Arrow Constantine Crossover

Constantine Visits Arrow: A Surprising Link, Oliver vs. Laurel and More Teasers

What do you do when your recently resurrected ex-girlfriend has turned into a feral killer? Call Constantine, of course!

Next Wednesday’s Arrow (The CW, 8/7c) finds Oliver reaching out to his old buddy (played by Matt Ryan) for help, and we’re sharing some teasers after viewing the special crossover installment.

First of all, the way that the former NBC player is incorporated into the CW series is surprisingly seamless — and suffice to say, he leaves behind a mark.

Read on for scoop on Constantine’s guest spot, Oliver and Laurel’s relationship, a dynamic new duo and more.

* Oliver and Constantine’s first scene takes place under unexpected and tense circumstances.

* While the purpose of the exorcist’s appearance is to help restore Sara’s soul, he also has a connection to two other storylines. In related news: Constantine gives Oliver a parting gift of sorts — and a warning.

Arrow Constantine Crossover* Oliver and Laurel have a much overdue and heated conversation about all the secret-keeping they’ve both done and the state of their friendship.

* Earlier this month, executive producer Wendy Mericle hinted at an unlikely partnership between Diggle and Lance. “We will have some cool things where Dig and Lance find themselves on the other side of Oliver, going on independent missions,” she teased. This week, viewers will get the first taste of that.

* Naturally, finding and helping Sara is the first priority, so romance takes a backseat in the episode. But Oliver and Felicity do have a nice talk about the people they’ve lost.

Arrow Constantine Crossover

* Do not mess with post-Lazarus Pit Sara. Seriously. Just stay away. Especially if you’re Thea.

* For a Bad Man, Damien Darhk sure does provide a lot of helpful answers.

* Those flashbacks that my colleague Matt Mitovich is not a fan of actually feel significant and have purpose this week!

* There is so much action in the episode that about halfway through, I realized I’d forgotten all about Parker Young (Suburgatory), who’s introduced as a political strategist toward the beginning of the hour. “Wow, that feels like ages ago,” I thought. (He eventually popped back up to remind me Ryan Shay is still good looking.)

* Did you know the new lair has a P.A. system? (Oliver is so regretting it.) We’ll also get a peek at the suh-weet garage.

Excited about the Arrow-Constantine mashup? Hit the comments!

1. It would be cool if moving forward the show incorporated more storylines from the Green Arrow comics. Now that Constantine showed up and brought magic with him into this world, that opens the door for the Kevin Smith arc in which Oliver dies and he comes across Stanley and his Monster.

2. Jason. P says:

This show needs to incorporate more Black Canary and Green Arrow, dynamic even if its not romantic..those two have no relationship at all and given their comic history they’re suppose to be so much better than that.

• A says:

If Amell had any chemistry whatsoever with Cassidy, I’d agree…….but right now even them working together is unwatchable.

• James says:

I wholeheartedly agree…even them zip lining together lacked chemistry.

• K says:

In their defense, they didn’t try to create any. Oliver appeared to think he was carrying a small side of beef and Laurel seemed to be stepping on to an elevator. No eye contact, no urgency, no zing.

• Evan says:

HA! “carrying a small side of beef” and “stepping onto an elevator” made me genuinely laugh out loud. Agreed.

• Rob Watkins says:

What does this even mean?

• amb1973 says:

People have such short memories. Oliver was basically in love with Laurel in the first season and they spent plenty of time together onscreen…and it was a disaster. Pretty much every critic, not to mention the studio and network, noted the total lack of chemistry. I’d go as far as calling it anti-chemistry.

To be fair, chemistry is not an actor’s fault. It’s there or it’s not. And between those two actors, it’s not.

• Marni says:

They probably bath in alcohol after that scene.

• anna says:

I agree and it sucks. Sara and Oliver fighting side by side always looked great, but Laurel and Oliver–everything is flat.

• Marni says:

This is one of the reasons LL is unconvincing as BC. Sara is the perfect canary,imho. We’ve got lots of great Arrow/Canary in season 2. BC/GA in Arrow have too much negative vibes to convince people that they can work well together. The actors don’t even try to hide it. Sad but true.

• basia demi says:

that’s funny and very true

• Jason. P says:

Do you people not understand “chemistry” is mostly a product of writing? of course you see more chemistry with felicity when her character was writing as cute and bubbly.

• A says:

Oh you’re one of those people, eh? If Cassidy and Amell did have chemistry, my guess is you wouldn’t think that was a product of the writing. Felicity was crying for a lot of season 3, but she still had more chemistry with Oliver than season 1/2/3/4 Laurel.

• tvjunkie says:

That doesn’t really matter, with regard to Jason’s point. The writing for the Laurel character on this show has been pretty bad and frequently seems to be treated as an afterthought by the writers. I think the poor writing is the most significant reason she has the appearance of being unpopular. There just isn’t much good material/storyline to grasp on to for that character. A lot of those that don’t like her I think don’t like her because they can’t separate the Laurel character from the poor writing. The potential is there for her to be a great character, if the writers could ever figure out how to write for her.

