SNL Tracy Morgan Best Worst

Tracy Morgan Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Only a stone-cold* person could’ve hoped for Tracy Morgan to achieve anything less than a triumphant return to Saturday Night Live this week. After all, the SNL vet has been laying low ever since a horrific car accident in June 2014 resulted in a traumatic brain injury and other dire complications. (*Yes, that’s an overt reference to a jam by much-better-than-anticipated musical guest Demi Lovato.)

The good news is Morgan doesn’t appear to have lost any of his self-deprecating goofballery, and better still, several special guests — Curb Your Enthusiam‘s Larry David (as Bernie Sanders!), as well as Morgan’s 30 Rock cohorts Tina Fey, Jack McBrayer, Jane Krakowski and Alec Baldwin — lent their talents to the installment.

The bad news? After last week’s razor-sharp Amy Schumer-fronted episode, this time around a lot of the writing felt globby and unformed, with flashbacks to old Morgan characters (i.e. Brian Fellows) coming off more nostalgic than reinvigorated.

Below, my picks for best-in-show, plus two that make the “worst of” cut.

BEST: TINA FEY ON PLAYBOY
Fey’s scathing takedown of the magazine’s decision to no longer include nude photos in its pages included her observation that Hugh Hefner’s female employees had been robbed of the opportunity to participate in “a fake five-way with a hundred-year-old sex monster.” Fey’s followup rundown of the sexy poses she’ll never get to strike — “the last time I did this this long, a baby came out” — only added to the hilarity.

BEST: “LET’S DANCE”
Morgan’s best moment of the night was playing a bar patron engaged in a standoff with Taran Killam whose “let’s dance” grumble was meant quite literally. “You don’t want to put a rose in my mouth?” Mogran asked, incredulously, before finally guilting his way into a tango in which he didn’t have to lead. The ballet flats were an especially nice touch.

HONORABLE MENTION: DEMI LOVATO
Yowza! The pop chanteuse’s powerful one-two punch of “Confident” and “Stone Cold” turned this non-believer into a likely iTunes downloader.

WORST:THE LOVELIEST KINGDOM
Morgan played a clockmaker upsetting his Medieval town by dropping unfiltered stream-of-consciousness like “Do you cross your legs on the toilet?” — until said honesty inspired their’s. The punchline — Killam’s admission to having sex with an 18-year-old “boy-child” was even more abrupt and less amusing in practice than I’m able to accurately convey in words.

WORST: WILLIE ON WEEKEND UPDATE
Kenan Thompson’s relentlessly sunny sad-sack made a nobody-asked-for-this encore, coughing up tasteless childhood memories about witnessing his father committing sex acts on a carved-out pumpkin and being paid to push fleeing victims of real-life serial-killer Jeffrey Dahmer back into his cannibalistic house of horrors. With punch lines like this, who needs syrup of ipecac in their first-aid kit?

Your turn. What did you think of this week’s SNL? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments! (We’ll post video as soon as it’s available on Sunday a.m.)

1. I wasn’t that bothered by their clear and obvious bias for Hillary the past few weeks, but I was super grossed out over how they’ve gone one step further into fear mongering by claiming that not voting for Hillary means handing the White House keys to Trump. It’s not the typical insane, racist paranoid fear mongering you expect from Fox News, but it’s pretty awful nonetheless. Remember when SNL’s political humor was edgy and relevant?

• John Arthur says:

Yes we all know SNL hates Donald Trump, they hate him so much he’s hosting Nov. 7th. See I was young dumb and conservative once to, Then I saw the conservative party for what it was, one wing based on social darwinism, that wants to shut down government and default on our debt. And the other wing that wishes to feed an industrial complex with needless wars while cutting taxes and deregulating Wall Street to fleece as much money from our nation as possible.

• Lily says:

I’m sorry, young and dumb and conservative once “to?” Thankfully I don’t even need to further detail why you sound so absolutely ignorant so early in your post.

News flash: young conservatives aren’t blind Trump enthusiasts (Fiorina or Kasich are vastly preferable), but it’s fun to watch the tirades of the ignorant Democrats who think Trump is actually the person to worry about while blindly supporting that crook HRC.

• TD says:

That was the Hillary CHARACTER who said that.

2. SPAMMER says:

SPAM DELETED #TVLineCares

3. Tony Allison says:

So glad to see Tracy back on his game. I love the dudes humor and always have. Just glad he’s back!!!

4. zac says:

Weekend Update is improving. Loving the Colin-Jost-is-white shtick they’re doing and they seem to have found a groove. ANd I always considered Demi Lovato as the one with the best vocals who recently came out of Disney but wow, her voice and I’m quite sure she did it live.

