Rookie Blue Renewed Cancelled Season 7

Rookie Blue Cancelled After 6 Seasons

Rookie Blue is officially off duty.

The ABC cop drama has been cancelled after six seasons, the show’s Canadian producers Shaw Media announced on Friday.

“The success of Rookie Blue is a testament not only to the extremely talented team of Ilana Frank, Tassie Cameron, David Wellington and studio Entertainment One (eOne), but the electrifying cast that has resonated with legions of fans that have followed the show since Season One,” said Christine Shipton, Senior Vice President and Chief Creative Officer, Shaw Media. “After six seasons the series reached a natural conclusion and this season’s finale was the perfect wrap up for both our rookies and for fans, especially with the marriage of our favourite couple, Sam and Andy.”

Had Rookie Blue returned, it would have been without longtime executive producer/showrunner Tassie Cameron. Co-EP Sherry White was poised to succeed her.

“I’ve done 74 episodes on this show,” Cameron explained to TVLine. “I love it. I’ve loved it. These people are my family, the actors, the writers, the producers. It is a very, very difficult decision, but by the end of [Season 6], I felt like I’d told the story that I wanted to tell and the show would benefit from being kind of rebooted with somebody’s new vision for it.”

Bummed that there will be no Rookie Blue Season 7? Hit the comments!

1. Stephon JS says:

Summers won’t be the same. But at least all the storylines were wrapped up

2. dancmh says:

It’s a cop show. it will be replaced by one just like it called Blue Rookie by summer.

3. Ginger Murren says:

So sorry to see one of my favorite shows being cancelled! I hope that I will be seeing the actors in one of the other shows on TV!

• Destiny says:

WHAT SHE SAID!!!!! I LOVED THOSE ACTORS AND THE STORIES!!!!

• Brenda says:

Yes the actors made this show! I looked forward to watching it every summer. Hopefully they change their minds and bring it back!

• R.Sweeney says:

Bring back Rookie Blue!Please love that show!

• sherryl says:

so with you. finally a cop show that I love. want all the main characters back. I have seen a few of them in movies and series but just not the same

• sherryl says:

if we don’t see them back in wish them all the best. The actors in this series were, to me, most talented and made you totally forget you were watching a show. Good luck to each and every one of you. I’ll be watching you reruns for a long time. Thank you for some great Canadian dramatic entertainment finally.

4. Not a big shock if you know the economics of Canadian TV. Canadian shows get quite significant tax breaks, but only for the first 5 years. After that, the costs of the program, basically, double. So there’s no incentive to continue. Same thing happened with Flashpoint, the original Degrassi, and co-productions like The Tudors.

• Elissa says:

Heartland is currently airing its 9th season in Canada….

• JPMD says:

You are making a whole lot of assumptions in your post : Canadian subsidies for TV and film are only a small part of whether a production will continue …. as was the case with Flashpoint, international commitments were lost which ended the ability of the show to continue …. the 5 year period you assume is also incorrect: every production is given a tine frame: depending on ratings and sales of the production outside Canada, “tax breaks” will either be continued or withdrawn.

• Katie says:

I was thinking of flashpoint as well!

• acurat says:

Also not a big shock since seasons 5 and 6 were shot together (all in 2014) to take advantage of that tax break. Canadian TV and ABC jointly agreed to finance two more years and one filming session over the 2013-14 year so they filmed 25 episodes in a row, and called it a day. If they tried to bring it back now it would have been after two years and who knows how hard it would have been to bring back the cast in any case. I suspected with the finale as it ended there was a slight chance for a new show with the new rookies, but that was it… and the networks were not interested.

• Laurel says:

so true

• Jen says:

This can be an issue but there are additional tax breaks the show could have received beyond this point. The 2 bigger issues were the buy-outs the signing back of much of the cast. In Canada actors do not receive royalties the same as in the US; rather they receive a lump-sum buy-out at the beginning of the production. This changes after 5 years and can cost production a lot of money.

