The Brink Cancelled

The Brink Cancelled at HBO (After Getting Renewed!)

HBO has had second thoughts about going back to The Brink.

After renewing the Jack Black-Tim Robbins comedy for a second season back in July, HBO has done an about-face and cancelled the series, TVLine has confirmed.

Here’s the official HBO statement: “After evaluating our schedule and our programming needs, we unfortunately decided we cannot give The Brink the attention it deserves for a second season. We are proud of the first season and wish everyone involved in this show the very best.”

The Brink focused on a geopolitical crisis and its effect on three disparate and desperate men: Secretary of State Walter Hollander (Robbins),  State Department bureaucrat Alex Talbot (Black) and pilot Zeke Tilson (Pablo Schreiber).

1. flowerduh says:

Awwww man! I was looking forward to the next season.

Another great program gone!

• Lisa says:

The Brink had the potential to become this generation’s M*A*S*H. The Brink had a magical combination of political realism, social insight, captivating performers, and brilliant wit. Given the entirely unique circumstances of this post-renewal-cancellation, I suspect political interference. The Brink had such a singular voice that I am STILL angry it was silenced.

2. Ray says:

Damn. I was looking forward to those crazy Pakistani militants getting their comeuppance at India’s hands.

3. jimbo says:

Haven’t watched the show at all but man, that’s a really dick move by HBO.

4. Will says:

What attention does it need? Just pair it up with Veep or Silicon Valley next year and you’re good. HBO doesn’t care about black people.

5. Tom says:

Awww man that sucks. Baffled by this move but nothing that can be done

6. LAwoman says:

Ugh! I liked The Brink.

7. A.J. says:

Maybe they will uncancel Looking!!! A boy can dream.

• Sokratis says:

Oh God, lets hope that stays a dream, fans of Looking should be grateful for a TV-film conclusion…

Waste of a good comedy with The Brink gone now…

8. damianvargas says:

I hope this puts an end to the all the commenters who act like they know everything. I always laugh when someone asks if a show is cancelled or will be cancelled and there is always at least one person who responds that if there is a renewal that it’s a done deal. A renewal only guarantees that a network is open to another season but you better believe in whatever they sign there is a way out for them should it be necessary.

• Win says:

While I agree that some are quick to post as if those who are unaware how many scripts of a show were already filmed or lengths of actor/actress contracts are somehow lacking intelligence, and that can be annoying, I don’t think people are out of line or “know-it-alls” for thinking renewal = renewing production = yay, my show’s coming back.” Until Hindsight and The Brink, the only shows I’d known of (not to say there weren’t shows I was unaware had the same issue – I certainly don’t know…it…uh, all) that had renewals rescinded happened because a person or animal(s) died or got in some kind of legal trouble (that scoundrel Mr. Ed!) that made it a poor decision to continue on. But yes, you’re right that we know now that “renewed” might just be the TV viewer’s Fight Club ending.

9. dj says:

Well that stinks!

10. Tea says:

The Brink was great. I was hoping for at least a movie finale like Hello Ladies but oh well.

11. Ellinaras78 says:

And Ballers is still renewed? Pathetic HBO!!!

12. Jackie says:

Tim Robbins was the only good thing this show had going for it. And the directing was good. Other than that, it wasn’t that great of a show. The overall writing was terrible and even though I know it was supposed to be wacky satire, the storylines did not keep my attention. And there was a lot of lowest common denominator humor. I think if you would have put this between Veep and Silicon Valley, it would have made this show look worse. BUT, if Ballers is still going to be on the air and The Brink isn’t, that is a true travesty. I’d watch The Brink over Ballers any day.

13. Kevin H. says:

This new trend is really pissing me off! First VH1 did this with Hindsight and now HBO is doing the same thing. It’s unfair to the talent involved but also to the fans– stop it!!

14. Heidi says:

This program was hilarious! I’m so bummed.

15. Marilyn says:

Schrieber and Black were funny, but the hilarious Robbins was the star. Loads of LOL with his scenes. Too bad about the flip flop. I really wanted to see what the heck crisis they would be dealing with in S2. Darn.

16. Et al. says:

Please tell me Getting On had already filmed. I was thrilled it got renewed but was baffled by it at the time. I don’t want them re-evaluating their needs all over that show too.

17. Andres says:

wth.
    it was a funny show.
    i hope the producers find a way to keep it alive.

18. Matt says:

If you can take back a renewal how did we get a sixth season of Glee?!

19. Heba says:

DAMN. I really liked it and was looking forward for the second season. If we can’t trust HBO, then what’s left?! This is it people, the end of the world is upon us…

20. Heathers says:

That sucks. The Brink was hilarious. I liked it much more than Ballers, which pretty much sucks balls. Even with Dwayne Johnson in the lead, the show just blows.

21. Reiley says:

What the hell? Who’s the dumbass who made that decision to say “renew” and then “oops, after thinking about it, we aren’t” ? Robbins, Black & Schreiber were great to watch. It will be missed, could be a good fit for Amazon or Netflix?

22. Brenda says:

The Brink was truly a show worth watching. HBO cancelled this show, and really gave a ridiculous reason. I hope some station in cable brings it back because it was very good writing, and dead on what is happening in the world today. Maybe that’s why HBO cancelled because it was giving us the real truth about what goes on behind the curtain. Shame on you HBO! No guts, no glory! To quote a movie line, “you can’t handle the truth”.

23. Randy Singer, says:

Great show

24. bob says:

too bad, really enjoyed the first season of The Brink and was looking forward to season 2.

25. Terry DuBose says:

Did the cancellation of The Brink have something to do with the real politics in the Middle East?

26. sue abrams says:

I loved this show. It was funny and clever.

27. John says:

i wanna know why the brink is getting canceled over ballers cause the brink is funny as hell and ballers is only about football players spending money thats it.If the brink had as many ads as ballers it would get the viewers that hbo wants most people i tell about the brink they never even seen a ad for it but they heard about ballers hundreds of times and when they watch both shows not one can even finish 1 show of ballers but the brink they want to watch every episode so renew the brink and if you have to cancel ballers so you dont have scheduling problems

Do the smart thing there is still a chance to make money here

28. rick dugger says:

Wow I really enjoyed the show. This is bs move by hbo give it a chance to build on the momentum. But keep giving girls season after season of low ratings wtf

29. Mike says:

Why?!?!?!!! Great show!!! Very dissapointed, was looking forward to more Brink! We really enjoyed the it!
    To quote BaBa Booey, I think it’s “a bit of a stumble” by HBO to cancel.

30. Phil says:

WTF?! I just found out about this when I was trying to see if there were any new episodes out yet. It was a great show full of potential. How could you, HBO?!

31. The Brink was the greatest show in the long bitter history of HBO comedy. The world will not survive without it. This is the saddest day of the year; All over the station house, the boys are crying.

32. Jacob Bisenberger says: