Major Crimes 4B Spoilers

Major Crimes Boss Shares Unique Plan for Extra Episodes, Teases Season 4B

When it was announced that TNT had expanded Major Crimes Season 4 to a series-high 23 episodes, the news was met with a mixed reaction — equal parts “Yea!” and “Hold on just a minute, is this the end?”

But to those fretting that TNT was giving the crime drama a warm kiss goodbye, series creator James Duff maintains, “That’s not at all the case.” Rather, he suspects, the cabler was “looking to have some original content on the air in February, and they had not much to choose from at the time.”

That said, Major Crimes has not yet been renewed for Season 5. But Duff is forever optimistic. “TNT has made no secret of its desire to move to edgier fare,” he acknowledges. “But I think they also want to do that without losing the audience they already have.” And the fact is, while newer kids such as Murder in the First and Public Morals (not to mention one-and-done Proof) haven’t set the Nielsens on fire, Major Crimes continues to pull solid numbers, in both live and delayed viewing.

“Cable makes its money not by demos,” where The Closer‘s kin certainly could perform better, “but by subscribers,” Duff says. “So we’re valuable to TNT in that sense.”

Rather than just tack on the extra episodes, Duff and his writing staff crafted a “five-parter” to unspool during February sweeps. “We thought, Why not push ourselves to do a bigger story? So we’re doing that, and it will take five episodes to tell it.” Duff exhaustively detailed the compelling arc for TVLine, but in short: A horrific double-homicide is discovered to have been committed using a gun from a 12-year-old string of high-profile murders, including those of a cop and a district attorney. The arc will, in part, introduce us to Detective Lieutenant Tao’s former partner, whose career was ruined by the messy case.

But before we get to the major-crimes-provenza-patrice“additional five” (as Duff calls them), the Mary McDonnell-fronted series’ fall run is upon us, kicking off tonight at 9/8c. And it packs its own punches.

“The first episode is pretty wild,” Duff says, depositing as it does an SUV full of freshly slain “one tenth-of-one percenters” on an ER’s doorstep. “As Provenza (played by GW Bailey) says, ‘It’s like the beginning of a James Bond movie.'”

Also on tap is “a very odd episode” in which a murder occurs during the filming of a reality-TV series, when a dysfunctional couple’s car drives straight off a cliff during a scavenger hunt — and only one emerges from the wreckage alive.

Elsewhere amid the run, “Provenza is getting engaged, probably, to Patrice (played by Dawnn Lewis),” while Sanchez’s (Raymond Cruz) still-festering anger issues will move him to “confront the doctor he blames for his wife’s death,” Duff shares. Rusty (Graham Patrick Martin), hoping to make his new “Identity” series about the man who killed Alice Herrera, will lobby a judge for the opportunity to interview Slider (“the villain who has appeared more than any other on our series,” Duff notes, “played by the amazing Garrett Coffey”).

The twist that fans are major-crimes-flynn-provenzaperhaps most abuzz about, though, involves an injury Flynn (Tony Dennison) suffers during the first episode, and which he will need these next eight episodes to recuperate from — all whilst crashing at Sharon’s condo. Heh.

Is Duff being shameless with this abrupt shack-up? Sorta. But no. “You can file this under ‘How Do I Accelerate This Relationship in an Organic Way,'” he says, pointing out that the injury storyline was on the drawing board before Andy and Sharon started to be played as a possible pairing.

As for what sort of patient Andy is, Duff laughs, “He’s a typical male, trying to tough it out without mentioning his side effects. He doesn’t want to present himself as a boyfriend and as a patient. That’s not his idea of sexy, or romantic.” Alas, his keeping quiet about his true progress will result in “very serious health issues,” Duff warns.

Because of this year’s scheduling,”We do have a Thanksgiving episode (airing Nov. 23), but our Christmas episode is not as Christmassy as we usually do,” Duff says. “But we do have a Christmas party at the end of our fall finale. And then in the winter we come back [with three episodes], and our five-parter is out there on its own,” in February.

Watch a sneak peek from the Nov. 2 episode of Major Crimes, “Four of a Kind”:

Want more scoop on Major Crimes, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mo says:

Thank you for the scoop! I can’t wait to see what all Major Crimes has in store for the winter season!

2. johnhelvete says:

5 part story line sounds like a great idea to deal with the 5 extra episodes.

3. Kadi says:

That was a great piece! Thanks so much! I am so excited for the return of Major Crimes!

4. ProfTweety says:

Thank you, Matt, for posting this! I’m so intrigued by the upcoming storylines and so frakking happy that #MajorCrimes is returning tonight and for an extended season at that. WooHoo! The Flynn injury storyline arcing over so many episodes is definitely something to look forward to; not for the injury itself but rather for the potential exploration of so many areas of his life (including #Shandy). I’m looking forward to Mary McDonnell and Tony Denison bringing these scenes to life each Monday, as well as, the rest of the cast, of course. Thanks again for the article!