• amb1973 says:

It doesn’t help that she stands there with her arms crossed and glaring at everyone in every other scene. Watch 4.4 when the elevator goes down. Why so angry, Laurel? Do elevators just massively piss you off?

• Daniela says:

It’s not.. Oliver and Felicity had chemistry when they weren’t supposed to have any, when she was one episode character..

• James says:

Yes the writing has an effect on chemistry, no chemistry is not ‘mostly produced by writing’. When casting directors do screen tests with 2 actors they’re looking for chemistry. If there’s no chemistry to base the writing on, there’s not going to be any chemistry as a result. Amell and Cassidy have less chemistry than the amount of times I’ve written chemistry in this paragraph, so seeing the 2 of them together just doesn’t work.

• Liz says:

They do need to repair their relationship but watching SA and KC together is like watching paint dry. I always find it so hard to believe they were ever together in a romantic relationship at all. Just plain awful. I think it would be better to leave the GA/BC stuff to stunts and field work mainly.

• basia demi says:

exactly

• Lizzie says:

Yup! But that was the problem from the get go. SA & KC chemistry was not very interesting or enticing. THAT’s why everyone latched on to the Oliver & Felicity relationship so quickly because SA & Emily did have chemistry and it was that chemistry that we all longed for. However as much as KC seems like a cool person and her character is getting some good stories she just falls flat when it comes to overall chemistry.

• Tasha says:

Agreed. Last season at dig’s wedding when Laurel and Oliver where talking Laurel actually flinched when he touched her arm to ask how she hurt her wrist. She only cracked a smile when Felicity walked over. Every hug seems forced. Even in behind the scenes and interviews with those two seem dry. Part of me wonders if it has anything to do with SA being so pro EBR Being his leading lady. On the other hand Felicity and Oliver had obvious chemistry from day one. I remember David Ramsey stating how tense n stressed amell was going into the first season of this show so to know that his smile upon meeting her was unplanned and genuine is really sweet.

• Lisa says:

Exactly! Watching them onscreen, it’s hard to believe they were ever close friends at one point let alone had a romantic relationship. And your ‘watching paint dry’ comment made me laugh! I’ve heard a few comparisons about their lack of chemistry and my favourite has been ‘watching them together is like watching two pieces of cardboard.’

• Joe says:

Just no…black canary is horrible and kc and sa have zero chemistry, romantic or otherwise… Green arrow has more chemistry with Felicity, Nyssa, shado, huntress , Sara, and the cop from season one…if anything black canary needs to be written off show or recast with an earth 2 version, Dinah lance (where lances have only one daughter) pksy ed by caity lotz…otherwise no…

• James D says:

Thank you Jason I said the same exact thing before reading your comment. It’s pretty pathetic from a writers standpoint if you ask me. Frankly I’m a little tired of the no chemistry excuse (no offense meant). Both Stephen and Katie are trained actors if they wanted a spark they would find one but they haven’t been written like that from the start of the show, and the first two season I get it they want to drag it out a bit but this is an established show now and their history together in the comics is too substantial to ignore. I doesn’t have to be sexual but it needs to be developed.

• Kira says:

Actually chemistry between to individual can not be written. It is something two people either have or do not have. KC and SA do not have it. Even SA has commented on how when two people are acting in a movie/sceen together either they mesh or they don’t. Whether are not two people click on a level where the can play off of each other to make them better actors have nothing to do with the writers and everything to do with the actors.

• Polly says:

Of course it has to do with the writing. If you’re not given lines that you can use to play off of each other, then there will be no chemistry. In season 2, I was actually rather impressed (not Emmy-winning-scene impressed but still impressed) with their “Hallway Scene”, that was good writing and there were sparks (not necessarily romantic), there was chemistry because they could play off of each other.
          [But then chemistry is a very subjective thing, where you see something, I don’t – and vice versa. Though I am rather annoyed how some people state “they have no chemistry” as a fact; it’s still only an opinion.]

• Totally agree! I want to see the romance grow overtime now the past is behind them following this episode. O&F is like watching paint dry, it’s as boring as hell. I’ve never seen them as romantic at all and the only vibe was the annoying little sister until they started to fan servicing it with stupid scenes. Look forward to end of Olicity at some point during this season.

• Liz says:

Did you even read my comment, Apple?!! I said LAUREL and OLIVER were like watching paint dry. I have no interest in seeing a romantic relationship with them. Repair the friendship and be a GA/BC team out in the field. That’s all I want. I don’t even care about them to be quite honest.

• Anna says:

Apple doesn’t read comments…or pay attention to the show.

• amb1973 says:

Too busy with the cray.

