Phoebe Tonkin The Originals

Performer of the Week: Phoebe Tonkin

THE PERFORMER | Phoebe Tonkin

THE SHOW | The Originals

THE EPISODE | “You Hung the Moon” (Oct. 15, 2015)

THE PERFORMANCE | It’s a good thing Hayley’s werewolf curse has been lifted on The Originals, because it would be a crime to keep Phoebe Tonkin off our screens for another minute.

Thursday’s hotly anticipated Hayley/Klaus reunion — the two hadn’t seen each other since he orchestrated that curse on her entire pack — was guaranteed to be electric, but Tonkin’s ferocious portrayal of a hybrid-mother scorned officially upgraded the encounter to a full-on lightning storm.

Emotionally, this episode ran Tonkin through the gamut, and she crushed every challenge that came her way: Hayley’s rage during that must-replay battle against Klaus, her pain when she first laid eyes on Hope (walking!) and, ultimately, her sense of tentative joy with Jackson.

Tonkin has already delivered her share of standout moments throughout The Originals‘ 46-episode run — we still get all misty-eyed thinking about that Season 1 finale speech when she decides to give up Hope — but her level of commitment and the sheer scope of her performance in Thursday’s episode certainly raised the bar for her moving forward. We look forward to what’s next.

CEG101_0073rHONORABLE MENTION | We’d gladly spend two hours (four in traffic) singing the praises of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s co-creator and star Rachel Bloom. We’re still not 100 percent sure how she made the overdramatic Rebecca Bunch — who ditched New York City and a legal partnership for West Covina, Calif., and the slim chance of reuniting with her teen love — such a likable presence. Maybe it was the screwball sense of purpose she brought to the role. Or maybe it was Bloom’s amazing vocal ability, showcased in an ode to her new town and the insanely catchy/slightly horrifying “Sexy Getting Ready Song” during the premiere of The CW’s new comedy. Rebecca may be sorta nutty, but we’re the ones crazy about Bloom’s breakout performance.

last-man-season-2-kristen-schaal-hmHONORABLE MENTION | Will Forte might serve as the eponymous Last Man on Earth, but it was Kristen Schaal who stole the show in Sunday’s “Dead Man Walking.” After two episodes that showcased how Carol had rubbed off on Phil and made him a better man, the October 11 installment showed how Phil had rubbed off on Carol, and made her a more comfortable liar, as she dug deeper into the idea that Phil was already dead. Whether she was recreating the blood-curdling screams of Phil falling to his death at the Grand Canyon, or objecting to Phil 2.0’s advances during her “mourning period” by throwing her veil back over her face and claiming she had forgotten to use sunscreen, Carol went all in on her not-so-little white lie. In the process, Schaal reminded us what a comedy tour-de-force she is.

Which performances knocked your socks off this week? Hit the comments!

1. Platynum says:

Not a fan of the actress because i think she needed voice lessons but I must say she did kill the scene with Klaus.Lets see how the rest of the season goes.

• Ingrid says:

My thoughts too. I was never particularly impressed with her acting but she did really well during this episode, especially the scene with Klaus.

2. Alex says:

I loved Ellen’s Pompeo speech on Greys!

No mention from TWD?

• Wordsmith says:

I feel like TWD’s premiere was more about the spectacle and less about any of the individual performances. Maybe a nod for Ethan Embry, who did a surprising amount of work fleshing-out his character in the span of just one episode.

3. Erin says:

She is phenomenal and did wonderful. Im so proud of her. Keep it up Phoebe! And we klayley’s love you so so so much. Muah!

4. Farhiya says:

Phoebe Was great in season 3 episode 2

5. Edward says:

I’d at least give an honorable mention to Ellen Pompeo and Eden Sher from the Middle for that very subtle scene

6. Dude says:

Has she improved as an actress? I like Phoebe and I haven’t watched The Originals in about a season but she was always someone I thought of as one of their weaker actors.

• Renata says:

No she did not, she still is

• Sharon says:

Um yeah, she is certainly not the best, lol

• MFL says:

Trust me Hayley’s not going to be the worst anymore on TO, Rebecca Breeds who is portraying Aurora…she’s Australian and she was horrible in Home & Away and she already seems terrible in TO with that choppy English accent.

