Defiance Cancelled

Defiance Cancelled After 3 Seasons

We may never know if Nolan and Doc Yewll ever managed a return to Defiance.

Syfy has cancelled the dystopian sci-fi series after three seasons, the cabler confirmed on Friday. TVLine’s hand-carved Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Defiance was a truly groundbreaking series, delivering an immersive, cross-platform experience that transcended the television screen in a way that viewers had never seen before,” reads a statement issued by Syfy. “We are incredibly proud of the work of the extraordinary cast, writers, artists and designers — and especially showrunner Kevin Murphy — who together brought the rich world of Defiance to life over its three-season arc.”

Added Murphy in his own statement, “I got to collaborate with a group of stunning artists operating at the top of their game, and together we built a world. Because of that, there is no room for anything other than joy in my heart.”

Did you see the end coming, Defiance fans, given that closure-filled finale? Or was anyone holding out hope for a Season 4?

1. John Jacob says:

Isn’t this the show they got rid of Warehouse 13 for? They wanted to increase the budget for Defiance so they got rid of the popular Warehouse 13???? I never watched it but this show must have went downhill fast after such high expectations.

• Katy says:

No, from what I have read Warehouse 13 was about to go into contract negotiations where more money would be involved so they cut it. They did the same with Eureka and I think Haven this year.

• John Jacob says:

Unfortunately after posting I looked around and it did indeed get canceled because of Defiance. The male lead at Comic Con stated SyFy wanted to expand the budget for their breakout show Defiance. They gave Warehouse 13 a 6 episode last season so they could wrap it up. They put all their eggs in the Defiance basket. Warehouse 13 wasn’t even canceled because of ratings. Crazy.

• Lokari says:

I don’t think it’s reasonable to say the show went downhill. I’ve certainly still been enjoying it, and I doubt I’m alone in that. But it’s an expensive show to produce, and to justify that kind of costs it has to maintain a higher level of popularity.

• Scott W. says:

You should watch Defiance start to finish. Warehouse13 wasn’t even close to this show. Defiance was better on every level. Syfy must have a bunch of greedy numbers nerds who don’t know the first thing about what a good Sci-fi show is running this network. they have canned some good shows including this fantastic one. I for one, will not be watching any other series on this lame clueless network again.

2. Jerry says:

Mixed feelings on this. Sad because I enjoyed the cast and the show, and the new series (Dark Matter, Killjoys) just aren’t as good. Happy because honestly last season’s finale was great, and I don’t think they could have matched it again when it came time for a real series finale.

• tvjunkie says:

You;re joking right? Dark Matter was better than Defiance. Defiance was pretty good, but never felt like appointment TV. Dark Matter reminded me of the gold old days when SyFy was SciFi and we had the likes of multiple Stargates and BSG among others.

3. N says:

First Rookie Blue now this ugh! !!!!

4. Brigid says:

Terrible! Defiance is their best show. Once again SyFy messes up. I’m so ticked about this. Jerks

• prish says:

Well, this way they can’t mess it up. shades another unmentioned shows. I saw the finale, and it makes me want to see the series.

• tvjunkie says:

Defiance was a fun show, but it was only the 2nd or 3rd best show they had on Friday nights this past go around. Dark Matter was far superior to both Defiance and Killjoys. You could argue which of those 2 was the 2nd best because since Killjoys got better over the course of the season.

• Steve says:

Couldn’t DISAGREE more….. Defiance was on a different level than any of the other second rate series on this network. To me Defiance defined the genre of sci-fi on tv right now. Syfy blew it. Won’t be watching that channel again.

• Simon Jester says:

Hard as it is to accept, TV is a business, and networks rarely stick with shows that don’t pull in ratings. That being said, Defiance had a good run and got a satisfying conclusion, so while I will miss it, given the low ratings, I don’t particularly blame Syfy.

5. chippy says:

The last episode very much felt like a season finale. I figured if the show returned it would be without Nolan. Am both satisfied with the ending, disappointed it is ending and curious to see what would have happened is S04.