• BSH says:

Thats very funny !!! People who say no chemistry between SA and KC are the ones who dont like KC and doesnt want to see the pairing between them and people who say no chemistry between SA and EBR are the ones who likes KC but they didnt hate EBR until the point Arrowwritters specially Marc start with fanservicing

• Dj says:

I’m not a fan of either actress and I fully blame the writers for it. From the start the writers never gave me a reason to like KC as Laurel. And last season all the high and mighty sanctimonious speeches they had EBR give soured me on her so much I can barely watch her this season. I would be happy if they both got fridge

• Polly says:

While F&O do have chemistry, it’s not the chemistry I’m interested in, and since I’m not in the US and watch the episode a day later anyway, I always skip their scenes.
        It’s just that they are so cheesy, so boring to me, while just the thought of the plot they would need to have happen before LL&O (or rather their alter egos) would get together is super interesting to me. I wouldn’t say I’m interested in toxic relationships, but I prefer relationships where you actually have problems beyond omlettes and helping the team behind the other one’s back that you need to overcome – at least on TV.
        Basically, if you let a relationship take up screentime, at least make it interesting, especially on a Superhero show (on a soap opera that’s entirely different of course).

3. Sarah T says:

I never watched Constantine (nor am I familiar with this character) so I’m kind of ambivalent about next week’s episode but the premise looks interesting so I’ll be tuning in (as always)

• Vlada Gelman says:

For what it’s worth, I didn’t watch Constantine past the pilot, and I quite enjoyed this episode.

• tvjunkie says:

I watched about 3 or 4 episodes, it’s wasn’t terribly good. I think the problem is Constantine just doesn’t translate well to film. There has yet to be a good live action adaptation of the character. That said I’m ok with him appearing for the specific reason he’s appearing, but I hope it doesn’t become a recurring thing.

4. pem says:

Arrow’s been great so far. Enjoying a lot of the storylines, especially Oliver and Felicity and “Mayor Queen”.

• Marni says:

I really tried liking L and O but I just give up. But with O and F, liking was natural. Oliver trying to be somebody else other than the green arrow is interesting. I want to see people close to him are actively supporting him.

5. K says:

Intrigued to hear about how Constantine and Oliver know each other, and really interested to see how Parker Young integrates with Arrow. I really enjoyed him on Suburgatory (which as a show I thought was underrated), and Thea deserves some happiness.

I wish I cared about Laurel and Oliver’s friendship, but I really don’t. The show has given me nothing to root for there over the years. The backstory they started with was toxic as hell and I’ve never seen anything onscreen between them that makes me understand why they still even talk to each other, let alone why they’re ‘friends’. Laurel pretty much summed it up for me last week with, “I don’t need Oliver’s judgment.”

• James says:

Hopefully this “new” established friendship will lead us to a path where they reconcile their differences and remove any conflict in future. Sort of like what they did with Roy and Oliver. This then creates less drama, which none of us has time for.

6. Dj says:

Constantine being connected to two other storylines must mean he was on the island and has some type of link to Darhk.

• Evenmoor says:

Given that Constantine’s knowledge of and experience with the supernatural, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if he had a thing or two to say about Damien Darhk.

7. A says:

Just not interested in this episode. I wish I was because from what I’ve heard Matt Ryan is great as Constantine……but they aren’t exactly selling it to me. Oliver and Laurel even working together is cringe worthy to me so the writers pushing a ‘friendship’ is going to make it easy to turn off ….and while i like Sara, I dont necessarily want an entire episode devoted to bringing back her soul. Diggle and Lance working together is intriguing….but not enough.

• Lol says:

You obviously like Oliver with his mistress name felicity smoak .

• A says:

I feel like I was supposed to see your comment as a criticism, but I can’t…..so sorry. I love Felicity, yes. I like Olicity, yes. I dont expect every episode to be about Felicity though. I’m just not interested in the storylines that are spinning off LoT. I’m allowed to not like something, aren’t I?

• Evan says:

This would make sense if League of Assassins marriages performed by a priestess and signed in blood, were legally binding in the United States. Nice try though.

• tvjunkie says:

The show isn’t based in our reality, unless you’re telling me superheros and magic are real. So applying real world laws to Arrow could be an incorrect assumption.

• amb1973 says:

It seems pretty clear that neither Oliver nor Nyssa are at all worried about it, so I don’t know why you would be.

Not to mention, wedding without consent under pain of death performed by voodoo priestess of unrecognized group of terrorists = pretty easily annulled.

• Kira says:

Not really seeing as how to most people in arrow-verse think the league is just a myth.

• Maria says:

So? We can say you obviously like LL from the way you talk about Felicity Smoak. At least we can say FS isn’t a selfish woman and that she doesn’t stand around like a robot with her arms crossed across her chest all the time.

• BSh says:

Thats whats been directed by writers to the LL character to do .. She z doing exactly what she is been asked to do by the writers .. So blame writters for screwing up her character !!!

• Lisa says:

I agree. Watching Oliver and Laurel work together is cringe worthy and boring and their ‘friendship’ feels forced. Her presence on the show now irritates me. I’m more excited that Sara is coming back than seeing Laurel scenes.

8. MelindaB says:

I watched some of the first season of Arrow, but time constraints ended up keeping me from continuing. I’d love to watch the episode with Constantine, as I really liked that show, but I don’t know if I’m familiar enough with Arrow to “get” much of it…plus, it would make me miss Constantine all over again.

• Luis says:

Thumbnail sketch – snobby rich kid gets washed overboard, lands on a island, learns to shoot arrows and fight real good, comes home to kill all the evil people destroying his city, finds out killing people doesn’t solve all your problems, vows to fight for justice, makes cool friends, fights old and new enemies, falls in love, and how as to deal with magic, on top of everything

• Lizzie says:

You could literally start from this fourth season.

9. Edda Sam says:

cant wait to see constantine hope we can have scenes between him and felicity it would be hilarious
    i don’t care about laurel at all
    thea deserve happiness happy for her

10. lily says:

You know what, I’m not much of a fan of Laurel or Laurel/OLiver but I do agree that they need to shout it out and fix their friendship because it’s tiring seeing them at each other’s throat constantly. Maybe that’ll fix the attitude KC seems to always have in scenes. If that is the reason she always comes across as judgy and defensive in scenes, I’ll tip my hat to her, because I’m so over the way she plays scenes.

• anna says:

Oh, you mean the way she crosses her arms in EVERY scene, no matter who she’s talking to? I am surprised no director has caught it and made suggestions that she do something else. It’s really annoying.

• K says:

The crossed arms and resting overly-serious expression aren’t doing it for you?

• amb1973 says:

Her facial expression and body language in the elevator going to the new lair are the worst. She is death glaring, then death glares over at Oliver and Felicity, folds her arms, and death glares forward. It’s not even a resting face thing, because she is front and center in a well-lit elevator…and she looks SO ENRAGED. I just do not understand why the actress plays Laurel as always so angry.

Not watching the episode. Too much Laurel and Lance family drama, too much Legends of Tomorrow setup.

• tvjunkie says:

What they really need is to hire a writer who is even remotely competent at writing the Laurel character. Here we are in the 4th season and so far they have not found such a writer.

• A says:

You could be the best writer in the world, but still have your stuff come across as rubbish if the actor/actress’ acting skills aren’t completely there

• Stark says:

KC can act, but the scenes are only going to be as good as the writing…Sorry, but she is one of the better actors on the show and that includes Stephen

• JC1 says:

I don’t agree. This season’s third episode, Restoration, was a classic example. If Cassidy was such a good actress, that should have been the perfect opportunity to showcase her talent. Instead she basically sleepwalked through the entire thing. The scene where Nyssa begs her not to resurrect Sara was the perfect example. Katrina Law acted her heart out and Cassidy just stood there with a blank face. Thea comes rushing into her room begging her to leave – Laurel stands there with no expression on her face. Nyssa angrily blames Laurel for whatever happens to Sara next – Laurel has no expression on her face. It was almost laughable.

• Dj says:

I will admit that the writing hasn’t help her. But where some of the other cast member have overcome bad writing and put on great performances KC hasn’t. She does have awful body language and when she has scenes in the Canary costume there are times she looks ridicules.

• Anna says:

I came on Arrow as a KC fan–I liked her in other things I had seen her in before. That being said, I disliked Laurel almost immediately. At first I thought it was the love story and lack of chemistry I was so against, but clearly the show has dropped that, and I still can’t stand the character or the way she’s portrayed. I hate to agree, but JC1 is right–the episodes that are supposed to highlight Cassidy’s acting have only accentuated that she can’t pull off this role. I can’t buy that Laurel truly loves Sara–when Nyssa begs her not to resurrect Sara, I felt strongly for Nyssa. I thought Katrina Law blew that scene away. Meanwhile, nothing from KC. In the last episode, my heart broke for Lance–a character I haven’t liked in awhile–because of Paul Blackthorne’s superb acting. Cassidy simply cannot make me sympathize with her character. And as Black Canary? I am a HUGE Black Canary fan and I am forever bitter at the origin story she was given on Arrow. KC looks completely unbelievable in the role.

• Joe says:

@jc1 yep…the scene in restoration between Nyssa and laurel shows how good an actress Katrina law is and how not good Katie cassidy is as Laurel…kc had no passion whatsoever in that scene, like she was dropping off dry cleaning….

• K says:

If they can’t figure out how to writer her after 3 plus seasons, it may be time to er, let that canary fly. Reeallly far away.

• mattweyne says:

I would not be sad if LL left for good. There is a lot of good stories to be made without her.

• Lisa says:

I would breath a sigh of relief if LL left for good. She’s the only character I can’t stand. I’m actually hoping she’s the one in the grave.

