Vincent D'Onofrio Emerald City

Emerald City Casts Vincent D'Onofrio — He's Off to Be NBC's Wizard!

If you’re paying attention to that man behind the curtain, you’ll notice it’s Vincent D’Onofrio.

The Marvel’s Daredevil and Law & Order: Criminal Intent vet has been cast as the Wizard of Oz in Emerald City, NBC’s upcoming 10-episode adaptation blending elements from author L. Frank Baum’s classic 14-novel collection.

D’Onofrio’s Wizard is described as “the enigmatic leader of Emerald City. A man of science in a world of magic, he rules through inspiration, fear and a tenuous accord with the grand witches.”

The logline for the drama is as follows: “Swept up into the eye of a tornado, 20-year-old Dorothy Gale is transported to another world — a mystical land in great peril, where an all-powerful Wizard has outlawed magic and rules over the many kingdoms. This is the fabled Land of Oz in a way you’ve never seen before — where lethal warriors roam, wicked witches plot in the shadows and a young girl from Kansas becomes the headstrong hero who holds the fate of their world in her hands.”

The Peacock net gave Emerald City a 10-episode, straight-to-series order back in April, a reversal of fortune for a project it had killed off back in April 2014. The reimagining found David Schulner (The Event) taking over showrunner reins from original writer EP/writer Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles). Shaun Cassidy (American Gothic, Invasion) will serve as executive producer alongside Schulner.

Over the summer, True Detective Season 2 star Adria Arjona landed the lead role of Dorothy. Tarsem, who worked with D’Onofrio on The Cell, is set to direct.

Does D’Onofrio’s casting make you more excited about Emerald City? Sound off below!

1. David says:

Dorothy is going to be 20?? Oh, they need to just cancel this mess now.

• johnhelvete says:

There is no denying that this version is pretty “out there” The showrunner change, the fact it is NBC, network TV in general are all red flags for a potentially awful show. I really like who they cast in the lead role, Donofrio is also a very good actor. More importantly, having one director for the entire 10 episodes is very cool, especially one who is known for having a certain visual style. I am curious but not optimistic.

2. alistaircrane says:

They need to negotiate with MGM and work out a deal that allows them to use the Ruby Slippers in this series. Disney did it in 1985 with Return to Oz.

3. sarah says:

Yes, he is great!!

4. I like Vincent. Being strange is not a huge leap for him!

5. Maryann says:

I absolutely adore Vincent D’Onofrio’s talent…I believe anything he is a part of will only enhance the project.

6. Sally McLinn says:

How many Oz type movies / TV shows are going to be made? I hope the author’s family is getting paid.

• The L. Frank Baum the author’s family is not getting paid because the books are public domain. The first book went into public domain in 1956 and the second book went into public domain in 1960. The other books up in till that time had extended copyright renewal in tell the Copyright Act of 1974 allowing the other 12 books to enter public domain in between 1983 and 1996. So anybody can do Oz without permission.

• L. Frank Baum the author’s family is not getting paid because the books are public domain. The first book went into public domain in 1956 and the second book went into public domain in 1960. The other books up in till that time had extended copyright renewal in tell the Copyright Act of 1974 allowing the other 12 books to enter public domain in between 1983 and 1996. So anybody can do Oz without permission.

• (Revised) L. Frank Baum the author’s family is not getting paid because the books are public domain. The first book went into public domain in 1956 and the second book went into public domain in 1960. The other books up in till that time had extended copyright renewal in tell the Copyright Act of 1974 allowing the other 12 books to enter public domain in between 1983 and 1996. So anybody can do Oz without permission.

7. Ian says:

How many times does this need to be remade?

8. rinaex says:

Well, how bad could it be, from the guys who brought us The Event, Invasion, and…yeah, I don’t have a good feeling about this.

9. tannerose5 says:

Vincent D’Onfrio will prove to be the perfect wizard. He can be funny, creepy scary, and yet magical. Great choice.

10. Jess says:

i for one am excited for this show. I love Vincent D’Onofrio and love Wizard of Oz

11. Laura C says:

That is so NOT my kind of show, but it IS good to see Vincent still actively acting. I still really miss him as Det Goren in Criminal Intent- the writer’s messed up his story line BIG time.

12. sell says:

I’d really like to see VIDEO in a special episode of SVU as Detective Goren. So I could do the dance of joy, and SVU could go rest in peace!

13. Pat says:

Oh yes, I love Vincent D’O in anything!

14. sell says:

Heck, the idiot Google put the word video in my comment. What I mean is: I would like to see VDO in a SVU episode.

15. Lizo says:

Well, I’ll definitely be watching this now. He is easily one of my favourite actors.

16. Annie Fiske says:

Ah let me think…. V D’Onofrio as THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ?
    Hmmmmm….. I guess that I would have to 110% YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️👍👊🏽👍👊🏽🐛🐜

17. a567and8 says:

Love D’Onofrio. Law and Order lost a good one when he stopped appearing.