5. tashawnda price says:

I was so looking forward to last night’s episode, but when Tracy Morgan focused too much on his accident, my expectations were dashed. I was actually waiting for him to say something like a multi-million dollar settlement will help you heal recover in record time!
    I tried to give the show a chance, but I now get the point that maybe it’s time for SNL to call it quits, because the show is no longer FUNNY.

• Carrie says:

What?! How could he not talk about his accident during his monologue? It’s not like he went on and on about it. I thought it was touching that his “30 Rock” costars came to support him. It was one of the best opening monologues in a while.

6. OhMy says:

When did we decide last week’s show was “razor sharp”?

• Padraig Tipton says:

Agreed about last week’s show. A few laughs in the opening monologue, during the flight sketch, and during the news does not constitute a “razor sharp” outing. And considering the host is a stand-up comedian and has a sketch comedy show of her open, I found Amy’s episode to be very disappointing.

7. Joey Padron says:

New episode was really good and very funny. It’s great to see Tracy back on the show. Love 30 Rock reunion. Best episode of new season so far.

8. Considering the controversy a few years ago when Tracy said he would stab his hay son, they should have skipped the hay joke, especially since it wasn’t even funny.

9. A. D. says:

Last weeks episode sucked! Razor Sharp! Ugh…this episode helped me put that hideous episode with Amy NO TALENT in a deep dark abyss!

• zac says:

Yes, let’s blame the host who had little to no part in writing the skits. Amy Schumer is talented and funny. .ANd her show actually beat SNL at the Emmys so…Deal with it

10. Mr. Tran K says:

I give the Tracy Morgan episode of SNL an A and in my opinion, it was best if not one of the best episodes this season. The Brian Fellow sketch made me laugh back in the day as well as Astronaut Jones and in the monologue, he brought his old pals from the hit sitcom 30 Rock to join them for Tracy’s heartwarming return. All I can say is WELCOME BACK TRACY.

11. Ron says:

Meh. It certainly wasn’t the worst episode in recent memory. But the problem is, personally, while I’m super glad that Tracy is starting to bounce back from that horrific accident, I just never really found him funny, and I still don’t. That said, Larry David as Bernie Sanders was so spot on it was almost scary. And as someone who never paid Demi Lovato dust as a music artist, I must say, I was actually very impressed. I *may* even consider getting that Stone Cold song of hers.

12. Phillip says:

The Family Fued one was hilarious.

13. Allison says:

No mention of the camel butt? lol

14. Joe says:

Uh…I don’t think we watched the same two shows. While I love Schumer, personally I don’t think that her episode was “razor-sharp.” I was actually a little disappointed having had much bigger expectations. As for last night with Morgan, I found myself laughing more than in recent memory at SNL. True, the “Brian Fellows” skit was a throw-back, it was a great reminder of Morgan “back in the day.” Not everything needs to be reinvented. Some things are just funny and age well with time, too. BTW, I’m a HUGE Tina Fey fan, but, uh, “BEST?” I think it missed it’s mark. Also surprised that you didn’t find the “Family Feud” skit funny enough to be at least “HONORABLE MENTION” material. (Side note: while I think that Leslie Jones is really talented, I wish she’d stop screaming almost every line she has.)

15. Brandy says:

The Jackie Chan sketch had me ROLLING.

With the exception of the Loveliest Kingdom sketch, I thought this episode was great from top to bottom. (But where was Vanessa?)

16. Jake says:

A couple of times, Tracy clearly tried very hard to NOT refer to his Brian Fellow character as “Brian Fellows,” but alas (and as usual), he added the possessive from the title of the segment (Brian Fellow’s Safari Planet) each and every time. At least Pete Davidson got it right.

17. jamie says:

Donald trump is the best. He has my vote we need him for president

• grazelled says:

Critique of Nov. 6 show? Wow! Sees in to the future, amazing… Last night was Tracy Morgan’s show but nice to know you like Trump.

SNL is funniest when the writers bring material right to the edge of suggestive instead of spelling things out. Loved the writing when Tina/Amy, Seth/Tina were Weekend anchors. The writing needs to get better, the actors really try but the writing still needs help.

• maggie says:

Thanks for your comment Mr. Trump, um, I mean, “jamie.” ;)

18. HAP says:

Tracy Morgan has NEVER been funny.

19. Luis says:

Larry David as Bernie Sanders was hilarious. Tina on Weekend Update was a scream. A “30 Rick” reunion – it was great to see how happy they all were to be there with Tracy. Loved the barroom sketch with Tracy and Taran Killam. Demi Lovato was very enjoyable, with a great voice. Definitely could have lived without Willie and that fake cocaine sketch.

20. Angus says:

The last time I laughed at a SNL skit Belushi and Ackroyd where doing it. I watched out of curiousity to see what the big deal was about Morgan. There was nothing funny about anything he or any of them did. Time to pack this dud in.