• Liz says:

I have to be honest, I’ve really tried to give Laurel a chance over the years and every season she disappoints me. I thought the issue with her would be solved once she was Black Canary but if anything it just highlights how much she doesn’t fit. I don’t see a place for her on the show anymore and the more they force her to fit, the more annoying I find her. I’d be more than happy if they said enough is enough but I know they won’t. They’re not brave enough.

• lily says:

Not necessarily. Little things like, not frowning and uncrossing your arms and lowering the judgmental brow aren’t things that are written. Those are acting choices.

• Lisa says:

You guys took the words right out of my mouth. She ALWAYS crosses her arms and it annoys me to no end. And Laurel always comes across defensive, annoyed and way too serious. She needs to lighten up.

11. Joey Padron says:

Good teasers for next week’s episode. So excited to see Constantine on the show!

12. Andrea says:

I can’t wait to see Constantine on arrow, so far I like season 4, especially love all the conversation between oliver and other characters. after thea, dig, lance next is laurel.

Honestly, the love story between oliver and laurel are one of the worst I ever see on tv, but I hope they can put the past behind them and become more friendly with each other. Laurel seems fine on her own and oliver seems happy with felicity, i hate the idea of romance between oliver and laurel, but i don’t see the problem with them become partner, especially now they’re in the team together.

• tvjunkie says:

“love story between oliver and laurel ” Honestly, are you on crack? There is no love story between them. The writers have thus far not even attempted to write a love story between them. They’ve poorly written a broken relationship story between them, but that’s not the same thing.

• JC1 says:

They attempted to write a love story between them in season one. It didn’t fly (to use a very poor pun).

• mattweyne says:

It didn’t feel like any love story I could feel. They behaved badly and I am happy the moved away from that relationship.

• JC1 says:

Oh I’m not endorsing it. Lauriver is my NOTP of NOTPs (and, no, I am not an Olicity shipper). I was just replying to tvjunkie saying that the writers have not attempted to write a love story between them. I think they did, in season one. It just was a very very bad love story.

13. Smoak Arrow says:

Looking forward to hearing the Oliver/Felicity talk. That should be interesting. Diggle and Quentin partnering up? Yes, please! Finally! I’m looking forward to that and to how all this impacts Thea in the end. And Constantine! I’ll love seeing him back on my screen. Hoping he interacts with all my favs: Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, Quentin, and Thea.

14. Evan says:

This whole Constantine and Oliver’s relationship is intriguing. Super excited to see Matt Ryan again.

Is blood lust brought on by sexual arousal because Thea new boyfriend better watch out. Maybe it’s him in the grave. Oops!

Sara going ‘Dawn of the Dead’ zombie on people’s butts is the only positive part of this whole Laurel’s cluster frack! I suppose having Sara back in the end is worth it.

Diggle and Lance working together. Yes! This is the start of Diggle’s HIVE storyline. I am here for this!

I really don’t care about Laurel and Oliver’s friendship. The show has never given me a reason to root for their relationship (romantic or otherwise), so why start now four years in?

15. Diane says:

I don’t understand why they are moving the character from a failed television show over… he’s a magician detective from something? I think I’ll skip next week and just read the recap— I know minimal about Constantine so it would be difficult to follow.

Laurel and Oliver are just an odd pair. I realize comic history but I really have no idea why they should even like each other at this point. They should be grudging allies but honestly- he cheated on her, treats her like she’s slow and mocked her alcohol addiction- she should LOATHE him. She lies to him constantly, looks like she’d rather be anywhere but near him, looks angry all of the time and they have negative chemistry. Even their fight chemistry is off. Like you can’t stay engaged must FF chemistry. It’s weird. They should develop Cassidy with Willa or Emily who she has move chemistry with. Frankly she has more chemistry with a wall than with Amell. Those 2 do not work. So it’s hard to root for them to be friends—or having scenes at all. They drag. Amell does his best work against the Darhk character/Lance (Rise! Amell Rise) and does good rom-com work with Felicity/ and oddly at times Thea (tell me people see it). Cassidy does her best work with the Tommy character (they should never have killed him), Thea and Lance. I also think she generates some chem with the Flash cast. Whatever the BC/GA is in the comics it is not translating here.

• speedy says:

I completely agree with this. It truly boggles the mind just how bad the chemistry between Amell and Cassidy is. He looked so good fighting beside Caity Lotz, but with Cassidy, even the fight scenes just fall flat. I was so excited about Constantine, but hearing we’re going to have to endure Laurel-Oliver scenes has sucked my enthusiasm for the episode. At least Diggle is getting some character development. Hopefully that will be good. And YES, completely agree, Amell has better chemistry with Willa Holland–my husband actually thought she was the love interest when he saw a scene from season 1. When he found out it was supposed to be Laurel, he made a face and said “I was hoping she was a one-time guest star.” The clincher: he’s a huge comic book fan!