6. SoFla says:

Season 5? You mean 4 don’t you? But yes, I will miss Defiance, was a very enjoyable show and loved the entire cast. This is why I don’t bother finding new shows to watch anymore – the networks have itchy trigger fingers and pull them too quickly just to put more crap on the air. Oh well, always reruns :)

7. Maryann says:

Defiance tied with Haven for my favorite SyFy show. This really did feel like a series ender, so at least they didn’t leave us hanging. I watch Dark Matters and Killjoys, but they just aren’t as good. Defiance will be missed.

8. Luis says:

Sad to see it go, but S3 finale made for a fitting series finale

9. Dean says:

Dark month for SYFY.

10. John NYC says:

I have a tough time with those dystopian ones, but I’ll miss this one.

11. Rene Otero says:

Syfy channel making huge mistakes in cancelling Defiance as well as Dominion…if you put out too many new projects over the course of tv schedule they will suffer the same fate…

• True Believer says:

Yes. They were both good shows. Hopefully, they will not cance12 Monkeys after S2. It is really good. Also enjoy ZNation. Silly – but fun. Like Killjoys ore than Dark Matter but both are getting better. Sometimes I don’t understand why networks don’t give shows a chance to get better. Most find their stride between S2 and S3. Oh well.

• Scifiguy says:

The problem was that when Defiance aired on Mondays it was doing great in the ratings then slipped a little in season 2 when they moved it to Thursdays. But, when you put a show in the the Friday night slot…. that’s just killing the show. Who in the 18-49age bracket is going to stay home and watch tv on a Friday night????? Syfy killed this show and they probably did it deliberately so they could dump the production costs this show needed. Syfy thinks they are a major network or something which they are not. The fact that Defiance still managed to pull over a million viewers on Fridays shows just how good this show really was. Shame on you syfy.

• Seea Jayy says:

True !
        Great Monday – Wednesday night show ! Thursday & Friday are going out days & Saturday & Sunday – Sports days.
        SyFy shouldn’t abandon a franchise – were is the profit in that ? Slap a low sticker price on the item and sell of DEFIANCE to Amazon or Netflix or TRION – keep the show Going in game and online.
        GEEZE – Star Trek makes millions $$ every week and demonstrates what you can earn if you just stick with it !

12. NQ says:

Well, at least we got a semi decent ending in the finale. Such a shame though, since SYFY continues to air wrestling and other ridiculous stuff during prime hours at night and somehow they keep their time slots. I’ll miss Defiance (and Dominion) because they were entertaining and not like the rest of the ca ca airing on other networks right now. RIP Defiance.

13. Win says:

R.I.P. Defiance. Ain’t that some schtako…

14. Rick Woodring says:

Come on, don’t leave us hanging, make a movie at least to bring it all home, Just Like Glades on A & E, I may not want to attempt another cable channel series

• tvjunkie says:

Hanging? As unplanned series finales go I can’t recall any that wrapped things up as well as Defiance did. Some planned series finales don’t wrap things up this well (Chuck, Lost, Sopranos … to name a few).

15. Roy says:

Man, the show finally reached its potential this last season so of course it’s been canceled.

At least they went out on a great season and a nice wrapped up finale.

16. thisismenow says:

Well, at least when Haven’s done I’ll never have to tune into Syfy again. So that’s a positive twist to the story.

17. Erica says:

Dang it!

18. James D says:

well now I’m depressed. Why do so many shows end in such a jarring way. this is Alphas all over again. Dang it I will really miss this show.

19. Dammit Jim says:

I’m not sad. I tried and tried to get into defiance. Halfway thru the second season I just stopped watching. I didn’t care for the characters, the universe, or the story. It wasn’t compelling sci- files space drama. I love Dark Matter and killjoys and am glad they have been renewed. Glad to have some space drama back on the air. I really enjoy dark matter, even though it is pretty much stargate-lite.