• Deborah Jones says:

Those were all in Canada I loved this show and flashpoint can’t understand why they are cancelled and yet all these stupid reality and finding love with strangers remain on tv

• Heather Wolf says:

Another one I enjoyed and missed when it was not renewed. I always wondered! Sad to hear…I really enjoyed them both and hope
      they can take a break and return somewhere down the road.

5. Stephanie says:

Summers will definitely not be the same, but I’m glad we got a conclusion. Thanks Rookie Blue for six great summers!

6. Bwhit says:

It had a great finale so while it’s sad, I’m satisfied with how it ended.

7. Broadwayfan says:

It was a good show, and the final episode worked as a finale. But, it would have been fun to see them with rookies.
    My summer viewing should be lighter. I have so many shows that ended or were cancelled. Relieves pressure.

8. Kris says:

I’m disappointed. I really liked this show.

9. Jess says:

i’m not happy with this. It was one of the few shows I watched during the summer and now all I have is Zoo. Oh well at least it ended without a cliffhanger like most shows. But I still think Shaw is stupid to have cancelled this show.

• Steve says:

Agreed. My wife and watched the show from day 1, and loved it. I wish it could have continued as it is/was much better than most of the stuff on tv today.

10. AJ says:

Rookie Blue was my favorite TV series. I even recorded the episodes so I could watch them again. I looked so forward to the summer schedule of shows only because of Rookie Blue. The cancellation is a real loss for fans. It is kind of like losing family.

11. Sarah says:

I’m not surprised, but I’m still sad. It was my favorite summer show. I do blame ABC, though, for not airing it simultaneously with Global like they did the first 4 seasons.

• Nancy says:

Agree with you about ABC hurting Rookie Blue by not airing the show simultaneously with Global. ABC also did nothing to promote the show. So sorry to see the show end. Boo!

12. dellface says:

I came to this show late but caught up on all the episodes and fell in love with the team at 15. I’ll miss them.

13. Vernessa says:

I have watched Rookie Blue from the first season an could not wait until the next season returned. I will truly miss this series and hate to see it go😕I would have one wish if I could meet Sam and Andy. I love them both, even though this was tv, they seem great together. Good Luck and will miss the show.

14. aph1976 says:

I’m sad by this news but at least Rookie Blue had a great finish.

15. Bartbro says:

Thank you Rookie Blue! I will miss you

16. betty says:

I loved this show, so disappointed to see it go.

17. ByeNickHiKev says:

The thing about Canadian shows only getting a tax break for 5 seasons explains what I had heard about the production–seasons 5 and 6 were 11 episodes each instead of 13 because they were made at the same time, as 22 episodes, and then split in half for airing. I remember thinking when they announced that the split would be a whole year, instead of summer/winter or fall/spring like other shows, that the end was nigh. Bringing back the cast after a full year’s break would have to have been a major problem.

18. Darn! I’ll really miss it; I loved the characters and the story lines. Too bad…….

19. Rachel says:

Aw shucks! I’m disappointed and not at the same time. This was easily my favorite summer time show but I’m glad it didn’t end on a cliff hanger.

20. Leanne says:

that’s to bad. keep stupid shows and cancel this one. go figure. I agree, summers wont be the same without rookie Blue

21. Mr. Tran K says:

SADDEST. NEWS. EVER. Rookie Blue will live on forever.

22. Rockie says:

That ain’t right. Summer won’t be the same.

23. A lot of my favourites are gone and replaced by crappy scifi junk or stupid naked reality shows. The realistic family type shows like parenthood, rookie blue and many others that mirrored real life stories that are believable are the best to me. I guess I will have to take up painting or knitting rather than watching TV. Even when customers complain they don’t listen.

• Heidi says:

Cookie, you are spot on! I love the same type of “true to life” series also! I will certainly miss Rookie Blue. Side note… You may like to try my new hobby, the adult coloring books. LOL! They’re very pretty, relaxing & quite fun :)

24. Katie says:

So heart broken!!! I didn’t get to see how Gails life panned out or Chloe and Doc!!!! (Also Chris and Tracy!) What a bummer , I know the actors were ready to move on but I feel jipped out of actual finished stories, the last 2 seasons didn’t help clear anything up!

