Supergirl Spoilers

Supergirl Episode 2: Superquick Take on 'Clark Kent,' Stronger Sis and More

Since the press for so long had only the Supergirl pilot to work off of in sizing up the new CBS drama — which went on to debut as the fall’s most watched series launch — I thought it prudent to bang out a quick overview of Episode 2, which was just sent my way this afternoon.

Most simply said: What worked in the first episode continues to work, very well. Picking up the action one week after Kara’s “coming out,” Melissa Benoist confirms her perfect fit as the titular heroine, imbuing Kara with enough softness and goofball quirks (some innate, some seemingly part of her “act”) to make it believable that those who look Supergirl straight in the face might not necessarily recognize her as Cat Grant’s assistant. Benoist also looks especially and convincingly buff, which is likely more reflective of her ongoing training, for the role, than Kara’s (since kryptonian strength on Earth has nothing to do with musculature. Surely there’s a Kandorian string bean out there who can kick. my. ass.).

I’m also happy to report that the concern I expressed about “Who is Alex Danvers?” moving forward have been assuaged. Chyler Leigh is given a great deal more to do in Episode 2, including mopping the floor with two separate aliens. Even David Harewood’s DEO bossman Hank Henshaw is full of surprises. That said, and speaking of surprises: the one Alex springs on her sister at the end did make me audibly groan a bit.

The theme for Episode 2 is expected for a superhero series, yet never not entertaining: the dreaded learning curve. Kara endeavors to “go big” with her first official feats of heroism, but that only serves to draw (oof, unfavorable) comparisons to her famous cousin, whose own shaky start is a distant Metropolis memory. The montage that follows includes a clever nod to the 1978 Superman movie’s similar sequence. (Speaking of which: Richard Donner also gets a shout-out, if you keep your ears open.)

And I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the brief plot point about poached website reporting.

On the downside, the Villain of the Week was again a disappointment, saddled with an ultimately silly personal agenda, though to be fair he was more  a “cog in the wheel,” a means to shed more light on the pecking order among the Fort Rozz escapees, Laura Benanti’s General Astra included.

Finally, yes, I counted at least five references to Kara’s “cousin” aka “the Man of Steel” — though this week we also get multiple “Superman” utterances as well as — wait for it, Lois — two mentions of “Clark Kent.” Hopefully I/we stop keeping count by Episode 3…?

Looking ahead, the two big questions are: Will Cat Grant get her exclusive face-to-face with National City’s own hero? And can Supergirl survive Monday nights with out the Big Bang gang in front of her?

1. “Melissa Benoist confirms her perfect fit as the titular heroine, imbuing Kara with enough softness and goofball quirks (some innate, some seemingly part of her “act”) to make it believable that those who look Supergirl straight in the face might not necessarily recognize her as Cat Grant’s assistant.”

So the Clark Kent bit. They should just admit that the character is ripping off Superman already instead of trying to pass her off as original. The term “Superman in a dress” exists for a reason. Now it might as well be “Clark Kent in a skirt” or something.

“The montage that follows includes a clever nod to the 1978 Superman movie’s similar sequence. (Speaking of which: Richard Donner also gets a shout-out, if you keep your ears open.)”

Not surprising. Those movies are old, they had their time. People need to learn to let it go. Stagnation leads to death.

• tvjunkie says:

I don’t think the average viewer cares if it’s “Superman in a dress” as long as it’s entertaining.
      “People need to learn to let it go. Stagnation leads to death.”
      It’s rather ironic/hypocritical that you don’t even take your own advice and are in fact quite vocal in doing the exact opposite of that advice.

• If that’s your takeaway, then you haven’t paid attention to anything I’ve said.

I’ve been saying that the character should be portrayed in a way that is original, not in a way that rehashed old comics from 60 years ago, and certainly not in a way that is a rip off of Superman.

• tvjunkie says:

Nope, sorry, but you’re just being a hypocrite with your own advice period. You’re comparing her to old, established cannon and then turning right around and telling people not to dwell on the past. That is the definition of being a hypocrite.

• Having her be Kryptonian is dwelling in the past, one that was determined to be flawed not once but twice in the comics.

