Post Mortems
Walking Dead Steven Yeun

Walking Dead: EP Scott Gimple Addresses [Spoiler]'s Fate

The following story contains major spoilers about Sunday’s Walking Dead. If the episode is still hanging out on your DVR, hit the nearest exit.

Is he or isn’t he — that’s the question.

Sunday’s Walking Dead seemingly killed off Steven Yeun’s Glenn, but is the character really dead? Showrunner Scott M. Gimple released the following statement via Chris Hardwick on Talking Dead:

“In some way we will see Glenn — some version of Glenn or parts of Glenn — again. Either in flashback or the current story to help complete the story.”

Gimple’s statement came after Talking Dead‘s weekly in memoriam segment curiously did not include Glenn. Also somewhat telling: Yeun did not appear as a guest on the after show (a Talking Dead exit interview has become something of a rite of passage for fallen Walking Dead actors).

What do you think? Vote in our poll below and then elaborate in the comments section!

1. shaw says:

WTF was that

2. Gina says:

He isn’t dead. This comes from a place of denial.

• A fan of TV says:

I’m in the same place. Hoping he gets a piece of Nicholas’ ribcage, stabs some walkers with the to bury himself under a bunch of dead, masking his smell so the live ones lose interest and leave. It’s Glenn. It would be a character injustice for him to go out the way he did, buried under the literal and figurative dead weight that is Nicholas the Douche.

3. Ashbash says:

So I’m guessing the next time we see Glen he’s going to be a zombie

4. Sean says:

Maggie must be pregnant with Glenn’s baby.

5. Nick says:

I don’t think glen is dead. This is because if you watch this on your computer and you record it you can zoom in and if you really watch that scene zoom didn’t you notice that it’s not Glenn getting eaten its Nicholas. And if you wait a sec you see glen slip under the dumpster. So is glen dead?

• Sara says:

Absolutely agreed with this statement. I’m just praying your right!!!

• Kutaba says:

This is correct. And if you go further back in the scene you can see the dumpster is at least 1 foot off the ground. They are never built like this. They lay flat on the ground to distribute the weight. Obviously the producers needed a way for him to survive and had it raised up. Further more Glen is basically pulling the other dudes body on top of him as they fall off. Too many factors here for it be a clear death.

• Sara says:

Ok so since you know so much about dumpsters I’m gonna take a shot in the dark here and ask if you might know of anything I can take that will make me sleep till Sunday of next week so I don’t have to go through this trama of the next 7 days not knowing if Glenn is alive or not??? lol

• Amber says:

You better pull a “Sleeping Beauty” and go for a two week nap – next weeks episode is Morgan centric, his back story and what he was doing between last time Rick saw him and now. Very likely we’re not going to get any Alexandria, the herd, Rick in the RV or (most important) Glenn’s fate next week.
            The Morgan episode was promised but I think their timing stinks – I get that it creates suspense making the viewers wait but they should have known that killing Glenn even if wet think he’s not dead for sure, will royally tick off the viewers to the point where we can’t really care or get into Morgan’s story right now.

• rokes says:

Next week is a morgan flashback episode

• Rebecca says:

LOL you’re wrong. My dumpster is a foot off the ground with wheels on it so the garbage man can roll it from where it sits to his truck to dump it. Don’t sound so sure next time unless you know it as factual. Lmao. Glenn is alive and under the dumpster. If you’ve read the comics, you’d know he doesn’t die for at least 2 more seasons.

• vanizorc says:

The only possible problem with that is, if the bottom of the dumpster was high enough that Glenn could fit under it, what’s to say that a few zombies on Glenn’s trail would proceed to do the same and attempt to crawl under the dumpster too? I just don’t see how it’d be logical for tens of zombies to witness Glenn rolling underneath the dumpster and not try to follow suit. It’s like that scene in one of the very first episodes where Rick gets pursued when he crawls under the tank.

• Margo says:

The dumpster had a lock on it. As if someone had already made it a safe place to slide under and enter through a hole at the bottom. Just like Rick did under the tank.

• Nick says:

You are correct the overhead shot shoes his head moving side to side and his grey shirt can clearly be seen his head disappears and the grey area seems to be creeping towards the dumpster

• Gerald says:

I don’t think Glen is dead and the Dumpster theory may work, but no way he got out of that Horde scrum without a bite. Somehow the herd is dispersed and Glen makes it back to Alexandria in time to say his good-byes before he turns then Maggie gives him the kill shot. Then we’ll get the Memorium episode.

• AnnieM says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking, too. Too many walkers for him to not get even a small bite somewhere, even with the Nicolashield.

6. Jenna says:

Ugh. That was a rough episode. Sadly, I think he’s dead.