20. Rob Young says:

Wonder why I watch any syfy shows at all I just start to get into it and its canned and its not the first time.
    I think I might just stay away from anything that is produced by SyFy from now on

21. maregolden says:

I will miss Defiance, but the writing was on the wall with that season finale. Sadly, I think the third year was the best one of all.

22. m3rcnate says:

Showrunner and writers should have seen the writing on the wall and not left the show so up in the air story-wise.
    Yes I am pissed at the networks for begging us (viewers/fans) to watch and love the show and discuss it on social media and introduce family and friends to it, then they cancel it when ratings aren’t great and the story is left completely up in the air and never tell us what was going to happen and how it would end.
    However I am starting to get more and more pissed at these showrunners knowing they are writing for a struggling show and instead of finding a creative way to wrap up most of the story-lines so if the season finale is the series finale, the fans will feel satisfied…they do what Defiance did, what Graceland did, what Forever did, what Helix did, and what Dominion did (though I don’t blame them for it per-se).
    I wish it was financially feasible for shows to at least come back and shoot a 2 hour TV movie that wraps up the stories and character arcs and the series. A network that did that to satisfy the fans and make cancelled shows sting less for the fans would probably be a huge hit.

23. The Bluelady says:

Such a tragedy for the world of SyFy! Another great show is taken. I wonder why “they” still call it SyFy Channel. I suppose this will be added to the list of great shows cancelled. It will be missed.

24. Kono says:

Whats wrong with syfy network they have canceled everything they had going for them

25. Richard says:

Really gutted about this. Last season was firing on all cylinders … Great writing and great characters. It was very similar to Deep Space Nine with aliens and cultures all huddled together in one location. One of my favorite shows gone :-(

26. nick says:

I am sorry to see Defiance go. I was initially skeptical of the series but it grew on me as time went on and I think the show kept improving. At least it had a fitting series finale.

27. Ray says:

Wow, looks like Syfy is really cleaning house

28. reddkl says:

When are they going to cancel the wrestling. Now THAT sucks and shouldn’t be on SyFy.

29. Kammgirl says:

A very sad day for true sci-fi. I like Dark Matter and Killjoys but they are not even close to Defiance as far as quality and story. Defiance was the network’s only show that had a true immersive sci-fi drama with different species, work building and even multiple langyages. The characters were complex and complicated and every season had a consistent storyline. I do feel they wrapped things up, but I would live a TV movie or for it to be picked up by a streaming network.

30. Lucy says:

I can’t believe another show canceled. Tv really suck. Gonna stick to my games. They never let me down

31. ladybug2535 says:

I LOVE Defiance. I’m really going to miss this show. I’m glad that it at least had a psuedo-ending. It’s a cliffhanger I can (sort of) live with. Still I’m very sad to see it end. It is so hard to find decent sci-fi. I understand that they are expensive to produce, but dang they are worth it! It’s a genre that allows the imagination to run wild and writers to explore all of the “what-ifs” to their heart’s content. It’s a genre that can explore the human condition, politics, tech , space travel, aliens, bigotry, even religion and take feasible scenarios to the most outlandish extreme while keeping it believable (when done right). Defiance was very much about the people–alien or not, and that’s what made it so good.

32. I really loved this show and how they handled sensitive issues we are faced with everyday, especially racism. Well written, directed, and acted I will miss this very timely show

• TruSciFiFan says:

This show will be missed. Don’t think syfy realized what they had here. It was a defining show like Game of thrones is to fantasy and Modern family is to comedy Defiance was to sci-fi. Syfy are idiots not to have realized this and not let this show develop. This show would have continued to grow a fanbase if they didn’t move it to the “deadzone” Friday night timeslot, and actually gave it some better promotion. Maybe they will give some more time and budget to more wrestling or another reality show about who gives a f%#!

33. Philip says:

Really they best show Syfy has to offer…and they cancel it with a ending like that?

