DWTS Andy Grammer

Dancing With the Stars Week 7 Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

With the help of a terrifying clown mask, some freaky colored contact lenses and a weirdly erotic sound bite from Julianne Hough, Monday’s episode of Dancing With the Stars succeeded in being scary.

But it wasn’t exactly scary good.

In fact, a whole hour went by before contestants started turning in above-average performances, and even then, only one pair impressed the judges enough to earn a perfect score. (Shocker of shockers: It was Bindi and Derek.)

The addition of two excellent team dances was still enough to make the evening a graveyard smash, but in the seventh week of the competition, Monday’s Halloween-themed outing fell just shy of expectations. With that said, let’s rank each of the evening’s performances, with 15 words (or less) of commentary:

10. Nick Carter and pro Sharna Burgess (Argentine Tango) — Sexy, passionate and thoroughly entertaining — but did it include much “Argentine tango” choreography? Judges’ Score: 24/30

9. Tamar Braxton and pro Val Chmerkovskiy (Foxtrot) — Nothing like an overconfident pre-performance video package to practically ensure a lackluster, out-of-sync routine. Judges’ Score: 24/30

8. Hayes Grier and pro Emma Slater (Waltz) — A perfectly lovely and elegant routine… but difficult to remember, aside from the facial hair. Judges’ Score: 26/30

7. Alek Skarlatos and pro Lindsay Arnold (Viennese Waltz) — Artem’s advice seemed to help immensely, but Alek still suffers from Blank Face Syndrome. Judges’ Score: 25/30

6. Andy Grammer and pro Allison Holker (Paso Doble) — Andy’s movements were more choppy than elegant, but he remained seductive throughout. (Just ask Julianne.) Judges’ Score: 26/30

5. Alexa PenaVega and pro Mark Ballas (Paso Doble) — Alexa redeemed herself after last week, but seemed a tad frantic in her motions. Judges’ Score: 27/30

4. Carlos PenaVega and pro Witney Carson (Paso Doble) — Even with a half-masked face, Carlos brought intensity and intention to every step. Judges’ Score: 29/30

3. Bindi Irwin and pro Derek Hough (Argentine Tango) — Most polished and crisp choreography of the night, though Bindi’s too sweet to play evil. Judges’ Score: 30/30

2. Team Who Ya Gonna Call? — Fun and recognizable Ghostbusters theme, but the team seemed just nervous enough to get sloppy. Judges’ Score: 28/30

1. Team Nightmare — Concept was original, choreography was intricate — and who doesn’t like a good Beetlejuice Nightmare Before Christmas (thanks, briarswt!) homage? Judges’ Score: 30/30

And now, the results — which may disappoint those of you who check Vine multiple times per day:

THREE COUPLES IN JEOPARDY
Hayes Grier and pro Emma Slater
Tamar Braxton and pro Val Chmerkovskiy
Alexa PenaVega and pro Mark Ballas

ELIMINATED
Hayes Grier and pro Emma Slater

Your turn! Did Hayes and Emma deserve to get the boot? Which Halloween routine was your favorite? Hit the comments!

1. Al says:

Is it me or is this cast pretty dull? The only one I like is Bindi. I just can’t get into season and I think
    It’s b.c of the cast which lacking compared to S19 and 20

• Matt Smith says:

I feel the opposite. I find Bindi annoying and fake but I really love lots of the other cast members left.

• Josh says:

Oh yes she can’t be a generally good natured person or anything SMH I love Bindi.it’s a shame her being a happy person can’t be seen as genuine.

• Sandra J Eshelman says:

Believe me she is real!

• Kathy Murphy says:

I agree, I think Bindi is very annoying

• mrsfoxxe says:

No Bindi should go home. Take the mirror ball & leave. She won minute she arrived. Poor little girl her Daddy died!

• mrsfoxxe says:

I agree. She won from minute she walked in. Poor girl her daddy died, give her the mirror ball!

