Post Mortems
Flash Wells Returns Earth-Two

The Flash Stars Talk Earth-One's New 'Arrogant' Visitor, 'Huge' Bombshell

The following contains spoilers from this Tuesday’s episode of The Flash.

This week on The Flash, one West got walloped by a whopper, while every effort to manage the “portal” between worlds could not keep a very familiar face from setting foot on Earth One.

ONE MOTHER OF A TWIST | Starting with the more down-to-Earth(-One) drama at hand, Joe faced off with Francine, asking Iris’ believed-dead mother to leave town. But after a heart-to-heart with Barry, Joe instead decided to tell Iris the truth — the second time in as many seasons that he has rocked her world with a wild revelation.

“It was much easier for Joe to pretend that [Francine] died than explain why she was gone and why she wasn’t part of Iris’ life,” Jesse L. Martin shared during our visit to the Flash set this week.

Still, it’s a whole lot of truth for Iris to process — though luckily (?) she has had practice. “It’s interesting,” Candice Patton notes, “because that was such a big the-flash-season-2-photos (10)plot point last season, the lying between family members, between Barry, Iris and Joe. So to go into Season 2 and find out there’s another huge lie that’s being kept from Iris is a big deal.

“But you’ll that this season, Iris is coming around to the idea of understanding that her father, even when he’s lying, he has the best of intentions, and that’s to protect her,” the actress continues. “So while that’s very frustrating for Iris, I think she especially gets it with her mother,” whom she believed was dead but actually had left town battling a nasty drug problem.

“She’s a little more OK with that than not knowing that Barry is The Flash,’ Patton says with a laugh. “That’s something he should have told her! I think she could have handled that!”

But is Iris ready to welcome back Mom? “She doesn’t know if she wants to unbury a part [of her life] that she’s not familiar with,” Patton says. “She’s had this idea of her mother that Joe’s told her about, and to find that’s not what really happened, I don’t know if Iris is emotionally ready to go down that path. So of course, she talks to her best friend Barry, gets some advice on what the best thing to do is.”

As for why Francine made the very bold move to surface at this particular time, “I still don’t really know,” Martin hedges. “All I know is that initially, she really wants to see her daughter.”

WELL, WELL, WELLS…. | The episode’s other big reveal came in the very final moments, when Earth-Two’s Dr. Harrison Wells (played by Tom Cavanagh) arrived in our world, having traveled through the “stabilized” breach based out of S.T.A.R. Labs.

“Shock, confusion, fear” are just some of the emotions evoked by the arrival of this other Wells, says series lead Grant Gustin. Versus the S.T.A.R. Labs founder that Barry thought he knew, but as actually a time-traveler in disguise, “It’s not the same guy,” Gustin notes. “It’s the actual guy that Barry always idolized and looked up to, but from a different world.”

Because this Dr. Wells is the real McCoy, “Barry is wanting to trust him… and in a way is quicker to trust him than he was to trust Jay [Garrick],” Gustin says. Earth-Two’s resident genius is not without his flaws. “He’s less of a bad guy and more of a douche bag,” Gustin quips. Adds Cavanagh, “It wasn’t written that way, but that’s how I decided to do it — more brusque and arrogant…. [He] is a lot less about ‘togetherness.'” As such, Cavanagh expects “a lot of vitriol directed my way this season, and that’s fine.”

All told, “It’s a very interesting relationship,” Gustin previews. “We’re shooting [Episode] 9 now and the layers are still getting peeled back.”

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Lysh says:

That kind of ended almost the same way as last week, except cooler fx as Martin passed out. And Wells coming over, which I’m really excited about.
    Jesse L Martin crying, man. All the feels.

