Bones Sleepy Hollow Crossover

Bones and Sleepy Hollow Teams Talk 'Crazy' Crossover Episodes, Playing Matchmaker and... a Visit to Empire?

Reason-minded Dr. Temperance Brennan and the resurrected Ichabod Crane are debating love in the Jeffersonian lab.

It’s a mid-September day, and the production team behind the Atlanta-shot Sleepy Hollow has taken over Bones‘ Los Angeles set, decked out with Halloween flourishes, to film a scene for the Fox dramas’ upcoming crossover event.

“Faith results from our fear of death, art from our ability to discern an attractive mate and love from our need to procreate,” Emily Deschanel’s Brennan explains.

“Dr. Brennan, the way you look at Agent Booth is far more than just procreation,” Tom Mison’s Ichabod counters.

“Actually, procreation plays a significant part in our relationship,” Brennan replies with a smile.

That unusual exchange comes courtesy of a seemingly outrageous idea from Fox, a melding of universes which kicks off on Thursday night at 8/7c when Ichabod and fellow Witness Abbie Mills travel to Washington, D.C., to claim a headless body under investigation by Brennan and her team.

Although that concept may sound crazy, “It was one that we just jumped at immediately,” Bones co-showrunner Michael Peterson says. “We love the challenge of an unorthodox idea… There were definitely obstacles, but I think the end results are fantastic. We had a ton of fun.”

His stars, however, were a tad skeptical at first.

“My first reaction [was], ‘We don’t really fit in their world, and I don’t really quite understand,'” David Boreanaz recalls during a break from shooting the special two-hour installment. “‘They have more of an occult experience going on with more of a supernatural feel to it. We’re just a little bit more realistic in our environment.'”

Emily Deschanel was similarly perplexed. “I thought they were crazy,” she says with a laugh. “I understand doing a crossover, but that particular show seemed, to me, like an odd choice at first… But then when I thought about it, I thought it could be an interesting challenge. Why do the obvious when you can do something off kilter like this?”

Sleepy‘s leading man Mison says his fears were allayed when he read the scripts. “It fits together really nicely, a lot better than I expected, actually,” he says. “Hats off to both sets of writers, who’ve been flinging scripts back and forth to each other. It feels pretty seamless.”

In the end, the duos find they have more in common than initially thought. But some tricky maneuvering was still required to keep Brennan’s logical brain from exploding. For instance, Deschanel says, it had to work out that those in the Bones universe — like the Sleepy Hollow one — had no inkling of Washington Irving’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and its protagonist, Ichabod Crane.

Meanwhile, Crane isn’t forthcoming about his past or the fact that he’s hundreds of years old. “He still needs to keep certain things secret,” Mison explains. “[There’s] an opportunity for him to be found out slightly in the crossover, which he manages to avoid quite deftly.”

Bones Sleepy Hollow Crossover Photo Abbie BoothAbbie is also “a little reticent to be extremely open because she doesn’t want Booth to find out that there’s more going on,” Sleepy star Nicole Beharie adds.

Speaking of the newly minted FBI agent, Abbie and Booth find out that they have a shared friend: Sleepy‘s late Sheriff August Corbin, who mentored Abbie and even spoke of her to Booth. That leads the veteran G-man to think that “maybe he can be somewhat of a role model for her in the FBI,” Boreanaz previews.

As for Brennan and Crane, they’re not all that different, despite one of them being a woman of science and the other being a time-transplanted Revolutionary War soldier.

“Crane is this guy who’s out of time and out of touch. And in a weird way, Brennan is the exact same way,” Peterson points out. “So it’s not actually that odd for her [when she meets him]. This is a woman who doesn’t get any pop culture references, and neither does he. They’re really well-suited for each other.”

The dynamic between Crane and Booth, however, takes on a different flavor. While shooting a scene featuring the foursome, Boreanaz ends each take with a different, improved zing about Ichabod. The G-man “sees a guy dressed in this peculiar manner and acting in this peculiar manner, and he’s ripe for the picking,” Mison later says, adding that his character views Booth as “an oaf.”

Bones Sleepy Hollow CrossoverSo maybe there isn’t a lot of love between the two men, but could seeing the happy partnership, professionally and personally, between Bones‘ central couple make Ichabod and Abbie reconsider their own relationship status?

“Off-camera, David Boreanaz kept saying, ‘Hey, are you guys going to get together on the show?'” Deschanel says with a laugh. “Nicole was like, ‘No. We have other love interests,’ and we’re like, ‘You guys should get together on the show.’ We’re trying to play matchmakers off-camera for on-camera characters.”

As for what the future holds for Bones, Peterson is already cooking up a fantasy scenario for the show’s next big special event. “We can find Bunkie’s body and crossover with Empire!” the EP suggests. “I think Booth and Brennan have got some pipes on them. They’ll sing a couple tunes.”

1. anon says:

Fun interviews!!

Please watch it before judging

Remember this crossover is for Halloween fun…it isn’t a documentary

2. Anna says:

Ugh. I am not excited about this at all. This is another step on the “Booth is objectively right in his belief, we’re going to show that supernatural things exist” and “Brennan’s materialism and rationalism are objectively wrong and Brennan needs to be taught lessons and is the only one who needs to change” journey the show has been on for the last few seasons. I really, really hate it.

• anon says:

Ummm…Booth believes in supernatural, since when? Unless you are making a dig at his religion?

If you had bothered to read the other articles on this, you would see it was pretty clear that Brennan does NOT believe in supernatural, or in anything Sleepy Hollow, her science wins out .

• Anna says:

I was using the term supernatural to encompass belief in anything non-material, including religious belief. But Booth does believe in some supernatural things besides his religious beliefs. He believes in, and has seen, ghosts.

