Gilmore Girls Time Jump

Gilmore Girls Revival on Netflix: Yep, There Will Be a [Spoiler]

Now that the initial shock surrounding the Gilmore Girls announcement heard ’round the galaxy is beginning to wear off — is it though? — you’re likely moving on to Stage 2 of TV Revival Euphoria known as the “We need more scoop!” phase.

As TVLine reported, Netflix’s in-the-works Gilmore continuation will consist of four 90-minute mini-movies written by series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino).

Well, I’m also hearing that, yep, there will be a time jump. According to sources, the story that Team Palladino pitched to Netflix meets up with Lorelai, Rory, Emily & Co. in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

And here’s another tidbit: The plan, as I understand it, is for most — if not all — of Rory’s major suitors (i.e. Logan, Jess and Dean) to turn up in the four super-sized installments.

Oh, and lastly, have I mentioned this is not a drill?

1. Amanda says:

If Rory doesn’t end up with Jess then honestly what was the point.

• anon123 says:

… for her to end up with Logan.

• Rob Watkins says:

To not end up with an a-hole. What was remotely romantic about the guy? He was a jerk to everyone, including Rory! “They both loved books” isn’t a good answer. Lots of people like books, that doesn’t make them great boyfriends. Rory doesn’t have to end up with any of them. That’s one of the things I liked about the ending, she was a young girl just starting out in life, she didn’t have to make such a huge choice like whom she would marry fresh out of college.

• Gern Blanston says:

Just out of curiosity, did you watch the entire run of the show? Part of your comment makes in seem like you did, I agree that one of the best parts of the ending was that Rory went out on her own, and the other part makes it seem like you missed the part where Jess grew up and grew out of being the angry, young jerk that he started out as. By the end of the show he was confident, no longer angry at the world or himself and on his way to being a self made success. Out of the three boyfriends that Rory had he was the only one that grew up into a seemingly well adjusted adult.

• Bwhit says:

Thank you!!! Are people forgetting that Jess reappeared as an author and completely turned his life around and credited some of that to Rory and thanked Luke for everything? I feel like the people that hate him seem to forget the time he showed up when Rory wasn’t at a good place and reminded her what she once wanted (not saying that’s why she went back, but it helped). To each their own I guess.

• Gern Blanston says:

I honestly believe that the people that prefer Logan to Jess get caught up in the idea of his money. Logan was just as big a jerk to Rory as Jess was. The difference was that he kept on doing it long after Jess got his act together. When things went wrong he would get drunk and pout, he stole something from her grandparent’s house, he was insecure about her relationship with Jess, and then after dating for 2-3 years he pulls the ultimate “I don’t know my girlfriend at all” move and proposes to her when she is just 22 and hadn’t had a chance to go out and live her life. You don’t get to be Christiane Amanpour by getting married at 22. People that prefer Logan seem to whitewash over his constant immaturity and want to hammer Jess for things that he did when he was 16 coming from a total dumpster fire of a childhood. I don’t get it.

• Weird, I actually did forget that Jess comes back. Is that in season 7? I binge watched it once when the DVDs came out and then never looked at it again.

• S. says:

Wow how obnoxious, Gern, to imply Logan supporters are just basically gold digger-shippers or something. I have no interest in his money when it comes to him and Rory, so get over yourself. Your romanticizing Jess for being self-made and slamming Logan and his supporters implies some class issues you really need to get over. Giant chip on that shoulder. Jess is trying to grow up, but he is by no means a nice guy to most people (including, and this is key, Lorelei) and hadn’t grown into any kind of adult truly–none of them had, they were just into their 20s. You don’t know anything about how they all were as adults. We watched the series to the end, sweetie. Saying we must not’ve is silly and telling us the true meaning of Christmas on this subject is really condescending. ‘You must not’ve watched it or you’d have come to the same conclusion I did because it’s the only right one. Now lemme tell you what you would’ve realized if you had’? Please.