• Carla Krae says:

It won’t be difficult to follow. That’s silly. Arrow will introduce him like they’ve introduced any other new character!

16. Luis says:

Note to the TV industry – Get Neal McDonough on my TV screen every week, in his own show – the world will be a much better place

17. Liz says:

I find Oliver and Laurel’s relationship so weird and messy and I’ve never believed that they were in love ever, mostly because SA and KC lack any romantic chemistry but also because of their history of cheating and lies. BUT I do think they need to repair their friendship. They lie to each other all the time and that doesn’t work if they’re going to be working together out in the field. I don’t really care all that much though. Fix it and move on. Let’s not waste too much time on this.

As for the episode I’m not that excited? I think Constantine looks kind of cool and in the promo crazy Sara looks awesome but I’m not feeling this whole storyline lately. It’s kind of messy. I’m looking forward to when the show gets back to being about Arrow and not about setting up crossovers.

• Tobias says:

If they were going to cast someone as the Black Canary… it should have been Caity Lotz from the get go. They looked GREAT together.

• Tasha says:

Omg! That is what I have been saying since day one that they should have swapped that casting. kC had great chemistry with Ray when they argued in the police station about Oliver being the arrow last season, she would have been better suited to be going over to legends and have caity lots on arrow. It’s really unfortunate that they found caity so late in the game as a re-cast for Sara. I really wonder who saw the testing for the pilot and thought SA and KC could pull of star crossed lovers.

• Lisa says:

Someone should pitch this idea to Guggenheim. I think its a great idea to switch the canaries; have Caity on arrow and Laurel on LoT.

• A says:

That’s the thing, there was no testing between them before they were cast. Katie was allowed to pick a new CW show to star in and she picked Arrow……Amell only found out she was cast when she followed him on twitter.

• Lisa says:

Wow! I didn’t know that. Biggest mistake to not test chemistry. What would they have done is EBR didn’t show up?

• Liz says:

I agree. Caity Lotz will always be my preferred Canary. She had chemistry with Amell too. What could have been…

18. Liz says:

Forgot to add that I’m looking forward to the nice talk between Oliver and Felicity. I’m so impressed with how they’ve fit their romance into the show this season. It’s not overbearing or in your face. It just is, feels organic. I always enjoy their scenes and their quiet moments. Good job, show! :)))

19. Amber says:

Interested to see the talk between Oliver and Felicity too. I’m guessing Ray will be mentioned since 4×06 includes him. Maybe Felicity will also talk about her dad? We can hope!

20. DanZee says:

I loved Constantine. There were about four classic episodes from that short series that were the most intense and scariest shows I’ve ever seen on broadcast TV. It felt like the network had them pull back from horror, which hurt the show. Glad to see him on Arrow! Would love to see a Netflix version of Constantine.

21. JESS says:

I can’t wait for this episode because of the Oliver & Laurel & Constantine team up.

22. Carol says:

This episode looks great! I miss Oliver & Laurel scenes..

23. Anna says:

WHAT ABOUT NYSSA?!?!?!?

24. Oliver and Felicity talking about people they’ve lost? So here for that. I wonder if Papa Smoak gets mentioned. And I’m intrigued by this partnership between Diggle and Lance. The more I see of those two, the better. I enjoyed Constantine and I’ve missed his snarky wit so I hope he gets some great scenes with Felicity and Diggle, too.

25. JB says:

Is going to be refreshing one episode with less Olicity. I can’t stand them anymore. Still love Felicity though.

• lily says:

There was nothing in the last episode or the episode before that. The only episode with huge focus on them was the first, because it was establishing them. When I see complaints about focus on them, I’m genuinely confused, because the show has relegated them to the background versus everything else. Just because you’re focused, doesn’t mean the show is.

• Liz says:

This. I think the show has done an amazing job with Olicity this season so far. They’re very subtle. Loving them!

• mattweyne says:

I am not disappointed. Olicity has been perfect so far. I heard “they were a team within a team” and like a real relationship they actually are pulling it off. S1 Oliver created his one man lair that S2 Felicity having faith that the Arrow would come back redid the lair… Now S4 the united couple redid a whole new lair. That is a team.

• Liz says:

Exactly. I’m really pleased with how well that team within a team is coming across. It’s understated but you just know they’re in love and committed. If they continue with this, I’ll be thrilled.

26. Gerald says:

Sounds like a great episode.
    Didn’t watch Constantine past the first episode, but seems like he would be a good ali to have.
    Curious to see how Private Randy Hill comes off as a political strategist.

27. Brigid says:

I’m excited about the Laurel Oliver showdown. I truly love when they fight with each other. They really need to mend their friendship because it is all based on lies by both of them and the air needs to be cleaned if they continue to work together. So looking forward to Constantine in this episode. He is a great character and I really loved that show. Go Diggle/Lance!!!