Please tell me they canceled Z Nation as well that show sucks…and don’t, do not get me started on Warehouse 13 and Haven being canceled…I’m still devastated over that.

I feel like I did when I watched Beth die on Walking Dead.

All I got to say is Mother Dick!

34. Your X SyFy Girl says:

I think I am going to have to break up with SyFy. You think SySy cares and is making me happy with shows like Haven, Continuum, Dark Matter, Bitten, Defiance, Dominion, Lost Girl, Olympus, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary and Eureka, then you start to trust them and it is cancelled… No more expectations, you are going to always take away what I love. It is over. No More setting me up. So how do I set up NETFLEX anyway?

35. Kelley Hirst says:

I am disappointed but not surprised, Good shows have a short life span on Syfy especially if they are expensive to produce. I liked Defiance. It was like a wild west Caprica. Why did they shift around its time slot if it was doing well on the Monday night in its first season?

I was just starting to forgive Syfy after they cancelled SGU. I like Dark Matter and love Killjoys so I hope they will last beyond their adolescence.

36. SeeJhay says:

I STILL want Season 4,5,6,7,8 of DEFIANCE. AT LEAST a movie of the initial invasion and Pale Wars. Look at the movie ‘District 9’ – it did very well. Even a 4 part mini series of movies could act as a prequel setup for Defiance. We all love the show & game and very sorry to see it go. Amazon or Netflix should pick up the show…

37. bernie says:

what a shame i loved that show.it was so realistic going to miss it. I Guess the big bosses dont care for the viewers who keep syfi alive. I think we know better

38. Johnathan says:

I will miss this show.. :(

I really wanted to learn more about the species on the show especially ones like the Gulanee and the Volge.. It’s also a shame there was not much content added to the video game. It all just seemed to end.

39. chrid6969 on PS3 says:

Any of commentator here play the game? Does this mean Trion will kill the game? I hope they unlock a offline mode for “Old Schooler’s”. (The ones who bought the game before it became free to play) .

40. Seea Jayy says:

WHY ?

Why did they cancel DEFIANCE after only 3 years? Geezers, coulda gone at least Five !

I love the DODGE // integrated into the game world…

Could SyFy PLEASE Sell Defiance to TRION, Amazon, or Netflix ?

It would be greatly appreciated if they could expand and continue the story in the Game world…

And PLEASE Franchise the Need/Want Bar & Grill… ok? ok no girls for ‘hire’ but the Need want had a great vibe. Make a great post-apocalypse themed Dance club, SiFy Restaurant and delicious Bar & Grill !

41. Sad this show was awesome! was really looking fwd to the next season! Syfy you should really reconsider this one… only show you got that is better is FaceOff

42. Raymond Ingalls says:

This is a outrage I look forward to defiance.

43. Joah Strolen says:

kill joy and Dark Mater renewed but defiance not ? really…. brilliant minds working

44. Jeannette says:

Why is it you networks always cancel the good shows. Defiance was a great show, cast and acting. Why get rid of a good thing this is why I stop watching certain networks because of stuff like this. When another network cancelled Longmire I stopped watching their network been so long can not even remember the name of the network and a lot of people stopped watching that network for that reason as well same with the show The Glades. These stupid reality shows are killing our TV programming which is why some shows are canceled. Canceling Defiance was not a good move and it will truly be missed shame on the network.

45. d282 says:

I’m surprised that Syfy cancelled Defiance. My husband and I thought it was really good. Usually Syfy’s series lasts about 5 years. I guess the ratings for Defiance were not too high.

46. Tom Cruise loves Balls says:

Damn you to hell!

• Julie says:

I second that! Was it too big of a task for you, Syfy, to keep producing a show that had original characters and costuming? Was it too expensive to pay for all the makeup and makeup artists? I noticed the Omec stopped being as purple after a while, and the Irathients all started looking more and more human. I also think you killed off good characters because they were too expensive for you. I was willing to put up with that, though, for the great story line! Boo on you, Syfy!