Post Mortems
Grimm Season 5 Spoilers Nick Adalind Romance

Grimm Premiere: Claire Coffee and David Giuntoli on Wesen War, Brutal Birth and a Nick/Adalind 'Slow Burn'

Warning: This post contains spoilers from Grimm‘s Season 5 premiere.

Welcome to the world, Kelly Burkhardt: Too bad you arrived just as the monsters are about to take over.

That’s a quick take on Grimm‘s Season 5 premiere, an hour in which: Trubel was kidnapped, Agent Chavez was killed by a mysterious Wesen faction, Nick and Adalind’s son was born, and Meisner was revealed (to the audience only) as having worked with Chavez… and therefore against Nick.

TVLine chatted with the actors playing the new parents — stars David Giuntoli and Claire Coffee — about the Wesen war ahead and what happens when a former Hexenbiest and a grieving Grimm decide to make a go of it as mom and dad.

TVLINE | What does Nick think he knows/doesn’t know after Chavez dies?
GIUNTOLI | Nick has really no idea where to go after Chavez dies. She was his only lead. But when the phone rings, well, someone’s calling Chavez who knows Chavez, so this must be the guy!

Grimm Season 5 Spoilers NIck Adalind

TVLINE | The scratches on the wall, Chavez saying, “It’s war” — are leading to a season-long arc about the rise of the Wesen. What can you tease about how that will play out?
GIUNTOLI | It’s almost like a global uprising of Wesen, and they are breaking all the rules. They are thumbing their noses at all of the Wesen traditions, which are: Chill out, keep a low profile and we won’t get killed… They’re like, “To hell with trying to behave.” It is a global threat, and there’s no limit at which they will stop… The Scooby Gang and other groups that you will meet throughout the season are going to be tasked with squashing this uprising.

TVLINE | Adalind is no longer Wesen. When she becomes aware of what’s happening with the uprising, does she feel any pull to side with the Wesen? Or is she fully on the team with Nick?
COFFEE | She is not interested in becoming a hexenbiest at all again. She’s on Nick’s side and striking up a relationship, like a friendship, with Rosalee. She’s not part of the Scoobie squad, but she’s definitely endearing herself to the Portland crew.

TVLINE | As she heads into the birth, Adalind really doesn’t have much going for her. She’s very alone.
COFFEE | The going-into labor scene was initially slated for Season 4. It was the last day of production, my last day of work. [Editor’s note: Coffee ended up not shooting the scene that day, due to a hospitalization related to her real-life pregnancy.] I was totally fine, obviously. Everything was fine. I was so happy to get to shoot all of that after I’d actually had the baby. I could do a much more convincing acting job, and I was like, “OK, I don’t have to worry about any of the bad juju surrounding this experience.” Adalind had the most hair-raising, dramatic birth situation, but mine was good. [Laughs] We’re cool.

[As for Adalind], every time you think she’s at her lowest point… it’s like, “Oh no no, it still can get a little bit lower.” She has this baby, she has no one. She’s forced to rely on people she has wronged so many times in the past.

TVLINE | The post-birth scene was one of the least sentimental I’ve ever seen on TV.
COFFEE | [Laughs] I’m glad it comes across that way. What Adalind has gone through is trumped only by what Nick has gone through at that point.
GIUNTOLI | I know you have to take liberties for drama, but 24 hours ago, he found his mother’s head, the love of his life died in his arms and Trubel was kidnapped. So Claire and I were really working against, “Hey there’s a new romance!” We wanted to slow burn that thing. So yes, it was not very sentimental. [Laughs] You know your life is busy when the birth of your son is fifth on the list of things you have to do that day.

TVLINE | As time goes on, does Nick feel more of an affinity for the baby?
GIUNTOLI | Of course. He does. You’re going to see a lot of diaper-changing gags… Nick moves the hell out of the house. That’s a big spoiler. He’s done with it. The trailer’s gone, Juliette’s gone, his mom’s gone, get me the hell out of this house. My neighbors really despise me, I’m sure. His new instinct is protect this baby, and protect Adalind, who is also protecting this baby… There’s a scene that’s going to be like the beginning of The Beverly Hillbillies where everything’s packed up on the carriage: Adalind, baby, crossbow.

