Supernatural Impala Episode

Supernatural Stars on Impala-Run Hour: 'We Never See the Boys Do This Stuff'

From day one of Supernatural, there have been three stars at the center of the series: Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and the Winchesters’ beloved ’67 Chevrolet Impala. It’s only fitting then that the brothers’ mobile homebase finally gets it own episode this Wednesday (The CW, 9/8c), appropriately titled “Baby.”

The unique hour is told entirely from the vehicle’s perspective, allowing for a different peek at the hunters’ lifestyle during a job and the quiet moments in between. For example, one scene features a particularly poignant talk between Dean and Sam as they slumber in the car, for which Padalecki was especially excited.

Supernatural Impala Episode

“When I read the script, I was like, ‘We never see the boys do this stuff. I can’t wait to see it,'” he recalls during a recent visit to the show’s Vancouver set. “That should be something we do more often. We usually have the come-to-God [moment] in the middle of this library or something… But what a cool glimpse into the Winchesters and how they travel. We’re not getting a motel every night. It’s going to be, ‘Hey, don’t want to waste the money, crash in the car and wake up and head out.'”

Telling this week’s story from the Impala’s point of view also meant switching up how the show is filmed. “It was the first ever in 200-something episodes that we shot like that,” Padalecki says. “It was a brand new style.”

Supernatural Impala EpisodeDirector Thomas J. Wright, a veteran of Smallville and Millennium who was Alfred Hitchcock’s storyboard artist, rigged cameras to the car. Meanwhile, a member of the sound crew rode in the Impala’s trunk in a bucket seat. (Check out sound mixer Donald Painchaud’s video below.)

“We’ve done things that have for us seemed similar to that, but certainly have never shot an entire show like that,” Ackles describes. “So there was a bit of a learning curve, and once Tom figured out how he wanted to do it, then it was just getting used to that setup.”

“A lot of stuff, I think, caught us off guard,” Padalecki adds. “But we just rolled with the punches and a little bit of improving” — such as the boys singing a classic tune! — “which is always fun.”

With all the screen time the Impala gets in the installment, it’s no surprise that Jeff Budnick, the show’s picture car coordinator, says, “That was the busiest [episode] I’ve done in 11 years. We had all eight cars working.”

And like the Winchesters, “Baby” also takes a few hits. There was “blood everywhere,” Budnick shares. “The cars that I had to repair from that episode, five of them had to get new headliners because of the cameras ripping through the headliners. We had to put carpets in and the glass got cracked. It was a lot of work to get them back to normal.”

1. Jane says:

Really looking forward to this episode. Oh if Baby could talk the thinks she could reveal!

2. Lambsilencer says:

Thomas J. Wright is indeed a great director. I remember his “Millennium” episodes fondly, he also helmed a few very good “NCIS” episodes IIRC. And way back, he directed great installments of “Beauty & The Beast” with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman.

3. Linda says:

Ah yes, the three Winchesters! Please don’t let me down. Please don’t let me down. Please don’t let me down. (I wonder if TVLine will actually do a recap of this episode.)

4. Deb says:

I can’t wait for this episode, it looks like so much fun. And the boys are going to sing along to the radio again? Sign me up!

5. Lysh says:

This sounds like it will be interesting!

6. Carla Krae says:

Wow, I didn’t realize they had 8 different Impalas to work with now.

7. Carrie says:

Can’t wait. This could be a terrific episode.

8. Been waiting for this episode since they talked about it at Comic Con. I really like the change-up of style. I hope it’s as good as all the snippets imply.

9. ninamags says:

This is gonna be epic!!

Can’t wait.

10. Jackie L Vester says:

I am so excited for this episode. I’ve always considered baby to be a really huge part of the show. It’s about time she get an episode all about her and how she protects her “little brothers” Right on Supernatural!!!

11. Ange says:

Im so excited for this.

12. 49erfaithfulSexy#7 says:

I think its awesome for the Impala 67′ to finally be considered a protagonist in Supernatural, even if its just this one episode. Personally, 11 yrs ago, I began to watch the show not only cause I thought it was a cool a Sci-Fi vamp/ monster hunting and killing show, but also because of the Black Impala. The car caught my attention, cause I kept thinking of Knight Rider. I was not even born when Knight Rider was a show, but I love the trans am. So after a couple of episodes in Season 1 of Supernatural, I got hooked to Jensen, and Jared. Thus, the Black Impala 67′ is iconic!

13. Hope says:

COUNT DOWN HAS STARTED!! 4 hr, 15 min to go before the “BABY” episode is on!!!! I know this show will be fantastic, every show is fantastic! What makes SUPERNATURAL my number 1 show you ask? The 3 Winchesters, of course! JARED, JENSEN AND BABY are HOT HOTT HOTTT!!!!!

14. Outside of my love for Jensen and Jared since day 1, I had a ’67 Impala and miss her tremendously! So “Baby” here’s to ya girl!

• Nero the TVfiddler says:

My family had a 1965 Impala when I was a kid. Loved that car – got to me through college. The ’65, ’66 and ’67 ‘coke-bottle’ bodies by Fischer were very similar in look and driving. They came in 327 and 283 engines (with the SS models having bigger cc” size). Our ’65 was a pretty blue w/327. Tremendous power.

Owning another vintage Impala of that mid-60’s era is on my ‘bucket list’. As soon as I have a nice garage to store it in.

I’ve watched Supernatural a few times, but never caught the engine size of the car/’Baby’. I’m assuming it is a 327. The ‘Caprice’ was introduced around this time as well (’65-’67) – a high-end luxury Impala with ‘Caprice’ badges and the (then) new vinyl tops and appointed interiors.

15. Tee says:

What happen to supernateraul it was my favorite show yes we still have the boys but the show had such great music and stories but its changed not like ir use to be now its just ok not the bomb love sam and dean!!