Mythbusters Cancelled

Mythbusters Cancelled at Discovery

This is no tall tale: Discovery has cancelled Mythbusters.

The venerable reality series will come to an end in 2016, at the conclusion of its 14th season.

“After 248 episodes, 2950 experiments, 1050 myths, and 900 explosions, hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman will say goodbye to the series this winter,” Discovery confirmed in a statement.

Per EW.com, which broke the news, Savage and Hyneman have been planning for the end since earlier this year. “It was my greatest fear that Mythbusters would just stop and we wouldn’t be able to do proper final episodes,” he tells the site. “So whether it’s myths about human behavior or car stories or explosion stories, we tried to find the most awesome example of each category and build on our past history.”

Mythbusters‘ farewell season bows Jan. 9, 2016.

Will you miss Mythbusters? Eulogies are currently being accept in the comments section.

1. Elf says:

We knew it wouldn’t last much longer after the other cast members were dumped. But thanks for the ride while it lasted. I know it certainly stoked my son’s interest in engineering and the reruns don’t age.

2. G Bondy says:

Wow, I’ll miss it. That said, it was probably time. Good to go out strong rather than peter away to bleargh.

3. Eric says:

Are they going to get to make there final episodes or not? He says it’s his greatest fear but he dosnt say if that fear is going to happen or if they are making the season knowing this is the end.

• briarswt says:

If you go to EW, they already had. Savage and Hyneman apparently have known this was coming for a while and knew this season would be it. So, they were prepared and hopefully it means a good ending for us.

• Carla Krae says:

“Savage and Hyneman have been planning for the end since earlier this year.”

• Jimpy says:

Adam Savage tweeted from the set today, so apperantly they are still filming. They were on the Alameda Runway.

4. Hm says:

It’s probably just as well. I lost interest after they fired the B team. I will still watch the heck out of v those reruns though.

• Kelly A. says:

I haven’t watched since the B-team left because I couldn’t silence the little voice inside my head that told me either Jamie or Adam or both had something to do with their departure.

• peterwdawson says:

Rising costs was a frequent rumor. While contracts probably weren’t as much of an issue in this case as it is on major network programming like prime time dramas and comedies, salaries will inevitably go up and even if ratings last it can be harder to justify a show’s continued existence.

5. Donna Lindsey says:

Really going to miss you guys. Your show was entertaining and educational. Love the work everyone does on the show.

6. Jerry Victory says:

It was a great show. Entertaining and educational. Funny and thoughtful. I don’t believe there are any other shows on Discovery that are worth watching. Best of luck to all on the show.

• Annie says:

Deadliest Catch is still great.

• Keith Waggoner says:

Okay. So you’re saying that a show about a bunch of fishermen (and yes I said fish. They only catch crab in season) is more entertaining than a show that not only entertained, but educated? Wow. Just wow…..

7. Annie says:

I loved this show when they had their b team.

My favorite episodes were the shark week episodes and the one where they blew up cement truck. There was nothing left of the truck!

8. I was hoping the show would survive long enough to respond to the mcguyver reboot.

9. Mike Rowe says:

Nope. At least they get to fade away unlike Dirty Jobs. Suck it Discovery.

10. MelindaB says:

I admit that I haven’t watched the show as regularly lately, but I hope that they will return now and then with Mythbusters specials. Here’s hoping that Adam and Jamie have some awesome stuff in the works.

11. tr says:

Well the bosses at Discovery ought to be overjoyed, 2 less salaries to pay, oh, wait, no salaries, no show, no revenue. Not sure they thought that one out to well.

I figured the show was a goner when they got rid of the 3 other stars, instead of paying them something reasonable, and increasing the budget to draw more interest in the show. I stopped watching when the young crowd was fired, so no great loss here.

12. Madoqua says:

Too bad but am hoping ALL the episodes from pilot to farewell will be available to kids from now until people are born knowing everything Jamie and Adam and Grant and Tory and Kari taught us every week.

13. peterwdawson says:

Between possibly running out of ideas (though some recent episodes have surprised me with stuff they hadn’t tried yet), the show potentially getting too expensive, and general waning possibility with the show having been around so long it’s not a big shock, but of course a shame.

14. hamie says:

I loved this show for years but I watched the first 2 episodes this season and they were really boring couldn’t even finish watching them. I don’t know what Discovery was thinking but they killed they show getting rid of the other cast members.

15. AngelWasHere says:

Aww I watched this show every so often. I knew it was heading for the end, but it’s still sad to hear. Loved all the stuff they did with duck tape. Hopefully they still do specials.

16. I loved watching this show I don;t have a favorite because I loved them all Lots of laughs and educational.Thank you thank you !! I will be watching the reruns in the future Love and will miss you Adam and Jamie Best of luck to both of you.