• You are the very definition of a jerk. You know nothing about this person. Did you have anyone die in your family? Oh wait, no one in your family was noticeable enough to be remembered. She has great talent and a lovely personality, unlike you.

• TJ says:

Boy, this says it all. Nice to see such a young girl that is so mature with a lovely personality. What can possibly be fake about her? Good grief, this is what the world needs for a change.

• Samantha says:

I love Hayes why did they eliminate them.😍😭 They were so good!! And I think that Val and Tamar should have gotten out! Why not them?

• Samantha says:

I agree with you. She is just happy, and that’s surprising saying that her dad died.

• Sam says:

Or doesn’t matter at all if someone in your family dies and the world doesn’t know about it, it just matters if you know and bindi is a great dancer so is everyone else on the show but Carrie Ann doesn’t know what she’s saying half the time! 🙄

• She is the very essence of who her dad was. he was the same as she. Loved life loved people loved animals.

• i so agree with you! I think the judges are being un-fairly partial to Bindi and whenever she open her mouth I cringe!!!! the other dancers are trying just as hard but are always coming up short of decent scores, except guess who? BINDI and DEREK. Julianne should not be judging her brother unless she is dancing against him, and I bet the perfect scores would stop. Carrie ann should stop as well.

• I agree with you. If I’m correct isn’t Emma then one the is pregnant . I think that was more of the elimination of Hayes.

• Phyllis Rogers says:

I fully agree with you. The other dancers are very good but Derek and Bindi are getting so much more publicity than all the other dancers, do the others really have a chance. Julianne should not be a judge with Derek dancing. I have just been switching the TV off when I see these two getting perfect scores every night.

• Peggy says:

Agree Julianne shouldn’t judge her brother.

• Beth says:

Julianne or Derek need to go. It is not fair to the others. Julianne is the first one to throw up a 10 and say “Oh I didn’t see Bindi mess up?’ And your point as a Judge? Derek is getting the highest scores every week. He is not the best! But if your SISTER is a judge oh well. ABC get your stuff together. You’re allowing nepotism to dictate this show. Get Julianne or Derek off this show. Not good for network image.

• Marian Motley says:

I agree Bindi is annoying and a lot of drama. The judges seems to have spells and favorites, some should get 10’s dont ..

• Ginger Snap says:

Gotta agree with you. Maybe ABC won’t give DWTS a season off, but I stopped watching 3 weeks ago.

• Phyllis Rogers says:

Can anyone tell me how the dancers are matched up. It seems that Tony always gets a bad one and he is so good but Derek always gets the best. Why don’t DWTS go out on the street and pick unknown people to come on the show to dance and maybe it would not be a personality or popularity contest !!!

• Maddie says:

the whole thing was rigged Hayes had higher scores then Alek but Hayes went home lmk #bringbackhayesandemma

• Susan David says:

Scores are a combination of call-ins from the public and judges’ scores…and they are from the week BEFORE. Regardless of what Hayes scored THIS week, that didn’t count towards this week’s elimination. Even if it had, if public scoring is much lower for one contestant over another, it’s very easy for someone who scored higher with judges to be sent home. Happens all the time.

• KC says:

Absolutely not – who would ever want to see that kid again! #hayesshouldhaveleftweek1

• jr. says:

Alek should have gone home last night. Too bad Bindi chose Alek over Hayes, because Alek just fumbled through their group production number.

• Terry says:

I agree. I can’t believe the judges called out the girls for messing up when all I noticed was Alek messing up big time. Also, how immature is he to throw up the double middle fingers to the (not present) judges during rehearsal. Brutal.

• Perry Neheum says:

The sole reason Bindi is on the show is her late father’s name. Face it!

• Neva says:

If that’s your only complaint then there are plenty of others who have been on for less legitimate reasons. Never heard of Hayes before, Alek’s claim to fame is stopping a terror attack otherwise we would never have ever heard of him, Alexa’s time was long ago, etc., etc. She brings youth to the show and though I don’t particular have a fondness for her, she is doing just fine.