• Karen says:

Jess was the worst of her boyfriends, he was an ahole to everyone

• Lindsey says:

Uhm, did you not see the entire series? Or the part where Jess comes back as an accomplished writer who completely turned his life around? Or the part where he comes back and thanks Rory for how she helped him grow as a person and how he attributed his success to Luke? Yeah, he grew up with a crappy childhood and hated himself and the world, but that was in the past. It’s who you are now and who he’s become now thats what matters.

And if we’re talking about someone who was an ahole to everyone and didn’t redeem himself, I think that would be Logan.

• Vicious Trollop says:

LOL “accomplished writer”? He wrote ONE tiny book that he printed himself…it was never bought, sold, publicized, nothing. Yeah, he wrote a book, that was cool. But he was not, by any stretch of the imagination, an “accomplished” writer. And he was always a jerk, including to Rory. Not saying Logan or Dean weren’t, but Rory should absolutely not end up with Jess, just because they both liked books and a lot of the fandom seems to have a thing for “bad boys”. Grow up.

• S. says:

Amen. I don’t see how watching the entire series means Jess got rid of his jerkishness. He still never was appropriately respectful to Lorelei ever. Logan wasn’t a jerk to Rory, and he most certainly knew that to be with her he needed Lorelei’s approval. Dean and Jess didn’t seek that ultimately. Only Logan thought to do it. He valued approval by Rory and her mom ahead of his own family. He knew what values to reject by the end.

• lori says:

First of all, oh my god! But yes, Jess is the guy. Thanks for saying that!

• Cass says:

The point was that men may come and go but Rory and Lorelai will always be there for each other. Rory deserved better than Dean, Jess, and Logan, and I would be happier if her character was still single rather than settle on one of them.

• Katie says:

Cass, we are in total agreement.

• CaptainOats says:

Yessssssssssss!!!!! Exactly. This show predated the current constant obsession w/ “which of these dudes is she gonna end up w/.” The story was about the two women and their relationship NOT about some dude Rory did or did not end up with.

• therufs says:

• Dee says:

Agreed. None of her exes were horrible, evil villains by any stretch of the imagination. They were flawed, immature guys and Rory herself was no perfect saint of a girlfriend either. However, some relationships belong in the past and there’s nothing wrong with that.

• Jakay says:

In some ways, Logan was her Christopher (rich, unreliable, good-looking in a boyish, blondish way) while Jess was her Luke for obvious reasons, including the fact that he was related to Luke, although he certainly wasn’t as sweet or useful (coffe, chuppah, etc) as Luke. I don’t know who Dean relates to, but Lorelai had plenty of boyfriends, so I’m sure there’s somebody. To me, the plot of the new series should be that Rory comes home from a stint as an international something or other (journalist or aid worker or even diplomat) and all three men from her past come to see her, hoping to rekindle their past, but she has moved on, realizes that picking someone her mom would’ve chosen is no good, and falls into a more mature and grounded relationship with someone played by Vincent Kartheiser. That would be awesome!

• LC says:

Sorry, Jess was not Rory’s Luke. Being related to Luke is where the comparison ends. He was nothing but a jerk to her. He only wanted her as a conquest, to prove that he could get her from Dean. Once he did, he treated her so badly. Logan was a child. Dean had no ambition. She deserves better than any of the three. Dean would have held her back, Jess would have treated her like dirt, and Logan wouldn’t be there for her.

• Jasonb says:

Dean was Max.

• Simon Jester says:

I want her to end up with Marty (a.k.a. naked dorm guy).

• CaptainOats says:

I know, right? If Rory is w/ anyone from the show, this is the only acceptable answer.

• Dee says:

Yes! That’s his name. I always thought “that naked dude at the beginning of Rory’s college years was pretty cute and he had great chemistry with her.” I always wished he had stuck around and they had explored his character and their storyline more.

• Angelica says:

exactly, even Jared Padalecki and Czuchry are TEAM JESS

2. Midnight says:

I hope they manage to bring Paris, Sookie, and Kirk back too! Wouldn’t be Gilmore Girls without them.

3. Tricia says:

Naked Guy! Naked Guy! Naked Guy!