25. J.B. says:

Isn’t this old news? I thought I read long time ago that this was going to be their last season. Don’t recall a formal press release but I swear there was an article on this site that mentioned it was ending.

26. Alan says:

Considering that the majority of shows on primetime are just mindless drivel. The American viewing public are just watching mindlessly and are becoming zombies. Along comes a show that has some heart and normalty to it and just as one gets to look forward to another season, the powers that be just give up. What the heck can they replace it with?????

27. Spikenalabama says:

NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

28. Sandy Ditty says:

OMG So sad! This is such a great show! Entertaining, Enjoyable, Fun and now it’s gone :-( Thank You cast for giving such amazing performances each and every season! I am so sorry they have canceled such an amazing and fun show! Rookie Blues and the whole cast will be missed!

29. Lane says:

Just wrong, wrong, wrong! So hard to find a show these days that is well written and has a great ensemble cast. This one had it’s challenges at times, but all in all my husband and I looked forward to each episode. So sorry to see it go. RIP

30. Brenda Reeves says:

Please don’t cancel , really liked this show

31. I truly enjoyed watching Rookie Blue. I hope, however, that Rookie Blue reruns will be aired CONSISTENTLY in the very near future.

• Nancy says:

In NY, They’ve started replaying season 1 on ABC on Sunday at 1 am. I have my dvr set.

• Laura says:

There is an android app called droidtv that has the entire series. They have a 14 day free trial, you could download the whole show. Have it all on my droidtv dvr so I can ‘re-download and watch anytime.

• Michael S says:

Here we are a little over a year later and the show is still on late night

32. Kelly says:

Please don’t cancel this show!!! This is one of the only good shows on in the summer. Why?!?

33. Laura Baca says:

This stinks. I love the show. ABC is getting as bad as CBS.

34. I am really sorry to see this show has been cancelled. It was one that I looked forward to watching every week. Seems lately all of the good shows are ending with nothing really left to watch and I will not watch the reality shows. Will miss you all and hope to see you in another program really soon.

35. D.j. Huntley says:

Well now don’t that just suck…..every time there is a good show on that grandson’s can watch that don’t have foul language….violence and sex they take it off…….I am so sad……

36. 221bsam says:

It ended perfectly, I think this was a good move.

37. Ryan says:

This was bar far one of the best TV shows to come out of Canada, and is one of my favorite summer shows!!!! I’m going to miss it!!

38. Bonnie says:

are you kidding me!!!!! there is so much more story to tell this is just wrong to cancel this show!!!!! bring it back!!!!!

39. Carol says:

So sorry to hear Rookie Blue will not be returning…thoroughly enjoyed the series, will miss this show!

40. GraceM says:

Boo!!!!!!!! The show should have gone for another couple of seasons.

41. Reesa says:

Although the final episode was a great conclusion to this great series, I will miss it terribly during those slow summers.

42. Diane says:

This is really bad news. It was the best and I loved it. The characters and actors were the best, I hope that Missy and Ben land on another good series. I guess there won’t be any good shows next summer.

43. lqza says:

I loved this show…………….WAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

44. Susan says:

So sad to see it end! This was the only show I watched during the long hot summer! I wish the best for the cast and crew because it was a job well done!

45. Teri says:

Good show for the summer and I have watched since Season 1. Glad Sam and Andy got married.

46. Barb says:

Its really too bad when Canada produces a top notch show it gets cancelled after 6 seasons. A real shame from a dedicated viewer. I will truly miss it. Hope it is re considered

47. Dave Rudd says:

Another wonderful show kicked to the curb. One wonders if the networks just want multiple versions of CSI and Law & Order to fill their entire schedules.

48. HAP says:

Missy Peregrym played a character named Andy on both Rookie Blue and Reaper.

49. Maxx Jones says:

a summer fave for me and my granddaughter! so sorry to see it go…

50. Man this really ticks me off! everytime I like a show they cancel it! I hate this!

• Tim says:

Let’s please boycott global and Shaw as much as possible!
      They mess up alot of good things!!
      Let’s do it for the memory of rookie B!