• tvjunkie says:

If having her being Kryptonian is dwelling on the past then then same is true of Superman. Although I’m hard pressed to find any logic in concluding making a character of a particular race is dwelling on the past. Then again your arguments seem to defy logic at times.

• Jose Kuervo says:

God forbid they stay somewhat true to the source material.

• They’re not! NOTHING on this show is from the Supergirl source material.

• Jose Kuervo says:

Michael Sacal says: The easiness with which you applaud lack of originality and a clear preference to just have bad comics regurgitated on TV is astounding, but not all that surprising.

Just when I think you have written the dumbest thing, you out do yourself. bravo!

• Jose Kuervo says:

God forbid they depict a Kryptonian as a ….Kryptonian… like…. listen to yourself.

• Jose Kuervo says:

Micahel says” They’re not! NOTHING on this show is from the Supergirl source material.”

Lets see…..
          Kara – Supergirl straight from the comics with all the powers.
          Man of Steel – from the comics
          JamesOlsen, _ Superman’s pal, from the comics(yeah I get it he is black, but I am not the type of person that cares about that
          Hank Henkshaw aka Cyborg Superman- From the comics
          Cat Grant- reporter turn media mogul – From the comics
          Vartox- from the comics
          Maxwell Lord- from the comics
          Kryptonite- from the comics
          Krypton- from the comics
          the Phamthom Zone- from the comics.
          Perry White, Lois Lane, Clark Kent name dropped. from the comics.

Again, remind me how nothing is from the Source material.

• Jose Kuervo says:

Michael says” She’s not being depicted as a Kryptonian, she’s being depicted as Clark Kent in a skirt.”

You mean as she was depicted in the comics? got it.

• If mimicking the comics in which Kara is portrayed as a female Clark Kent is what makes Supergirl great, then the show might as well have just genderbent her as CBS did Watson in Elementary and made the show about a female Clark Kent.

• Jose Kuervo says:

“You show an inability to distinguish between SuperMAN comics and SuperGIRL comics. Sad.:

I have been collecting Superman and Supergirl comics from 40 years.. it is you that have absolutely no clue what you are talking about . You are hating for the sake of hating.

• The easiness with which you applaud lack of originality and a clear preference to just have bad comics regurgitated on TV is astounding, but not all that surprising.

• Jose Kuervo says:

one of the dumbest comments I have read today

2. The Supergirl movie was leaps and bounds more original than this dreck. In it, Kara was portrayed as a stranger in a strange land with great sincerity. Her lack of understanding of the most common things and the wonderment with which she experienced the world was awesome.Contrasting that was her unwavering bravery, like when she told Selena that she didn’t scare easily.

Here, you have a bland Supergirl who lets Henshaw berate her verbally, resulting in her whimpering away with her cape between her legs, and a Kara who is a blatant rip off of Clark Kent, resulting in zero originality.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hey, Michael, honest question: Do you plan to do this all season long? Because if so I can ask the tech guys to, like, create for you a macro that autocompletes the comment field with your usual spiel. Save you some cutting-and-pasting.

• Okay. I won’t comment on the topic.

• Jose Kuervo says:

Michael Sacal says: Okay. I won’t comment on the topic.

Obviously you hate the show and you are wayyy too smart for it . So I am guessing you will not watch episode 3 of this show that you hate so so much , and by default.. we won’t see your comments again. A win for all

• Laura says:

Ha ha!

We have yet to see it 1st Ep airs thu on sky1 and I can honestly say if it rips a bit here and there from smallville or the movies I don’t care it’s being viewed as lighthearted mid week tv nothing to taxing. Heck that’s what Mondays are for (twd)

• Temperance says:

And let’s be honest, how much different are any of the other Superman movies/comics/TV shows? Certainly the least in the FIRST episode. I think they proved their take was decent and that the idea has enough legs for a multi-episode buy-in. You’d think certain posters would have figured out by now that a TV show is not the movies, is not the comics, etc. and give the show a couple episodes before going off endlessly. At the end of the day, it’s supposed to be a relatively kid-friendly 8PM show. Geesh.