7. Derek Johnson says:

That’s odd. You’d think if Glenn were dead, they’d just say it. Maybe they are just playing with us until his final episode airs.

8. Chance says:

Nicholas fell on top of Glenn. The intestines were Nicholas’

9. Jay says:

I hope at least he doesn’t turn into a zombie, that’d be the worst and he doesn’t deserve that!

10. webly3 says:

Glenn is clearly dead… it’s sad, but to the people that believe he’s alive… HOW?

• Gina says:

The only explanation that I can come up with is that he managed to sneak away from the horde as they feasted on Nicholas’ body. Maybe he crawled under the dumpster after smearing walker guts on himself.
      I don’t know, I just feel like it was such a non-traditional death for a recurring character for it to be true.

• JonB1024 says:

1. Glenn is killed by Negan in the comics and has Glenn child

2. Did we find out about his child yet? Then it would be plausible that he would die, but in a different way.

3. Zoom in (if you watch on the computer) Nicholas is getting eating not Glenn

4. Glenn slips under the dumpster

5. Glenn’s chest isn’t that big, and last time I checked, intestines weren’t near your upper chest..

6. He was not announced as dead in The Talking Dead memoriam

7. How do you not derive that he is alive with all this logic? lol

• BeaNajera says:

In the first shot after they fall to the ground, you can see that Nicholas is NOT on top of Glenn…

• Eazy says:

I totally agree, people need to get a clue

• Rebecca says:

Exactly! Thank you for this.

• rokes says:

If you look really closely into the top right corner before he dies you can see batman pulling in. Yes thats right his new robin is indeed John Snow. The only part I dont understand is why John Snow would choose to kill regular zombies rather then ice zombies. But ignoring that obviously ridiculous point, batman and new robin( kit Harrington) save glen. Thus putting him in the category of totes not human slushy.

• Rebecca says:

Because it doesn’t make sense? And it doesn’t. Not according to the comics.

• Callie says:

The TV show is inspired by, but generally doesn’t follow, the comics.

Lori and Judith died together, by a single bullet, when the Governor attacked the prison. Both characters have very different storylines in the series. Why? Most likely because it would have been unacceptably cruel for TV to show a baby getting shot and crushed to death.

Weak, unstable Carol committed suicide-by-zombie at the prison, and Sophia’s fine and living with Maggie. Why does TV Carol live on? Most likely because Melissa McBride is a powerful actress, and the series would suffer for the character’s loss.

There are so many ways in which the TV show’s plotlines don’t jibe with those of the comics, and characters enter and leave the story at very different times.

So, why would TV Glenn die in a walker attack instead of by Lucille? Even in a show packed with gore and violence, I doubt that television could depict such a brutal, unspeakably malicious murder.

BTW, I’m among the many delusional fans who want to believe that Glenn crawled under the dumpster and survived.

BTW, I was a fervent fan of TWD comics, but I stopped reading after Issue 100. I couldn’t take any more.

11. AngelWasHere says:

I voted for alive, but he might be a zombie. I don’t think we’ve seen a zombified cast memeber since Shane .D:

12. Melissa Clifton says:

I don’t think he’s dead!
    He use to hide under bodies to stay alive and everyone that dies gets a memorial in the talking dead and he didn’t.
    That would be a stupid way to kill off a main character with no one knowing where he is or what happened to him. Just keeping my hopes alive!!!!

13. LUCY says:

Its terrible that they killed Glen. Cant believe it, shame on the writers and the directors.

14. scarecrowsyn says:

Gimple said we’d see Glenn or “parts of” Glenn. The munching shot made it look like either someone on top of Glenn or bad camera work. Intestines wouldn’t be coming out of Glenn’s chest, so I’m convinced they showed Nicolas getting eaten.
    I think Glenn gets bitten and has to cut off his own limb under the dumpster (“parts of Glenn”). Then he probably writes Maggie a letter and they find him dead later with the letter on him.
    I noticed he didn’t fire his gun until it clicked, so he might have another round saved for himself.

15. Kim says:

Very depressing episode….-_-“..
    All the dead pets in the pet shop was the lest sadest thing … And I love animals…

The most sadest was Glenn’s …..I don’t want to say he is dead but its hard to see him survive that..*cryssssss

16. Caroline says:

Glenn’s wife is pregnant. She will have a baby that will be a part of Glenn.

• the girl says:

I am completely convinced that Maggie is pregnant. I don’t think they announced it per se but I think they hinted to it enough.

