America's Got Talent: Simon Cowell Joining as Judge for Season 11

Expect a major uptick in Red Xs and truth bombs when America’s Got Talent returns in 2016.

Show creator Simon Cowell will join the judges’ table for Season 11, NBC announced on Thursday.

Cowell rose to fame in the U.S. as a judge on the first nine seasons of American Idol, but along the way, he created the Got Talent format — starting with AGT in 2006 — and has been a judge on Britain’s Got Talent since its debut in 2007. (It was on the latter show where the cantankerous Brit famously discovered Susan Boyle.) He hasn’t had a regular on-camera gig in the U.S. since The X Factor ended its three-season run on Fox in 2013.

A spot on the America’s Got Talent panel became available when Howard Stern stepped down at the end of Season 10, following a four-year run.

“I am really thrilled to be joining America’s Got Talent next season,” said Cowell, in a statement. “What I love about this show is that it’s open to absolutely anyone. America has some fantastic talent just waiting to be discovered, and I would like that talent to come to our show, including any dogs who can sing!”

Auditions for the upcoming Season 11 of America’s Got Talent will kick off in Detroit on Nov. 7 and make stops in 12 U.S. cities, including New York (Nov. 14), Phoenix (Dec. 3), Salt Lake City (Dec.5), Las Vegas (Dec. 6) and San Jose (Dec. 8).

Excited about Cowell’s return to U.S. television? Hit the comments!

1. mrmcgee says:

That should be Susan Boyle

2. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I had a feeling it would eithee be Simon or they would try to get Piers back.

3. Jack says:

Should we assume that the other three judges are staying the same?

• dan says:

I read an interview w/Simon on another site. No decisions have been made on the other three judges although it is possible they will all be back. The show will move back to Hollywood for the live episodes. Also, Simon decided to become a judge (on his own show) when he heard Howard wasn’t coming back so the decision was essentially made a few months ago although the deal may have only been confirmed recently.

4. steven says:

And I thought his 15 minutes were up by now.

5. Larc says:

Another good reason not to watch AGT.

6. sanchopanza says:

Aw, nuts!

7. AngelWasHere says:

Yayyyyyy! I was hoping for either Piers or Simon, so I’m quite happy with this decision. His doucheness is needed on the panel. :P

8. anna says:

So there are now no american judges on america’s got talent. It was obvious he was going to get the spot after the Sony hack info where he was trying to get howard stern fired

9. maria wennink says:

AGT has got far more talents on their shows than England has. And they treat the people right. \in England, when you have a dog show, you are sure to win, because Simon Cowell loves dogs, so they win above all else. And that is why I like the AGT better and now this show is going to the dogs too! Too bad…..

10. The year a trained dog gets into the AGT finals is the day AGT gets its lowest ratings.

11. nickspace says:

I’m interested to see if they bring back the rest of the panel. Mel B and Simon didn’t really mesh well on last season of the X Factor UK and I can’t imagine Heidi signing on without Mel B…should be interesting.

12. matty says:

Now can they please fire Heidi Klum who is annoying and replace her with Paula Abdul?

• matty says:

Although I’d be just as happy if they asked Brandy to come back. Wasn’t she one of the original judges way back when?

13. Licia says:

Yeah! the best judge ever…glad he is back!

14. Katelyn says:

Oh man why him I’m adoutioning for agt
    With him I’m going to need practice

P.s Simon Cowell is the worst judge .😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😭😭😭

15. jj says:

I like dance moves style all remix you show dance moves America got tannt

16. Jim Vilandre says:

I am absolutely thrilled that Simon is going to be a judge this year. Simon knows talent more than anyone. I pray that I will get the opportunity to share my talent in front of him. I know that he will give an honest answer and it will be accurate.

17. Karen Hill says:

Fantastic! I love Simon

18. Ann Halushka says:

Heck yes! Simon was someone I loved to hate until I realized something. I actually do love the guy. While yes, at times he’s quite brutal with his comments. He has proven to discover exceptional talent! So yes, I’ll be happy to see him back in the states on Season 11 of AGT. And at some point I’d love to see him on America X-Factor again. I loved that show! And it’s various judges.

19. Smon is about exciting and entertaing as watching paint dry. His big claim to fame is getting a young girl pregnant and then finaly marrying her WHOOPEE

20. lynn says:

So excited to see Simon returning to be a judge. He was the reason idol was the hit it once was. He was honest, knew the music business, and could spot the real true talent before they were even off and running… His remarks , statements always keeping it to true reality, of how good , or how bad their voices were. None of this your wonderful, your a star, etc before we even got into seeing their true performances.

21. Sonja says:

Love Simon 😍

22. Sue seshan says:

So glad that Simon. Cowell is going to b one of the judges! Missed him during the previous sessions! Although some do think he’s blunt with his remarks, one has to admit they r honest! Ok. Simon welcome back!👍❤️️😊🎼

23. TARA NYBURG says:

THIS SUCKS I WAS LOOKING UP TO SEE IF THERE WAS A PREMIERE DATE FOR THE NEW SEASON AND NOW I DON’T WANT TO WATCH IT AT ALL NOW THAT SIMON IS BACK HE’S THE REASON I DIDN’T WATCH IT BEFORE. MAYBE IT RAN IT’S COURSE AND THEY ARE TRYING TO END THE SHOW BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE NOT GOING TO WATCH IT NOW. =( SAD I HAD REALLY LIKED THE SEASONS I WATCHED TOO.

24. Karen Vann says:

Love Simon…he’s a bottom-line guy, great judge, great judge of character….fair-minded…sees through more than most do…welcome back Simon!!