How to Get Away With Murder Recap: Where All the Bodies Are Buried

“She can’t die! Don’t let her die!” screams Frank Delfino, running alongside a gurney carrying a bleeding-out Annalise Keating, during this week’s “Shooting Night” flash-forward on How to Get Away With Murder. Turns out, though, that Frank’s just playing hysterical for the benefit of the facility’s security cameras. By the time he gets to his car, he looks as nonchalant as if he’s in the Keating kitchen busting Bonnie for her Great Doucheface Dalliance of 2015.

What’s remarkable about this mind-bending moment isn’t merely that it calls into question the bearded henchman’s loyalty to/affection for his bosslady, but that it also only ranks No. 11 in my countdown of HTGAWM WHOA-EMM-GEE Moments (TM pending) from the hour.

Shall we count down the other nine? Why yes, we shall! Or to put it in the words of Annalise Keating, “Right now, I have to go handle a bitch.” (Yeah, yeah, maybe that quote isn’t entirely applicable, but it should always be worked into your conversations/emails/memos/cover letters from this day forward. #Fact)

10. We learn that our murder suspects’ murdered aunt, Helena Hapstall, gave a child up for adoption, then set him up with enough money to ensure a lifetime of comfort. Annalise sees an opportunity, though, to provide the jury in Caleb and Catherine’s case a new suspect in their parents’ death — one who stood to inherit a windfall if the Hapstall sibs were in jail. “Juries love a secret baby,” says Annalise, and crass as it is, I pretty much take her legal talk more seriously than Bible verse.

9. Annalise clears a transgender woman (and fellow Middleton University professor) who’s being eyed as a suspect in her abusive husband. “I’m so glad he’s dead, Annalise,” sighs Jill, once she’s a free woman. The confession causes Annalise’s impenetrable outer coating to soften for just a moment, and she lobs back a truth bomb of her own: “I’m glad Sam’s dead, too.”

8. Frank has no chest hair!!! (But his face suggests hirsute-ness!)  We learn this during his enthusiastic sex with Laurel, who’s been searching his pants and trying to guess the password on his iPhone in a Wes-fueled bout of paranoia. After Laurel and Wes finally confront Frank to his face — and he lies again that he has no knowledge of her whereabouts — Frank convinces Laurel the money in the storage locker was a bribe to keep Rebecca quiet about the Keating Four’s role in Sam’s murder. And then — !¡!¡ — he takes Laurel to meet his rowdy, hard-drinking family! I ought to be pessimistic about this couple’s future, but damn their smiles over dinner look awfully sincere, no?

7. Annalise goes to Wes’ apartment to seduce him to confess she knows his mom committed suicide and offer the theory that his childhood tragedy is the reason he doesn’t trust women. I’m half expecting/half wanting Annalise to tear off Wes’ legal briefs and assume the deposition (that euphemism doesn’t really work, does it?), but instead she promises him “no more secrets” while continuing to lie that she has no idea what happened to Rebecca. (Our protagonist is so cold she hasn’t even exited Wes’ apartment building before she calls Frank for a status update about the disposal and hiding of the murder suspect/drug dealer’s corpse.)

6. Speaking of which, with so much snooping around from the Keating Four/Five, Frank and his gravedigger buddy retrieve Rebecca’s body and bury it in a cemetery. (I know I shouldn’t be throwing out compliments for such sick, twisted business, but a graveyard really is an A+ place to dispose of a corpse, no?)

5. Nia Lahey is dead — and no amount of peach cobbler is going to get Annalise back in Nate’s good graces, seeing how her framing him for murder robbed him of being at Nia’s side during her final months. “I don’t hate you. I just don’t care about you,” he grumbles, though I’m not sure I buy it. What’s a much easier sell is Annalise’s insanely hot black trench coat/pearls combo during the scene, both of which underscore Viola Davis’ one-of-a-kind gorgeousness.

4. Annalise sells out Asher’s dad to Ambitious/Hot DA Guy in order to secure the freedom of her transgender colleague and Asher himself (still at risk for his involvement in Trotter Lake). While her ploy works brilliantly, it has the same kind of nasty side effects as any pharmaceutical ad. “May result in father-son estrangement, bad mojo and a karmic comeuppance.) When Judge Millstone learns every one of his cases — including the very bad David Allen verdict — is under investigation, he essentially disowns Asher, and exits with an ice-cold “Have a nice life”

3. That Bitch Prosecutor (born name Emily Sinclair), reeling from getting repeatedly outplayed by Annalise, sets up a meeting in a parking lot with Bonnie. “Girl to girl, I thought you should know the real about your boyfriend,” she says, dropping a bomb that Asher’s Trotter Lake secret involves the gang rape of Tiffany Howard. I want to believe Sweaters McDouchedance is somehow less than culpable, but even if his role was do-nothing bystander, this is going to be tough to forgive — for Bonnie and the audience.