17. Reg Clark says:

ITS about time. I have never seen such a waste of money as those 2 ydiots were doing with their stupid experiments…every time it came on, I changed channel…good riddance.

18. John Corbae says:

It will be running in re-runs forever.

19. Capt. Bill Sheeder says:

WAIT Wait wait First Mad Mag is gone…. Then Rocky and Bullwinkle. and now Mythbusters !!
    What is a guy to do who knows how us a slide rule?

20. Abby says:

I love this show, and I’m sad it’s ending. I really enjoyed the myths, especially the simple-concept ones like walking in a straight line while blindfolded. This will go down as the Best Show EVER. I’ll miss you guys. Lots of reruns for me.

21. EV says:

I reject your reality and substitute my own..
    #IwillMYTHyouSOmuchGUYS

22. CJ Dawn says:

I’m pretty sure we all saw this coming the minute they let Kari, Tory and Grant go. It was just the beginning of the end.

23. yes, I will miss the show, I know the show has changed, the other 3 who worked with Adam and Jamie no longer on, but I enjoyed the show, and me and my dad would work the problems out ( talking thru them ) as they showed us their conclusions. Good luck too your futures.

24. Char J says:

This show was the perfect combo of science and comedy, I will defiantly miss it. I watched it every time it’s on TV and never missed an episode . Good luck Mythbusters!

25. Tracey Williamson says:

I LOVE this show. Please don’t go.

26. Diondre says:

Why would they cancel this tv show its one of the best shows on tv i’d watch it every single day if I could well I guess it’s time to say good bye to the mythbusters so thanks for busting all those myths

27. Ray West says:

I am so sad to see Mythbusters end. It is my all-time favorite TV show, and Jamie, Adam, Kari, Tori, and Grant (and all the other participants) were always welcomed into my home each week. I know the re-runs will live on, but it’s not the same. The most important thing I learned is: always have duct tape!!! Love you guys. I wish you the best, and hope to see you all back on TV in some other program. Would love to see an occasional Mythbusters special.

28. karen says:

Way to go Discovery…… you cancelled one of the best shows on television.

29. G says:

Some other station should try and pick it up if the duo of Hieniman and Savage are game. I’m having a lot of propblems understanding who exactly is doing programming at the Science, History, A&E and Military History Channels. To many damn reality shows catering to stupidity.

30. Kimber says:

Rumor is Discovery is making room for another Kardasian show.

31. Bill Roberts says:

In a time when this country is quickly falling behind in S
    T.E.M. studies, the one show that illustrated with humor that science was in everything is disappointing. I am fairly confident that this evolved around money as DC is basically a business. With the trash, and I mean idiotic mindless trash, on the square box, my hope is some Executive somewhere somehow figures out that it lasted this long because people yearn to learn…

32. shawn leverett says:

Thanks for all cool myths and awesome stunts my kids and i will miss watching it together

33. Richard J. Russell says:

Hate to see MythBusters go. I always thought that giving people money to blow things up was the best possible job in the world . The show was entertaining and also educational– their episode demonstrating what happens to a car when it strikes a barrier at 100 mph clearly gave me second thoughts about my high speed driving.
    I would like to think that Discovery would rethink its decision but in the likely event that they do not– Thanks Jamie, Adam and the crew for many hours of pleasant watching.

34. Aristides Andreas Chrysaphis says:

You guy’s are amazing. All I watch is your show. Though you guys will no longer be making shows I will still watch every single show on DVD. I hope to someday be like you. Maybe you guys could be my future guests on my future show. Thanks for all of the myths, tests, and explosions over the years. Even you say not to try it at home… I do. Sorry guys. I’m 12 and I love science, but when I was introduced to your show when I was 7, I loved science a lot more. That’s right, I had an interest with science that young. I truly will miss you Jamie and Adam. I will always remember to use duct tape for every job that I do,so don’t worry.

35. Aristides Andreas Chrysaphis says:

I would love to meet you guys

36. lois says:

I will truly miss seeing the myth busters. This was one show worth watching.what a disappointment to here its been canceled.

37. Lillian Loges says:

My son has been watching myth busters since the very beginning , he has learned a lot of good things. But the Naked and Afraid is the worst show ever we want Myth Busters back on Now It’s the ultimate Best thing to happen to T.V Programs.!!!!!!

38. Becky Blair says:

Mythbusters should continue, there is always a myth to checkout.

39. Robert vahle says:

A fun and clean show. I will miss it.

40. Bob Piec says:

By myth busters. Oh so sorry to see THE END. I loved it all.ALL!. Not just the BOOMS. But they were great. Don’t know why it’s going away but all GREAT THINGS must come to an end.
    Good bye and God bless ALL of you who brought us joy and great knowledge. Thanks to you all. Hey Discovery whaaaat the heck? You will never top this show! Hey Jamie and Adam, I’m retired and enjoying it hope you two do too.
    Thanks