Sleepy Hollow Season 3 Recap

Sleepy Hollow Recap: Tooth Scary

Four out of five dentists agree: Sleepy Hollow‘s latest monster of the week is truly scary.

That sounds as commonplace as one of the Paul Revere clichés Ichabod mocks during the episode, but think about it: Though the Hollow is frequently filled with nefarious supernatural beasties, they’re rarely the type to leave you with actual nightmares.

But this week’s take on the tooth fairy is an ugly, slithery chunk of evil that appears only to those who fear it the most and walks like it’s in the throes of an exorcism. And if that doesn’t have you clicking the nightlight on… would you mind turning on that nightlight while I cower under the covers? Thanks.

Read on as we review “The Sisters Mills.”

REVERE TO THE RESCUE | As mentioned, this episode’s featured creature is a twisted tooth fairy who sucks out the souls of small children losing their teeth. It puts a little girl into a coma at the beginning of the hour; her older sister witnesses the attack, but no adults believe her stories about the being that was in her bedroom.

Well, almost no adults — as a result of having been children whose tales of the supernatural were ignored and/or punished, the Mills sisters are particularly interested in hearing the older sister’s account. And once they (and Ichabod) have a better idea of what happened, Crane remembers — of COURSE — that he ran into something similar back in ye olden days.

Back then, it was Betsy Ross’ niece who suddenly lapsed into a coma; a similar fate had befallen several other children in the township, and they all died. While Colonial Ichabod stands, helpless, Betsy summons Paul Revere and shuts Crane out of the proceedings, hurting his feelings a wee bit. Then Ichabod sees a bright flash under the door, and Betsy’s niece recovers soon after.

Two revelations happen once we return to the present: Ichabod puts together that Revere’s dentistry practice was cover for his supernatural activities, and Abbie lets Jenny know that Ich’s hatred of orthodontia — and the pain inflicted by Revere, in particular — means he hasn’t been to a dentist since he woke up in the 21st century. (Side note: Eew.)

‘BLESSED BE YOUR HEART’ | Through some forcibly charming Britishspeak, Ichabod — pardon me, I mean Ichabod Crane, curator of the soon to open Hudson Valley Historical Society — gets a museum to send him Revere’s dentist bag, hoping it’ll cough up some clues. Then he and Jenny head to a local elementary school to lecture the kids about George Washington’s teeth… and to suss out which of the students currently has a loose chomper and therefore will be the TF’s next target. (Side note: Between this scene and the earlier one between Ichabod and the little girl in the treehouse, it is becoming rapidly clear that Ichabod is one giant weirdo when it comes to relating to kids. I don’t recall him being this strange with the Roanoke kid in Season 1…)

After an entertaining and too-brief stakeout of the likely victims’ houses (Ichabod and Joe discussing dating — and Zoe, especially — in one car, Abbie confessing to Jenny about finding their dad… and Jenny saying she did the same thing five years ago (!) in the other vehicle), the Mills sisters see their kid run outside in terror. Problem is: Only kids can see the monster, so pretty soon the scary fairy has knocked out both sisters. Jenny wakes up; Abbie does not.

Sleepy Hollow Ichabod DentistFAIRY DOWN! | Crane and Jenny sit by a comatose Abbie’s bedside at the hospital, though he eventually leaves to try to find a solution at the archive. “This isn’t your time, dear friend,” Ichabod addresses his leftenant, crying a little before he goes. (Side note: It’s moments like this, blended with the funnier Ich bits throughout the episode, that are making me feel very good about the season so far.)

Neither he nor Jenny see Pandora circling the floor in a nurse’s outfit. And later, when Jenny leaves, the evil newcomer is there when Abbie opens her eyes. (“Hi, sleepyhead” is a nice, subtle shout-out to the fans, no?) Pandora talks a lot of creepy nonsense that we’ll deal with later; in the meantime, Ichabod and Jenny realize that Revere’s dental implements were actually the pieces of a machine that can help bring the Tooth Fairy down.

So when the baddie (who, I might add, has a very impressive full wheel pose in its yoga practice) goes after the remaining sister from the beginning of the episode, Ichabod and Jenny are ready for it. There’s a chase, and of course Crane gets knocked on his tush, but they prevail and both Abbie and the little girl’s sister wake up and make full recoveries.

YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TOOTH | So now all that’s left is for the Witnesses to parse what Pandora said to Abbie; based on a word she called Abbie, Ichabod surmises that the sorceress is the Sumerian version of the Pandora archtype… and he points out that the word is also on the tablet and means “destroyer.” He wonders if they are, in fact, the destroyers that the prophecy mentions. Back in her lair, Pandora watches all through her omniscient pond and is excited to see treevil grow a little more.

Oh, and I’d be remiss not to mention that Ichabod finally goes to the dentist and has a smoochy dream about Betsy while knocked out; his reactions to pretty much everything — including but not limited to a bitmoji of himself — as he comes to are pretty funny; Abbie’s reactions to his reactions are even funnier… but nothing is as funny as Lyndie Greenwood’s reading of “This is too good” as she pulls out her phone to record Crane with the kids earlier in the episode.

Oh, and we leave the Mills ladies in a good place, too, as they seem to agree that they don’t need to complicate their lives by reestablishing contact with their dad. “No matter what, we’ll be fine. No fight is ever gonna keep us apart again,” Abbie assures her little sis. PLEASE LET THIS NOT BE IRONIC FORESHADOWING OF THAT TURNCOAT TEASER.