• LC says:

Couldn’t agree more! I had to ask my 15 year old daughter who the heck Hayes was when he came one the show. She told me but even she said that they should have cast his brother. I guess his brother is a much more well-known Viner than Hayes.

• Michael says:

She’s been the lead in two movies (Free Willy: Escape from Pirate’s Cove and Return to Nim’s Island) and the star of multiple nature-themed television shows. She has taken her father’s legacy and done a lot with it. Part of the joy of DWTS is meeting “stars” that you’ve never heard of but that have great stories/personalities.

2. briarswt says:

FYI – it wasn’t an homage to Beetlejuice – it was Nightmare Before Christmas through and through – and it was awesome

• Angela says:

Yes, it was :D. I was smiling through the whole thing, and humming along with the song. I love that movie, so I admit a bit of bias because of that, but still…it was a really fun dance.
      Yeah, there weren’t really much in the way of technically perfect dances tonight, no, but I still had fun watching just ’cause it was entertaining seeing everyone get all costumed up and dance to spooky/creepy songs (very, very surreal to hear Marilyn Manson, of all people, getting played on this show. Or a Doors song, for that matter :p).

3. Josh says:

I wish Tamar would have left. She’s not the best dancer at all and I love sexy Emma!

• tezra says:

You areso sick . She is one of the best dancers there. People don’t care for her because she’s not that uncle Tom yall use to. I expect that from this kind tv.

• Sally says:

Why did you have to bring up Uncle Tom? Tamar’s race wasn’t even brought up, her dancing skills were

• haley says:

How I feel about her has nothing to do with her race. She is a great dancer when she’s not shaking her butt and acting like a hoe for the sex appeal.

• Angela says:

When has she acted like a “ho”? All the women “shake their butts” on this show and do sexy routines and moves and whatnot for the sex appeal. Just like most of the men take off their shirts at some point for the sex appeal. What makes Tamar’s moves in particular supposedly so “ho”-like?

• haley says:

She does shake her butt alot and I know all of the girls go for the sex appeal but the way she does it is so…… saying she acted like a hoe was a bad word but she has shown her elegant side and she did amazing I just think trying to show her sex appeal so much doesn’t work with her.

• Terry says:

She was set up big time by the producers. If you can’t see that, you’re blind. smdh.

• Asia says:

Wow. We must because watching two different shows because I have never seen Tamar acting like a hoe.

• haley says:

Like I said hoe was a very bad word for that I just wish she would do more elegant dances like she has done she is so beautiful when she does them.

• haley says:

She is a great dancer she just needs to take it slow.

• Peggy says:

Now the judges say she’s not shaking her but enough, hence the disconnect when dancing with Val, and yet you say she shakes butt too much and looks like a hoe. Its a matter of perspective which is usually the one who’s perceiving. I believe Tamar is a good dancer which is MY perspective.

• Shannon says:

How is this person “sick” for thinking Tamar isn’t the best dancer? I happen to think she’s very good, she just needs to work on her chemistry with Val.

• Peggy says:

Agree. And the producers and judges are picking on her, so I expect she’ll go home Monday, and I’ll no longer be a DWTS fan. Tamar is a very sensitive woman and doesn’t receive harsh criticism well. We don’t know what her experiences with criticism have been and should respect what’s unknown. I think Bruno is a bit over indulging in his sexuality but he’s still judging. Don’t be so quick to characterize people when you don’t know who they really are being the makeup. Something to think about.

• Angela says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Kim says:

Many not liking Tamar has nothing to do with the race card but way to play it. It is her attitude people don’t like. She does not connect well with Val and he has said it, she feels disconnected from him and the dance.

• Cynthia says:

You are so wrong!!! She is a great dancer. Like the person said she must work on her chemistry with Val!!!!!

• KS Sisco says:

Don’t be a hater cause someone makes that kind of statement. She explained to you that is her self confidence to get through. Watch, pay attention and then make the right comments. The judges have already picked Season 21 winners.

