Reign Francis Death

Reign First Look: Has King Francis' Final Hour Arrived Already?

Let’s be real: Ever since Francis’ death was confirmed earlier this month, we’ve all been counting down the seconds until he eventually joins Henry and Mufasa and all the other Great Kings of the Past.

Lo and behold, a new photo from Reign‘s Nov. 6 episode, ominously titled “The Price,” finds Mary attending to Francis — and the King of France is definitely looking worse for wear. Could he really be meeting his maker so early in the season?

An additional  photo finds Bash and Charles joining Mary in her grief, and she’ll need all the consoling she can get; in addition to Francis’ (potential) demise, the episode also marks the return of Mary’s ailing mother (played by Private Practice‘s Amy Brenneman).

Reign-deer, do you think Francis is staring Death in the face here? Drop a comment with your thoughts on his exit below.

1. leana says:

They should have gone FULL fiction with this show. They can make up this and that, but Francis HAS to die? hmm, Look what happened last season when they messed with Mary & Francis’ relationship. Ratings dropped. What’s going to happen when Francis actually dies? Bye bye show.

• LK says:

Well you have to stick to the main historical stuff if you base the show on a real person.. Him dying allows them to re-invent the show and move it back to Scotland and away from French court. A lot of stuff happens to Mary when she returns home that would make for a good show.

• Ray says:

Francis’ death is actually long overdue. I would argue it would serve as a catalyst to reinvigorate the show.

• Lynn says:

Actually it isn’t long overdue. He was king for just about 17 months. IRL Marie de Guise also died before him but not the Duke of Guise or Diana Poitier like on the show. I don’t think anything will invigorate this show after the debacle that season 2 turned into.

• tsevca says:

They were married for a year and that marriage ended up being practicly the most insignificant thing in their lives from historical point of view. The things she is famous for all happened after his death. If he stayed alive, they could never move her to Scotland, have her son, get imprisoned and executed. But then why would they make the show about Mary Stuart? There were many French queens that grew old being just their husbands´ wives. If they wanted the show to be about that, they would pick one of them as their main character.

• caitlin says:

This has sadly destroyed my hope for this show. It doesnt have to go with fiction it was a really good show. bye reign you were great at first but its not me its you. :(

2. Television says:

no dont die!

3. MFL says:

I think it needs to be done earlier in the season so his illness and impeding death does not overshadow the whole season. Mary & Francis’ scenes are so depressing & bittersweet.

• Lily says:

Exactly. Let us see the transition while people will still be tuning in weekly. If he does in the finale Season 4 will be “boycotted” or forgotten about between seasons.

I wonder if people realize how many ugly things Mary did for love over country post-French court. The character is a bit of a Mary Sue and I’m ready for some flawed and realistic (but still intriguing) acts as she develops as a character.

4. Ange says:

YES FINALLYYYYYYYYYY

5. ABC says:

Since the “real” King Francis died @ around 16 years of age, yes, finally off him. This is why I never watched this silliness. “Reign” was nothing more than “Melrose Place – the Renaissance Years’, utterly devoid of anything worth seeing — unless you want your kids’ longstanding ignorance of history to continue. It’s lasted three years so I guess a lot of such parents still exist.

6. Ann says:

If Francis dies the show would suck it’s like an epic love story with different twists and turns! I would not be happy with this show if they killed him off

7. Tina says:

I’ve scratch the show from my list. It was bad last season and I see no reason to continue watching it. Kill him now. I won’t be there to see it and it will be the last season. Seems to me the writers can’t find a way to stop people from watching fast enough.

8. Cherry says:

Please give more time and create a different story for Francis. Otherwise, his death will ruin the most interesting thing in the whole season.

9. Karen says:

The story is about Mary Queen of Scots. Francis died very young and Mary went on to lead a very intriguing life and that’s the story that needs to be told.

10. Julie says:

I can’t believe the powers that be is letting Francis die on the show Reign. Only in the third season and they do this. I assure you this show will fall because everyone will stop watching. And that is so sad.

11. ETV says:

They do not HAVE to kill off Francis. If the objective was to keep it true to life, Francis had no children. What was the point of him having a child with Lola? He does not HAVE to die!! leana is absolutely correct. The show is not going to last. If you seek historical facts stick with the history channel, please let the love story continue!! Let Francis live.

12. Sam says:

You are so stupid to kill him. Many viewers will stop watching including me!!!

13. Patricia says:

I think if Francis stayed alive It could open a door to infinite possibilities ti explore the potential ideas to see that one miserable change in the past could affect the whole line of the future.

14. Flower says:

The fact that Francis has to die is extremely ridiculous. I am not watching this show anymore as soon as he dies. I am disgusted with the turn this show is taking. Goodbye Reign.

15. Renee Mickles says:

I hope not! Francis and Mary are perfect for each other and she needs him.

16. keagan says:

SPOILERS!!

well he didn’t die!!!!!! yay!!

17. 17 year old says:

Spoilers!!!!

He does die but then he comes back to life and the price is someone else dies for him to come back to life. For now Francis is alive though and delphine is now dead due to her saving him.

18. Becky LaFleur says:

I think she should become pregnant with his child from the time they were together before he died.

19. Vicki says:

I’ve been watching Reign from the first episode & I to love Mary & Francis relationship. I’m still watching even though Francis has died but just tonight I watched episode 5 again just to see how perfect they are together! Actually I cried during his funeral scene. I hate that he’s gone but please let Mary be pregnant with his child!

20. Meredith says:

I really wish that Mary found out she is pregnant and it was actually Francis’ child since they actually done something right before he died! Would that make her more powerful? She would be in danger also! Idk just a thought!

Meredith