TVLINE | There’s a moment where she says “Don’t hate me.” Does he?
GIUNTOLI | It’s like, “Listen woman, I’ll figure this out as I go. I’ve got to deal with some other things.”
COFFEE | The season is non-stop. So Adalind and Nick, they are roommates and their relationship changes almost 180 degrees with raising this child. Both being in such dire straits, they’re relying on each other. I do think Nick, the thing that allows him to let her in in any way because he feels like a different person, he feels so empty, losing his mother, losing Juliette, feeling betrayed by Juliette, he has his buddies but when you go through such an enormous tragedy, you just feel a little alienated from everybody. I think that allows them to empathize with one another and work on raising this baby. They’re teammates, for sure.

What did you think of the episode? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. steven says:

Who names their son Kelly? It should’ve just been Kel.

2. Lee says:

It would have been a much better show if Adalind & the birth hadn’t been a part of it at all. Not a good idea! But I’m happy that Trubel is still going to be a part of the story. Trubel and the rest of Nick’s team are great! I just can’t stand Adalind.

• Alichat says:

Yeah….I don’t know how I feel about this season. I am not a fan of this path they are taking with Nick and Adalind. I have always hated her character. She bores me.

• Mary says:

Adalind is an awesome character and I’m so happy the writers have found a way to keep her around. Juliette is the character that has always bored me.

• Troy says:

Oh i´m pretty sure that Adalind and Nick will find a way of hook up.. Because they´re potentially the couple with more possibilities for make us feel at last a little of emotion. Juliette´s story was always bored as the hell. Ugh, i think that the writers tried make her a little more interesting for a while, after the disaster of Season 2 with all the stuff of her amnesia and her affaire with Renard: so horrible…and then they make her learn how shoot, etc, but these things did not work. Adalind in change, was always so bold, villain and now good that i´m so happy of this new season 5. i just am watching it again by Adalind and Nick´s story. i don´t care a damn about Juliette´s drama. she just turned Nick in a lapdog.

• Melinda says:

I agree. Why does this show think that rape is no big deal and a baby changes everything? I guess because it is just easier (re: lazier) to go this route…. ugh!

• Bitterexfan says:

Totally agree with you, can’t stand the way the child was conceived, glad I DVR the show so I can fast forward through the entire baby BS!!!!

• Johnny Shepp says:

I can’t stand her either. She’s the reason Julliette is a hexenbiest.

3. Shaun says:

They dumped a lot of info on Nick,poor guy struggling to care about any of it besides finding Trubel.

4. James D says:

I really enjoyed it. I will miss Bitsie for sure. as annoying as Juliet was I thought Bitsie did some very nice work on this show. I will say I find the Nick and Adalind relationship fascinating cant wait to see where it goes considering their history it certainly makes for an interesting dynamic.

• Troy says:

Oh THAT IS THE WORD: fascinating…imagine if you could to love to your worst enemie….that´s a great story, not problem with Bitsie, was her role, Juliette who was horrible, bland, bored and useless.

5. Jo Ann West says:

I want Juliette back! I though maybe she is still alive and was in the cell that Charvez visited, when the little window opened.

• Alichat says:

That was my first thought as well especially since Bitsie’s name was still in the opening credits. (That was odd) But once Meisner stepped out of the shadows, I wondered if Diana is in that cell.

• Carla Krae says:

She was credited just because we see her in the opening. It’s a legality.

• Alichat says:

Yes, but she could have been credited as a guest just to cover the legality of showing her flashbacks and her lying in a coffin. Her name was in the opening credits as a series regular. So since this is a supernatural show, I thought they might do a resurrection somehow. But like I said, once I saw Meisner, my thinking went to it being Diana in the cell.

• Carla Krae says:

No, they’ve all been confirming hat Juliette is very dead.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

OH HELL NO! Thank god she’s gone……..Anyhow this was an intense episode loved every min. it!!!!!! As much as I can’t stand Adalind’s ass idk….I’m starting think meh I guess she’s alright……for now. But I like how she named the baby after Nick’s mom even tho. it’s a boy, it’s a good honor. A++++++

• suzyku says:

They said Juliette is “dead”, “gone” for good! Hope this won’t be another thing like bring back Ziva or Zack! Get over it already!!!!