2. OH DID I MENTION THERE IS A DUDE WHO’S SPYING ON OLIVER AND CONNOR???? (Sorry for the all-caps, but totes appropes, yes?) It turns out, in fact, that Oliver has hacked into the computer of Helena Hapstall’s possibly homicidal biological son, Philip Jessup. But unbeknownst to them, the dude (who fancies shirtless selfies) has flipped the hack around, and is viewing Connor and Oliver through some kind of crazy spycam. This does not bode well – unless it brings us some down-low Conniver hanky-panky  footage. (Don’t judge me: Memories of Season 1 copier-room encounter still linger!)

1. Topping the Insanity Chart this week… somehow, on “Shooting Night,” Frank’s got an unconscious Catherine Hapstall in the backseat of his car, and then proceeds to  deposit her blood-splattered body in the woods. She remains motionless as present-day Sam Keating, until the morning, when a police bloodhound gets all sniffity-sniff and Catherine lurches awake with a gasp. What in the actual what is going on here????

Any thoughts, HTGAWM fans? And what did you think of this week’s episode? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Katie says:

This episode was freaking crazy and is it me or was Frank tucking something into is pocket while the hospital was prying him away from Annalise?

• Jess says:

I noticed this too. But I wasn’t sure if he was tucking something in or taking something out but as soon as he made that motion she flatlined.

• Murl says:

OH!! Maybe this is the show thats going to appear to kill off its lead!!!!! Maybe she appears to die in the fall finale. I solved the Blind Item!!!! Yay!!!

Frank either put something on AK, or took something away…..we’ll see. Maybe he took blood from her or something and splattered it all over the female sibling so she’d take the fall for AKs shooting?
      I dont know….im just obsessed with this show! I just want to binge watch it forever!!! HAH!

• Piper says:

I didn’t even notice that until I watched for the second time. I def think he ran up next to the gurney so that he could take some of AK’s blood and use it on Catherine. When we see her in the back of the car, her pajama top has no blood on it. In the woods, it does. I thought it odd he would carry her over his back like that with nothing in between her now bloodied clothes and his shirt but if he did take AK’s blood in the hospital its also odd that he would just shove it in his jacket pocket when it could transfer onto his clothes that way as well so… I guess we’ll have to wait and see. *grabs inhaler*

2. Dave says:

Is Slezak payed by the word from TVLine? Between this show, his recaps for The Voice, and Empire… you need a good hour to just get passed the redundant hyperbole and get down to the meat.

• Lucie says:

I love his recaps. I giggle through the whole thing.

• Angela says:

I like them, too. I like creative and conversational recaps, they’re fun to read (and I like knowing I’m not the only one going, “WTF?!?!” in relation to the events of the episodes :p).

• liame says:

I wish he was writing for some of these Daytime Soap Opera’s! Who am I kidding, All Of Them! ;0

• Win says:

I love Slezakaps (that name won’t stick), hyperbole included. Still, if you want more meat, I think TVLine has one of those The Great Outdoors-style 96 oz. “if you can eat this whole thing” steak contests. I don’t know what to tell you about the gristle…

3. mary b says:

I liked the 1st season. The 2nd season was marginal and this year, oy. Too many murders, too many lies. Is this REALLY how a criminal defense atty behaves? Enough already.

• Hmmmm says:

This is the second season, isn’t it? Just making sure that I didn’t miss something.

• Dave says:

This is season 2.

• liame says:

OMG! LOL, this is so funny because I just told a friend of mine that I met at the gym that it’s in it’s third season! It feels like it’s been around longer, he even said to me that he was watching both seasons on Netlfix…..Hahahahaha! Wait, things that make you go Hmmmm ;/?

4. Loretta says:

How about Phillip Jessup, Helena Hapsells biological son! He’s the guy who turned Connor and Oliver’s hack on his computer, back on them! They mentioned Annalise’s name. Maybe he is the one Who shoot’s Annalise??

5. Nick says:

Girl, Oliver and Conner never had sex in the copy room. That was case of the week guy who threw himself out the building.

• Michael Slezak says:

Well aware of that — my point was we haven’t gotten that kinda hanky-panky this season, and if it takes creepy Philip footage of Conniver to deliver it, then I can’t be too too mad at it.

6. Beth says:

This show sucks this season. It’s convoluted and boring. I’m fast forwarding just about every Bonnie and Asher scene. Those characters are doing nothing to justify the increased focus on them.