• Jose Kuervo says:

” I can honestly say if it rips a bit here and there from smallville”

Really? This show is about a Supergirl that spends 10 years not flying and not wearing a costume until season 10? I’ll be dammed.

• Drew says:

You have to admit, he is right. They did nothing to make Kara a compelling character of her own. They just wrote her as Clark/Superman. And not even a good version of him.

• Alex says:

No one has to admit anything – clearly MANY many people found her to be very compelling… and even if you didn’t, it’s been ONE episode. ONE.

• Drew says:

I think it’s fairly obvious to everyone here that “Alex” is also Alex, right?
            Ooh. Conspiracy.
            Okay, so what is the standard number of episodes that need to air before one forms a thought? Because Arrow, The Flash and Gotham had solid pilots, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions about those shows either.

• Alex says:

Oh I’m absolutely the same person who commented below, and happy to admit it!

As to your second point, I would disagree that any of those pilots formed a truly compelling character in only the first episode. Maybe Flash but he’s also had a guest spot.

Here’s what you don’t seem to see- opinion is subjective. I thought the Gotham pilot was terrible, but I would never act like you were wrong for liking it. Whereas you didn’t like the Supergirl pilot and a majority of people really did. Which is fine, except you’re acting like it’s objectively horrible when it’s all subjective. You didn’t seem to respond to my point about how MANY people disagree with you about her being compelling.

• Drew says:

Different opinions are fine. I don’t care if you disagree. There is no disagreeing that they used the Clark Kent template for this character, but if you want to like her, go to town.
            I don’t care how many people disagree with me. Why would that change my opinion?

• Alex says:

You don’t have to change your opinon. But you said “you have to admit”, implying that everyone has to admit the show wasn’t compelling- despite many people finding it compelling. You’re the one who seems to want other people to change their opinions. But maybe I’m wrong! Maybe that’s not what you want.

• Drew says:

First of all, it is a figure of speech. Second of all, you have yet to explain how she isn’t a cheap Clark Kent knockoff.
            I didn’t say that people couldn’t find her compelling. I said that she isn’t a compelling character of her own. Lots of people love poorly written versions of Clark Kent.

• Alex says:

When was I ever trying to explain how she wasn’t a “cheap Clark Kent knockoff”? (your words, not mine). I owe you no explanation of your opinion (since it’s not mine anyway) but for what it’s worth I think this is a much more interesting version of Clark Kent, that’s for certain. And like most people, I don’t care that this incarnation of Supergirl shares similarities to Clark Kent. I absolutely could not care less.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Drew: The point is this: Many a person has engaged with Michael (and or you) over the past five months about what Kara is, what she isn’t, is the red the right shade, are the villains “hers,” etc. These conversations have been had, many times. You, Michael and others have had your voices heard. The same critiques have been made, many times. And people have addressed them to varying degrees of success (or not!).

I would just like to see the conversation move forward, to mature, away from what are not dusty, boorish issues that obviously won’t be retconned in Episode 3 to the satisfaction of every purist. You don’t think this Kara is compelling? That’s wonderful! So show up after actually watching a second episode with some shiny new examples of that, and feed a fresh conversation.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

• Drew says:

I understand. I even agree that he could switch it up a little. But it comes with the territory. Just like posting an Arrow story will bring out the Olicity shippers, people have opinions that they are likely to state over and over again. The only way to fix that is to make a rule saying that people are only allowed to comment on a show one time, or stop posting articles about those shows and including a comments section.
            You have to know that comic book fans are rabid. This is the nature of the beast.

• They got a better persona down than whatever he was suppose to be in the bleak MOS

• prish says:

Kara appeared as a compelling character in the comics BY JUST BEING like Clark/Superman, but who was a girl. It is what it is, and we loved it in 1959. And I love it, today!

• John NYC says:

For some one like myself, whose last comic was read in the frickin’ sixties, he may be “right”, but he’s also totally irrelevant.

For me the sole question being is the show entertaining?
          A) Yes

B) No

For me the answer is A.

Whether her skirt is the exact same shade of red as some old comic, movie, b/w tv show’s main character? Precisely on the same level of importance as whether some Star Trek crew guy got the engine startup sequence precisely right every single time. Meaning, not at all.

I understand the motivation, I’ve got friends who attend Cons. But for the entire rest of the known universe? Not answering a question we have.

• Indeed. Frankly, they might as well have just genderbent Clark and made him a woman. They would have achieved the same result they have with Kara, and at least it would have been far more honest than what they are doing.

• Z says:

You just dont like the concept of the character… but there are differences. Clark is an older character, an established journalist.. this is a younger woman so there are personality and character trait differences. But again, your main beef seems to be you dont like the Kryptonian Supergirl character.. so why even watch the show? You disliked this concept from the start before you even saw what the show was… kinda silly for you to nitpick stuff like this.. yea shes a female version of superman.. always has been… complaining about it is kinda pointless.

• It is possible to criticise the show on two different levels, one being conceptual and the other being execution. Conceptually, making her Kryptonian is flawed. In terms of execution, making her a knockoff of Clark Kent is foolish.

• Z says:

I still dont think they are making her much like Clark… they seem to be going for a “Devil Wears Prada” thing in the workplace comedy elements of the show… she is an assistant, not a reporter.

• As I said, Clark by way of Prada. In this context her profession is not as important as her personality.

• As I stated, there are two different levels to criticising the show, one is conceptual and the other is execution.

• Z says:

Well I dont see her personality being all that similar.. And you keep complaining about her being kryptonian… Thats like complaining that they should do a Wonder Woman show where she isnt an amazon.. THAT IS THE CHARACTER.

• We were discussing execution (i.e. altering Kara’s personality to turn her into a clone of Clark, something she has never been in comics or other media before).

Now you’re bringing up conceptual issues, i.e. her being Kryptonian.

As stated before, over five decades ago, once the DC Universe split up into what were called Earth One and Earth Two, the editors and writers decided to do away with any Kryptonians other than Superman (such as the Evil Trio) for the reason that their existence undermined his conception as the one and only Kryptonian. Simultaneously, it was decided that making the Superman from Earth One one of many Kryptonian survivors was acceptable, which is where Supergirl came in.

• Z says:

I disagree with your “altering personality to make her a clone of Clark” comment as her current personality as portrayed on the show has very little similarities to Clark other than they both wear glasses. This version of her actually closely resembles the version that was in the comics just prior to the new 52 reboot… And you keep harping on the John Byrne reboot of Superman… though that version went out the door quite awhile ago… Multiple Kryptonians have been around for awhile now.

• Not for a good reason, but because Didio considered them an easier sell. Given how many times DC has retconned Supergirl since her return, it wasn’t as easy as he thought it would be.

• You have writers and editors in the 50’s and 80’s who said “let’s remove all Kryptonians from canon other than Superman because their existence is detrimental to the story.”

Then you have Didio who says “let’s turn Supergirl back into a Kryptonian because it’ll be an easier sell”.

Sorry man, but I’m gonna side with those who put the integrity of the story before the financial bottom line.

• tvjunkie says:

It worked well for her cousin, so wouldn’t logic dictate, she would try to emulate that at least to some degree? To use your own words, “You have to admit” that right?

• Jose Kuervo says:

She was Clark Kent/Superman in the comics as well, not sure what your point is.

• Nichole says:

Matt, if there was a like button, I would be clicking it now.

• Amen honestly i dread coming to Tv line to hear this crap on repeat

• Patrice says:

++1! You know, you can not like something and express your opinions–but, for crying out loud, have the decency to watch the second episode, (and let others view it as well) before expounding on all the errors and inaccuracies that may or may not exist. By now, everything that is so terribly wrong with this show has been shoved down our throats, ad nauseum, since it was announced the show had been picked up. Thanks Matt. I liked the show, I will continue to watch it because I liked it. Sheesh………

• Spider-Dan says:

He’s not wrong though. :(

• John NYC says:

But he’s not right either: simply a Schrödinger’s cat for most viewers. Unless someone is as wrapped in the alleged source material as the poster there’s no right or wrong is there? Just TLDR.

HAHAHA that was awesome.