• fran green says:

I so agree! Hayes was a much better dancer. Val has a way of making anyone he dances with look like they are doing better than the rest.

• Anne says:

Me too. Her whole attitude to the show stinks. “I’m the best dancer” attitude leads a person to think she is going to bring her A game, but instead it comes off like “I’m to good to be here.”

Alex needs to shape it up as well.

• Anne says:

Alek needs to shape it up as well.

• Judith says:

I agree…I think Tamar should have gone home. I feel sorry for Val. He has the most horrible partner ever. She may be able to dance but not with a partner. She loves herself but she doesn’t know how to follow her wonderful partner…and it shows in her poor performance !!!

4. Colleen stangl says:

Bring back Julianne hough as a dancer for a season.I would love to see her play against Derek.I lovebindi and derek.

• Noelle70 says:

We’ve seen Derek & Julianne dance together several times, and while sis hogs the spotlight, her modest brother Derek trumps her every time!

5. karen jamerson says:

Stop cheating Tamar. She deserves higher scores.

6. Tom says:

This is what really sucks about the show — when great dancers go home early. Hayes elimination was frustrating, oh well.

7. Chris says:

Tamar is so arrogant and I’m sick of Alek already.

• Terri says:

Thank you!Tamar’s ego has gotten the best of her and her personality makes her look ugly, even though she is a very beautiful woman. And what is with that sound she makes? That just makes me dislike her even more. It’s very childish and not something a grown woman should do so often in public.

8. Orange says:

Phone line busy for Val no one can get thru

9. Angela says:

The right couple went home, no complaints! The real shocker was Tamar and Val being in jeopardy???!! This show is just fake, scripted nonsense. The producers are only keeping Derek around so that he can win some more emmys for the show. I’m so done with this.

10. Hayes was a contender, He was always told of his good lines, the only fault I heard from the judges was he didn’t hold his head up enough. Not enough to get him thrown off. IMO a few others could have gone instead of this young man.He was still a great dancer. But it’s going to be hard watching from now on because they all are relatively good, and they’re somebody’s favorite. It is what it is.

11. Karissa Ervin says:

Hayes did so amazing, and some contestants who did even worst still stayed on. He worked so hard for this.

12. Mia says:

Bae went home and i’m not turning the TV on again on a Monday night !

13. Mia says:

of course the wrong couple got eliminated! i’m so pissed right now!!

14. Nicole says:

there was no reason for Hayes to be eliminated. he wasn’t even in the bottom of the leader board any week. he had more votes than anyone. they are just scared that another teenager will take home the mirror ball again instead of someone “more important” like Alek or Bindi. this obviously shows that it is rigged

15. DiAnn says:

Team Nightmare, by far. Loved the hand movements. Best team dance since “What Would the Fox Say” a couple years ago. Ghostbusters’ choreography was humdrum and boring.

• ds says:

Yet Ghostbusters got a 28, which was way over-scored. Their score should have been no higher than 24. It’s because the of who was on that team. Seriously, a 10 for them, get JH off the judging panel (using the excess smoke as an excuse to give them a 10). Ridiculous.

16. kathy says:

I don’t think Julianne should be a judge. She always gives Derek good scores. I think Val deserved better.

17. Tracey Treadway says:

No, they didn’t deserve to go! I was very unhappy, they were awesome together!

18. Tena says:

No! Not Hayes! He and Emma had such chemistry and he was doing great! I am disappointed because I did vote for them each week.

19. Karen says:

It seems to be a popularity contest, rather than a dance competition!!! Even though they score high, it is left up to the public?? If you are well known & liked, they will get the votes! Not for their performance!!!

• Bill says:

You’re just realizing that now after 20 seasons? Of course it’s a popularity contest.If you don’t have a fan base, or some great back story, you are off the show quickly no matter how well you can dance.