• Ariel Evangeline says:

Oh i don’t miss Juliette at all. Nick just grown up as character with her gone. JULIETTE was bland and boring as the hell. Zero chemistry with Nick. Season 2 was a kind of torture with all her roll of her amnesia and Nick crying by everywhere…ugh…i hope je can reach a good relationship with Adalind. Coffee and Giuntoli make jump sparks. Too much CheesyLand with Juliette…she was just interesting as villain.

6. Nicole says:

It seems like perhaps Chavez needed a grimm to help protect the group against the uprising.

7. Urnakedcellmate says:

Wasn’t feeling this season premiere. Too much Adaline (I wish she would go away). No to mention once again Nick flys off the handle again for a while and that’s getting old. Hopefully the episodes get better but that’s just my opinion.

8. Lizo says:

I just can’t get over the fact that the writers have used the mystical pregnancy trope *twice* for the same female character. They really have no idea how to write stories for women. It’s glaringly obvious now which Angel & Buffy stories Greenwalt had a hand in.

• Isobel says:

True, this one might have been necessary to write in somehow given the actress actually was pregnant but Diana was rather unnecessary, I would’ve focused on the keys and connected the royals through them

• Lianne says:

TRUTH!!

• Melinda says:

And the fact that they 2nd mystical pregnancy was because she raped a guy and then, months and months later, found herself pregnant.

The show did a bad job with this–the material is questionable, to say the least, but the execution was horrible. The timeline didn’t make any sense (she didn’t find out she was pregnant until about 7 months after she raped Nick?) and then she goes from finding out she’s pregnant to pretty much ready to pop in 3 episodes? Really?

It’s lazy and the viewers deserve better.

• Troy says:

That is all what you have? continue saying as a parrot that Adalind raped Nick? this argument sucks…and does not go to anywhere, she did not raped him, just said a lie and slept with him. Welcome to Century XXI.

• Bitterexfan says:

Ew really, I’m guessing you’re a fan of Adalind so you’ll just hand waive disgusting behavior!!!

• KLGChaos says:

Um, rape by deception is a thing. So, if I go to your house and pretend to be you and sleep with your wife/girlfriend without her actual consent, then it’s not rape? You’ve got issues, my misogynistic friend.

9. Hodan says:

I loved this episode. It setup a lot things perfectly. I am glad Juliette is dead. I can’t wait to see how Adalind is added to the scooby gang.

10. KayCeeCee says:

I’m so glad Grimm is back! The big bad in season one was the Captain, and he is now one of the good guys, so I am okay with Adalind joining the team. Redemption stories make for good tv.
    I like that the writers have left the door open for Juliet’s possible return some time in the future.

11. Rachel says:

Loved the episode. I actually don’t mind adalind, something I never thought I’d say.

12. Ben says:

“Scoring gang”? Like on Buffy?

I guess this means Monroe is Scooby..,

13. Bill white says:

Is this the age of Adelind? Go team Grimm.

14. Greg says:

Good shows gone bad. Go ahead and make it so I don’t care what happens to anyone then wonder why you lose another million viewers

15. Ariel Evangeline says:

I am so happy with the new team of Nick and Adalind!!! I have been waiting 5 years for watch it!! Really is something so unpredictable and new…Nick being an Adalind’s friend. Is a new direction that the show is taking. Adalind is an amazing character with a lot of faces, she’s able of to be a villain, a mother, and a new colleage for the Scooby Gang in time. She is like Nick’s love trailer…a lot of knowledhe she has of Wesen world. Adalind’s last scene with Kelly and Nick was like a different person. I want see her pairing with Nick. We need see chemistry in Grimm.

16. A Bacchini says:

Sooo glad Juliette is dead! She was annoying. Too bad about Nick’s mother; I liked her. I hope Nick does NOT get together with Adalind other than to help with the baby. How could he possibly forget what a witch she was? I hope Trubel comes back for a larger part in the story. She is the only really interesting female character now that Mom is gone. In any case, I’m very happy that Grimm is back.