28. Kira says:

I really couldn’t care less about Oliver and Laurel’s broken…what it is the have. I will say though that I am looking forward to the Lance and Diggle stuff. It wil also be really interesting to see how they have incorporated the Constantine stuff into the shoe.

29. James D says:

Another freaking argument on another freaking character keeping freaking secrets. Ugh that is became tiresome a long time ago. please Arrow writers for the love of all that is pure and holy please let this be the last one. and for pete’s sake please start developing an actual relationship (doesn’t even have to be sexual) with Oliver and Laurel I mean they’re kind of a big deal in the source material. This show needs to step it up big time. I’m super stoked for Constantine though sounds really cool how they bring him in and I hope the bring Matt Ryan in for more than a one and done. If I’m not mistaken the two have had a pretty interesting history in the comics.

30. Kate says:

Not a fan of how Sara is brought back (IMO she should never have been killed in the first place, she was a great Black Canary) but I’m glad Caity Lotz is back kicking ass on my screen !
    Looking foward Oliver and Felicity’s talk about people they lost. I’m curious about who’s going to be brought up (Daddy Smoak ?).
    Also curious about the dynamic between Diggle and Lance. They have plenty of similarities and, done well, it could be great !

• Tasha says:

That convo is most likely going to be Oliver talking about his mom n Sara and felicity talking about her dad n Ray. I’m sure she will really be struggling now that she has heard that voice recording from Ray and probably start to shut down which will be why Oliver calls in mama smoak.

• Rob Watkins says:

She wasn’t Black Canary.

31. mattweyne says:

This season has been very promising. The only character I still can’t seem to connect with is Laurel Lance. Her presence is so forced in most scenes that she makes me cringe.
    Captain Lance/Oliver Queen killed it on the last episode.
    Happy to see Sara back and that Constantine will help Oliver and crew bring the beloved Canary back. Oliver’s friendship with Sara was so good especially when fighting villains.
    I actually love what they are doing with Oliver/Felicity that relationship is so well done and grown up that I didn’t expect to like it so much.
    I’m excited about H.I.V.E. and Dig’s story-line. Thea has been a nice touch and she is earning her place among the team.

• Tasha says:

Completely agree with all of this. Olicity is handled really well the actors have always had a habit of touching or holding hands in scenes so now the director just focuses on that. They have no unnecessary melodrama. It’s all very suttee and doesn’t over shadow the storyline. I’m glad they are going to have a dig/lance plot because the image in the sizzler promo of lance hitting Dig over the head made me nervous. Glad mama smoak is coming back I’m dying for a scene with her and lance together. I want dig to have closure but part of me feels like Andy is alive and one of darhks minions because something really bugs me about that guy not killing Diggle when he had the chance. I’m also wonder if there is any chance that Oliver’s baby mama is Damien’s daughter.
      Lastly I really feel bad for Laurel and her lack of story line. I am hoping that if her dad is the one who dies then we start to get more DA Laurel and use her as the teams connection to the police station because her as a lawyer is significantly more interesting to watch than her as a drunk, a love interest or a constantly beaten masked crime fighter.

32. sladewilson says:

Here’s what I don’t understand about “fans” of fill-in-the-blanks shippers: why do you think that you have to put down the character or worse yet the actor/actress that go directly against that shipping? The Laurel Lance hate is ridiculous. Okay, for this universe, Oliver and Felicity are the couple. Fine. I like them together. But anyone think that it’s on purpose that Oliver and Laurel always seem “off”? Like it’s supposed to be that way? Personally the two that have a ton of chemistry (not romantic but as friends) is the new Diggle/Laurel dynamic. They’re an interesting pairing and it actually works because unlike Felicity, Laurel doesn’t look at Digg like a “big brother” but a friend/PIC (partner in crime). I’d much rather see Oliver with Thea in the field while Digg and BC work together. Plus Laurel’s scenes with her father are usually golden.

• Liz says:

I think it’s really unfair to generalise the dislike of character just because of shipping. I’ve had issues with Laurel long before I even liked Oliver and Felicity together. I’ve given her chances and gone into each season with a blank slate and a wish that she’d improve and every season she fails me as a viewer. Nothing to do with shipping. I don’t disagree that some shippers dislike characters simply because of a ship but I don’t think that’s fair for all shippers.

• Rob Watkins says:

Except that you complain about nitpicky stuff like her crossing her arms. Seriously, crossing her arms annoys you guys. Don’t you have better things to do than complain about an innocuous gesture?

• Anna says:

I’m sorry, but I disagree. Crossing arms is body language for a person not being interested in what you are saying, turned off, defensive, indifferent…I could go on. So because Laurel is ALWAYS crossing her arms, in every scene, whatever is happening, the message I’m getting is negative. It’s not innocuous to me, it’s very telling because it’s not once in a while–it’s the only acting choice KC makes, and it does color how I see Laurel. I love Black Canary, so believe me, I wanted to like Laurel, but the acting choices have made it impossible for me to see BC in her. And it’s not even like she smiles when she does it, like Sara or Thea sometimes. She actually looks annoyed or indifferent.

