Agents of SHIELD Preview

S.H.I.E.L.D. EP Wants You to Just 'Show Up and Experience' Jemma's Story

It’s been promoted as an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode like no other (or some such words) — and having seen “4,722 Hours” (airing tonight at 9/8c), I can confirm that the tout is indeed true.

As suggested by promos and sneak peeks, the Season 3 outing picks up shortly after Jemma (played by Elizabeth Henstridge) confided in Fitz (Iain De Caestecker), “Something happened to me, on the other side” of the portal, during her six months on that strange planet. Speaking with S.H.I.E.L.D. EP Jeffrey Bell for November Sweeps preview — and before I had seen the episode — I asked if Simmons knows what happened to her and wants/needs to “undo” it, or is she angling to find out what happened to her by somehow traveling back to that other world?

In part because he himself is someone “who really likes to show up to something with an ‘Oh my God, what’s going to happen?'” curiosity, Bell answered, “Here’s the thing: I’m very protective of this episode, and I just want people to show up and experience it with Simmons. Something happened, she wants to tell that story to Fitz, and we get to see that.”

Bell was similarly cryptic, in that Marvel creative kind of way, about whether Simmons’ hope is to somehow reconstitute the Kree stone that transported her to the planet the first time around, or find or create a new portal, ideally with Fitz’s help. “What we’re looking to do is go where that one took us,” Bell hedged. “Whether they’re able reconstitute the rock or not… Simmons seems to have a reason to want to do that.”

One thing the S.H.I.E.L.D. EP was crystal clear about was his satisfaction with the out-of-this-world final product, an episode that is alternately nightmarish (in what it puts Jemma through), thrilling (in how she often brilliantly endures it) and downright surprising (in… um, surprising ways).

“The planet has a cool look, the landscape is really beautiful, and we worked very hard on that,” he said. “Though we don’t have the time, budget and scope of [the Matt Damon sci-fi film] The Martian, this was something we knew we were going to do last year, so we’re really excited. And Elizabeth [Henstridge] is really great in it.”

Want more scoop on S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. John NYC says:

“We can neither confirm, nor deny….”

2. JW KC says:

So looking forward to it!

3. Sarah says:

Can’t wait I’m sure its going to be super :)

4. Jason. P says:

All the mystery doesn’t make me want to watch it more becasue it usually leads back to angsty story lines that have to do with her will they won’t they relationship to fitz…

5. I watched the first episode then forgot about it. Storyline to messy and inconsistent. SHEILD can hack JAVIS no problem. but can’t hack a teens laptop please

6. Steven says:

I wouldn’t be shocked if she meets someone there, falls in love with them and that’s why she wants to go back. Poor Fitz

• The lonely tourist says:

Honestly, I’ll be more than a little annoyed if that’s the route the writers choose to pursue. They’ve been building up the Fitzsimmons relationship since season 1 and despite the extraordinary circumstances, throwing in a third wheel love interest is pretty formulaic. Plus it’s not like they don’t have enough obstacles in their way already what with the psychological trauma they’ve both been through. Unfortunately, I read an article about this episode on tv guide that was a bit more spoilerish and it seemed to vaguely hint at what you’re proposing. I’m definitely excited to see how things play out but I have my qualms as well.

• Steven says:

Really? I was honestly joking but if true :(

• Robert Dassler says:

I think that the key words there are “vaguely hint”. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that Simmons is getting a “Space Boyfriend!” (as some poor souls have taking to wailing on other sites). Of course, it maybe doesn’t help that the producers are so inscrutable that people are forced to create wild and inaccurate theories to fill in the gaps were genuine evidence should be.

• The lonely tourist says:

I apologize, if my above message was overly pessimistic. Reading between the lines of the scant details that have been provided, my theory is not that Simmons fell in love with someone on the planet but that she did meet someone who helped her survive. Her motive for returning is to save this person and I just have a feeling this might rub Fitz the wrong way, as HE may perceive this person to be a rival for Jemma’s affections. Again this is all speculation on my part and I fully concede that I may be way off the mark.

• The lonely tourist says:

I will also finally add, that regardless of how things play out I’m quite confident that Fitz will fully step up to help Simmons find a way back to the planet. Even if he has some initial feelings of jealousy over the fact that she probably formed a deep bond with someone else, I’d like to believe that he’s matured enough to push past this. Obviously you can see I’m ridiculously over-invested in this storyline but as a nerdy scientist myself I’ve always had a soft spot for these two.