My point is that in the beginning the show was fair to both points of views. Brennan had her belief in pure science and her atheism and Booth had his Catholicism. Brennan was the logical one and Booth the emotional one. Neither was right or wrong, just different. But as the show has gone on, more and more Booth is shown to be the right one. We see supernatural things like ghosts (Booth’s old soldier friend, Brennan’s mother). Brennan learns lesson after lesson about getting in touch with emotions and feeling things while Booth never learns lessons about being more logical. And when they disagree, most often than not either Booth is right or Brennan lets him have it even when he’s wrong (like when he was overprotective when she was pregnant, she proved that she could take care of herself, and he’s just like I don’t care I’m not going to stop). Brennan has changed so much but Booth has barely changed at all. And this crossover episode between Bones and a a show that includes clearly supernatural or religious things, is just another example of that.

• heather says:

Angel believes in supernatural, not Booth 😉

3. SayNay says:

This has all the potential to be a disaster, but of course I will watch because we need to get SH’s demo numbers up. Even if this is a success, please dear god no Empire crossover. Fox is already a sad network, no need to drag it down further.

Also other networks please avoid this. “Crossovers” don’t need to be the new musical episode.

4. Babybop says:

I for one, am excited about this! I love the off-camera matchmaking for on-camera characters comment. I’m a shameless Ichabbie shipper, what can I say.

5. heather says:

Bones has had Stewy Griffin appear to Booth

It has had Cyndi Lauper as a psychic, who helped B&B solve multiple cases

It had a whole ep about a ghost boy in season 8

It had a character who had special finder powers

It had Brennan talk to her dead mom, who told her things no one else knew..

Yet a Sleepyhollow crossover, were it has been made clear that the Bones world will NOT accept any supernatural conclusions, is the end of the world…really guys, really?

Watch it, enjoy it…pretty sure it won’t be mentioned again in future eps

6. Bella says:

I can’t imagine how they’re going to make this work, but as a fan of both shows, kudos to them for giving it a shot, and I’m interested in seeing the result.

7. kmw says:

Great interview I and think it will be great couple of shows. Neither of these episodes is about teaching Brennan a lesson or anything other than trying to entertain people. I don’t watch Sleepy Hollow but I am looking forward to that as well because of who the characters are. I admit I didn’t think much of this idea at first but it has grown on me. If you are a Bones fan this should be good also because Booth and Brennan are going to try and pull pranks on each other. Bones hasn’t had a Halloween episode since season three and we are getting a Thanksgiving episode as well, I think good stuff to look forward to. For Sleepy Hollow I do wish their ratings were better and really hope this helps. Sleepy Hollow got moved to the wrong night and it has showed so far but maybe it would still be struggling if hadn’t moved. As far as that Empire reference don’t give that much thought, they were joking. Looking forward to tomorrow night

8. Yup, looks like another one i’ll be skipping. Skipped the episode with Betty White, I despise her. Yes I hate a little old lady. I jumped ship after 6 episodes of Sleepy Hollow in the 1st season & I don’t wanna have to go back to watching that just for a crossover episode. So no thanks.

9. Carol C says:

I’ve never watched Sleepy Hollow, and this will give me a reason to check it out.

10. Castlefan says:

I’ve never seen Sleepy Hollow but love Bones and this crossover sounds like a lot of fun. I’m disappointed that some people are dismissing it without even giving it a try, but I’m really looking forward to it. If I like the characters I may even watch the rest of Sleepy Hollow. Something a bit different for Halloween – why not?

• SayNay says:

I think a lot of people have been dismissing the crossover because the worlds and genres of the show are so different. I’m a loyal Sleepy Hollow fan and watch Bones too, so even if I think this is a potentially terrible idea I’m still watching.

11. Pat says:

I love both of these shows, so I will sit back and enjoy these crossovers.

12. jp says:

Yaaaasssssss David, be a good fangirl and ship IchAbbie! Maybe you can convince those darn writers!

13. Richard says:

No Ichabbie. Their dynamic is perfect as it is. Do love interests the same way Hawaii 5-0 does and let Crane have Ross in real time and Abbie date her boss ;) If you do it the way they do so their background characters to give the main characters more depth than that could work wonders for the show

14. Don S. says:

I have been trying to discover the spelling and meaning of the name they gave the zombie soldiers…something like ‘dragar’ or ‘dragool’. Can anyone provide more info?

15. ash21 says:

Bones has not had the appeal for me since they stopped having Booth and Bones in scenes together, and gave Aubrey 80% of the screen time! He is a totally worthless character that has intruded on B&B’s scenes together! I thought maybe they would fix that this season since last season was a disaster; but so far, I was wrong. Many fans have expressed their disgust with that issue. I don’t understand why a show has a ratings-winning formula, and they always seem to want to screw it up! I still have not seen much B&B time together, and they still do not touch each other! Fans have expressed for the past couple of years that they would like to see B&B have more TOGETHER scenes, act like they are in love, and have been through hell to be together! We don’t get to see that award winning chemistry if they are barely together! We continue to NOT be shown the life-changing scenes! It is as though the birth of their second child was no big deal! These actors are getting paid an unbelievable amount of money to not give fans what they have been wanting to see! It is no wonder Fox’s ratings have been in decline – they continue to ingnore fan feedback, do what they want, and chase fans off! Most people want to see a little romance (and certainly more screen time) between B&B! Showing them in seperate corners for 95% of the show will not draw fans back in! Booth and Bones TOGETHER is what got us hooked on the show, and what would have kept our interest, but I guess Fox, the actors, writers, and producers of the show do not care about that. Goodbye Bones, I wish it could have ended on a good note.