5. Major Crimes is back and with such a great storylines that will blow us all away! Can’t wait to see what they had in storage for us this time. Thanks for sneak peek! That was awesome!!

• Jeri says:

My guide (Comcast) is showing this as the 4th episode, thought I somehow missed the first few. Glad to see it is the 1st.

6. Angelina says:

Thank you for all the new info!! I’m so excited for the winter episodes!

7. Whatevah says:

Yay for me! I love this show.

8. bluemunkie says:

Great piece!!! Thank you for all the insight!!! I may or may not have fangirled on some of the deets shared!!!!!!

9. Katie RoseS says:

Thanks for the scoop! So excited for the return of my favorite show tonight, and especially for the Sharon/Andy storyline.

10. DRB999 says:

It’s criminal how underrated Major Crimes is. It’s one of the best shows on tv.

11. Adrienne says:

Love this article!!! TONIGHT MAJOR CRIMES IS BACK!!!! Whoohoo!!

12. Bárbara Godoi says:

OH MY GOD, it’s just SO exciting, I can’t wait to see my show back tonight. They are the best and James is a genius. Thank you for all the news and these amazing sneak peeks!!!!!!

13. Sara says:

Thanks a lot for this really interesting article. Can’t wait for tonight!!!

14. Nancy Lafuente says:

Looks exciting, and the Captain is keeping her cool, as usual.

15. Thank you so much for this insightful article!!! We really can’t wait to watch the show tonight, and hopefully more scoops from you! <3

16. ” ‘It’s like the beginning of a James Bond movie.’ ” if I wasn’t enough curious before now the last hours before the premiere are gonna be harder! Thanks for all the info Matt… can’t wait!!!!!!

17. percysowner says:

I’m so glad this is back. I really hope they get a season 5 (and beyond) renewal.

18. Amanda says:

Counting down the minutes to tonight’s episode, can’t wait for the episode tonight and all the upcoming episodes. Major Crimes and one other show (remaining nameless) are the only two episodes I watch as they air.

19. Jules says:

I am so excited for Major Crimes to return! My fave show! Thanks for the scoop! Very much appreciated!
    Looks like the second half of this season will be a bit more about the characters and not mainly about the cases which I would be very happy about. So curious what will happen to Flynn and how him and Sharon living together will change their relationship. I hope we’ll get to learn more about Sharon in the process, there is still so much we don’t know and she is just such a fascinating character!
    Also really excited about the 5 epi story line! Yay!

20. Toni says:

Finally Major Crimes is back. Really looking forward to the Flynn arc and how the captain and Flynn progress. One of the few remaining great shows on TV. I hope renewal for season 5 is not to far away.

21. Chester says:

I will curl up in a ball and cry if they cancel this series. They need to Provenza and Flynn on the air, no matter what.

22. Kristen says:

I think it’s safe to say we were all really excited about this hiatus being over, but this article took the excitement to a whole new level. I can’t wait to see how Andy and Sharon handle everything that is bound to come their way. Thank you for this!

23. liam5794 says:

Please please please bring Brenda and Phillip Stroh back Thank yoooooooo. Then we can finally wrap that serial killer story line up for good.. plus it would just be so darn nice to have an epiisode or 2 with the woman who started it all.

24. DeQuana says:

Thank you so much for this. I really enjoyed the insight into the upcoming season!! Thank you for all that you do!

25. @Melinda_Ak says:

Thanks for the great scope and sneak peaks into the up coming episodes of Major Crimes!! Sounds like the rest of the season will be as amajzng as the first half was!! Really hope we get many more articles!!

26. GeoDiva says:

Glad it is back! I hope we get are usual Flynn & Provenza comedic episode! I love them!

27. amie says:

i think that shack is sorta shameless, yes ;) not sure how organic it’ll come across! but i do trust Mary McD to make it *feel* natural, at least. Wish they’d gone with a less forced plot than ‘Flynn needs to recover at Sharon’s house’ to make them grow closer, though! It feels awkward. Hope it plays better than it sounds.

28. Shamiqu says:

That was so interesting I will be watching it tonight

29. Citygirl says:

This is one of THE best TV series on a non-major network channel. Keep the episodes coming!!

30. smartysenior says:

The first season of Murder In The First was great. The second season was just awful. I still can’t figure out why they ruined it. I think part of why this show works so well is because it is consistent in tone and characters. For that reason I really wish they wouldn’t put a love story in it, especially between work associates. It was going so well with established relationships and well oiled work partnerships solving crimes with smarts and aplomb. This is how you lose a show, you start messing with it and turning it into a soapy mess where it was a smart crime of the week with great actors.

31. Susan says:

Happy news for once!!! Love Major Crimes!!!

32. Louis E. says:

I have already given up on Major Crimes because I positively can’t stand Rusty.

33. I so enjoy Major Crimes! I am glad that they are having more episodes..TNT’s seasons are TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!