Hawaii Five-0 Spoilers

Five-0 Halloween Has Frankenstein, Vampires and (Eek!) Teenagers

For Halloween this year, CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 set out to scare up an especially fun batch of thrills and chills.

“We always do [a Halloween-themed episode] — the thing is, how do you do one that stands out?” asks showrunner Peter M. Lenkov. “Usually, we do one story, and here we did two sort of familiar stories but with our spin on it. We wanted to go all out and make this one more of an event.”

The pair of well-trod tales H50 riffs on tonight at 9/8c, directed as is tradition by Joe Dante (Gremlins), are Frankenstein and his monster, plus a stab at vampires.

The seemingly improbable first mystery is bright to life when McGarrett gets wind of random body parts found strewn around the island. Coming as they do from individual bodies, the obvious, ominous question becomes: What is being done with the bits that were not discarded? “Somebody’s keeping certain body parts, so you’re wondering: What is he building?” says Lenkov. “Max and ultimately McGarrett comeHawaii Five-0 to the conclusion that they’re chasing a ‘Dr. Frankenstein'” in the form of a haunted widower with a “dark” agenda. “We tried to root this story in reality, as crazy as it is,” the EP says.

Elsewhere, a robbery at a blood bank invite spooky speculation — championed by Jerry, no surprise — that vampires are among us.

Danny meanwhile deals with his own kind of nightmare — as a teenage girl’s father — when his trick-or-treating date with still-hospiatlized Charlie is interrupted by the realization that Grace’s Halloween plans are not what they seemed.

“Grace sort of lies to her mom and goes to a party in the North Shore with a bunch of kids older than her,” Lenkov previews. “Danny goes to get her, and they then getHawaii Five-0 into their own little spooky adventure. In the end, it’s something that brings them closer together.” (And worry not, young Charlie gets a make-good on first-time trick-or-treating with his dad. Notes Lenkov, ‘The show works well when we wear our heart on our sleeve, so it has that kind of happy ending.”)

Surveying the Halloween outing’s many pieces, Lenkov says, “It’s a mix of everything — humor mixed with action mixed with the sentimental stuff. It’s scary when it takes itself seriously, but it is also funny in other parts. It’s 43 minutes I hope people can’t take their eyes off of.”

Want more scoop on H50, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop about new Halloween episode. Excited to watch the episode!

2. KatieKatt says:

This may be the first truly enjoyable episode of the season since the first three were a waste of time and last week’s was a letdown.

• Nona says:

Why you always criticize the show? I have seen this pattern from you.

• Shaun says:

Because it is weak and deserves criticism?

• eunice says:

Because she has an opinion and wants to share it? What does it matter to you? Are you one of those super fans who insist on only good things being said about your show? This season has been weak so far but I always love the Halloween episodes so I’m looking forward to it.

• Nananina says:

I agree with Nona, | never see bad things in a show I just enjoy it for what it is. just entertainment like it suppose to be.

• Em Cooper says:

Count me in with the both of you. If I don’t like a show, it’s real easy–i don’t watch it. I certainly don’t go back week after week to talk down a show I hate, where there are fans who do like it. This isn’t “criticism” when you keep repeating the same stuff over and over–sometimes EVEN before the show had aired. I don’t believe anyone is forcing you to watch a show you obviously dislike, learn how to operate your remote and turn the damn channel…..

• eunice says:

I don’t see anything on the comment rule list saying too can’t have a negative opinion but we are supposed to talk smart TV so can you all stop jumping on someone for daring to not be enjoying the season so far? Her comment wasn’t rude or nasty she was expressing hope that this would be a good episode.

• christine says:

you are so lucky to be able to watch season 6 it is such a good show so don’t complain just enjoy it the episodes this season aren’t to good so far there is a long way to go yet it might get better to many people on the team this season it was better with
          just the original four of them

3. Rae says:

I hope Max has another Keanu Reeves costume! I love H50 Halloween episodes…can’t wait!

4. Lee says:

Thanks for the preview of tonight’s episode. Between this and the promo I’ve seen, it looks like a great Halloween episode.

5. Bill says:

And this will be only 1 hour? Seems like a lot of content squashed in a small frame

6. Trucker says:

As a father of a 12 year old daughter I understand. You want them to stay your little princess forever, but as my wife told me the other day she’s growing up. I almost cried.

7. Grace says:

Thank you for the scoop on tonight’s episode! I can’t wait to see Danny with both of his kids. He’s my fav so I’m excited to see him getting to know Charlie–and dealing with the fact that Grace is a teenager. Poor Danny!

8. Stacy says:

Error? I think that sentence is supposed to read, “brought to life”.
    The ep looks fun, and it’s the kind they do well. I like that Danny’s back and we’ll get to see his kids. This should be an episode that uses Jerry where he shines, too.

9. Shannon says:

Isn’t Scott Caan leaving the show Ausiello’s blind item? ;)

• Nananina says:

Who said Scott Caan is leaving the show? Is it official?

• Grace says:

I admit, I worried about the same thing when I read that blind item! This show would not work without Steve and Danny’s dynamic. They can’t kill Danno, especially now that he has two kids. Plus Steve would fall apart if anything happened to Danny.

• Carol says:

I think there are a few people (a very few) who post bad information just to stir things up – so sad they have nothing better to do.

10. christine says:

Sarah carters first episode as Lynn next week ln I hope for her sake it goes well or she will have the same negativity that Catherine had if the ratings are low for that episodeiexpect she will get blamed for that as well