• MFL says:

In this last epi 3×02 she has really improved heaps, liked her interactions with Davina and the Klaus confrontation, we’ll see how the season go…I never watched TO season 1 because of her and I found her really annoying on TVD.

• Jbj says:

Hmm, I thought she was great on TSC. And while I wasn’t too happy with the hybrid story on TVD, Hayley really grew on me. I don’t think she’s a weak actress at all, she just not as bombastic as some of the others.

• Chrisa says:

She is really good!!Especially at this episode don’t listen to the haters

7. Cassie says:

Phoebe was perfect and that Klayley scene was everything. Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin shine together on screen

8. Gilded Lady says:

Joseph deserved kudos for that scene with Hayley and Hope too, because without that sense that Klaus so loves his daughter that he’ll allow himself to be beat up (from a guy who never backs down) the scene wouldn’t have had the same emotional punch that it did. It’s easily one of the best scenes the show has ever had.

• Jess says:

Totally agree about Joseph…when he didn’t fight back because his daughter :’) because there’s no other reason why Klaus had not responded to Hayley in that fight.

9. Caroline says:

now makes more sense why Phoebe Tokin was “the performer of the week” … Andy wrote it, sorry but make exaggerate gestures with eyes and mouth is not a performer.

10. Win says:

Love both Honorable Mention choices! Plus, thank you for solving something for me – I was chatting up the show and called the creator/actress “Rebecca Bloom” and thought I’d made the worst kind of cultural faux pas… then I remembered a fictional character from The O.C. had that name… now I see that I combined the real last name with the first name of the character (I’m used to TV people keeping their first name and changing the last name of the character). And… no one really needed that rambling, but it’s here, it’s weird, get used to it. P.S. No shade on this week’s winner, I just don’t watch The Originals. :)

11. Andreia says:

I love The Originals ! Seriously such a great show. The actores are amazing, especially Joseph Morgan (Klaus)… and I must say Phoebe kill in this episode. The fight scene between Joseph and Phoebe , WOW! phenomenal chemistry.

12. Bwhit says:

I loved Phoebe in this episode, and Joseph Morgan was great as well. I also thought Jonathan Tucker killed it in Kingdom’s premiere, his one liners and overall performance stole the show. I hope he gets some recognition at some point this season!

13. Ellie J. says:

Im sorry, but this must be a cruel joke. Phoebe, no matter how lovely she is, can NOT act . While yes, in this particular episode she did mediocre and a little bit better than the last 2 seasons, her performance still doesn’t shine.
    Joseph, Daniel or even the baby then are more worthy of this nomination
    TWD, TF or even The Gothams Penguin would have been better for this week nomination.

• Kaitlyn says:

We’ll Andy is trying to get a writing job on the show like his bestie Carina. So of course he is going to write a shining review of a hack of an actress. Being beautiful doesn’t make her an actress. This article is a joke.

14. Kim S. says:

Jerrika Hinton was exceptional in this week’s Grey’s.

15. Susannah says:

I fully admit that I didn’t see Phoebe Tonkin’s acting but how can she beat Rachel Bloom, who was able to balance her character’s crazy with so much charm as well as singing and dancing her way through a song where she her character had her butt waxed? Who can compete with that??

16. Nicole says:

Was hoping it would be Brad and sue from the Middle for the scene in the car where Brad comes out to Sue. Sometimes the little subtle moments can have the most impact.

17. may says:

lmao oh andy you have to STOP! Your obvious desperation to get julie plec to love you is reaching a pathetic status now!

Phoebe Tonkin is a horrible actress who cant emote a single emotion! And her performance this ep was like every other ep comical to say the least but hey andy keep this up and maybe your blatant sad ass kissing will lead to a writer job just like your buddy carina was awarded with after her sucking up to julie for years

• Kay says:

Lmao Phoebe did great and her performance clearly made an impact on you to make the effort to leave a whiny comment. These columnists have friendly relationships with a lot of writers for various shows, its not ass kissing. I wonder if you made this same complaint when anyone else from TVD/TO is praised or if you like to just throw a fit when a cast member you don’t like is chosen.