• Rob Watkins says:

This isn’t a ripoff of Clark. The meek Clark he shows everyone is a façade. Kara is earnest.

• John NYC says:

I read that as a consequence of some energetic protective parenting by her adoptive parents, that oceanview location seemed on the isolated side (deliberately so I expect, that way when a preteen starts flying around the neighbors don’t get wiggy) so a certain newness to things she’d been sheltered from could be logical.

• Think conceptually. Kara on the TV show has been reconceived as a Clark knockoff by way of Devil Wears Prada, which is why she so significantly differs from previous versions of the character in the source material.

• tvjunkie says:

As I said in reply to someone else, it obviously has worked so well for her cousin, so logically it makes sense she would take a similar path to her only possible example. as far as she knew, on the entire planet. As I said, logically, it makes sense.

• Jose Kuervo says:

“econceived as a Clark knockoff by way of Devil Wears Prada,”

If I had a dollar every time I have seen that line in the last 2 weeks. Don’t you have anything original to say?

• Jose Kuervo says:

Rob Watkins says: Kara has been on Earth for over a decade, would she still be looking at everything in wonderment?

THANK YOU! COMMON SENSE Prevails.

• Angie k says:

My thoughts exactly as I watched the pilot.

3. Night says:

And like clockwork Mr Sacal is the first one in. Seriously give the nitpicking a rest.

• Dean says:

I always thought it was cuz he hated women but reading his latest rant he’s just one of those obsessive comic fanatics who if its ripping off or not accurate its considered sacrilege.

• Drew says:

He would have probably lightened up a little if the pilot didn’t suck.
        Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If he went on endless rants about the beauty of Olicity, nobody would get on his back about it.
        It is a comic book show. If they didn’t want comic book geeks commenting on it, they shouldn’t have made the show. People comment on adaptations all the time. Check out an Outlander discussion sometime.

• prish says:

It’s probably the most accurate comic character, so far, in this modern world, as far as capturing the essence of the hero/ine, IMHO. (was there when it happened)

• jj says:

Ha! very true, personally I don’t see the point in watching, and so closely following, a show you can’t stand the concept of

4. Amy says:

The pic at the top of the article made me think she was Emily Bett Rickards at first.

• Drew says:

The roof scene at the end of the pilot looked like Jimmy was talking to Felicity.
      It made me wonder where she was keeping her Supergirl costume.

5. Christina says:

Can’t wait. Really happy to hear there’s going to be more Alex Danvers too! I think the old Greys Anatomy fan in me has an attachment of sorts to her.

6. Jenna says:

Everything current is a rip off of everything past, even me. It’s all about production: writing, casting, special effects, editing. So far I’m liking Supergirl. Thanks for the intel, Matt.

• ScottJ says:

I agree. There is nothing original anymore in TV, movies, books, comics. Its what they do with it that matters. Supergirl the comic always was a blatant ripoff of Superman (or more like Superboy I guess) so it can hardly be surprising that the TV version takes a similar line. If we actually had a Superman TV show at the moment that would be problematic. But we don’t. So it isn’t.

7. lame says:

Does SacaI get paid by each word.

8. Drew says:

Is this what the comment section is about now? Personal attacks on people just because you don’t agree with them? People say the same crap over and over again all the time, but as long as you agree with them, nobody cares.
    If you have a good argument for why Michael Sacal’s is wrong, go forth and discuss. If you’re just going to make fun of people, grow up.
    It is a comic book show. You have a passionate comic book geek passionately commenting on it. Are you really that surprised? Really?

• A Fan of TV says:

You personally attack people who disagree with you all the time. You don’t have to comment, but when you do it’s always some snide remark about how lots of people think stupid things, especially if they think something that disagrees with your opinion. You did it to Alex earlier on this very board. If you can’t take personal attacks, don’t dish them out first.

9. Alex says:

It’s obvious to everyone else that “Drew”, is also Sacal, right?

• Drew says:

Totally. I was just thinking the same thing. Because anyone who doesn’t like ganging up on people for no reason is is obviously a faker.

• Alex says:

The fact that you think the negative reaction has been “for no reason” is exactly why I think you’re him.