• Rob Watkins says:

That’s not what that means and everyone in the scene had their arms crossed. Crossing arms can mean a lot of things including getting comfortable. It’s like you read a text book or did a quick google search. In the scene she was listening intently like everyone else. You aren’t watching, you are interpreting it how you want to.

• Liz says:

Personally I haven’t complained about that gesture but I can find far more to complain about where Laurel’s concerned if you want me to. It’s pretty easy. I’ll find my list. She’s a mess as far as characters go and I’m sick of giving her chances.

33. sladewilson says:

Oh yeah, by the way – now that magic and mysticism is introduced – can we get Dr. Fate for a cameo or something? And I’m still waiting for a Nightwing appearance or at least a Dick Grayson sighting!!!!

34. Ellyce says:

Diggle and Lance sounds interesting; I have been waiting for them to interact since S1. I always look forward to the Felicity and Oliver scenes and Felicity meeting Constantine sounds like a lot of fun. I’m glad to see Sara back on my screen. I have really missed the character. Here’s hoping we get some good Sara/Felicity and Sara/Thea as well. If not in this episode, soon.

35. Lori Baxter says:

Love the CW. Watched you grow into a contender. Thanks for the ride. Still staying tuned weekly.

36. Marni says:

I love Constantine! I can’t wait to watch his interactions with the Arrow cast. What was it he said about Felicity and men that gets their own show? So, I’m will be waiting if he’s going to make a move.

37. Jack says:

Chemistry is subjective. Laurel and Oliver weren’t written to be two characters who met with a clean slate and started falling for each other. They had over fifteen years of history with each other before the show even began, and the nature of their ‘romance’ was complicated. They will always be a complicated ‘ship’, romantic or otherwise. Underneath it all, they have a relationship built on friendship, and right now, that’s what they’ve fallen back on. You may not be able to see and feel the history between them in their scenes, but a lot of people, including myself, can. ‘Chemistry’ is such a weak argument to throw around. Amell and Cassidy sell their on screen relationship well. They always have, since day one.

• lily says:

Friendship is such a generous term for what they have though. Making light of someone’s addiction, constant lies, telling someone you wish they died, willing to sell them out when you find out their secret alter ego … those things don’t scream I value this person in my life. Everything written for them makes me wonder why they would even want to be around each other.

• Kira says:

And did anyone else notice that she was the only member of the “team” that didn’t attend Oliver’s press conference to announce his candidacy.

• Polly says:

There’s loving/caring about someone and there’s disliking someone. Both these things can co-exist. You can love your friend or family member but really dislike them at the same time for the poor choices they make. I think this is the situation with these two. They care for each other, but they don’t always like each other, they’re upset by the choices the other one makes/made, they’re angry and disappointed but I still very much believe that if anything really happened to the other one, both would be absolutely broken.
        Also, what you say (I wish you had died & other stuff) and what you mean are two different things, how many times have you said “I hate you” to somebody you love, just because you were upset; their situation is just a bit more extreme.

• Liz says:

If that’s what friendship means then I don’t want it. Oliver has treated Laurel appallingly over the years. They have no trust between them. They lie all the time. He cheated on her repeatedly, with her own sister. He called her an addict. He doesn’t confide in her. Their whole relationship is a mess. I agree chemistry is subjective but I often wonder why they even acknowledge each other seeing as I get nothing from them.

• Rob Watkins says:

She was an addict. There are moments such as the beginning of season 3 where you can see that they can work well together, and even that moment where Wildcat senses a tension between them and they say they’re exes showed that they can work as two people with a complicated history.

• Polly says:

You don’t, other people do, that’s why they acknowledge each other!
        Yes, their relationship is a mess that they need to slowly clean up, it’s not going to happen overnight but it can be done and I think that being out in the field together, trusting each other with their lives (if I had no trust in somebody, I certainly wouldn’t swing myself from a building on their arrow zip line), making important decisions as a team, will help tremendously.
        If they do get together eventually, so not in a matter of episodes but of seasons, they will never be in a lovey-dovey relationship, there will always be things to work on, however, knowing that the other one has your back and trusts you when it really matters would put those fights into perspective.
        Also, I agree with Rob, why wouldn’t he call her an addict, she was one and didn’t we learn on Arrow that the truth is the most powerful thing (or weapon, or something similar).

• Liz says:

Good for you. I still have no interest in their relationship or friendship and I am very much entitled to that opinion, just as you’re entitled to yours.

38. Lisa says:

I’m looking forward to Oliver and Felicity talking about people they’ve lost. This show has done an excellent job with their relationship! And I’m looking forward to 4×06!!