorino. Archie Panjabi. Jason Dohring. The entire cast of Lost as Star Trek: Lost.

28. Q says:

John Delancie

29. murley says:

Some great names on this list but I think my top choice would be Gina Torres.

30. shamangrrl says:

As much as I like several of the actors/actresses on the list, the only one that screams “Leader” and “Captain” to me is Gina Torres. Now if the PTB wanted to round out the rest of the cast with Yvonne, Matt, Michelle and Phillip, I’d be there in a heartbeat.

31. broncfanwa says:

Colin Ferguson

32. herman1959 says:

Josh Charles, and I didn’t really watch TGW, but I did see that famous scene where he was angry and swiped everything off that desk. I’m voting for him based on that one scene. I would also like to see Archie in the cast, I liked her in The Widower on PBS.

• Stacy says:

Now that’s how you know he’s a good actor! You only have one strong memory of his acting and it’s impressive enough you want to cast him as the lead of an iconic show.

33. Michael E Ribar says:

Kirk was the ‘kid’ Captain. We need a mature actor to lead. I have two:

Gina Flores. Her Firefly experience alone shows she is ready to sit in the big chair.

Ken Wanatabe. Long career and great actor.

34. Luis says:

Ohhhh, Archie Panjabi, please!!

35. canadian ninja says:

Out of all those candidates I like Maggie Q the best. If you’ve ever seen her in interviews she’s got a totally calm, in charge kind of presence about her.

36. TVLine Fan Girl says:

Felicia Day — She has plenty of Science Fiction work and she is smart.

37. Blah says:

obviously it depends on the vibe they want to go for. But dani pudi as pickard 2.0 could be fun

38. Marilyn Lombardi says:

I think Matt Bomer looks like he would make a very good Captain Kirk.

39. m3rcnate says:

This shockingly isn’t a good list. Lots of “nope’s” in my opinion, just a few yeses.
    Also while the show should have a captain of a starship, I think it should have a unique take to the series of shows and have at least two Starships that travel together, giving us two Starship Captains. The show should also have part of the story arc take place on Earth from the POV of three leads; a Federation military leader, a Federation Politician and someone else with an important job.

40. A fan of TV says:

I would not watch a Trek captained by SMG. Sorry, I wouldn’t. I’d watch her in plenty but for some reason I’m viscerally opposed to her captaining on Trek. Archie Panjabi, heck yes. But for some irrational reason the thought of SMG starring on Star Trek makes me convulse.

41. Liz says:

Not Elizabeth Mithchell or Sarah Michell Geller.

42. JM says:

Gina Torres all the way. She would be fantastic!

43. GeeMa says:

Joe Flanigan. Loved him in Stargate: Atlantis.

44. Bruce Padgett says:

Nathan Fillion. Full stop.

45. Laurie Mann says:

I’d love to see Rose Leslie (Ygritte in Game of Thrones) as a captain-in-training.

46. Maryann says:

Either Gina Torres or Ken Watanabe would make me ecstatic if they were chosen! The rest of your suggestions either do not have the gravitas, or I just plain don’t like them, although I would love to see Philip Winchester and/or Sarah Michelle Gellar as ship’s officers.

47. dan says:

How about Geena Davis? Or maybe … Captain Jack … John Barrowman. Hey, he’s already a captain!

48. JC1 says:

I like a lot of these suggestions for cast, but for captain, Gina Torres would definitely be my top pick. Philip Winchester second. I wonder if CBS would put someone like Alex O’Loughlin in there, though, if Hawaii Five-0 ends this year.

49. mike says:

Return to the basics of the original with the perfect choice, Tom Welling.