• Kaitlyn says:

No this is straight up a suck up article. This show is garbage and everyone knows it. The only one with talent is Joseph Morgan. That guy went to a legit acting school and trained. This girl can’t even do a convincing American accent!

• ChrisGa says:

Uh, yeah, I respectfully disagree with you regarding Joseph Morgan being the only actor with any talent on that show; Daniel Gillies is every bit the actor Morgan is and shows far more nuance than Morgan’s often-overacting came accommodate.

• Katie says:

Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Claire Holt (when she does a cameo) and Riley Voekel are all talented. That core group, their interactions, are fun to watch, at least for me. I love the flashbacks with Kol and Finn. I thought the Klaus/Haley “reunion” was really good, though I noticed she slipped up on her American accent in the opening scene with Davina (Danielle Campbell). Although Phoebe did a good job, I think Joseph Morgan should have at least an honorable mention. I mean the look on his face when he saw Hope walking!!! That was great!

• Jbj says:

Wow, that’s pretty harsh. She actually made me cry during the S1 finale, and that’s pretty rare for me.

18. Kay says:

Phoebe being the performer of the week was definitely deserved, this was a major episode for her character and she dealt very well with the challenging and emotional material!

19. Miranda says:

I find Phoebe Tonkin to be a mostly unwatchable actress.

20. Sasha says:

Phoebe did wonderful and that Klaus/Hayley confrontation was outstanding. Phoebe and Joseph deserve all the awards

21. Mimi says:

Sorry Tvline, but you really missed the boat by not giving Eden Sher an honorable mention. The scene between Sue and Brad was so beautiful, so heartfelt and so unexpected for a comedy.

22. Julia says:

Ian Somerhalder was amazing in TVD this week in the scenes with Annie Werching. Just incredible, he should really get more credit for his acting overall too.

23. Alrisha says:

Joke of the month!!

24. tanyan531 says:

Ugh.. I guess it was just me then because I thought PT was even worse than usual … I honestly thought that Hayley/Klaus scene was laughable… Very simply put, I think PT fails miserably at trying to show pizzed off bad azz… Enough with the character/actress propping … PT’s sub par acting is never more obvious than when she’s in scenes with JM… It’s simply my opinion that they should send this whiny character and her boring husband back to the swamp and focus more on the interesting characters like the Mikaelson’s…

• JD says:

GOD YES, I am so over the Jayley drama and their complete lack of charisma. I agree that Phoebe was worse than usual, and I think it’s getting less tolerable because they keep on repeating this whole Klaus/Hayley/Hope drama with zero changes or progress. Like, you could literally switch out lines from previous scenes and fights with others and you’d barely know the difference. Just let them go back to their swamp kingdom and focus on the actual Mikaelsons doing cool vampire stuff.

25. Maya says:

Really TV Line? Phoebe is a lot of things but being a good actress isn’t one of them.

26. Jess says:

Phoebe can act alot better than the lot of you. Oh my god, stop the bitching. It’s very painful to watch a bunch of people who wouldn’t know how to act if their lives depended on it.

27. Stark Sands deserves a nod for this week’s Minority Report in which he showed the desperation/optimism of someone who has been isolated most of their lives finally connecting with someone in a sensual way.

28. christina says:

Phoebe and Joseph did a great job. Phoebe made me emotional cause I knew where she was coming. I’m loving the klaus& hayley dynamic to me they are the most interesting relationship on the show and enjoyable to watch. I can’t wait to see more of their interactions for the rest of the season.

29. Matt says:

Not saying Eden Sher is wrong. Sorry.

30. Maren says:

this is a joke

31. liame says:

Hahahahaha!

32. Noor says:

I would have at least given an Honorable mention to Elizabeth henstridge who killed it this week with her performance and depiction of PTSD, It’s been three days and I still want to cry every-time I see a GIF of her crying

33. zed says:

Klayley is whoa!! The scenes were powerful on so many levels- especially when he stopped fighting back!!
    But I also so loved Hayley and Jackon’s sweet reunion!! He is her mate!!

