Laverne Cox Rocky Horror

Laverne Cox Cast as Frank-n-Furter in Fox's Rocky Horror Remake

Laverne Cox is about to jump to the left — then take a step to the right.

The Orange Is the New Black actress has landed the plum role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter — the sweet transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania — in Fox’s upcoming remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Cox has increased visibility for transgender actors with a 2014 Emmy nod for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for OITNB, as well as roles on The Mindy Project and Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce. She is also attached to the current CBS pilot Doubt, alongside Katherine Heigl and Steven Pasquale.

Fox’s two-hour Rocky Horror will reimagine the cult-classic musical comedy, which was released in theaters 40 years ago and has spawned regular midnight singalong screenings and a Broadway spinoff in the ensuing decades.

Fox’s logline for the musical notes that it “follows sweethearts Janet Weiss and Brad Majors, who stumble upon Dr. Frank-N-Furter’s bizarre abode. Frank-N-Furter, a sexually ambiguous flirtatious alien mad-scientist, is holding an annual, Transylvanian science convention to showcase the birth of ‘Rocky Horror’ — a fit, attractive man created solely to fulfill Frank’s desires.”

The role of Frank-N-Furter was played by Tim Curry in the 1975 film.

Fox’s version is slated to air in Fall 2016.

Stoked about Cox stepping into Frank-N-Furter’s boots? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Steven says:

OH SWEET JESUS

2. Sheldon W. says:

It’ll be hard to match the movie’s campy, slightly off-kilter sleazy and joie de vivre – but casting Cox suggests they’re really going for it.

3. KC says:

And this gets worse and worse. Terrible casting

4. teeveenerd says:

Can she sing? I just saw the revival on BBC America, and David Bedella was pretty awesome.

5. Tony says:

Rocky Horror is a classic… You do not remake, Casablanca, you do not remake Gone With The Wind… and you should not touch Rocky Horror and recast the Dr as a female. When has a remake been better or even as good as the original. I am in dismay at Fox.

• Ro says:

I wouldn’t group Rocky Horror with Casablanca or Gone with the Wind, but I agree… it should not be remade.

• B.T. says:

It’s Fox. Of course they’d remake Gone With the Wind. And cast Taraji P. Henson as Scarlett O’Hara.

• robandco says:

Pardon me but this is ridiculous. Remakes are necessary if you want you “classics” to sustain the trial of time. Those movies you cited are so, SO old and they aged very poorly. They are trying to save these movies by creating a version that could appeal to a whole new generation that may not have seen the original with actors that they know and like and that may want to see it afterwards. Maybe they’re your favorites, but you are not the only person on this planet and no one is forcing you to watch the remake.

• I agree that’s why I love remakes because they keep these classics alive. Remaking Annie, Footloose, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz(Which they have done several times thank god) Willy Wonka , Psycho etc. should be remade for the next generation to keep them alive. If people hate remakes the originals still exist for them to watch.

6. LADY_in_MD says:

I’m looking forward to this nothing will be like the original but hey I’ll still take it

7. opus says:

To cast a transgender female in the role of Dr. Frank-n-furter is just wrong. It makes me wonder if the people at Fox understand the difference between transgender and transvestite.

• shemark57 says:

Love Laverne, but she is so wrong for this. I think Fox is unclear on the concept. Rocky was transgressive because it was about a man, who liked to dress in women’s gear but was still presented as a man, who creates the perfect man for him to have sex with. That was at the core of the show. Tell me, what is transgressive about a woman (even a transgender one) creating the perfect man to have sex with? Yes, Frank has sex with everyone, but the creation of and unabashed adoration of the sex machine Rocky was what was so shocking and brilliant about it. Now, it’s what? Going to be another story about a cougar who wants a young guy? Gag me.

• paula says:

My thoughts exactly. Laverne is not a transvestite. Frankie is.

• Hm says:

I think it’s an odd choice but I defer to Laverne Cox’s opinion on that one.

8. RockyHorrorFan says:

I like Laverne Cox, but there is no reason to re-make a great movie. Seriously, it’s a big mistake.

9. Larc says:

Not in that role. Poor choice.

10. Duane says:

I’m a fan of the movie, but if you’ve ever seen the live stage show you’ll know it can be done much better. The stage show has the energy of a rock concert while the movie is more a campy Hammer pastiche. If they can replicate the energy of the live production then there’s nothing wrong with a remake.

11. Ellie says:

Lame. Should have been cast as Magenta, or better yet, Janet.
    Would have loved RuPaul or one of the drag queens from that show as Frank.

12. lyssandri says:

IF it’s going to be remade – which it shouldn’t – the ONLY person I can think of who could even come close TO doing the role justice would be Eddie Izzard.

13. Lizo says:

Awesome!!! Casting a trans actor for a trans character. And I loooovvveeee Laverne, so I’ll definitely be watching

• shemark57 says:

It’s not a trans character, at least not in the way you mean it. Frankie refers to himself as a “Sweet Transvestite,” which is a completely different thing than being transgender. It’s actually kind of offensive that Fox thinks they are the same thing.

14. I'm a believer says:

I enjoy Laverne Cox on Orange Is the New Black, and I’m happy to hear she’s attached to a pilot on another network, but casting her in the Tim Curry role in Rocky Horror is a disastrous choice.

15. JAO says:

No. Please. No

16. Jay says:

But she’s transgender, not a transvestite. Are they going to butch her up?

17. Eva says:

Yeah, isn’t a woman just the perfect person to play the Sweet Transvestite? Makes sooo much sense… not. Her being comfortable with the role or not doesn’t change much, it will still bomb.

18. Red Snapper says:

No, just no. I love Laverne Cox but she is in no way right for this role. I grew up on Rocky Horror and used to dress up and go to a showing every Saturday night. I decided to reserve judgment on Fox’s version until there were more details but I don’t think I can not if they are going to completely change the main characters.

19. robandco says:

Well I am waiting to hear more from Fox about this gender swap. Will she play a man? Will Rocky be a girl?
    She’s an ok actress I guess but I think she can really sing. Because there are lots of songs in this movie.
    The movie doesn’t need a remake but the songs do. I was very pleased with Glee’s Rocky Horror album. The arrangements were really good and the vocals too.

• Flashrow says:

I am glad somebody aprecciate the glee arrangements, because for me the original voices weren’t that good as everybody states

20. kelly says:

It’s almost offensive to cast her in that role. Its like “Hey i know youve fought alot to be recognized as the woman you are so how about you play the part of a MAN that dresses in lady clothes?!? Close enough right?” I was hoping that they would cast someone like darren criss. His voice is amazing, hair is perfect for frank, and thank to his recent broadway role he has become a boss at strutting in heels. Ofcourse in my dreams they recast tim curry to play a fabulous old frank but obviously that would never happen.

21. Ryan says:

Helena Bonham Carter should play Magenta in this. I feel like it would make this like a thousand times better.