17. Melinda says:

I’m sorry, but this show just completely forget that Adalind raped Nick (and Hank…)? How on earth is putting the two of them in a relationship even remotely acceptable?

18. Jeannette says:

This whole mess started because of Adalind, now she’s having his child, I don’t see how he can forgive her; I don’t see how any of them can forgive her. I can see Nick loving his baby, and being there for his child, but Adalind only cordial because she’s the baby’s mother.

19. Jeannette says:

? Is this baby going to have powers.

20. tsevca says:

Well, I was hoping they move out of the house, they would disapoint me if they didn´t. It was Juliette´s house. There must be some relative to inherit it. And even if there wasn´t, living in her house with Adalind and the child they conceived, when Nick and Juliette were still together… Juliette ended up a bitch that deserved it, but still…

• Molly says:

Adalind was a fun villain but she is the one who bores me as a love interest. Her and Nick have zero on screen chemistry. It seems a bit preposterous that he doesn’t seem resentful that Addy caused the whole mess with Jules to begin with. This whole relationship has seemed contrived and is ruining this season for me. I’m already over this almost pairing.

• Johnny Shepp says:

How did Julliette deserve that? She never did a thing to Adalind.

21. Bitterexfan says:

Really glad I DVR so I can fast forward everything relating to the baby, too bad they rewrote Adalind into a milkbag, she was an awesome villain with some much evil potential!! Hope that Trubel comes back in a big way.

22. Rin says:

Adalind is one those characters you love to hate, but you hate to love. I feel like her character has done a tremendous amount of growth. At first I despised the idea of nick/adalind romance but now that I think about it, it kinda make sense. the whole nick and Juliet thing was never a hit to me, I think it’s because they are a couple in real life and usually that doesn’t translate in camera. Adalind and nick had always one thing in common and that is hate. I mean I can kinda understand Adelind for tricking nick and seducing him as an act of revenge for her daughter, she is a witch lol. I’m for it, I think it would be a nice change of paced seeing as nick will eventually have to deal with his son being half wisen

23. PThompson says:

Adalind deserves to be loved and yes by NICK. Due to every one that she loved was taken away from her. as she stated in the last season while standing over her mother’s grave when pregnant with Nick’s baby that she will be a better mother to this baby. I hope that she and Nick will be a couple, they share a lot in common and not just a baby. Besides Juliette knew the consequences of what will happen to her if she takes the formula that will transformed her into Adalind so that she can help Nick to become a Grimm again.

24. Kimba says:

I love seeing Adalind and Nick together, bring on their romance! It will put a fresh spin and create great excitement into the show!

25. Ren mendoza says:

Relationship of nick and adalind is in a good way. Like not all bad ones are really bad. Would love to see their relationship blooms and discover that love finds in a mysterious ways.

26. Johnny Shepp says:

Has everybody forgotten that Adalind is the cause of all Julliette’s problems!! From the moment she set up Juliette to be bitten by that possessed cat which caused Julliette to lose her memory. Then she creates a spell and turns into Julliette and sleeps with Nick and if that weren’t enough, she gets pregnant. When Julliette tried to reverse the spell, she turned into a hexenbiest and her whole personality changed too. She became evil. Sorry fans, but I’m not feeling this relationship at all. If it weren’t for Adalind, Nicks mother would be alive and so would Julliette. And now Nick blames Julliette for his mother’s death when the truth is, Adalind is at the root of it all. I hope Kelly is really Julliettes’s baby since it was Julliettes body she was inhabiting when she got pregnant.

27. Toni Garcia says:

I don’t like Adalind. So pardon me if I don’t give a moment’s thought to the child birth. I am still so sad about Nick and Juliette and cannot get past the fact that it is now impossible for them to be together even if Juliette becomes normal again. Although Nick still loves Juliette, her death gave him closure, sort of. Thus he was able to move on and leave the house he shared with Juliette. But I so don’t like the thought of something romantic going on with Adalind and Nick. Better that Nick doesnt have a love life. Let him just be the Grimm, which is the whole point of the series. But I like Adalind with Renard. I’m rooting for them. They are so suited to each other.