7. liame says:

I’m glad I always use closed caption because in the scene between Wes and Annalise at his apartment. I thought I heard her say, “I’m your mother”! I was like WTF, rewind and I was like “oh”. This was another freakin crazy episodes that makes me beg for more right then and there. Dammit!

8. Katie says:

Its so strange for me to see these negative comments because my sister and I were saying last night that this season might even be better than last season.

• Tw123 says:

Yeah, I’m not sure where these comments are coming from either. In almost every other post about HTAWM that I’ve seen (including here on tvline), the general majority has been how improved the show has been in its second season! So you and your sister are definitely not alone.

• Win says:

I’m also enjoying season 2 and this episode. I particularly got goosebumps during all of the final scenes playing with a perfect song.

• Angela says:

Same. I’m seriously intrigued by all this building craziness and these twists and turns.

9. herman1959 says:

Dang, how may (almost) murders can they have in one episode?

10. dan says:

The editing and cinematography for the last sequence was well done. While Annaliese is talking to Frank about taking care of the body, we assume it is Rebecca (which it should be because we’re still in the preset); however, when he actually gets out of the car with a body it turns out to be the accused sister (Catherine?) and we’re in a flashforward. Well done show! The fall finale is 11/19, then the show comes back in January I think; does anybody know how many episodes they’re filming this year (last year it was 15)? I think last season ended before the holidays so I’m curious how much longer this season is going.

• iamolisebika says:

It’s 15 this season. And my heart was totally pounding throughout. This show is – pun intended – to kill for. And when nate crushed Annalise’s heart. Sigh. I’m guessing it was Caleb that shot her. But then it seems like they are all in on it. Except Annalise.

11. Ellinas1978 says:

Is the reviewer 14 or does he try to write like one?

12. Tanya Chaitanya says:

HIRUSUTENESS isn’t a word, it is HIRUSUTISM.

• Mark says:

Essentially every adjective in English has an acceptable noun form with the addition of -ness. There may be a better form using another construction, but the -ness form remains valid.

13. Renee says:

This season is so exciting and plot twisting. Viola Davis never disappoints. The scene with her visiting Nate after Nia died was WOW!. It doesn’t look good for Oliver and Conner now that they are being watched. I enjoy Michaels RECAPS. Him referring to Asher as “Sweaters McDouchdance” too funny. There are only 2 episodes until the Fall Break.. Can’t Wait!

14. Angela says:

That end scene between Annalise and Wes was…whoa (especially when he reacted so strongly to her trying to cup his face-I was almost worried he’d do something to her right there, or attempt to). I don’t know if I quite got the same seduction vibe from their interaction as Slezak did, but the twisted nature of their bond, whatever it is, is definitely not in question.
    Not even remotely surprised that Frank is being all shady…but I really want to know what the hell his deal with Catherine is, what’s going on with all of that. Also, his family looks fun (though I couldn’t help having the words “mob connections” run through my head the whole time, which would certainly explain some of Frank’s behavior), and yet I can’t help but be a little amused at how Laurel is all wary and suspicious of Frank, but still happily goes to dinner with him and his family anyway. Mmkay.
    As for Asher…ooooooooooh. Yeah. That’s…not good. I too think he wasn’t actively involved (I certainly HOPE he wasn’t), but I do agree that even being involved in the cover up or possibly witnessing it while staying silent is not all that much different or better. And if he was involved in the actual crime itself? Then good riddance.
    I liked the interaction between Annalise and Jill. Hearing her admit openly that she was glad Sam was dead was interesting. Especially since his death has put her and everyone else in so much trouble! Must say a lot about Sam that she’ll take all this chaos to cover up his death over actually remaining married to him.
    I can’t wait for the episode that tells us what’s going on the night Annalise is shot. I have no doubt it’s going to be absolutely bonkers.

15. Hannah says:

They’re framing Catherine for shooting Annalise? Maybe?

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

That’s what I was thinking too! I really thought that girl was dead……..Frank I think he took something from the hospital and probably gave it to her while she was knocked out. IDK, but maybe that’s what woke her up at the end overall this is insane I want to know who shot Annalise…besides she’s not going to die why let Viola Davis go?

16. Kerri Hogue says:

Annalise technically was truthful to Wes. She said she didn’t kill Rebecca, which was true since Bonnie did. She said she didn’t know where Rebecca was, which was true since Frank took care of the body.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

What if it was Wes who shot Annalise?……just saying since he’s really pissed off w/her and everything that’s going on.

17. robandco says:

So good.

18. Betty says:

One of the most confusing shows ever. Back in time–forward in time–bodies here–bodies there? Plots, sub plots and, I think, sub sub plots.