• Drew says:

The fact that he is commenting on the show and everyone else is making personal insults against him tells me that you all have issues.
          I’m not him. I am an adult. Did you never see that episode of that TV show that talked about bullying? Not cool.

• Alex says:

No one here made a personal insult against him, and the fact that you think they did makes me think you’re NOT an adult. The most people did was just be annoyed and celebrate Matt. The fact that you’re comparing bullying (a real problem) to Internet comments that weren’t even personal is odd.

• Drew says:

When you take the conversation away from the show that is being discussed her and every single person turns it into taking jabs at one person, I call that a personal attack. You want to be an adult? Disagree with him and discuss the show. That is the point of this place, is it not? I’m sure you have all kinds of compelling reasons for loving this series. But we don’t know any of those, because all people are doing is making fun of one other person.
            A good argument would prove him wrong or at least make solid counterpoints. So… Who is going to do that?

• Alex says:

I’ve been trying to do that with you now and many people have done it with Sacal on article after article… so much that it go to the point where Matt had to step it to end it. Plenty of people are willing to discuss the show. And none of the comments were personal attacks. No one called him names. They were equivalent to eye rolls. But if you consider eye rolls personal attacks im not going to be able to change your mind.

• Drew says:

You are not trying to do that now. You haven’t given any reason for why the show was good or why Kara was a good character. All you’ve done is say “nuh-uh” and “a lot of other people”.
            You even started out by accusing me of being Michael, because heaven forbid someone doesn’t join the bashing.
            Whatever. I have shows coming on and this is boring. Let me know if I start posting under any other names. I lose track so easily.

• Alex says:

Sounds good to me! See you around, Sacal!

• A Fan of TV says:

No, Sacal actually hears people when they point out he’s being obnoxious. Drew hears people call him obnoxious, and obnoxiously responds that it’s his right to be obnoxious. He seems to think the only opinion on TV that matters is his own, and disrespects anyone who likes a show he doesn’t or vice versa. I’m just relieved to find out it’s not just me he’s gone after in the past. I think the best way forward is absolutely ignoring every single comment Drew ever decides to make in the future, because he’s clearly endemically self-flagellating. From this point on that’s certainly my plan.

10. eric says:

Here’s the common complaint that I read about the pilot – “Kara is a whimpering idiot. She let Henshaw, Alex, Grant verbally berate her and walk all over her”I think everyone forgets to note that Supergirl is just that –  a girl, albeit with Superpowers. But the humanity of growing up as a girl in this society still remains.  And I don’t mean that as a bad thing. But I mean shes young. She was sent to Earth with a mission and upon arriving here she learns she was no longer required to carry that out to completion.  To have survived and witnessed her family and race destroyed, for a mission. Then finding out it was all for nothing – that would send anyone into high levels of insecurity.  She even mentioned it in the beginning spiel – She no longer had a purpose and her best bet was to fit in. She’s looking for validity as an individual.  And now shes found something remotely close to fulfilling her original purpose on earth, or even go further than that. Of course anyone in authority (e.g. Hank Henshaw and Alex Danvers, Cat Grant) that undermines that would send her to spiral into insecurity once again. What I thought was beautiful,  is the highest form of authority in her life (her mum) was the one that set her back and inspired her to do the great things she was meant to do.Yes it wasn’t the perfect pilot episode. I agree. But it was a really smart set up for the evolution of a character that is poised to teach many a thing or two.Im a 28 year old man, and a feminist.  I believe that this show could do what many have been waiting for, which is instill a sense of inspiration not JUST to young women, but to everyone vulnerable through any means of insecurity, that they are made and can do greater things and not to wallow in what they can’t do. And on that note. Im also glad that there is a show like this, with heroes “which our daughters can look up to

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But make it an informed one.

11. Mr. Tran K says:

Something I’m looking forward to this season on Supergirl is Jenna Dewan Tatum as Lucy Lane (Jimmy Olsen’s ex) and there’s a reason why I started to hate Calista Flockhart’s Cat Grant.

12. dan says:

Well, the trailer for what to expect this season makes me interested in watching.