• Angela says:

This. I’m amazed that anyone who’s seen even one season of a reality competition series still seems genuinely shocked at the idea that they could be fixed or be a popularity contest. This is nothing new, people.

20. Perry Neheum says:

The sole reason Bindi is on the show at all is her late father’s name. Face it!

• Angela says:

And that makes her different from any of the other people who’ve been on here because of some family connection…how?
      Fact remains, she’s a genuinely good dancer. She isn’t just coasting by on her dad’s name, people actually like her and likely don’t even think about her dad much, if at all, during her routines.

21. Stella Beck says:

All I want to know is…..if Val is so great why does he have to take his shirt off all the time?
    Did you see last night when they were all standing on stage, he was in the back when he ripped his shirt off and starting jumping up and down so he could be seen. This was after they got they’re not too great scores.

22. mc says:

tamars’ over- confidance,and condenscending facial expressions makes me hope she is eliminated.

23. Ana says:

I think that the judges are really hard on Tamar. She called herself the best dancer and everyone says she needs to humble herself. It is a competition aren’t you supposed to think you’re the best? If you truly watch Bindi she makes mistakes. Her lift in the Dirty Dancing recreation was not all that great (especially the arms). It was pointed out last night when she caused her team a lower score, Julianne replies with ” Bindi made mistake? I didn’t even see it!” Because she is NEVER called on anything she does wrong. I also think that the back stories play a lot into the votes and not the actual dancing. Tamar is consistently better than Alex but gets lower judges scores. Pathetic.

24. JBC says:

We are in the point of the competition where all the dancers are enjoyable to watch. The really bad ones are gone, and now we have to say good bye to the better dancers week by week. Voters counts do COUNT. So if you have a favorite vote. I liked Hayes and I like all the contenders who are left. They have been enjoyable to watch. Really don’t know who will end up in the final 3, but I am enjoying this season much more than I thought I would at first. The Team Dance from Team Nightmare was one of the best I have seen throughout the years.

25. Hunter says:

I like anything with that cute little Bindi Irwin. That girl can move!! Nicely too!!

26. Tara says:

The wrong ones went home. Tamar should’ve already been gone. I like Val but I can’t stand Tamar’s attitude and arrogance. She doesn’t listen to or do what her partner says to do and always has to argue it, her partner is the “Professional”, not her. Bad call, she needs to go.

27. Jay Woodland says:

If you are a young male,you don’t stand a chance. Look back over the seasons.

28. Wrong to terminate Hayes he is 15 years old and did a great job through ever performance what is wrong with the judges??? especially Julianne she should not be allowed to vote where her brother is concerned or any other relative.

29. TvTwin2 says:

Bindi was the star of the night!! She may laugh alot, but she contains a maturity beyond her years and that reflects in her dance.
    Alexa’s dance was overscored in my opinion. Her dance was so frenetic, and I felt she was trying too hard
    Poor Hayes!! I feel that he was finally coming into his own, and his waltz was beautiful. This is exactly the platform he needed to mature. I wish he had at least 2 more weeks, but I wasn’t surprised by his elimination.

30. D Decker says:

Yes the right couple went home. I don’t get how he’s considered a “celebrity” anyway. Wait, what’s his name again, I’ve alrleady forgotten.

31. Christine says:

I like Leah Remeni hosting with Tom!!!

32. Minga says:

I don’t think it is fair to other contestants on the show, when there is someone that already has stage & dancing experience, such as Tamar. For her to make that comment yesterday about being the best dancer in the competition, just goes to show you how conceded and big headed she is…….she needs eliminated next week!

• Michelle says:

The funny thing is I don’t think she’s even that good. I haven’t seen a routine of hers yet that blew me away. Like last week when they gave her 4 10s, they said they couldn’t pick her out of the group of professional dancers around her. I thought the exact opposite while I was watching it. She’s fluid when she should be sharp and too stiff when she should be fluid. She needs to be the next to go.