1. Jerry says:

“And once they (and Ichabod) have a better idea of what happened, Crane remembers — of COURSE — that he ran into something similar back in ye olden days.”

And that, unfortunately, is why I think I’m done with this show. Every episode this season has had the monster of the week solved because it happened to Ichabod
    In the past. Has anyone introduced this man to Powerball yet? I’d love to see Ichabod living as a 1%er.

I LOVED this show in season 1. I stuck through season 2. Not sure I can do 3.

• Donna says:

Thing is, they kinda set that up way back in season 1, establishing that George Washington sent Crane on missions that would expose him to things and information that he would later need as one of the Witnesses. It’s the conceit on which the whole show is pretty much based.

What I have never understood, and has never been explained, is why EVERYONE hid this information from Crane back in the day. Every historical figure knew about this battle between good and evil, knew about the demons, used Crane, and didn’t bring him into the loop. Huh? Why?

• suzi says:

Perhaps because his role as a witness couldn’t be revealed until he had joined Abby, and this knowledge would have effected their work? IDK, just throwing out something…

2. Angela says:

I share in your plea about this not being a tease for the turncoat thing. Jenny and Abbie had some great moments in this episode (I loved their conversation in the car during the stakeout, and their memories about the “boat window”), and I don’t want them to be at odds :(.
    I too seem to remember Ichabod being a little less weird around kids in the past. But I still thought his thing with the kids in the classroom was funny all the same (and I too loved Jenny’s reaction to it all-they had some good moments together this episode :D). I REALLY loved Abbie and Jenny interacting with the little girl, though, and going to great lengths to prove they believed her. Jenny’s conversation with the girl about them both having lots of time ahead with their sisters was truly touching and got me a little choked up.
    Yes to the tooth fairy being creepy as hell. I loved how the little kids did their part to brave the scary monster and fight him, though I kept muttering to that little boy, “Do NOT go near your closet…” all the while at one point.
    Loved Ichabod and Joe having some guy talk-I still think Zoe is someone to keep an eye on-again, wouldn’t blame her for being attracted to Ichabod, but I could see that being a ruse, too, for something else. And as for Pandora, her interactions with both the little girl and Abbie in the hospital were creepy, and that ending about the “destroyers” stuff has me very nervous. From your mouth to the show’s ears with the plea for this not to be bad foreshadowing for any fractures or turncoat behavior within the team!

• Babybop728 says:

Interesting thought about Zoe. I always just thought she was a plot device to show that Ichabbie will never happen. I didn’t think that she could be using him for something evil…

I certainly will now though!

3. D. Zivkovich says:

am I the only one who noticed that this creepy tooth fairy sucking the souls of kids was called a strega in season one of Supernatural — yes, silver works

• suzi says:

The shtriga from Supernatural was similar, but more like the traditional witch that sucks the blood of infants and children at night while they sleep…I don’t remember there being teeth involved.
      I’m enjoying Season 3 so far, but then I didn’t dislike last season nearly as much as some other viewers.

4. Noel Roberts says:

The Ichabbie chem is just not doing it for me this season. They are purposely killing it. In the 1st season they were so much more emotional re: each other; especially if one or the other was hurt. This season, it just seems so reserved and detached. Don’t know why SH writers try to thwart the chem so much. I don’t want to see Ichabod kissing that god-awful Betsy Ross who seems like she’s from the 21st century. They have no chem. It’s painful. The texting with that annoying clerk is worse than getting a tooth removed. Everything is so forced (including the detachment of the main characters). God I miss the vibe of season 1. I’m just not feeling season 3. I really, really want to but everything is just wrapped up too neatly and seems forced.

• tvjunkie says:

Yeah I would agree the flashbacks this season are clicking about as well as the flashbacks in Arrow last season, which to put it kindly is not well.

5. Galli's mom says:

I think I got it- every time a black rose blooms a new monster is created. I don’t much care for the “monster of the week” format, it would be better if we knew why Pandora is so busy making monsters and challenging the witnesses. How I miss Headless and John Noble!

Crane was quite funny in this episode, almost too much so. He must have good insurance to get gas for a dental cleaning. I didn’t get gas when I had a root canal! I’d hate to see him turn into a caricature, however gorgeous. And I too am a little tired of his past “experiences” with all these monsters, and turning our founding fathers into witch hunters. You’d think they had enough to do fighting tyranny and forming a new country.

I was a school teacher for over 30 years and we never had a guest speaker that looked like Crane! I’d have sent the kids to lunch and locked the classroom door.

6. Morisot says:

I yelped ! …. I don’t think I yelped once in season 2

7. Kendra says:

“I don’t recall him being this strange with the Roanoke kid in Season 1…)”

Because Tom Mison is overacting this season. Everything Ichabod Crane has been dialled up a notch and it’s not funny anymore, but hammy. It was noticeable from the premiere but I shrugged it off as having to get familiar with the role again, but each episode since then has had crigeworthy moments; this one was the worse, painfully so. Even Nicole Beharie looked bored except when acting with Lyndie.

Best moments were the monster, Jenny and Abbie bickering and making up, and Joe’s inclusion this week.

I’m not interested in Crane’s imaginary or not love life. How is it in two plus seasons that we have not seen the same onscreen love life for Abbie? Not a kiss, not a date, no romance, nothing. We were told she’s been involved but apparently have to imagine the whole relationship. Now that Danny is here I hope we get the same flashbacks for their relationship a we have for Sexy Betsy. It’s getting that I’m even losing interest in Ichabbie happening, something I thought would never happen.