13. m3rcnate says:

The show has a lot to prove to me before I start enjoying it more and think to put it in the league that the Flash is in (since its pilot) or S1 of the Arrow was in.
    Would there be so much praise and equality chants and announcements of originality if green-lit was a show called “Wonder Man”….aka basically Wonder Woman but a Man? Wouldn’t the critiques be the same as being levied against Supergirl? “Be more original, be more creative, create a different character”.
    I get that there aren’t a lot of female characters in comics to pick from that are original and cool and have brand recognition. I get that created an entirely new character doesn’t tap into a established fan base and pop culture awareness. I totally get that. (Though i’d argue it is about damn time Ms. Marvel [first Muslim super hero] got green-lit for a TV show). But that doesn’t have to put you in a creative box where the character comes off as the exact same character as her male counter part but just happens to be a female.
    Anyways, the lead is really good and cute and adorable, there are some things I like about the show, it needs to improve and add a few things (it could really use a male character, a character like Chloe from Smallville but male, to be friends with Kara but 100% platonic. So far there are 3 men on the show, 2 are love interests making a love triangle (Winn, Olsen) and the other is Hank Henshaw who so far just appears to be a tough hard-ass military leader type. Also wouldn’t hurt to add a female that isn’t her sister for her to be friends with. Basically if Kara is Barry, she needs her Cisco and Kaitlin, she has her Felicity (Winn) and Laurel (Olsen).

14. Song4Ten says:

Call me nostalgic, but I want to see MUCH more of Dean Cain as Jeremiah Danvers. Dude didn’t even get to speak in the pilot!

15. NukeGirl says:

I’m going to start with I liked the pilot and I plan to keep watching. I did however find it funny that the same skin that is bullet proof was able to be pierced by an ear piercing gun. I decided the earing post must contain low grade kryptonite. 😝

• Jose Kuervo says:

NukeGirl says: “I did however find it funny that the same skin that is bullet proof was able to be pierced by an ear piercing gun. I decided the earing post must contain low grade kryptonite. 😝”

OR, she got the piercings when she was a child on Krypton!!!

16. lee says:

The record setting premiere notwithstanding, I’m pretty certain that the show is a non event for most women. My female friends (who loved Grey’s Anatomy and Desperate Housewives) barely know the show even exists. Yeah, it’s anecdotal, but the show isn’t quite the pioneering event that it wants to be.

I recall that “Fresh off the Boat” arrived with similar fanfare and it’s doing well, but I don’t think it’s a not exactly a cultural milestone among the Asian community. Most non English speaking Asian immigrants barely watch free American TV.

I really hope the show tone down their agenda and just deliver a fun show like the Flash. I gave up on Glee after 3 seasons because it basically became a musical super PAC. And please, give the “Hayashi” character something of importance to do. He’s a supervillain right?

17. iceblast says:

Kara grow up admiring her Cousin, he worked for the Daily Planet. So, she got a job working for a newspaper as well.

She wants to be like him, so she is trying to copy him, seems like a pretty natural thing to do to me.

I like that the series, is going to try to have the spirit of the 1978 Superman. Since that’s the best one, and they really haven’t made one quite as good as that since.

I think Melissa is great for her role, I think she has a interesting personality, and seems she’s able to show some steel in her eyes. She looks good, and the show feels light and fun, while still having serious moments. Calista as Cat. She is really doing a great job, love her character.

Hopefully, the show will get better and better from here.

• jazzyt2u says:

That’s how I took it too. She’s emulating him…

• Drew says:

The whole big thing with this series is female empowerment, in which Kara realizes her own potential and becomes who she is meant to be.
      So she is meant to be… someone who copies her cousin’s entire life? Over the years, Supergirl went down a lot of different paths. I wish they’d chosen something more unique for the series. Maybe they could have made her a student who eventually pursues psychology. Going this route just forces comparisons to Clark, and he will always win because he is the icon (except on this show where he is a jerk). Supergirl is a really good character at times. She doesn’t need to rely on the Superman formula.

18. Jeannette says:

I so enjoyed the 1st episode of this series.

19. Christine says:

It has only been 1 episode. Give the show a chance to develop the characters.