17. DreamRose311 says:

I feel what we have now is a no win situation. Either Glen is dead, or he is alive and they put us through that for nothing. As for Damon Lindeloff talking about fans having a no-kill list, I try to be realistic and know that no one is safe on this show, but only managed to have it down to two: Glen and Maggie. Even the loss of Daryl I could get past relatively quickly if I absolutely had to. And even Rick I feel is a guaranteed eventual death… don’t know why, I just do. Not Glen or Maggie… *sigh*

18. Kim says:

Glen not being on the memorials on the talking dead makes me wonder and gives me a little hope that maybe just maybe he’s alive

She say in disbelieving hope

19. IMHO says:

“In some way we will see parts of Glenn ” may of been a bad choice of words all things considered.
    I’m hoping Glenn is alive but I’m still holding out hope for Jon Snow.

20. Lori says:

glenns dead but will live on in his child

21. mind games says:

I’m so sick with the thought that Glenn maybe deserves I pray he’s not. He adds so much to the walking dead.

22. mind games says:

I’m killing auto correct. I meant to say please don’t let Glenn be dead, I love his character. .shame on the writer’s if. You killed him.

23. Tom says:

I just don’t see how he can survive that

24. m3rcnate says:

He is alive. First off it is pretty clear given what happened and how they decided to shoot the scene that the guy ontop of him was getting eaten and he slides under the dumpster.
    Also the death doesn’t have enough impact to be worthy of Glenn. How Glenn dies in the comics has such insanely high impact (how he dies, and who he is murdered infront of) but to die in an alley alone beating eaten by walkers? Nah, that is how you kill off a C-character not an A-character.

25. tyler says:

Glenn will survive this only to die later when we least expect it.

26. Spence says:

Even if that was Nicholas getting eaten, how exactly is Glenn going to get out from under his corpse and out of the alley alive? This is Glenn’s death scene through and through, now it’s just a matter of if they’re going to continue the scene and torment us and Glenn in later episodes.

27. Ricky Lee Jones says:

Sorry but Glenn is not dead. He is easily among the Top 5 most beloved characters on the show. If you’re going to kill him, it would be a much ballyhooed send off. This is the worst fakeout since Jon Snow got “killed”.

28. mooshki says:

I stopped watching in the middle of last season because I didn’t want to watch Glenn die. Glad I made that decision.

29. James D says:

WTF What the actual Frak Walking Dead. Glenn cannot go out like that. In the words of Bernadette from TBBT “You suck So Hard”. i’m more depressed then usual after watching and that is saying something. but I guess that is what makes the WTD the WTD. things aren’t looking to good for rick and the gang this season ain’t messing about i both love it and hate it.

30. Brenda Kimble says:

Please don’t kill off Glenn he adds so much to show and Maggie has lost everyone she needs him and I love Glenn. What’s up with Rick and the cut on his hand. doing great on season six.Please don’t let it be so.

31. HomelandSux says:

It’s a red herring. I bet it was a dream sequence. LOLS

32. Lizzie says:

Omg Glenn!! I’m devastated and Maggie is going to FREAK out-I’m not looking forward to that event!

33. Lizzie says:

And as was stated by someone earlier-when Glenn falls Nicholas is clearly not on top of him. So while I hope and pray that Glenn scrambled under the dumpster my heart feels like Glenn is dead and we will see him again as a walker. I can’t take it!!

34. Liz985 says:

Glenn has survived multiple times when he really shouldn’t have. I think it would stretch incredulity if he survived this. Even if Nicholas fell on top of him, a swarm like that would have gotten a foot, a hand, an arm?

I think it would also shake up Rick’s portion of story this season where he thinks his group is so hardened and tested that it will make it out of any situation, but the newbie Alexandrians won’t. In this world, nobody is safe (and for good story telling, they shouldn’t be).

35. Joey Padron says:

I’m glad Scott release that Statement about Glenn. It would be sad if he became a walker. It will be interesting how they wrap up his story arc on the show.

36. peterwdawson says:

Pretty split on this. They denied the usual rituals that comes with a character death, but I don’t really see how he can survive that as with the angles and such that is pretty clearly him being torn apart.

• Whatevah says:

He’ll survive the same way the governor survived when Andrea released all those walkers on him. By blinking his way out of there. There was NOOOO way the governor would have survived and yet, he did. If the writers say he survives, he survives. :)

37. Ktron says:

We may see parts of Glen…
    I think that means we’re going to see Walker Glen and Maggie or Rick will have to put him down.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I don’t want to see a walker Glenn I just can’t imagine that sh*t! But I agree if it does come to that yeah it will be either Rick OR Maggie to do the deed. I’M HOPING he’s alive hiding underneath the dumpster!!!!!!!!!!!