4. Luli says:

You are kidding me!!!!!! This is so exciting!!! 🎉🎉🎉🙌🙌🙌

5. serena says:

6. Angela says:

7. Lysh says:

Time jump to present day is not surprising. When I binged it earlier this year, I discovered I didn’t like any of those guys (and I loved Jess when I was a teenager), but it will be nice to see them reprise their roles if they can get them all back. I just hope Rory’s a big-time journalist and still has a great relationship with her mom.

8. Babybop says:

I don’t even care if she (*gag*) ends up with Jess as long as Luke and Lorelai are together. I hope they can get Melissa McCarthy back for at least one episode. Gah, I’m just so excited I want to cry!

9. Steven says:

Maybe Logan ran off to Chicago and opened a law firm. I’m hoping Rory doesn’t end up with Jess. I think I’m in the minority on this.

10. Bwhit says:

Rory+Jess=endgame. That is my perfect reboot scenario!

11. Michael says:

I am in tears (of happieness) over this news!!!!

12. Joni says:

Can we find out PLEASE that Rory went to Yale to get her Masters Degree? She really needs to fulfill that Yale dream of hers.

13. abz says:

I’m really curious to see if they’ll get Melissa McCarthy to agree to make an appearance.

14. abz says:

OMG and I just remembered I hope we can see Paris again too.

15. This keeps getting better and better. Jess and Rory, please please please! I’m happy to see them all though.

16. MFL says:

There’s a serious shortage of new show ideas…

• c-mo says:

This is a re-do that I can get behind because it sounds more like a do-over to right the hideous wrongs to which we were subjected by TPTB at the CW!

17. Mary says:

Today I had a student tell me I make math awesome. I baked the most perfect batch of butter pecan cookies. This news tops my day!
    Do we have any start dates or possible dates?
    Add to the must-see’s list… a town meeting thats inappropriately off topic. Seeing Rory excel in her career. Christopher happy with somebody else off screen and far far away. A happy Christopher is a gone Christopher.

18. Amanda says:

As someone who is still a few eps from finishing the series, I don’t get the Rory/Jess pairing at all. I can’t say what I want from the revival yet since I’m not done except that I do want Mechele!

• cmderr says:

You’ll dislike Logan by the end too. Though I think that was, out of the main 3, the one who best fit with her. I hate Jess.

• Alice says:

I don’t understand it now- but I remember thinking it was a fantastic relationship when it first aired! Other than the actor being really good looking, I’m not sure what I saw in it! He treats her terribly- like he doesn’t really enjoy being around her. It wasn’t healthy at all. But I could see that an older, settled, less angry Jess might be in a better place to have a healthy relationship. Although you could say that about Logan too. But not Dean- the adultery makes it too icky.

• Ari says:

When I was a teenager I torally got the attraction to Jess. When I re watched when I was older I got the appeal of Logan a lot more. Dean was just an adulterous jackass so if she in any way shape or form goes back to Dean I might have to rage a bit.

• A says:

Dean was so much more than that. I loved him in the beginning. Rory also took part in that adultery. She’s not innocent.

19. aph1976 says:

I hope all the characters return even if it’s just to see where they are in their lives now.That way we can have closure.Plus i also wonder if all 4 movies will be connected somehow.Plus i’m also sure at least one of the movies will be about Richard’s death and his family mourning him.

20. Lauren says:

Agreed but I actually hope Luke and Lorelei have already been married a while. That would make me happier than to know there’s still been that loose end this much longer.

21. Martha Tybur says:

I always thought they needed to have a 10 yr high school reunion show. They all jump 10 years. Hope Paris comes. Logan needs to be a lawyer, Rory a HC advisor, Luke and Lorelei have a son, Jess is trying to turn his life around,Dean’s on his 3rd marriage with kids from every wife. OK, I made a few tacky. Hope Paris is married to her boyfriend, can’t think of his name.

22. Alice says:

I could do without any more Dean (and frankly- I think having him around is kind risky, have you seen how often they kill off women on his current show? Keep Jared far, far, away from our Gilmore girls!).
    Really hope Michel comes back.

23. jj says:

This news has made my entire week! I’m ecstatic! Edward Herrmann will most certainly be missed

24. Kris says:

So excited about this! I hope Rory ends up with Logan!!