2. StephonJS says:

Ok Some know Wally West is coming so I’m going to take guess and say he’ll be Iris brother instead of nephew. I’m thinking Mrs West left pregnant…
    Over good episode. Daddy Cold is cray cray. I Like seeing the good part of Capt Cold. just a preview of him of whats to come in Legends of Tomorrow
    I’m loving Patty. And she made a funny about the ear

3. I’m not sure how to feel about Harrison Wells’ reappearing in Barry’s life so quickly, would have liked it if they built up to it more.

4. Lily says:

Why would the show spend so much time on Barry/Iris last season, only to drop it completely this season? With zero resolution to any of it?

• wgsecretary says:

Well, Eddie killed himself to save everyone. She’s still dealing with that. It’s been a few months, but it would make Barry seem unlikeable if he tried to pursue or pressure her now. I’d say it has had some resolution in that it may just be forgotten by both of them for now because of what happened.

5. abz says:

Wentworth Miller’s acting in this show has been so terrible. It’s really tough to watch sometimes. I don’t know why they keep bringing the Snart character back.
    It does seem a little soon to have Wells come back. Nevertheless, should be fun.

• wylma says:

Ikr? Both him and Dominic are hamming it up in a terrible way that’s quite cringeworthy.

• robandco says:

I agree. To say this was probably his best episode tells so much… I hope once his character is shipped to Legends of Tomorrow there will be way less of him (crossing my fingers for no more) because his episodes have been the weakest of the series IMO.

• The Watcher says:

Gotta disagree, Both Wentworth and Dominic are playing it “somewhat campy” to great effect. “The Flash” as a series has showcased a more stylized live-action version of the comic book world it’s based upon and as a result, we’re getting performances to match. If they were playing it completely straight and very dark, we wouldn’t be getting the proper tone of Flash’s particular rogue’s gallery.

6. Lily says:

Why is Barry completely over Iris all of a sudden? I think that’s a little bit weird- it’s like he never told her he was in love with her. They’re not really going to drop it completely, are they? There has to still be hints and things, unless they just don’t want them to get together at all anymore. But I figured they would at least admit their feelings by the season finale.

• Achille says:

I think he finally found some respect for Eddie (which he didn’t have while he was alive, repeatedly going after his girlfriend) and Iris’ feelings. In the end, Iris knew about her feelings for Barry and still chose Eddie. She chose a future with him. Barry got the message. Also Eddie died because of him, no matter what we say (Wells was locked up in the pipeline, Barry’s actions changed that)….

• Diane says:

It’s better off dropped.

• Iris’ fiance died in the season finale of season one. I don’t think they’re going to revisit the ship until she’s had time to grieve. Needless to say, I think these two have amazing chemistry and I’m ready for them to explore it at a later time.

7. M says:

I loved the first season of the Flash but this season…I don’t know. Snart murdered a guy in the first season and it was ignored like it didn’t matter. Hell Barry disposed of the evidence for him later on in the season. I just can’t get behind Snart as a hero or frenemy. Barry has had amble time to lock him up for that security guards murder but didn’t. It makes his whole arc about getting justice for his mom seem hypocritical since he helped deny another family justice for their loved one. Snart will never be charged for that murder or any of the other things he’s done because Barry destroyed the evidence.

8. No comment on the Cisco/Lisa situation? Because those two have amazing chemistry. Wouldn’t have predicted it, but… I kinda wonder what’s next for these two.

9. Sheldon W. says:

Since Eddie killed himself to stop Reverse-Flash, Eobard Thawne would never have been born and therefore he would not have killed and replaced Earth One’s Harrison Wells.

Since Star Labs still exists, someone had to have built it and that should have been Earth One’s Wells – yet we see no sign of him. Now we have Earth Two’s Wells appearing and that makes me wonder if Earth One’s real Wells has been killed by one of Zoom’s minions.

The there’s the matter of the A.I. that Barry invented in the future that remained after Eobard Thawne was uncreated and would therefore not have been able to bring it back to our present.

Time travel may make my head hurt, but time traveling with multiverses may just make it explode – and we still haven’t gotten to Legends of Tomorrow! Help me…