Greatest American Hero Reboot

Greatest American Hero Comedy Reboot Snags Pilot Order at Fox

Believe it or not, Fox is taking another stab at rebooting Greatest American Hero.

The network has made a pilot commitment for a half-hour, single-camera comedy inspired by the 1980s cult classic, Deadline reports. Dope auteur Rick Famuyiwa is writing and directing the pilot, with Last Man on Earth‘s Phil Lord and Chris Miller on board as EPs.

A Greatest American Hero revival was in development at Fox last year, with Rodney Rothman (Undeclared) at the helm, but the project did not move forward.

The original series ran for three seasons on ABC.

1. Jake says:

Oh dear god, please NO!

2. Jennifer says:

That’s it. They are officially out of ideas in Hollywood. Nothing but reboots, prequels, sequels, comics … NEW BLOOD!!! Please.

3. Elf says:

I started rolling my eyes until I saw the Lord and Miller were involved. That’ll keep me from completely dismissing this. If they could resurrect 21 Jump Street into two movies that each made a fortune, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt here. Consider my eyes unrolled.

• Wordsmith says:

Exactly – they’ve made a career out of taking ideas that sound terrible and turning them into amazing entertainment.

4. dancmh says:

Saddest thing I’ve read all day.

5. Believe it or not, they’re out of ideas

• grazelled says:

Believe it or not, was that intentionally funny…lol. Good one if it was to use the theme song from the show, I’m walking on air…That song is one the better things about the show.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

This should be another disaster for Fox.

7. Lyn says:

For pity’s sake, don’t change the gender or the race. if they must continue to recycle, hopefully they won’t make it a “son/daughter of GAH” either.

• Shona says:

The gender/race swapping is the only thing making some of these reboots interesting, IMO. Or rather, it was. Now everything seems to be getting remade with a gender twist, typical hollywood overkill. Find something people seem to like and beat it to death until its hated. And I can’t get the darn theme song out of my head now, never thought I could feel so freeeeeeeeeeee!

8. Cassie says:

Will Jason Alexander sing the theme song?

9. kmw says:

Seriously the people at FOX really thinks this is a good idea? Wow just stupid, enough of reboots.

10. KC says:

No, please don’t do this. That was one of my favorite shows – it can never be redone.

11. Barbara says:

Hollywood is just plain lazy now with all these reboots! Ugh.

12. BostonGreekGirl says:

Here’s what I don’t get. The networks keep canceling good shows like Constantine, Forever, Warehouse 13, Leverage and so on only to bring back (reboot) shows we’ve already seen. Why not try to actually keep good shows on instead of rebooting old shows. I guess maybe logic doesn’t really matter in Hollywood

13. MiaB says:

I don’t remember this show being a hit when it originally aired. Why would you do it all over again?

14. Luis says:

I cannot believe I was thinking last week, “it’s only a matter of time before The Greatest American Hero gets rebooted”

15. herman1959 says:

OH NO. The original show was corny; let’s just say this is a joke.

16. Larc says:

When you don’t have the talented people to come up with good ideas that are original, this is the sort of thing you have to resort to.

17. mike says:

oh c’mon. If there was ever a time for a catastrophic quake to hit California this is it. Just get all the hot actresses out first. Leave the writers, and/or the morons making these absolutely terrible ideas