25. lori says:

So, just my opinion, but I think Logan actually didn’t treat Rory well. Dean was good at first, but couldn’t handle who Rory was. Jess didn’t treat her well but as he got older and more mature he was perfect for her. He was the one who made her realize the mistakes she was making. I think they would haven a good pair.

26. Mickey Hall says:

I love Gilmore Girls and want Rory with Logan. Dean was the cutest but Logan was the best. Jess was the worst.

27. While I think April and her mom can go off into the unknown and never be spoken of again, the actress who portrayed April has actually gotten much better over the years with SaB and I would ok with maybe a 5-10 minute cameo.

28. San Summer says:

Thank you for the tidbit that the plan is for Dean (Jared Padalecki) to come back as well!!!!! Of course Rory would have to find out how handsome her ex grew up to be ;D

29. Aleana says:

Rory and Jess better be the couple that win out

30. Martha says:

I forgot, Rory is married to an ad man. And Lane’s made it big on the music scene. What has happened to Mrs. Kim?

31. Diz says:

I only cared for Dean, the other 2 I could do without.

32. Beckers0505 says:

Logan please!!! Paris as well!!!

33. Anya says:

I’m so tired of those Jess dean Logan discussions. They all suck, let’s move on to some new meat!

34. Kate says:

I’m crying this is a dream

35. Sarah says:

Michael, I love you. I’m the biggest GG dork but I’m always willing to concede the title to you as you’ve represented us crazies for as long as I can remember. Thank you for poking and prodding this cast and ASP (especially) during the destitute 8 year tumbleweed. I can’t believe we’re actually getting a revival… WITH AMY MF SHERMAN PALLADINO AT THE HELM! 4 WORDS!!!!

36. Nicole says:

Team Jess! Or someone new!

37. Maddie says:

Who are these sources?

38. Kristen says:

Logan! ❤

39. Nic says:

Team Logan all the way.

40. Stacy says:

Above all else – thank you ASP! At this point Lorelai could marry Paul Anka the dog and I might be okay with it. I’m that desperate. So thank you, I love you, write like the wind!

41. Allyson says:

This piece of news of a Gilmore Girls revival just made my day. I am so thrilled!! I am hoping Luke and Lorelai ended up married with twins. It would be nice to see Jess again and of course Sookie. Hopefully Melissa will be able to take time off to film with everyone again. It will be sad without Richard.

42. JJ says:

Frankly I didn’t want any of Rory’s former boyfriends to come back. I was hoping for a new guy for Rory.

43. Kevin H. says:

Liza Weil better be in this. O most holy Shonda, please give the artist also known as Paris Gellar a reprieve to go step back into Stars Hollow again. Seriously! Amen.

44. Miranda says:

I was always Team Jess but now that Matt Czuchry has pretty much erased that douche-image of Logan from my mind thanks to his great work on The Good Wife, gotta say I wouldn’t be mad if she ended up with him after all!

45. Sandy says:

I really hope lorelei married luke and I really hope Rory didn’t end up with Logan. Logan was heading towards being a corporate guy and even though he hated his father, I see him ending up just like him in a lot of ways. Whatever happens I’m excited to see the GG’s return.

46. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that Netflix decide to revival Gilmore Girls again. It will be interested to see how the four mini-movie will fill the gap from the last episode. I still hope that the show will get the original cast to revival their role again.

47. Flipping through my emails this am and I don’t believe my eyes, if it isn’t the Gilmores making a bit of a come back yay. I do hope Rory is with Logan. Someone else commented that he made her act all spoiled like. I think he made her all interesting like and there’s nothing wrong with stepping out of your comfort zone especially when she never did

48. Sarah Bear says:

I also hope that Luke and Lorelai stayed together.

49. mooshki says:

Has TVLine ever considered changing their name to ‘Shippers Anonymous? Can’t believe how worked up people get about their favorite pairings.

50. Erin B says:

I always hated what they did to Lane’s character. I hope her future is bright. I am with others that said Rory is better than all of her suitors. I’d rather see her with someone new or no one at all. They all had major flaws in my opinion.