38. A says:

Unfortunately I truly believe deep down that we saw Glenn’s death. That gut wrenching feeling followed by nausea I got during that scene put the nail in the coffin for me. To me from the camera angle it looked like it was him getting is organs ripped out. I think when we do see Glenn next it’ll either be as a walker or a too far gone dead body like t-dogs. Michonne and co., did make their way to the burned feed store so they’re not too far off from where Glenn went down. That’s why they wait on the talking dead to postpone Glenn’s memorial, to wait until we see whatever it is we’re going to see. That last scene dang near gave me a heart attack! If Glenn is gone I don’t think I can survive if Rick goes too!

39. The Carpooler says:

So to summarize:

Glen’s dead. Glen’s alive. Glen’s dead. Glen’s alive. Glen’s dead. Glen’s alive.

We each have our opinions and wishes. It makes me smile so many people have so much passion about it. Fact is we may not know for a while, especially if next week is a Morgan episode.

40. I think Glenn is alive. I didn’t at first but I jumped on Twitter and read a lot of good stuff about it. Like how he is still currently in GA filming the second half of season six.

41. aph1976 says:

I’m thinking Glenn is still alive but the show may not reveal it right away.Also maybe he did bitten but he wants to see Maggie and everyone else one last time before he has to die. However i’m wondering if there’s a twist coming with Glenn and takes things in a new direction for the show.

42. Kutaba says:

It’s the stupidity of not learning from previous experiences that makes the show more and more implausible. They used the walker guts trick in the second episode. And did anyone notice the fire escape Glen and Nicolas ran by on the way to the dumpster. An easily defended access to a roof. Besides the fact the dumpster is over a foot off the ground. They are built to sit flush on the ground to distribute the weight of the dumpster – a great spot to crawl under. On top of the fact that Glenn was almost pulling Nicolas body on top of him when they fell, and no clear shot of him being disembowelled. Next episode appears to focus on Morgan’s story before reaching Alexandria – A way to draw out the story even further. Do the math. Too many things add up to Glenn surviving.

43. ben says:

Here is why I think Glenn is still alive: when the zombies tearing up the guts and eating it. Glenn’s mouth didn’t coughing/spilling out any blood. His mouth were clean and the eyes didn’t show sign like he dying.

Because when your internal organs got tearing up violently like that, blood will come out your mouth. Glenn screaming for Nicolas got eaten on top of him, not because he got eating by zombies. My guess is he’ll slide under the dumpster and hide under there.

44. Elise Mann says:

Remember when Glenn said he’d find some way to let Team Rick know he was ok? He’s going to shove himself out from under the exsanguinating Nicholas and under the dumpster just as some other diversion grabs the horde/herd attention. Of course, jmho.

45. Shawn says:

Puh-lease. After all these seasons, Glen isn’t going to go out like THAT. Nicholas fell on him and it was his body being torn apart that we saw. Glen is going to slide under that dumpster and make a …ahem…clean getaway.

46. cr34npc says:

Most fans of twd should already know this or at least not be suprised…. sry if u consider this a spoiler but jus so most ppl wont be disapointed and rip their hair out…. next week is the morgan flashback episode thats supposed to explain how he went from psycho to a monk all about peace… sucks but sounds like we wont know glens fate for sure for at least two weeks… damn them for this… end of episode they did mention flashback next episode and theres been talk about an upcoming episode dedicated to morgans missing story (from season three I think is when we last saw him to when he arrived at alexandria) for full hour so I just put it together…. I know its more just my own prediction but lol im just trying to prepare us fans for whats likely to happen

47. hamlettm says:

If you remember in season 2 Glen put blood and dead meat all over himself to pass through the zombies.

In the show last night he was being covered in blood.

He will slip under the trash can and wait things out or simply get up and walk slowly.

Zombies can’t smell him once he’s covered in blood.

HE IS ALIVE!!!

48. Brian says:

A bucket of suck! Sums it up. I think the worst part is that he leaves a bucket of hotness all alone. Maggie

49. Brian says:

Why didn’t Glenn just go into the dumpster?! Cmon man, we all know Glenn is smarter than that! He’s Asian for christs sake!!

50. Del says:

Glen might have been covered by the body of Nicholas, as suggested in another discussion page. So it might not have been Glen’s body being torn apart. So, the question arises. Glen is still surrounded by hundreds of ‘Walkers’, so how will he walk away? The answer could possibly be in the fact that Glen will be covered in the blood of a corpse which will make him invisible to walkers, as it did for both Carol and Michonne in the past.

• vanizorc says:

That doesn’t make sense, though. The blood he’s covered in is “fresh blood”, not “zombie blood”, so he’d smell even more enticing to the zombies. It won’t be a repellent — and if fresh blood was a repellent, wouldn’t zombies stop eating a person once they’ve torn them apart and started bleeding?