33. patty says:

I think most are fantastic. I have loved to see Alexa and Carlos, also Andy did an awesome job last week and this week, the only I don’t think is all that great is Alek but still he is such a sweet gentleman, I enjoy watching him on the show. Bindi is a fantastic dancer, who would have known? I hope she and Nick make it to the finals.

34. Terry says:

scaring the wits outa people just never gets old, I LOL’ed so many times last night, especially Leah’s reaction, that was hilarious.

35. mrsfoxxe says:

36. Bring back Hayes, let Tamar go!! She needs an attitude adjustment- does not have right personality for DWTS

37. Beatrice says:

I was shocked and soooo disappointed that Hayes went home especially since my grandson was following him closely too. He loves his Vine site. We will really miss Hayes awesome personality!!

38. Angelkid says:

Hayes should not have gone home. 2 others had lower scores. When are people going to start voting for the best dancers and not just who they like.

39. Angelkid says:

When are people going to start voting on who is the best dancer and not just who they like.
    2 couples had lower scores that Hayes and Emma. Hayes should not have gone home.

40. Gloria Kerlin says:

Someone please tell Julianne to chill. Her voice has gotten annoying. Give her the boot and
    bring back Lynn. The only thing good about having a quest judge is she doesn’t get to talk so much. What is the deal with Alek, he is just as good as some of the others and the judges
    are terribly tough on him. Give him a break, he is a really good guy and a good dancer.

41. Jerri says:

No, I love Hayes! He was doing a really great job, and I really enjoyed watching him. He should have made it a lot further, but folks had to vote if they wanted to keep him around. It just won’t be the same watching without him.

42. AngelWasHere says:

Dancing with the stars is dancing with the nobodies now, so I don’t really care who goes home. Bindi will probably win anyway.

• Terry says:

She won the moment she was announced as a contestant. Kinda like Carlton last season. I don’t see anyone this season even giving Bindi a run for her money.

43. Penny williams says:

I think this bindi chick needs to go she is annoying and fake I said cry cry baby for sympathy and can’t watch this piece of trash show anymore I’d rather watch love and hiphop Tamar or Nick for the win

44. AngelWasHere says:

B/w am I the only one who finds Leah Remini to be annoying? -_-

45. shar says:

I like most of the dancers, but Nick is my favorite. I just wish they would stop talking about Bindi all the time. There are other dancers that are better on the show.

46. Shannon says:

Enough hate on Bindi already! I grew up watching her and her father’s wildlife shows, and they have inspired me to be a wildlife conservationist, too. So just because you’re not a fan of her bubbly attitude doesn’t mean she is fake. She’s one of the best dancers, if not the best, and her scores reflect that. She has been judged fairly; remember when she got 8’s for her dance to The Jeffersons’ theme song? She admittedly had some trouble that week, but has since vastly improved.

47. gwendolyn says:

TAMAR AND VAL ARE MY FAVS

48. Ardrena Jackson says:

Why Derek always get all tens(10)? No matter how many mistakes he make I think their is a lot of favoritism going on shame on you judges. Why all African American women never wins or get high scores? I am a great fan of the show i’ve watched it since its started. Producers it maybe time to change judges Julianne especially .DWTS is a GREAT show just keep it FAIR. .

• Marian Motley says:

I agree whole hearthly, i have seen some black dancers that was very good, yet it was given to another, race has nothing to do with it. If you dance why not give them the trophy, that year it was given to someone else that did not deserve it.

• GC says:

Last year winner was black. So that smashes that race card. Give me a break. Tamar (who ever she is) not getting high scores bc she is a witch. I think she got low scores because they don’t like her personality not fair but it is what it is. You have to find a gimmick and work it.

49. I was really, really disappointed that Hayes was eliminated, he was much better than several of the other ones on the show; I think the judges sometimes go by who gives them the most sizzle!Q

50. KC says:

Hayes should have left week 1. He never should have been on the show. He was pretty bad from the start. I would think ABC would have contestants of legal age.