• zed says:

Joseph and Phoebe play off of eachother amazingly in their scenes- one of my favourite scenes were in season ine in the nursery!!
      Daniel Gillies and Nina Dobrev had that same magic in scenes as Elijah and Elena.

34. Maddie says:

I thought Phoebe was great at tackling everything this episode threw at her, from the fight with Klaus and the heartfelt scenes with baby Hope and its great her hard work was recognized! As for naysayers, everyone has an opinion and you are not entitled to agree with this one TV reviewer, just as this reviewer and fans who enjoyed Phoebe’s performance don’t have to agree with you.

35. MFL says:

I must admit, Phoebe has never been my favs on TO but she was amazing when she confronted Klaus to the extend that I go teary eyed when she was yelling about how both their parents had left them and now they are doing the same thing to their daughter…She’s improved heaps over the seasons.

36. marsha says:

Phobe tonkin was amazing i loved it you just beautiful in every scene

37. robin says:

Whoopi Goldberg this week.

38. marsha says:

This is not. About ship this is phobe tonkin bringing tears to my eyes just beautiful

39. Ashley says:

I was watching this episode and HOPING Phoebe would get the accolade but didn’t hold my breath for it. So awesome for her. She’s improving and improving so much and was phenomenal this week.

40. absolutearcena says:

I think Phoebe did an awesome job. I think it was parts that were overacted, but most actors do that. It was a pretty intense scene and you have to build on strong emotions to execute it. I think overall Phoebe has improved and will continue.

41. zac says:

She’s actually good in that episode. I dont get why people are hating on her and this article. A lot of websites even called her the breakout star of The Secret Circle.

• ML says:

She was fantastic on The Secret Circle and so good in this epi. The only people hating in these comments are the ones who find fault in everything she does just cause her character gets in the way of their ship, still…after over 3 years. Must be tiring.

• Lily M says:

Oh come on ! you must be kidding …. this has nothing to do with it. I invite you to leave your CW world and see the other performances that people are saying they are excellent and compare.

• Gen says:

I think its comments like this, and articles like this that are actually damaging for a show. Dismissing all critic as ‘shipping bias’ and thus never acknowledging the issues in writing and performance that have seen such a massive dive in ratings, means no decent course correction, which acerbates the problems. Then we have the people that enable actors like Phoebe, how will she do the work to improve if people with an agenda keep telling her she is amazing she is doing when the opposite is true.

42. wonderful performance…..always got your back phoebe…. #klayle_always_and_forever

43. Nichole says:

Sexy Getting Ready Song was so funny!! Don’t keep up with current pop culture, so don’t know who the rapper that came in was, but his reaction was priceless, and the phone calls at the end to his previous beau’s was just as good! That reaction though really grounded the humour in an over the top song and made it be gem it was :)

44. emma says:

Phoebe performance was amazing.

45. ITA. Wonderful job by PT this week. I feel like she is growing as an actress. Hope she gets more good material from the writers.

46. ana27jan says:

phoebe is fine actress its jst emotional scenes she seems bit awkward whole cw is bunch of mediocre actors its unfair to corner jst one actoress its nt like everyone else gives oscar worth performances . klaus & hayley scenes r jst worth rest r plain boring

47. Shru says:

Wait, Phoebe gets performer of the week for that godawful, cringeworthy performance and Ellen Pompeo doesn’t even get an honorable mention? The subtlety in Ellen’s acting in this week’s ep was so good! Phoebe can’t even get her accent straight. It’s painful watching her scenes. And more painful when episodes are dedicated to her and her godawful, terrible character.

48. Lily M says:

I think she is being given this recognition by going from bad to good, so that’s why she highlights this week and actresses like Ellen P. aren’t recognized because they have always been excellent so don’t highlight when remain excellent.

49. Phoebe was amazing. Klaus and Hayley scenes always knock it out of the park

50. animesforever says:

Phoebe was just unbelievable in this scene. Very deep and hard emotions. I just wanna say congratulations for Joseph and Phoebe for the amazing work. Klayley obviously have a wonderful chemistry and i still waiting the writers create more interactions of this double. hehe! #KLAYLEY

Congratulation, this scene was spectacular! We love you, Phoebe (and Joseph) ! :)